Amtrak Employee Reviews

Enjoyed running an engine, but company was stressful and ill informed
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spokane Wash.to Milwaukee WiscJune 15, 2019
Arrived at work to view rules of the day along with all train movements both freight and passenger over the 535 mile route. This changed daily and always involved different area's of the route.
My particular manager was excellent. You learned something new everyday because weather, train consist and rail conditions were always different. I worked with people that I enjoyed being around. the most enjoyable part of the job was arriving at our destination on time and safely.
Would I do it again, probably- it is not really a job for a married person, but does grant a good living for a family even tho you are not home alot.
Pros
securtity
Cons
days away from family and burdensome rules
need to be ran better
Track Man (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 7, 2019
needs to be ran better other than that it would have been a decent job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! didn't have prepare training need to have better training!!!
Very face paced, exciting, productive and rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2019
I'm dedicated to my customer's needs. The customer is the reason I existed at Amtrak for 3i wonderful years. I got instant gratification when customer's are satisfied with my professional, courteous service with a smile , which is the representation of Amtrak, I would like for all customers to remember.
Pros
Free rail travel
Cons
30min lunch, no breaks
Challenging an exciting company to work for.
Rail Vacation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLJune 3, 2019
Assist and book travel in and outside the United States also Canada. Learn about many attractions and scenery across country with hotel, rental cars and many other involvements that consist of a vacation bundle. High demand of calls with daily challenges that lead to many different interactions with all customers. Great atmosphere with awesome management.
Pros
Friendly customers with many interesting cultures and history of landmarks.
Cons
Extensive call time in planning out vacation
Amtrak Awesome
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 2, 2019
Loved Amrak worked there 11 years ; unfortunately had to give up job because they closed the RSA office permanently in Riverside, CA Highly recommend working there. Very good pay and benefits too.
Pros
pay and flexible hours
Cons
high stress
Happy Not Happy
Sr. Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 28, 2019
Worked for this company for over 5 years and felt that it was a very fast pace environment, but in the early years very nice place to work. Once upper management was changed the salaried employees were not a priority. We experience two org. changes.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Management team top heavy
Morale and energy
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2019
The new management brought the morale and energy down in the company and it’s not a healthy environment anymore. I will be exploring more options in result
Pros
Hours
Typical day
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2019
wearing a head set and back to back calls is an awful way to make a living. very nice location surrounded by parks and great restaurants.. I would recommend the company as a whole very nice supervisors that care about their workers
Pros
pay
Cons
boring environment
My review
Floor Installer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2019
Nothing good to say........ I Think Most Sites They Are Truly Racist. They Don't Treat u Like Humans. I Would never Ride, recommend them to anyone never. So there's some things they need to Improve before I'd ever consider being a customer let alone work for them
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Supervisors think its slavery still
Its a very sad place for some people.
Train and assist staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2019
Most of us want to make some kind of a difference, in the work place, our customers, our home and families. Thats easy if they like you and if they don't, you are there for management target practice. I have seen good workers careers destroyed simply because one manager did not like them.

You could be written up for anything and I mean anything. They will make everyone think you are a bad employee and when an opportunity comes, go after you.

Its just so very sad for some people. I pray for a day upper management see what lower management does on a daily basis
Pros
Work family and friends
Cons
Lower management tactics
Great company to work for
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2019
It is a great company to work if you don't mind on the train 6 days at a time, with 48 hours rest and go on another 4-6 day trips.
It is hard industry to work if you are married with children or no children. You will not be able to plan for anything in your life for at least first 3 years of seniority.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Can't plan your life at least for the first 3 years
Great Career and Great place to work
Carman/Welder (Current Employee) –  Beech Grove, INMay 18, 2019
I really enjoy working for Amtrak overall. 40 hours work weeks, and great pay, and benefits. Most of the people at Amtrak are great but there is some wannabe macho/know it all guys but I ignore them for the most part. Some supervisor makes the job more difficult than need be but most don't.
Pros
Pay, benefits, and work environment.
Cons
bad supervisors and some poor attitudes
Regulated
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2019
Very regulated environment. It's not government, but acts like government. Very disconnected company - each division used to run like it's own company, but now it's all under 1 umbrella and is culturally slow to catch up.
Nice office and flexible hours
Customer Service/ Reservation Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 10, 2019
It was my dream job, unfortunately the Call Center was closed. I enjoyed tthe contact I had with passengers, station agents and my supervisors. Really got to know our country, in regards to different states and cities. Made friendships that will last a lifetime.
Clean and saafety Workplace
Coach cleaner/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2019
a typical day a work busy
job need to be done in time
management care about safety
Diverse Community at work
Need to be clean all the time
Finished my duties in time
fine
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 12, 2019
vacation time, benefits, paid time off, dental benefits
scheduled break and lunch times. positive enviroment.
training development. flexablity offered,
Horrible Management
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Bear, DEApril 4, 2019
This job is absolutely great for the benefits and retirement, that is if you can deal with horrible management and unfair treatment for 30 years of your life. Amtrak is like a black hole that sucks you in with hopes and dreams of a solid career with a price of hating everyday your in the building! Rules and guidelines are written in pencil and change daliy depending on who you are. The workload is completely mind numbing and repetitive, yet some employees with more seniority can’t do the jobs regardless of having 10+ years of service. That is because practically the only way to get hired is having your PeePaw or Daddy working there. We have electricians on the roster who can’t wire a light switch on the outside. The work is dirty and absolutely disgusting with dirt caked 1/2” thick at times on bottom side of cars despite being “washed” once entering the building. The workforce is terrible! Your own union brother will be the first to rat you out just to save their own butt. Literally every year I have worked for Amtrak, management has threatened layoffs due to “shop performance” and “heavy workforce” at least once each year. A sad scare tactic to make employees feel unsecure in their jobs. If your a golden child and friend of management there is room for advancement. However if you do something wrong in their eyes you will be targeted for the rest of your career! In conclusion the only good thing I can say about working at Amtrak is Benefits are great (not dental though) and workload is laid back if your not a complete moron!
Pros
Benefits, Easy Work
Great job
Driver/ heavy equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTApril 2, 2019
I wish I would have found this job 20 years ago great job to grow into lots of opportunities to advance and strict on safety...
The work place can be dangerous in nature but if safety rules are followed it leaves little room for error.
Pros
Work environment is safe
Cons
Work can kill you trains take a long time to stop
Good job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2019
Wonderful work as an officer. Great place to work. I love the passengers and works. I enjoyed police work and helping others. Learned people skills. Would work here again had an outstanding. experience.
Pros
Good costumer service .
Cons
No breaks
Things have changed over the years when I was there
Non-Agreement Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2019
I worked for Amtrak for a little over 4 years. When I first joined, I was excited and was really looking forward to becoming a part of a company that provides cross-country rail service. I believed in their mission in providing safe rail passage for its customers. In the beginning of my tenure, I really liked my manager because she was knowledgeable, straight forward and just really wants you to succeed. She left and went to another department and, by default, a more "senior" (in tenure) employee eventually became an acting manager and it was all down hill from there. She did not have the ability or the skill to be a good leader, let alone a manager. After a couple of years, I decided to move to another department,and little did I know that it was going to be one of the worst employment experiences I've ever had. Yet again, I became subjected to a manager who was "chosen" by upper management who had no skill, experience and ability to lead. On top of that, she did not have the emotional intelligence to handle tough situations. It made her team feel like we were on pins and needles because of her inconsistency and attitude. It became so terrible that she would just fire people because she thought they didn't learn fast enough to her liking and she did not provide adequate training for them to succeed. But this has become not a surprise for me because the upper management has become oblivious or maybe just plain didn't care what was going on. They relied on the front line managers to tell them what's going on. That has been pretty much what the culture was while I  more... was working there - whether being an agreement or non-agreement employee. The change over the years with the new CEO has greatly affected the morale of the company. I was not particularly fond of the new one because of the way he decided to run the company. Although it is a business, it is a railroad company first - which means putting your customers and employees first.  less
Pros
decent benefits, free or discounted rail travel
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Amtrak.

Powered by Comparably