Ameritas Employee Reviews

Learned a lot
Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2018
felt management was unorganized and did not communicate well. felt the company was misleading by promising me a full time position, but after the busy season was over they let me go with out any explanation. there was also inadequate training. The expected protection but did not provide you with the tools to be successful.
Pros
a great leaning experience
Cons
poor management
Treated as expendable
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 18, 2018
40+ hours a week, mandatory overtime, converting 15 year old scripts to a new system.
Tiring and unfulfilling and thankless.
It was a temp position, so I had little reason to care about the final product. Once they were done extracting value from me, they kicked me out the door.
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78230July 14, 2018
This is a good place to work if you are just starting out in your career or if you want to stay with a company for a long time. The offer full benefits and 401K. However, the home office is in Lincoln NE which is where the majority of career opportunities are.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of career advancement if working in a field office
It's like being in high school again but you get a paycheck.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 20, 2018
Just like any other job it starts out nice but quickly becomes more depressing the longer you stay with the company.

Management does not care about their employees. If they like you, you can pretty much do whatever you'd like because you'll not be reprimanded in any way. However, if you're not a favorite than you might as well turn around now and look for another place.

Get used to being in meetings if you aren't already. This company has entirely too many meetings about absolutely nothing and will follow that meeting up with additional meetings to review previous meetings (sound confusing? That's how everyone feels when we have to sit in those cold rooms and listen to rambling).

Cafeteria is nice to have but it's extremely overpriced for what you get and most of the food has no flavor to it.

Pretty flexible with situations that come up and nice benefits but it's really not worth staying for.
Pros
Free parking, decent coworkers, flexible
Cons
Terrible management, overpriced food, poor work life
Nowhere to grow
Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 19, 2018
Highly under utilized talents and nowhere to use them. Not a destination job for the position that I was in. Looking for a more viable career path for myself
Typical 9-5 job
Provider Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2018
You're trained for about 10 weeks on phones, as well as claims processing. Even if you have never worked in call center job before, they will train you thoroughly. Your schedule is based on how well you do in the training class. Management was well. Your team leaders would go over your stats every month with you. You would get calls from members, dental and visions offices based off of benefits for specific members. From my experience, I would get some bad calls every now and then, but mostly the typical calls. The hardest part for me about the job was offering the survey. We were required to give 30 surveys each month, but a majority of the time, people would not take the survey if it was offered.
Great Place to Learn And Grow Your Buisness
Associate Producer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 29, 2018
At Ameritas the Focus is to do what is best for our clients, we work diligently to put the best possible financial plans in place in order to meet clients financial goals.

Ameritas is continuously working on having the most competitive and quality products in the financial services field, as agents we work on personal introduction basis, so the company money goes mainly to the product not to the marketing of the company.

We do not look for Clients to be 90% sure of their plan but 100% sure of their plan.
No room for advancement.
Underwriting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 18, 2018
Management doesn't manage in the department I am currently in. There is too much favoritism based on who knows who and how the individual has been long employed.
Sales Coordinator and Sales Operations
Sale Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 13, 2018
Log in manually rated and experience rated case. Run quotes for groups fewer than 10 live. Answer sales rep questions regarding plan design and limitations. Process the following weekly reports Anticipated Production Log, Case Log Report and broker production report. Process incoming sold case payments.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of advancement
Horrible management
None (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 5, 2018
Everything was great at first but the management is horrible and Human Resources just backs them up. I would never recommend anybody working here. It's like a poison apple. It looks good and taste good at first.
Only work there if you're desperate
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NEMay 1, 2018
They make claims examiners be on the phones all the time, tons of overtime, and only get two 10 min breaks the whole day and a 30 min lunch. They punish you for having a sick day and it's difficult to get the days off that you want.
Only good for the money
Relations Rep (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 26, 2018
This place is a fine place to work if you're just looking for money. However, they are years behind on technology and the management has horrible communication techniques. The job description I applied for and what I actually do every day is completely different. I cannot wait to get out of this job. I didn't take the benefits, but I've heard they are good. I cannot recommend this job to someone as a career though, unless you like feeling like just a body in the chair answering phones.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
New Business Rep/CSR
New Business Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 17, 2018
I started at Ameritas as an New Business REp who processed all new life insurance applications that came through, by the end of my career here I was processing and issuing all Life Applications. I worked for the Western Region, so I had to work longer and later hours than the rest of my team. I also was part of our BPM testing team who would come in on the weekends to test all updates. I was always willing to learn any new issues with our department and would be the main mentor for our region.
Pros
Parental Elder Care Time Off
Cons
NO BREAKS outside of the buidling
Decent at first
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 13, 2018
It is decent at first but the constant mandatory overtime and micromanaging causes a severe emotional strain. The PTO was combined vacation and sick days. Generally about 15 days worth.
Very stressfull place
Examiner / Production (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 9, 2018
Most of the time there is overtime.
Really bad management.
Hard to get your numbers done, very stressful.
30 min lunch and only two, 10 min breaks each during the day.
Sitting in front of the computer most of the day.
Pros
OT Paid time and a half, Really good benefits.
Cons
Really bad management, No sick days, No growth within the company.
N/a
DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST- OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 31, 2018
They are lacking in technology and consistency in some areas. They have decent benefits for their employees. Also they do not have the right structure and depending who your manager certain people have different guidelines.
If call centers don't bother you
Provider Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 30, 2018
It was an above average call center. Desks are big and nice, the people are friendly, and they do lots of fun mini events for employees. There's two 10 min breaks in the day and a 30 min lunch. Only full time is allowed. They also allow Teleworking positions for some employees
Pros
Coworkers, lunch events, cafeteria downstairs, big desk
Cons
short breaks, back to back calls
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NEMarch 26, 2018
Job security, great co-workers. Fair compensation, great department training. Processing insurance claims for patient gives a sense of satisfaction. Telephone skills
Pros
fullfilling
Cons
too much mandatory overtime
One of my best jobs ever
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 20, 2018
Great company to work for. They care about their employees, their well being, their families, their time off, and what they do in their free time. Hoping and ensuring everyone gets good rest while they are off.
Very poorly managed
GROUP ADMIN ASSISTANT FOR GROUP INSURANCE LINE (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 20, 2018
From the top, starting with the President of Group Division at Ameritas, down to the Team Leaders over the Admin Team, the management is very poorly structured, very poorly educated, conducts their teams in very poor fashion.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameritas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight