Ameritas Employee Reviews

Negative, management plays favorites and manipulates bonus data. Company is NOT a hiring minority’s, Sales meeting all white.
Network Management (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 6, 2019
Awful racist company. Management plays favorites and Directors and Managers minipulate bonus data. Management gives direction on what to do when it helps them, then later says not true. Had to keep a CYA folder for this reason. Company is not interested in diversity. Run away from this company.
Pros
Cons
racist company, corrupt management
Great company
Litigation & Records Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 3, 2019
Great company with great benefits including health insurance, paid time off, retirement plan, Health Savings Account,work life balance and flexible work schedules.
Work Life Balance
Sr. Analyst - Development & Integration (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 19, 2019
My first 18 years I really enjoyed working at Ameritas. It was a family-like atmosphere with persons from all departments working together to solve problems. I enjoyed training opportunities and some travel to conferences related to my job. I was always busy, which I prefer. I enjoyed communicating with other associates. My supervisor cared about my job and helped develop my strengths.
Lately, with some new management, the company has not been replacing lost employees, but trying to distribute the work of the open jobs to other employees. The stress of trying to do 2 or 3 jobs is a bit much.
Also, our paperwork just increased exponentially every year. It can take twice as much time to do the paper work as the actual work.
Pros
job security, training
Cons
Too much work and pressure
April 19, 2019

Thanks for this feedback! We’re glad you enjoyed so much of the time you spent at Ameritas. We continue to put in place a variety of professional training and personal development programs that helps make more and better leaders, and most feedback suggests we’re having success with that. We’re also implementing new technologies, systems and processes to stay competitive, while matching skill sets to job roles. It’s true Ameritas isn’t the same place it was 18 years ago, but that’s because we’re a larger company, and competing effectively in an industry that itself has changed dramatically. We really appreciate the quality work and effort you gave while at Ameritas, and certainly wish you the best in the next phase of your life and career!

Loved my coworkers
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 25, 2019
I loved my job and felt like I really learned a lot. I was not busy enough and kept asking for work. This organization is incredibly top heavy and they are fond of their titles, but don't back up the walk with the talk.
March 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. We’re always glad to hear that former employees loved their job and their coworkers. We also love to hear that they learned a lot, because the growth and development of our team members is a very high priority for Ameritas. We’re sorry you didn’t feel busy enough, and wish more people could have known that, because the outcome might well have been different. We wish you the very best in your next position.

Not enough advancement
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2019
No room for growth. no autonomy.
learned about retirement plans
not enough diversity
Not able to work freely
Utilizing my skills when allowed
I have nothing more to add to this review, whoever wants to apply for a job there could freely do so and experience it for themselves
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
March 26, 2019

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to review Ameritas. It can be more difficult to see this when working remotely or in a small location with fewer staff, but we work hard to build a diverse and inclusive work force, and to invest with care in the growth of every employee. We wish you the best and hope that you find a role where you feel your needs are being met.

Great working environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 19, 2019
Great company to work for and build a career. I’ve been there for years and have grown due to the support of all peers and upper management teams. I plan to work here full time.
February 14, 2019

Thanks for that great review! Our mission of fulfilling lives is what drives us to offer our customers so many valuable insurance products and financial services. But we’re also focused on helping our associates at every Ameritas location enjoy more fulfilling lives, at work and outside the office. We hope you continue to experience that throughout your career.

Adequate
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 15, 2019
I enjoyed working here for the first 10 years, but the role of my department has changed drastically in the last two. I no longer feel any joy with my work, other than helping my customers. There is no promise of advancement and I am no longer happy.
Pros
Good benefits, salary
Cons
Low job satisfaction with little chance for advancement
February 14, 2019

Thank you for this candid feedback. We’re always ready to grow and improve, and we hope our associates feel that way too. Helping fulfill lives is our mission, and that applies to our own team as much as it does to our customers. Ameritas is growing and evolving, but our commitment to associates is unchanged – we want everyone to feel the importance of their work, and to enjoy doing it most of the time. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner to discuss ways to keep moving your career forward.

Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NEDecember 6, 2018
They do not care about your mental health, and you are micromanaged to the second of every day. You get 2 10 min breaks and 30 min lunch. They don't care if you are sick and get everyone else sick, they make you come in. Its impossible to get a day off and you get in trouble for just going to the bathroom if it's not on a scheduled break. It the management doesnt like you, get a new job because they will watch you like a hawk and any mistake gets you a warning.
February 26, 2019

We pay close attention to employee comments, especially unfavorable ones, and after confirming some facts, use that feedback to make improvements when and where they’re needed. We’re sorry you’re so unhappy, but glad input like yours is rare, and we encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner if you’re still feeling this way. We do indeed care about your mental health and your job satisfaction. It can be demanding work at times, and not for everyone, but it also has many benefits, and we want everyone to have the best work experience possible.

Do not recommend if you have a life
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 20, 2018
In the claims and benefits department, there is almost always mandatory overtime, even when they tell you they will eventually cut back on the overtime. The pay is decent but the benefits are horrible. You are subject to a very strict schedule that you must adhere to if you want to move up at all in the company. It also affects your yearly bonus/raise. If you make one mistake on a claim you process, it affects your performance. There is next to nobody there is you need help, and when you do reach out, most people talk to you like you are in idiot and you can tell they are frustrated that they have to assist you. Management is a joke. Your team leaders pick and choose who they want to favor. They ignore everyone else or are very snarky to those they do not prefer. They just changed to paid time off guidelines in 2018. Prior to 2018, they gave you all the PTO you were eligible at the beginning of the year and told everyone they had to use it or they would lose it. In November of 2017, after most people had used their PTO, they sent out notice that starting January 2018, you had to accrue all PTO. Therefore, nobody had PTO at the beginning of the year. The flu went around the office and several people either stayed at work and passed the flu around because they couldn't afford to go home and not get paid, or others went home and missed out on pay. They were also subject to disciplinary action because they didn't have PTO. This is a long review and I could go on even more but I would not recommend this company/position.
Pros
Pay, occasional food days
Cons
strict adherence, benefits
February 26, 2019

We pay close attention to all employment feedback, including negative comments, confirming facts and making improvements when warranted. We also correct the record when necessary and are grateful that input like yours is rare. As a competitive employer, we provide quality, affordable health plans and some great perks ─ like 8 hours per month of paid time for volunteering in the community, student loan repayment and adoption assistance. Yes, like many companies we’ve changed to an accrual PTO system, but you can always borrow against it. We’re sorry you didn’t enjoy your time working with us. We wish you luck and hope your next job is a better fit. Thank you again for the feedback.

M ANAGED CARE PROVIDER NETWORK SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 15, 2018
Great place to work. Different departments vary depending on your manger. Have a lot of activites promoting different things. Wish they were better at hiring within.
October 26, 2018

So glad you enjoy working at Ameritas and the various activities we offer. We try to keep it fun and invite involvement. When it comes to hiring at Ameritas, we encourage our managers to interview our internal people for open positions. If you applied for a specific position and didn’t get an interview or wonder why you were not selected, please reach out to our Talent Acquisitions team. They can help you find out more information including how to achieve your Ameritas career goals. Thanks so much for your review.

Dental Insurance
Benefits Specialist, Dental/Vision (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NEOctober 7, 2018
I had to take phone calls about dental insurance and provide coverage information to the doctors nurses and consumers as requested and process dental claims to make sure got paid according to the programs.
Overall a great group of people to work with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 26, 2018
I worked at Ameritas for a total of 17 years. I became close to my coworkers and managers. It was a team environment. In the early years I was able to work four ten hour days. Enjoyed that extra day off. My primary job duties consisted of paying dental and vision claims at a high rate per day. Speed was a factor in the review process.

Eventually phone calls were incorporated in our day regarding inquiries of claim and policy guidelines. I took from 80 to 100 calls a day in addition to processing claims. We were the sounding board of the company.

My annual reviews didn't allow for any significant salary increase. So I was very unhappy with the expectations put upon me. I tried for 6 years to move to a different department. Received numerous interviews, but felt since I lacked a college degree, was unable to advance.

I did work in underwriting for a very short period. Left the company the first time to be a stay at home mother. Upon reentering the company in 2006, I was again working in the original claims department primarily taking phone calls. That proved to be disheartening. Sometimes working in a corporate setting isn't very fulfilling.
Pros
Nice group of people to work with. Understood work life commitments. Was granted 5 weeks vacation.
Cons
Extremely low wages in comparision to the expectations, only got about 2 minutes in between calls to notate, so had to multitask during the call.
October 10, 2018

Thank you for 17 years of service – an impressive commitment. A high-volume environment like the one you worked in is a challenge that requires people skills and the ability to multi-task. We love to hear about people having close friends at work; it makes such a big difference in job satisfaction. Since we try to promote work-life balance, we’re glad that the flexible schedule worked to your advantage. A suggestion for anyone: When seeking a new role, ask HR or the managers you interviewed with for feedback. If you discuss your goals with our in-house recruiters, their specialized knowledge and strategies can help you find your next career at our company. We will keep monitoring our compensation at all levels to make sure our employees are compensated equitably and to stay competitive within our industry. Thanks for your comments.

Enjoyable...if you have the right people around you
Actuarial Intern (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 6, 2018
Work can be dull, but if you find some people that you enjoy being with, you'll be just fine. Management has put a lot of emphasis on work-life balance. If you're overwhelmed, make sure to say something.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful review. What you said is true both in life and at work: The people you surround yourself with make all the difference. We really want a fun place to work and strive to achieve that at Ameritas. We see you’re an intern and bet you have some fresh suggestions on what we could do to add some more fun in the day. And thanks for noticing our emphasis on work-life balance at Ameritas. We second your advice that any person feeling overwhelmed should let management know. Our managers are expected to jump in and help find ways to relieve that feeling.

Grind
Home Office Dental & Vision Insurance (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 2, 2018
Most people were overworked and unappreciated. Those who advance aren't necessarily competent; They are drinking buddies with management. Gossip prevails, company uses people. The company is cash rich, but skimps with employees. Computer systems and software were outdated. Many former employees ended up with depression from the dysfunctional leadership. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Paychecks cleared
Cons
Dysfunctional company
September 17, 2018

We’re sorry to read this. We try to recommend work-life balance to everyone who joins us. In our view, no business can achieve real or lasting success without satisfied employees. So we continue to invest in our people and discover new ways to make this a satisfying place to work. That includes training to help all of us and especially leaders communicate with each other effectively. Thank you for taking time to communicate your perceptions. We wish you much contentment in the future.

Great company with midwestern values.
Group Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Americas is a great company. The Chicago office struggled due to many different factors. The compensation program was not able to support the activity I was able to generate.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for the compliment. We aspire to be a great company and it means a lot that our associates feel that way. It sounds like you were a great producer who deserves competitive compensation. We know we must stay competitive when it comes to compensation, so we continue to re-evaluate, do market research and adjust accordingly. Ameritas just completed some updates this year.

Small Town atmosphere but a little behind the times
Group Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 3, 2018
Small Town atmosphere but a little behind the times. The pay rates for someone in my position are generally overlooked by the company as a whole. The atmosphere keeps me active which I appreciate and my skills allow for me to stay busy throughout the day.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your review of Ameritas. We have our employees to thank for helping create a positive, friendly atmosphere where people want to work. Our recent investments in technology and product development are paying off with marketplace wins. We will keep evaluating our compensation program at all levels to ensure all employees are compensated equitably. We’re determined to keep our valuable employees happy and appreciate your input.

Learned a lot
Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2018
felt management was unorganized and did not communicate well. felt the company was misleading by promising me a full time position, but after the busy season was over they let me go with out any explanation. there was also inadequate training. The expected protection but did not provide you with the tools to be successful.
Pros
a great leaning experience
Cons
poor management
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your review. We never want an employee, temporary or permanent, to feel wronged in any way. We actively work to use both strong training programs and technology to help all employees communicate effectively. We hold our management to a high standard and expect all communication to be open and honest. We will never stop looking for ways to get better.

Treated as expendable
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 18, 2018
40+ hours a week, mandatory overtime, converting 15 year old scripts to a new system.
Tiring and unfulfilling and thankless.
It was a temp position, so I had little reason to care about the final product. Once they were done extracting value from me, they kicked me out the door.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions. We are sorry to hear about the experience you’ve described. Working in our industry can be both demanding and rewarding, and keeping our temporary and permanent employees happy is critically important to us. We will keep working to make sure our people know they are valued and appreciated.

Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78230July 14, 2018
This is a good place to work if you are just starting out in your career or if you want to stay with a company for a long time. The offer full benefits and 401K. However, the home office is in Lincoln NE which is where the majority of career opportunities are.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of career advancement if working in a field office
It's like being in high school again but you get a paycheck.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 20, 2018
Just like any other job it starts out nice but quickly becomes more depressing the longer you stay with the company.

Management does not care about their employees. If they like you, you can pretty much do whatever you'd like because you'll not be reprimanded in any way. However, if you're not a favorite than you might as well turn around now and look for another place.

Get used to being in meetings if you aren't already. This company has entirely too many meetings about absolutely nothing and will follow that meeting up with additional meetings to review previous meetings (sound confusing? That's how everyone feels when we have to sit in those cold rooms and listen to rambling).

Cafeteria is nice to have but it's extremely overpriced for what you get and most of the food has no flavor to it.

Pretty flexible with situations that come up and nice benefits but it's really not worth staying for.
Pros
Free parking, decent coworkers, flexible
Cons
Terrible management, overpriced food, poor work life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameritas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight