Ameriprise Financial Employee Reviews

Found 968 reviews matching the search See all 1,051 reviews
Great culture, limited growth
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2018
Working in the franchise channel there is a good mount of autonomy, however due to the level of industry fee compression, if you are not associated with a standout team growth will be very difficult.
productive
Print/Mail Professional of Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 8, 2018
Poor management and favoritism from supervisor. Hardest part of job was no communication and not good team players. Very fast paced which I didn't mind. I run a big machine which I don't enjoy, has a lot of problems constantly and I'm not very mechanically inclined. Would like to do be more in an office setting ,desk job. Benefits and vacation are fair. Would like more of a variety of tasks. I am always doing the same thing and would like to know i have the opportunity for advancement in company.
Pros
Poor management
benefits
Good Place to start
Client Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 7, 2018
-They pay for all your licenses
-It's a good place to learn and gain experience
(get your licenses, place trades, learn to interact with clients, learn about different products, and once you reach your growth potential go somewhere else)
-They recruit college students who are motivated and will take a low paying Salary
-Most employees are in their low 20's
-They offer continuous training and designations and will refund you once you pass the tests
-It can get old fast as it's a call center
-There is a lot of competition and you are awarded for meeting goals through food mainly but they also offer monthly bonuses
-Its all about what you can do for me today and not what you did yesterday
-Pay is low for the amount of work you do and how much money you make for the company
-Turn over is high. People pass the tests and go somewhere else once they realize managements agenda (managers are in their mid 20's) and that they can go somewhere else for better pay and less work.
-The company has been around for over hundred years but the department (AAC) has been around less than 10, the company is constantly trying to figure out how they can improve. But in the end, the logistics is confusing as well as their compensation metrics.

Overall, the culture is the best. Young people who are team players.
But the stress is very high for all levels.

They have a 401k with match. Pension after 1 year. If you want a secure job with routine this is the place, but if you want to maximize your pay you can take these skills and go somewhere else.
Pros
Free lunches, events
Cons
30 min lunch, high call volume, work overload, incompetent managers, business model
Long time employee
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
Like many things, it is what you make of it. There have been great bosses, there have been less great bosses. There have been great projects, there have been less great projects. Some decisions makes sense and some seem very confounding. It's a difficult company to review in some regards as I've been here for a long time and worked a few different jobs and even the jobs have been different over time.
Pros
With the right leader you can accomplish tasks and grow as a contributor
Cons
When you are stuck with a manager instead of a leader, it can be difficult to survive at all
Overall good place to work
Operations Expert (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 3, 2018
I've really enjoyed working at Ameriprise for the last few years. I have learned a lot and been able to advance very quickly. I know the work that I do is appreciated by some. My schedule is flexible so I can basically never be late. The opportunities for growth are never ending if you're willing to put on the work to get it done.
I'm able to balance work and life because overtime isn't approved and I won't work for free. My colleagues rely heavily on "someone else will do it" which tends to fall on a couple people from the team. Leaders haven't acted yet on any of the issues brought up by the entire team regarding lazy employees. Working from home is up to the leader so having a revolving door of leaders is really frustrating.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility in hours
Cons
Lack of ownership/discipline on team
Review Summary
Inside Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 2, 2018
Hated having to spend all day talking to angry Costco members who seemed to be 100% certain that they were going to pick up a super-cheap insurance policy, no matter what their claims history looked like.
fast paced, client oriented financial services company
Office Manager / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2018
Fast paced, great clients, client oriented, supportive of family life,
great pay and benefits. Flexible hours. Financial Advisors are great to work with.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not alot of overtime
Fun place to work at.
Brokerage Specialist - Unlicensed (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 28, 2018
Fun place to work at. Our temp team was very collaborative and worked very well together - which made the process of everything we did go smooth. I would definitely refer someone to work at Ameriprise.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Expensive cafeteria
Grateful for the opportunity
Client Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CANovember 27, 2018
I cherished the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of financial advisors and the additional bonus of being able to work with the best clientele in the world (in my opinion). The clients were extremely grateful and appreciative for the service they received and were a pleasure to work with.
I worked with a Private Wealth Advisory Group, one of the top rankings that Ameriprise offers. The technology continued to be top notch and many opportunities were offered (virtually) to increase in skill sets.
One of my favorite aspects of this company was the opportunity to plan and coordinate company events for our clients. The ability to treat people as the most important part of your job is paramount to me.
Very prodcutive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 26, 2018
I own my own franchise and dictate my own hours. This is what I prefer. I plan on selling franchise with the next 12 months and looking for a work at home job (or virtual office for several years until I officially retire in 6-7 years.
Unattainable goals
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 21, 2018
While you are working on you series 7 you are a telemarketer setting appointments. After that you sell personalized plans that aren't personalized. The plans are a plug and play program that basically says the same thing for 95% of the clients. Financial planners are pushed to sell products based in highest company return rather than what is appropriate for the client.
Open and Very Community Driven Place to Work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 20, 2018
Ameriprise has a big focus on their openness to hiring employees and has a big focus on driving community driven initiatives to help out where there is need. The job itself can be stressful and upper management definitely has high expectations on where things are improving and looking to create a Lean environment as much as possible.
Pros
Great Benefits, one of the best in the industry.
Cons
Stressful situations, sometimes due to poor initial planning on projects.
Product limited company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 16, 2018
Not much to say about this company. I was bought out because of a complaint on my u5. I didnt agree with this decision but I had no other choice. I had to find a new career because of this.
I loved this position.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 15, 2018
The only reason I left was to pursue a career that Ameriprise was not currently hiring for. I enjoyed working there very much and learned a lot. I would recommend it.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Limited Advancement Opportunities
Collaborative Teams
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 13, 2018
Ameriprise communicated well with several different departments and it was a collaborative company.

Working with other teams gave everyone a strong sense of how we all contributed to the company's goals. We had a better understanding of what our peers's day to days would look like.
Pros
Enjoyed co-workers
Cons
Teams ran lean
Take advantage of the poor
Registered Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 11, 2018
Sell the same products to every client. Customers are sold on doing financial plans every year when it is unnecessary. Financial advisers sell expensive annuities to make the biggest commission product.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
micromanagement
Overall good place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis MNNovember 8, 2018
They have great development opportunities in place such as online courses, job shadowing, mentoring opportunities, etc. I'd say that development is definitely encouraged here. Benefits like health, & vacation are ok compared to what I had elsewhere but sufficient.
equity research
Equity research Internship (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILNovember 6, 2018
reviewed trends in markets. used non consumer reports. used forcasting, statistical models to predict how well the stock is going to perform in 3 months 6 months. Identified price targets
great staff, professional office, enjoyable tasks
Client Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 6, 2018
It is a professional office and my boss and coworkers are great to work with. I divide my time between scheduling, client correspondence and various administrative tasks in relation to client portfolios.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with our clients in person, on the phone and via email.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no employee benefits i.e. healthcare, bonuses
Poor Management in Risk Management
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2018
Management is not helpful at all in developing employees as they are more worried about their own job security. Also, provides false reviews of project consultants if they do not like you personally. This is unhelpful in obtaining future contract positions with Ameriprise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameriprise Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

57%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss