Ancestry Employee Reviews

Can be very stressful, but seems to vary by department
Core member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2018
Cool and contemporary work area. Can be a demanding and stressful environment. Many people are happy there, but they also have a high turnover rate. Good benefits and perks. Semi annual outings, free lunch on Mondays, and happy hour outings ever few months.
Pros
Free lunch on Monday, company outings and happy hours
Cons
Can be a stressful and demanding environment
Ancestry is Vibrant Company
International Customer Solutions Associate (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTAugust 21, 2018
Love the Ancestry environment and family feel. Awesome managers and amazing product. Great company! Consistent work. Opportunity for overtime. Great benefits.
Pros
Great Training, Great Product
Cons
Lack of Career Advancement
Great Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 1, 2018
The culture developed at our department was done so because we (the management team) created this wonderful work environment. Through business decision for cost savings, Ancestry has now outsourced our department. The company is wonderful to work for, the mission and goal is admirable, and the products are something that you can take pride in. I will truly miss working for Ancestry.
Productive and fun we played ping pong
Archival Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 18, 2018
I loved working at Ancestry. I felt like I made a difference in the world of Genealogy. We had great times with great people. I would recommend this type of job to anyone.
Pros
Great people
Cons
The office closed
Alright to work at Ancestry
Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 28, 2018
Daily scrum meetings
Daily Systems Administration work
Management alright.
Some periodic company and management meetings
Work culture alright
Cant say there is any bad part of the job
Most enjoyable part not applicable
Great people
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 23, 2018
Ancestry has an amazing product. Over the years, management has changed quite a bit. Now that big companies are moving to Silicon Slopes (Lehi, UT), Ancestry just had to move up there with them from their Provo location. It wasn't the best move. Even though they lost a large number of very good employees that did not want to commute, there are still a good group of people there.

Good company, good benefits, and great people make it an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Benefits...good people
Cons
advancement from within doesn't happen much anymore
Great place to work with great benefits
Off Mgr/Executive Assistant, Member Services (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 14, 2018
Ancestry is a great place to work with great benefits and a good culture. A typical day at work includes professional interaction with our talented department VP, director, managers, and employees. A typical day also includes working with outside vendors, handling facilities issues and various tasks related to employee rewards, recognition and satisfaction programs. Over the years I have learned additional valuable professional people skills, manager skills and technology skills. I've learned the roles of the company's various departments and how they contribute to the company as a whole. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with good people and the variety of tasks that help create a great working environment.
not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTApril 3, 2018
They want you to do a ton of work, but not really compensate you for it. Its really hard to get hired on in the first place, but once you do, forget raises and advancements.
Culture has changed
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  LehiMarch 2, 2018
If I had done this review a year ago, it would have been 5 stars across the board, but things have changed drastically in the last few months at Ancestry.
Pros
cafe, gym, work life balance
Cons
constantly changing deadlines and priorities, pressurized environment
its an ok place
Tech Support/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 1, 2018
ancestry is a good place to work but they dont like raising pay.it was a work at home job with a different vendor. the calls had to be on point, and your qa also
Good product, great people, lackluster interdepartmental communication
Customer Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 30, 2018
I worked at Ancestry for nearly 3 years.

Pros: The coworkers were great, customers weren't as nightmarish as other call centers, and the office culture was hard to beat. Free cereal and coffee machine, as well as daily hot lunches. (Though you had to pay for them.)

Cons: Often times a major change can happen without prior notice. In one such case, we announced the discontinuation of a product via email to our members, and the phones were slammed immediately. The problem here was that those providing support were actually the last people to know about this rather vital piece of information.
Pros
Great people working in the call center
Cons
It can feel like corporate is an entirely different entity from member services.
Great company
Accounting Clerk, Accounting (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2018
Excellent company. Great life-work balance. Excellent benefits. Management is absolutely wonderful. Supervisor was always willing to answer questions, train on some new projects.
The company is good to work for but depends on the department
Senior Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJanuary 13, 2018
Management could be good or bad depending on the department. There have been a lot of layoffs in the last couple of years due to departmental reorganization so that is something to keep in mind.
Working at ancestry was a very positive experience.
Digital Preservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2018
Employees were encouraged to give feedback once a month. These suggestions improved the work environment and increased productivity. this job gave me the opportunity to train new hires.
Pros
Free breakfast treat once a week.
Cons
Only part time.
Fun workplace with fun people
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 25, 2017
Ancestry is a highly professional company that holds onto it values of making a really good work environment for each of its employers to reach their full potential
Pros
Everything was awesome
Cons
Nothing bad
Ancestry design
Senior Visual Designer (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 25, 2017
Ancestry is an excellent place to live in if you want to be involved with peoples stories.. Management is great, and they really take care of everyone there.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
great place to work
AWS/ DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 27, 2017
Good management and nice place to learn lot of stuff .I enjoyed working there its very fun place to work.The work environment is incredibly high paced.
Cons
not good for contractors
Work with Meaning
Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 17, 2017
It was really nice to do work that I believe in (helping people find their family history) and that had direct value for both customer and company. It's also a pretty friendly, fun work environment.
Pros
Meaningful work, Free soda, Beautifully geeky coworkers, Free subscription to Ancestry, Annual Pie Day competition
Cons
Full time and career advancement are hard to get within my department (Imaging)
Disconnect
Archival Digitalization Specialist- Contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2017
It was hard being a satellite for Ancestry, it felt like it was hard to communicate to them the problems we were having and fixing them they way the wanted would sometimes be impossible.
Fun Place
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 25, 2017
I learned so may life long skills here and really enjoyed the culture. Unfortunately career advancement was so slow and due to politics, people were promoted that shouldn't have been.
Pros
Cons
Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ancestry. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight