Ancestry Employee Reviews

Productive and fun we played ping pong
Archival Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 18, 2018
I loved working at Ancestry. I felt like I made a difference in the world of Genealogy. We had great times with great people. I would recommend this type of job to anyone.
Pros
Great people
Cons
The office closed
Great people
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 23, 2018
Ancestry has an amazing product. Over the years, management has changed quite a bit. Now that big companies are moving to Silicon Slopes (Lehi, UT), Ancestry just had to move up there with them from their Provo location. It wasn't the best move. Even though they lost a large number of very good employees that did not want to commute, there are still a good group of people there.

Good company, good benefits, and great people make it an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Benefits...good people
Cons
advancement from within doesn't happen much anymore
Great place to work with great benefits
Off Mgr/Executive Assistant, Member Services (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 14, 2018
Ancestry is a great place to work with great benefits and a good culture. A typical day at work includes professional interaction with our talented department VP, director, managers, and employees. A typical day also includes working with outside vendors, handling facilities issues and various tasks related to employee rewards, recognition and satisfaction programs. Over the years I have learned additional valuable professional people skills, manager skills and technology skills. I've learned the roles of the company's various departments and how they contribute to the company as a whole. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with good people and the variety of tasks that help create a great working environment.
not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTApril 3, 2018
They want you to do a ton of work, but not really compensate you for it. Its really hard to get hired on in the first place, but once you do, forget raises and advancements.
its an ok place
Tech Support/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 1, 2018
ancestry is a good place to work but they dont like raising pay.it was a work at home job with a different vendor. the calls had to be on point, and your qa also
Good product, great people, lackluster interdepartmental communication
Customer Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 30, 2018
I worked at Ancestry for nearly 3 years.

Pros: The coworkers were great, customers weren't as nightmarish as other call centers, and the office culture was hard to beat. Free cereal and coffee machine, as well as daily hot lunches. (Though you had to pay for them.)

Cons: Often times a major change can happen without prior notice. In one such case, we announced the discontinuation of a product via email to our members, and the phones were slammed immediately. The problem here was that those providing support were actually the last people to know about this rather vital piece of information.
Pros
Great people working in the call center
Cons
It can feel like corporate is an entirely different entity from member services.
Great company
Accounting Clerk, Accounting (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2018
Excellent company. Great life-work balance. Excellent benefits. Management is absolutely wonderful. Supervisor was always willing to answer questions, train on some new projects.
The company is good to work for but depends on the department
Senior Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJanuary 13, 2018
Management could be good or bad depending on the department. There have been a lot of layoffs in the last couple of years due to departmental reorganization so that is something to keep in mind.
Working at ancestry was a very positive experience.
Digital Preservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 2, 2018
Employees were encouraged to give feedback once a month. These suggestions improved the work environment and increased productivity. this job gave me the opportunity to train new hires.
Pros
Free breakfast treat once a week.
Cons
Only part time.
Ancestry design
Senior Visual Designer (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 25, 2017
Ancestry is an excellent place to live in if you want to be involved with peoples stories.. Management is great, and they really take care of everyone there.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
great place to work
AWS/ DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 27, 2017
Good management and nice place to learn lot of stuff .I enjoyed working there its very fun place to work.The work environment is incredibly high paced.
Cons
not good for contractors
Work with Meaning
Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTOctober 17, 2017
It was really nice to do work that I believe in (helping people find their family history) and that had direct value for both customer and company. It's also a pretty friendly, fun work environment.
Pros
Meaningful work, Free soda, Beautifully geeky coworkers, Free subscription to Ancestry, Annual Pie Day competition
Cons
Full time and career advancement are hard to get within my department (Imaging)
Disconnect
Archival Digitalization Specialist- Contractor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2017
It was hard being a satellite for Ancestry, it felt like it was hard to communicate to them the problems we were having and fixing them they way the wanted would sometimes be impossible.
Fun Place
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJuly 25, 2017
I learned so may life long skills here and really enjoyed the culture. Unfortunately career advancement was so slow and due to politics, people were promoted that shouldn't have been.
Pros
Cons
Advancement
Fun workplace, kinda sucky job
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 3, 2017
Basically, working at Ancestry is nice. I enjoyed working there. The people are really fantastic and it's pretty much as good as a call center can get. But it's still a call center.
Fun, good work place
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 28, 2017
This was a normal call center job, and was surprisingly good to me.

Only reason I left was due to having to relocate for school or I would have stayed.

Friendly staff, great benefits, and wonderful flexibility with scheduling.
Great place to work!!!
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 3, 2017
This was a great place to work and I enjoyed my 2 years here! Management is great overall though there are definitely improvements to make. Benefits and pay were the best out of any job I've had and this I really enjoyed! Co-workers and trainers were also pleasant.
Pros
Great benefits, good & steady hours with plenty of OT opportunities, Pto, Vto
Cons
Updates to job or software aren't always communicated
Loved working for Ancestry. It taught me a lot.
Ancestry call Agent (Former Employee) –  Worked from home.May 1, 2017
Really great company to work for. Always have help from multiple supervisors. Everyone is so kind and Polite. As long as your job is done there is no complaints at all. I really loved working for them.
Fun place to work, management is great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 11, 2017
Great place to work, good salary, cares about your success and privacy of customers information. I would recommend this job to anyone who would like a fair, calm place to work.
Pros
Meals available to purchase
Cons
Not a lot of other places around if you don't want to eat there.
The only care about money
Solutions specialist (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 5, 2017
They only care about money. They make everyone work all but two days per year. Ok, it's a business, but it's a lot of trash saying you have to work everyday to support people about their pointless ancestry questions and listening to complaints about hey are Native American when heir DNA says the aren't. I hate this job. They also really just don't care. RPM- the people who are over scheduling and what not are lazy, but when there is an actual family emergency they laugh and say you can leave unless you talk an attendance point- dumb! My manager was great though, but his manager wasn't worth much.
Good thing I had a night job at the local cat walk.
Pros
Free cereal and hot chocolate
Cons
Bad work life balance, management that only wants to look for negatives and not acknowledge the positive things, bad environment, management gets in trouble and others have to pay for it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ancestry. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight