Ameriprise Financial Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor Management Decisions and Direction
Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 16, 2018
Upper management makes changes without understanding impact to current environment. Middle management is a mess. The amount of IT work that is no longer done in the United States is scary. Lack of depth and skills to get projects done correctly and efficiently is not there. IT Teams don't work together and there is a lack of competence across the entire IT Organization.
Pros
Standard benefits
Cons
Would have to work for Indiaprise
Fast paced work environment with normal corporate micro managing
Assist client (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 16, 2018
Ameriprise is not a bad place to get your career started and begin to understand how the corporate lifestyle is. The micro managing at foresters is hard to deal with but the colleagues are nice. The benefits are decent and the fact that you get rolling over sick days as well is a bonus but ultimately the first 90 days you work there. They really want you to put in an additional 30-40 hours a week to get licensed which if you are just starting your career and not sure that want to stay in the industry it can create a non existent work life balance
Pros
PTO and defined path for advancement
Cons
work life balance, management
Very cozy office right on the water
Office Manager/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Falmouth Foreside, MEAugust 13, 2018
My schedule was a very relaxed easy 9-2 schedule. I had a nice office right on the water. I was able to make my coffee and then check emails and set up appointments for clients. All the clients that would come in were very friendly and they all had stories to share. A very enjoyable work day.
Pros
On the water, friendly clients, relaxed
Intern
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Briarcliff Manor, NYAugust 10, 2018
As in intern, I learned how to review Morningstar reports, make recommendations on client portfolios, the buy/sell process and how a client meeting is run. I was encouraged to pursue the series 7 but decided that investing was not my forte.
Great job for college grads who live with parents
Financial Planning Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 10, 2018
Salary is great for grad students with low cost of living. Great culture, and very friendly co-workers. Good practice for providing exceptional customer service. Everyday is very occupied in a good way.
Pros
Free lunch, team bonding events
Cons
Healthcare premiums on not fully covered by company
Ameriprise Financial was a good company to work for.
Abandon Property (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2018
I was with the company for near 17 years and I like it. They had a great balance of work and family and they really invested in their employees. They had great advancement at the company.
Working
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 8, 2018
I was cashiering for the first year of working there, i make coffee all day and count the drawers down at the end of the day. the second year i assisted the manager with things she needed help with. i resigned when she retired.
Good Company
Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYAugust 2, 2018
Ameriprise financial was a great place to intern at. The corporate structure is good and the workload was not overbearing. People are very friendly and want to help and I learned a lot.
Good people
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 1, 2018
Good people to work with. Clients are easy going. Very laid back place to work. Everyone is provided with their own private office. Learned quite a bit out the financial industry.
Going the wrong direction
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2018
It was alright. A little too much micromanaging. Cared too much about the bottom line at times as opposed to what might be best for employees or the customers. It didn't seem to be a sustainable business model, focusing on milking current clients for all they can instead of prospecting new ones. Slow to adapt technology to stay competitive, and the technology they do adapt is woefully inadequate compared to what else is out there. Management constantly would make changes to everything, from small to large processes, compensation and team structures. They would take input from employees but never seemed to use any of it. Out of touch with where the financial services industry is headed, and out of touch with their employees to a degree. Beyond that, everyone is nice enough and you're able to get along with them.
Communication, professionalism and many other skills
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  MinneaolisJuly 31, 2018
I have enjoyed a professional career with many benefits and promotional opportunities. I specialize in projects related to new product launches and fixing existing systems, products
Toxic Culture
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  SomewhereJuly 31, 2018
Company has long term employees that provide a toxic culture experience for newer employees coming in. Company is trying to overcome this however until there is a turnover in longer term employees I do not see how this culture will change.
Financial, Insurance knowledge a plus
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49546July 31, 2018
Client Service, applications, database, many different computer programs always changing, detailed work - requires a good memory and understanding of financial compliance issues.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Long hours - I was the owners wife
Great Place to Work
Financial Assistant/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNJuly 30, 2018
This was a great place to work. I highly recommend Ameriprise Financial. I was not able to stay there due to medical issues, but would love to go back some day.
Review from Denny Zeller, Chief Pilot, VP
Chief Pilot, VP (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 29, 2018
Enjoyed the passengers and members of the flight department I worked with. Our trips were mostly domestic trips with 1 or 2 international trips. We flew a Hawker jet a few years and then upgraded to a Gulfstream IV. Our trips were completed successfully and always received positive feedback. Our senior management made excellent use of the corporate jet. Our plane was well maintained and we never delayed or cancelled a trip.
Pros
All around it was a great place to work..…
Cons
The plane was moved to NY and the department was shut down.a
Stressful
Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTJuly 24, 2018
No Team
No communication
Poor training
Time off but not happy when used
micromanaged
no boundaries
no privacy
no recognition for anything done
no respect
All office management (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJuly 20, 2018
office manager / registered assistant / loved the owner / working hours were good / environment was positive / close to shopping for stuff to do over lunch periods
excellent place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 19, 2018
Ameriprise is awesome a really great place to work, non judgmental and lots of PTO, I want to go back to this company just waiting for the right job to open
Pruductive and informative place to work
Client Service Coordinator/Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 19, 2018
I learned a lot about stock markets, securities, financial planning, tax planning, and retirement planning. CNN is always on! :-D

My boss never micro-managed and made the workplace a jovial place to be although sometimes our Home Office never made things easy.

I will miss working with Pradeep Bhashyam and it was hard coming to this decision, but my moving to Georgia had to happen for career opportunities.
Pros
Free lunches on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Cons
Sometimes overtime wouldn't be paid for scheduled late events.
Na
Inside Sale Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
No much upward movement unless you willing to relocate to headquarter or even option to transfer to ameriprise financial since they are franchise. That is reason why I left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameriprise Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

62%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss