Amtrak Employee Reviews

Fun job
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Police patrol and interdiction duties -

Drug interdiction and interviews of possible drug couriers -

Fast paced L/E activity and arrests of drug offenders -
Pros
drugs off street
Cons
pay-
Did a lot of traveling
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJanuary 16, 2019
I really liked my job there I had to leave for family emergency. I like my hours, the people I worked with
The management and everything about the job. I would encourage anyone to apply there
Pros
Travel, Benefits
Prison Probably Treats You Better!
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2019
A manager once told us: "If you weren't working here you would be in prison". Sadly, that's the Amtrak manager mentality that carried from one manager to the next in some cases. Some managers feel the need to play God with peoples lives. If they don't like you for the tiniest reason, they go totally out of their way in trying to terminate you, even right out lie just to get rid of you. It's sad, hopefully, down the road, they'll actually hire managers that are true professionals that are trained to run things right.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Material Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2019
Productive and proficient career. I spent 29 years with this company. My personal circumstances have changed so I am looking for gainful employment at another growing company
Pros
Free lunches
Toxic Unstable Unhealthy Environment to be a Part of
Attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2019
When I came here a few years ago I really thought it would be a great place to work. Sadly the only thing that keeps me here is the paycheck bi-weekly. Any customer -few- that for whatever reason who doesn't like you-you are often reprimanded for the slightest infraction. Good managers and bad, good are great but the bad ones love ruining your day and even your trip. Wish managers were more understanding of the needs of the employees. Leaving soon, really don't care. if you do work here, keep a low profile and go home at the end of your day. Reading the other reviews, the downside is management, shouldn't that tell them something.
Pros
Free Water
Cons
Many
Fast paced and travel oriented.
On Board Services (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Good business to get into. Face paced and very demanding at times, but once you get the hang of it the job becomes easier to manage. Get to visit plenty of beautiful cities as well as meet a lot of interesting individuals.
Very political environment
HRIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2019
The hardest part of the job is position and salary advancement. It is very hard to move up the corporate ladder once you are an employee. Currently, it is more beneficial to be an external hire.
Excellent talent and team work ethic
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 9, 2019
Upper management was very supportive of our QA department and provided for all our needs to meet the strategic needs and interests of the company. Working with third party vendors and procurement departments was an educational experience.
Pros
Proactive environment
Cons
Massive lay offs 3000 employees
Working for government
Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2019
As is usually expected, working for a government agency, there is a lot of red tape and politics to contend with before a project could be approved. The atmosphere was that a lot of employees were just biding their time before they could retire. There was not a lot of incentive for employees to do more than what was in their job description.
Fun and reliable place to work at
Senior Electrical Engineer (PTC) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Great place to work at. Teaches you lots about an essential industry that most people don't know about, but it affects their daily lives.

Helps develop employees for career advancement
Pros
Free train travel!
A Company That DESPERATELY Needs a Change
On Board (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2019
When I was in school I was told a company is judged by its weakest link. Sadly I think management is its weakest link. I work with a bunch of great man and woman coworkers who go through all sorts of workplace bullying from managers. Problem is they just don't realize that they are doing it. Then they bring someone else into their inner circle and keep the same cycle going.

Hopefully, someone higher up there sees this and can make some drastic changes.
Pros
Great coworkers and pay
Cons
Read above
fast paced and stressful at times ,but rewarding
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 4, 2019
Answered calls all day long, with the purpose of converting them into reservations. I learned to make reservations on their special system call rail res . Management was for the most part helpful and would work with you. The hardest part of the job was the stress of heavy call volume and angry passengers. But it made it worthwhile to turn a passenger attitude around make their day and experience better.
Pros
free train trips
Cons
strict attentance policy
Important Work
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJanuary 1, 2019
The people are great, the job challenging. The then CEO did not support many of the initiatives the Inspector General was trying to move the railroad.
One of the worst companies to work for
LSA (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2018
Has to be, by far, one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Sure, decent pay and benefits and travel and great friends. Management plays God sometimes with employees lives and some of them should be evaluated, rated, judged and even replaced if need be. Many are good people but then a few of them, that make the decisions shouldn't be there at all and should be replaced. Some crew bases are well organized and professionally run (Chicago, Washington DC). Others need to follow their example.

What's also sad is the fact that Amtrak prohibits us (basically threatens us) from taking our thoughts and concerns to social media about life at Amtrak. What are they afraid of?
Pros
Decent pay, Benefits
Cons
Poor Moral
A Sad, So Very, Very sad Company (Cut Throat, Rats and Happy Fire Managers)
On Board Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2018
A Sad, So Very, Very sad Company. (Cut Throat, Rats and Happy Fire Managers). Everyone out for themselves. The inside employees favored by management can do anything because they are liked. If you are not liked you are constantly under the radar. Brought on on charges for anything you do and they totally blow it out of proportion. This is for NYC. Think the Superintendents down to the supervisors should all be looked at under the scope and not be allowed to simply play God

If you have other options as far as employment opportunities, go there. mentally save yourself.
Pros
Friends
Cons
Fire Happy Managers
Okay
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 27, 2018
Closed down call center and many lost jobs

Union Contract prevents many advancement opportunities
Not much to say. Many upset ees that are losing their jobs to those with more seniority.
hated wearing head set
Call Center Reservation Sales Agent. (Former Employee) –  fort washington paDecember 27, 2018
wearing a head set and back to back calls is an awful way to make a living. very nice location surrounded by parks and great restaurants.. I would recommend the company as a whole very nice supervisors that care about their workers
Pros
nice location
Cons
wearing a head set and talking to people a=that were irate very difficult
Reservation Sales Agent
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 20, 2018
Very grateful to have worked for Amtrak, during a time when good jobs in our town was scarce. Enjoyed the interaction with the customers and employee comradery was great, not to mention excellent managerial staffing.
Pros
Discounts for travel
Cons
Didn't prepare for the bidding for scheduling mandate
ugh
Assistant Passenger Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYDecember 18, 2018
just ugh is all there is to say. poor culture cut throat and little opportunity for advancement. poor training. a waste of governments money. god bless this place.
Productive with lots of opportunities to advance
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 15, 2018
A typical workday will be fast paced with new procedures added frequently. You will learn how to resolve and answer concerns to many different scenarios and requests while enjoying a fulfilling customer service position. Management is there to assist and give positive feedback and training. The hardest part of the job is the computer logs if a agents is unskilled in the process. The most enjoyable part is offering exceptional customer service
Pros
Wages
Cons
Senority

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Amtrak.

Powered by Comparably