Amtrak Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and competitive career
Trackman (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 11, 2018
Daily meetings prior to shift to inform employees of job duties. Management provided appropriate insight needed to practice safety guidelines allowing employees to be well informed and functional. They provided proper training to excel and grow within the company.
An ever changing environment
Senior Director Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 10, 2018
Amtrak is a company that continues to change to meet the demands established by the Federal Government's FAST Act (Fixing America's Surface Transportation) legislation that was signed into law in December of 2015 and PRIIA (Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act) that was enacted in 2008. The focus of the legislation is establishing financial goals and creating safety standards.

There is a delicate balance between what the Federal Government demands, Amtrak's operational goals, the employee experience and what Amtrak customers expect. It is almost impossible to make and keep all of the stake holders happy.

As CEO, Richard Anderson has taken a much more progressive approach. His experience and success with other transportation companies is helping to shape Amtrak as a more modern, reliable, and customer friendly organization.

The changes have been practical from a business perspective, but not always comfortable for the stake holders.
Pros
Great benefits, travel pass for family
Cons
Change is not easy and can make some people uncomfortable.
Fun place
Service Desk Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2018
At Amtrak, I start of with checking email, I learnt a lot working at Amtrak, management are easy to work with, workplace culture is good, no hard part.
Morally defunct; Poorly run
Passenger Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 8, 2018
I have worked for Amtrak for almost 18 years as a train Conductor. The worst part of my job is not dealing with irate passengers but rather than morally defunct management. This company is a toxic work environment and frankly I'd rather take a huge pay cut and quit before retirement because it's too stressful. We get paid very well but not enough to justify mental and emotional well being. Amtrak crushes your soul.
Pros
benefits and pay...that's it
Cons
Hitting people with trains, managers threatening to fire you, unreliable equipment, irate passengers, management not backing you up
Passionate people
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2018
Amtrak is a family in many regards. with the Crazy Uncle, and the cousin everybody worries aobut; lots of great people which makes for an entertaining Family Dinner over the holidays. Great history reaching back decades, with a real Americana vibe. General feel is that they could make a profit if they were allowed to run like a business without government intervention. Difficult to get excited about the mantra, "Loose as little money as you can!"
Pros
Passionate people that love the Railroad
Cons
Congressional oversight mandates weird business decisions
Stressful
Train Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 2, 2018
Very stressful with lots of hours no help from anyone. This company is a joke and they turn you into a train slave. They are management heavy and they all need training.
Pros
pay
Cons
stressful and no help
fun, stressful but not happy about how they let you go with no warning
Baggage Handler...on call ftime (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 30, 2018
easy going place alot of people been there forevr so not alot of advacement .....hardest part of the job was climbing into the trains because i am not fit anymore. The winter weather issues was stressful to deal with. On call full time was a pain . you had to wait every am to be called to see your hours that you are working.
Secure and Steady
Statistical Clerk (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJuly 26, 2018
My job at Amtrak is a secure, steady position that provides good benefits and pay. I do believe anyone who seeks to work at Amtrak needs to be a self learner because the management culture is not really geared towards training.
I was a contract employee and received no benefits
East Coast Case Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2018
I conducted interviews of Amtrak employees who complained of harassment and discrimination; I would with the DRO investigator to investigate the complaints.
Completely mismanaged company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 23, 2018
The company was managed poorly. There was not good communication between managers and employees. Any sort of service disruption completely dismantled the entire operation.
good job had good things high stress volume would recommed
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAJuly 20, 2018
learned a lot would tell a friend hope to have family work there would not .time be ready to work fast passes . must be able to work with the public customer service a must.
Thousands and Thousands of people loosing their jobs
On Board Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
Thousands and Thousands loosing their jobs, while union is in bed with management. Used to love coming to work now I hate it with a passion.

Good ol’ boys and gals make it through the ranks if your born to certain families or kiss the right buts or noses.

It is an unfair company looks unfair tactics and practices and only serves its mean spirited own agendas.

They probably read the negative posts and laugh while we fight to feed our families and now travel a a thousand miles to begin our job.
Pros
My family at home
Cons
Past 20 years
Senior Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2018
This company requires you to get up and meet people. You can go a long way in your career, if you just say hello.

They allow you to use your skills to your full potential. Wonderful company.
Excellent hours and good work enviroment
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2018
Enjoyed talking to all types of customers. I like helping them with all their travel plans. Always a challenge to match up the trains with their indiviudal schedules,
Can some NY managers actually sleep at night
On Board (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
I wonder, can some New York supervisors and managers actually sleep at night knowing how they treat some employees. I wish the new president would actually ask the working employees their thoughts on management. The same backwards management is the reason were in this crazy mess were in today. Get rid of them start a new! New management brings new fresh ideas.
Pros
My left shoe
Cons
Much
Often beaten down &, belittled in front of coworkers
On Board (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
They Love to Create an Unstable Environment and Life for some of its employees, while others are treated like gold.

Sneaky, unqualified (some) Managers/Supervisors & tactics often playing favorites with some while treating others horribly.

Often belittled / humiliated in front of coworkers, then walking away as we are left to face our customers with the way they made us feel and expecting us to service our customers with a smile as were about to cry (Literally).

Through all of this, I love my job and I still try to deliver quality service to the customers that we see on a daily basis. Sadly, they (some) do it all over again the next day. Wonder if they realize how they make us feel.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Coworkers
Cons
Belittled / Humiliated Daily
Loyal Employees/ Disloyal Leadership/ Continuous Layoffs
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2018
Extremely volatile company with a higher than normal turnover rate. Leadership and numerous reorganizations have been a constant over the past 10 years. Relatively balanced work/home life.
Pros
Great work/family balance
Cons
High Turnover, don't invest in employees, below market standards pay
On-board travel is good.
On Board Chef (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2018
Amtrak is is very good company to work for. Very good benefits and not stressful. The travel is good, can sometimes get very busy and then it slows down. The job pays well and depending on the position you have you have a lot of time off.
Pros
Free Travel for you and your immediate family.
Cons
Sometimes the trips are very long or delayed.
Balance
Senior Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
Well balanced work life with decent salary. Only con is there is limited amount of opportunity for advancement

........................................
Not worker Friendly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 9, 2018
Sometimes busy, management does not provide efficient communications with workers, on conditions and work security. Undermanned. District manager does not communication at all to workers in our area.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

64out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Amtrak.

Powered by Comparably