Amtrak Employee Reviews

What's it like at Work
Engineer Circuit Design C&S (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
A typical day at the railroad starts off rather early than most jobs. I usually begin the day with a Safety Meetings that begins at 7am. Whether it's continuing my projects from previous day or starting a new one, the day simple goes by rather quickly once I'm focus and aiming to complete my projects efficiently and promptly before their respective deadlines. Like most people, multitasking is a must, I'm always pausing one problem to flush out another problem that suddenly became high of importance. Some exciting times are when I'm in the field pertaining to a specific projects troubleshooting or simply acquiring more information to assist in completing the project.
Productive fun environment fast paced long hour shifts
OBS/Train Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2018
Amtrak is a diverse company to work for with long hour shifts our focus is to deliver excellent customer service I have learned that there is always room for improvement in any job position. Difficult part of job is being away from family and friends and inconsistent job schedules. Most enjoyable is working with a crew who has the same quality goals also meeting different people from all aspects of the world and always a different experience everyday.
Pros
free meals free hotels
Cons
no sick days no match on 401k
A typical day at work
Sr.Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 13, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Amtrak. It was the most relaxed environment i have worked in and i would have stayed if commuting to DC was not a challenge .
Not your average job.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2018
No two days are ever the same. Working for the railroad as many cultures you must learn it. Its different and exciting but extremely stressful on both you and your family. The maximum hours a person can work is 12 hours per day with at least one day off as per the FRA . There is a period where you must work on call and be available after every 8-10 from the finish of your last shift. You must be a even tempered and mature minded individual to work at this company.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
On call
In transition
Systems/Solution Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 7, 2018
An established company with a lot going for it. Recent changes in upper management has led to a good amount of anxiety and frequent reorganization with unclear lines of responsibility and future career paths. Mixed signals from upper management but day to day colleagues were good, hard working, and caring people
Pros
free discount train travel, good caring workers
Cons
can grind at times, sr. management turnover
Best pension and retirement, decent pay.. be single with no kids
Track Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 7, 2018
lack of management, service hours very and you dont have a choice but to show up or get wrote up, travel in your own vehicle across the state with no per diem, The job pays pretty decent.. benefits are even better. its a job for single man or woman with no family or kids and isnt afraid to work at any hour of the day.
Pros
benefits, retirement, pay
Cons
management, service hours, some employees
Meeting new people
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 6, 2018
Great traveling benefits
Wonderful meeting people from all walks of life
Enjoy working alongside co workers
Always something new to learn from my job
Pros
Traveling, meeting new people, always learning
Cons
Always away from home
Great for work/life balance
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2018
This has been a great company to work for. I've been with them for almost 3 years and don't have many negatives to say. Pay is great. If I have a question/issue, management has gotten back with me almost immediately. Unfortunately there's no advancement for me in my position mainly because I don't live in the state where the home office is.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
No advancement unless you are near the home office.
Good job not a career
Pipefitter/Sheet Metal Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2018
This is the type of environment where it's all about who you know and not who you are as a employee
Hard work, great attendance and a great amount of overtime does not get appreciated. It's a job where you can be the best worker and very knowledgeable and it gets unseen.
Pros
Okay salary, good benefits
Cons
Worst salary on railroad and bad management
Has been a joy to work for so far
Document Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19103February 27, 2018
My parent contracting company LS Gallegos is one of the best i've ever worked for but are looked in Colorado so if they don't get any more work in the Philadelphia area and something happens with my current assignment with Amtrak, i'm left without anything.
Hard job to get
Guaranteed Extra Board (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 26, 2018
I worked for Amtrak, as an Extra Board employee, on an as needed basis. Duties included; ticketing, announcing train arrival and departures, checking and loading passenger luggage, assisting passengers with impairments.
Fun place to work
Sr Infrastructure Architect (Manager) - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 23, 2018
This is an organization that needs some serious process improvement along with the need to streamline the bureaucracy in an effort to better satisfy the customer. I actually had a very good time with the people I worked with however there is a serious disconnect between those in governance, down line communication and coordination in the work place. I honestly hope that there are wholesale changes for this to happen because Amtrak has a high ceiling for potential.

My advice is to start talking to each other in an effort to share learnings and modify the culture in a way that people throw information over a wall less and start working together to support each other. I wish Amtrak nothing but good fortune and luck in the future.

A little less of being the talking heads and a lot more more continuous practical improvement is needed.
Pros
Extremely bright worker bees, Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule
Cons
Management, strategy and process planning
Take Charge of your own Career!
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2018
The job has good benefits. Advancement potential is mediocore. It's important to take charge of your career. Routine re-orgs and tightness of funding makes it a challenging environment but there are a lot of good people and you can learn a lot.
Productive busy work place
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 22, 2018
Amtrak is a good place to work but often times can be extremely stressful and tiring. I like working here a lot But things have changed a lot as well over the years and i would like to find another place to work.
Great company to work for.
Quality Assurance Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Growth potential is fantastic. Employees are dedicated and motivated to serve the public. The mechanical department and transportation department work well to achieve on time train performance and a satisfying rider experiance.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
None.
Unfriendly
Master Machinist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 19, 2018
No consideration for the workers Home life. Very little time off. A terrible unproductive way of workforce distribution. Management favoritism. Week unions.
Great Opportunity
SENIOR MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2018
The job was challenging and fun. I enjoyed the opportunity and the people there. There was tremendous opportunities to learn and grow, although not much opportunity to promote or advance.
Manager
Control Center Analyst, Customer Service Manager, (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2018
Long hours away from home. Holiday always worked , Shift work Very stressful position. No set hours one day 7-3 next day 3-11 following that 11-7 couldn't get set shift.
Pros
Paid very well
Cons
Other employees
This is a very productive, fun loving work environment and to top if off, Safety is the number one priority here.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2018
Working at Amtrak is hard but intense work, among union brother, also having the unity among them, and the knowledge of the people here, who know their jobs and love their work. Also among all this, is being able to work in an environment where Safety is their number one priority.
Good Pay and benefits weak culture.
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
If your looking for good benefits this is the place for you. Pay is lower than other railroads. The hours for new employees are mostly working nights and no weekends off. The culture is one of a hurry up and wait attitude, the work can be dangerous and safety needs to be addressed. Management has absolutely no clue of how to run this organization safely, but if you work safely and follow the rules you should have an enjoyable work experience and return to your family in one piece. Specific locations attempt to thwart employees from advancing to other crafts or moving up in the company (probably to keep from hiring). Overall Amtrak pays the bills .
Pros
Free train rides
Cons
Hours, quality of life, advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.