Amsted Industries Employee Reviews

Wont be here much longer
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 12, 2019
This place is a horrible place to work at. The culture here is the worst that I have ever seen. There are no advancement for minorities at all ( I'm caucasian ). You can go far in the
maintenance department if you are part of the Good Ole Boys Network ( GOBN for short ). In the short time that I have been here I have seen willing and capable people get overlooked for positions just because of the color of their skin or they are not liked by the leader of the GOBN. I was not raised that way and I cant adapt to these ways. The hatred in this place is sickening to me. HR and mangement are enablers of this type of behavior. When real situations get brought to the forefront they are never addressed as needed. You will most likely get lied to about your concern. I have not been here that long and I have seen more maintenance personell trying to leave than I have ever seen anywhere else. When I first got here I was told to pay attention and I will pick up on things. That was the truest statement that anyone has said to me since I started working here. This is not the place for me and hopefully I will be out of here soon.
Pros
Yearly bonuses
Cons
Too much hatred
Amsted Seals & Forming - Horrible Engineering Management
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VANovember 5, 2018
Absolutely terrible engineering direction.

Priority disaster!!!!!!!!!!

After 6 years of contributing to the success of the company with multiple praises as a contributor, I got thrown to the streets with production as my #1 priority.

Arrival of new engineering management prevented the ability to maintain machines. Ignorance, by THAT management, of existing machine functionality and needs, hindered production. Machine production was compromised by focus on self progression (by new management) with projects that did not benefit current assets.

This organization is pathetic in the recognition of its devoted employees, the ones who are the sole contributor to the success of the company. Inadequate representation by management will be this company's downfall.
Set standards are not same for all, weak management at best, union is one man bully
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Keokuk, IAOctober 6, 2018
"mandatory meetings" joke, no set standards apply to everyone, weak management at best, union is basically a one man bully who doesn't fight for workers, plays well with management though. My family worked here since it opened, no turnover, great reviews, good product, management and workers had somewhat "integrity" . I worked there 3yrs. In time I worked, Product , integrity became a joke. Pretty sad what greed will do
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Everything else
10 years wasted
Management (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 20, 2018
The company is a joke. They have this VOP program they brought into play quite a few years ago now and it was because the bosses treated so many people like trash. It stands for Value of the Person. Well after just shy of 10 years working there, the last several which were on the company side were 6 days a week any where from 8-13 hours a day, never missing work, always doing what was needed so on so forth; i was let go along with several other management workers. They kept a guy with not even 2 years who only made about 3400 less per year. They show NO value to anyone when it comes to a few dollars. One boss was going to make me go to Chicago area for an issue that took place while i was on vacation, because the other guy sent the wrong stuff the boss acted like i did it and was well aware that i WAS NOT EVEN THERE. I had 2 large jobs completed and ready to go before i was off and they let the stuff go to the wrong places. Cant help that others do a bad job, but they take it out on you. That boss has been demoted, should be fired, hes a real benefit to the company, let me tell ya! VOP my butt! more like Value of the PRODUCT. Lost everything and had to start over because of others mistakes and poor management.
Pros
None now
Cons
everyday is a struggle when reminded of them
Poor management, disorganized orginazation
Set up Operatir (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, InAugust 23, 2018
If you are looking for a job that provides an adequate work/life balance this is NOT the place for you.

Poor management, very disorganized. No direction on how to improve jobs done in building.

Management plays favorites.
Union job but it might as well be non-union
Pros
All the OT you can ask for(if you want it)
Cons
Management, Union, no work/life balance.
Be prepared to get let go on day 89!!!!
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 20, 2018
This was a great paying job with benefits after 90 days. Pretty easy jobs to do. Your rotated around to learn all machines. I was doing as well as workers that had been there for years. Never late, always kept myself professional. At day 89 I was let go and told there is no reason for this, it is an at will state so that's it. They had me preparing to get health benefits and was going to be paying union dues. Now, I'm confused and unemployed. I would say, management is the problem. I believe I was hired in for the reason of work with no benefits for 89 days then they will replace me and do the same to someone else. It is a Union jobs way of a loop hole. Be prepared to get let go at 89 days.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good benefits, Not so good work enviroment,
Assebler (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 15, 2018
I felt like it was more of a high school environment with a whole bunch of adult children who pretty much just talk about each other and everyone else. Not very professional and good luck if you were not referred by anyone........
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else!!!!
Professional
IP Prosecution Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2018
Professional. It is fast-paced and busy. Employees are allowed to work on their own. It's challenging and always learning something new. Great place to work!
Do not work here too many lay offs
Chainer (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 28, 2018
This company pays well but will work you out of a job basically! No family time when in full production! Management looks to cut throats and will get rid of you for any given reason no matter if you show up on time do your job etc!
Pros
Pay benefits co worker
Cons
Lay offs management hours
I have experience in carpentry and I believe that I will do a great job
First Chainer (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 11, 2018
I arrive at work and the foreman tells us what we are going to do that day. The hardest part of the job was working around the hot molten steel. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we got to see the finish product that we worked on for a long time.
Pros
Multiple Breaks
Cons
Working around Molten Steel
Number driven culture, zero regard for employee safety
Multicraft Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 21, 2017
Incompetent upper management structure drove a large a large divide between departments, which caused a lot of inter-departmental discourse. Plant manager will sacrifice the jobs of those with a much longer company tenure than himself if it means meeting his bonus structure. 40% work force reduction within 2 year timeframe. Stated OHSA and EPA violations are disregarded by HSE manager. Pay is top tier, but isn't worth the stress.
Pros
Department manager, pay rate
Cons
Cut throat upper management, stressful environment, number driven culture supersedes safety and well being of hourly employees
Nice place to work-good co-workers-benefits and pay are average to above average
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 4, 2017
Great place to work if you like to work smart and hard-always opportunity for making extra money with OT hours
Hourly and Salary teams are great to work with
Pros
Pay rate-atmosphere with co-workers-benefits
Cons
Vacation days until you get 3 years of service are pretty weak -long hours
Good pay and benefits, horrible culture and management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDOctober 23, 2017
The pay and benefits were very competitive for the metro area. However, the work environment is horrible. Tout number of long term employees, 20+ years, with company. Getting to know them, many are just are doing whatever it takes to keep job and reach ESOP early retirement requirements. Vesting is 5 years and not a lot of people with more than 5 and less than 10 years. Very cut throat and bloated middle management in which discrediting others seems to be the norm. More managers with only 1 or 2 direct reports than any other company I have worked at. Top leadership is totally disconnected and everything comes down to cost. Don't show a profit 2 years in a row and Amsted replaces company leadership. So, anything associated with cutting cost or improving margin on paper is priority. Makes sense because company is for profit, however profit as a priority over fixing quality issues? Most departments in company that have to deal with customers and rep sales force have internal policy to not answer phone. .

Management openly plays favorites and speaking anything but praises for those folks will result in retaliation. Manufacturing is not on-site and contempt for factory hourly isn't even hidden. There is no formal training program for any job in the company, fortunately most co-workers are willing to help, although ones that have most knowledge DO NOT want to share it. Company had steadily been losing market share due to poor quality and high price. Pushes number of new products, most are either copied from competitors without improving performance or being lower
  more... cost, bought from someone else, or old products that had more options added.

Majority of co-workers are nice people, although many are not nice to work with. Great on-site cafe, and location would be perfect if within walking distance to light rail. Saving grace is company bonus and ESOP programs in addition to 401k. Good place if you have less than 5 years experience and need bigger/global company resume filler. If you have it,move along-nothing here to see.
Pros
Pay, benefits, on-site cafe
Cons
Culture, management, lack of formal training, turnover
not a good place to work
former employee (Former Employee) –  Beaver Dam WI.April 29, 2017
Burgess-Norton in Beaver Dam WI.
Management if very two faced they say they care but don't.
Management is very disorganized and lazy.
I worked there for over 20 years and one day was told my job was eliminated. but really they have some one else doing it that has only been there one year. wish i hadn't gave up my life of going to work every day for this. and to be treated the way i was.
but that is what you get for helping build a company for that many years.
Cons
bad management team
Good Pay
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 16, 2017
Value of the Person
Everyone in the Company has Value from CEO to Janitor.
You are treated the well.
Respect for all Employees.
Hard Working Coworkers.
Pros
Fun and Games, Pot Luck Lunches, Barbeque
Cons
You still have to show up every day and work hard
Reasonable Expectations
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 1, 2017
Maintenance salary is extremely low in comparison to neighboring companies in the same or similar industry. Salary is beneficial to new hires with little to no technical maintenance experience who typically come from industrial construction backgrounds are prime candidates. Usually, good to gain experience here and then to move onto Industrial facilities that pay 30%-40% more in wages.

**Mechanics are hired at an hourly of $1 less than electricians.

Aside of employees who have been here for approx 20 years, the recent turn over rate has been high for maintenance who have been here under 5 years primarily due to low salary.

-One of many looking
Pros
Quarterly celebrations
Cons
Low Salary
Will lay you off at any time.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJanuary 20, 2017
Railroad industry is very unstable. Will have a couple of years where they hire hundreds of people and can't make castings fast enough and then a couple of down years where most people get laid off because there are no orders.

Management preaches value of the person, but they are very two faced and don't value anything but money. The union workers get a few weeks notice when they will be laid off, but salaried workers don't. The day they decide to lay a salaried worker off is the day they find out they're getting laid off, so hope you can find a new job quickly and don't have a lot of bills to pay. Hard to start a family or buy a house when working here because you are constantly worried about being let go.

If you have a degree and would have to relocate to work here, I would advise against it. Look elsewhere because these guys don't appreciate their talent.
Most disorganized place ever worked
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  IndyOctober 25, 2016
Disorganized business, very clear they do not care to change it.

New hires often get jerks who are trainers. I seen one new hire get verbally yelled at by some trainer in a demeaning way, no excuse for that. You don't put someone with an angry personality in charge of training new people...but they did.

Also female employees get hit on, on a routine basis...seems this company doesn't have a co-worker conduct policy to address that issue...or if they do, they don't care to enforce it.
Cons
Not so nice co-workers, useless union, females get harassed on the job
Union
Production Supervisor / Development supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 23, 2016
Great experience to get expose to the union. The union is extremely strong, so knowing the process of and understanding the union guidelines are the keys to success.
Hard work, plenty of overtime
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
I worked in plant 5 as press operator, it took me 3 months to get use to running the machine, a lot of work with little pay. I worked 12 hour shifts with two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minutes. 24 hour operation, will not close for inclement weather even in a state of emergency.
Benefits
Cons
Lay off without warning