Ancestry Employee Review

Sucks
Sales & Support (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 15, 2013
A Typical day at work is very stressful and some customers are rude and abusive towards employees. They will make the issues personal towards you and then claim that you hung up on them. In all my years of call center experience they are the worst bunch of customers I have ever dealt with.

I have learned a lot of important information on my ancestors. A plus is my family loves that I'm working for them, but on the other hand, not so much. I am not happy there.

Management could use a serious overhaul!! They're not on the same page. I don't like feeling as if I'm being micromanaged by senior management. Employees get told that they have never fired anyone for their call time, but they write you up for it and put you on a final and tell you to improve or you're gone. Doesn't make any sense at all. They lie & cheat their employees out of their dignity and expect too much from them in a 3 week training and then slam them with everything you need to work on your own. They tell you they have only fired employees for attendance problems, another lie!

Great coworkers. But the turnover is ridiculously high!!! They pack up your desk into a box while your super is firing you and escort you out the door like a criminal leaving a prison.

The hardest part of the job, lack of support from the so called supervisors and they hold you accountable for the long hold time to reach support!!! The hold time goes against your call time, as if it's your fault in the first place for needing help. I have personally waited more than 10 minutes for any supervisor or support department to answer
  more... my call. I see they all of them are goofing off in chat which is supposed to be some of our support instead of assisting you. It's a vicious cycle!!

Their attendance policy is unthinkably stupid!!! VTO is non existent, but they tell you it's available if the call volume goes down!! Phones are poorly covered, hold time is a long wait for our customers. And employee don't get anytime to breathe!!

They call themselves and Equal Opportunity Employer, but promote the newbies to positions without posting them for long time employees to fill. How is that equal? Exactly!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is I'll find another one.
Pros
Cafeteria food, never enough for all employees!
Cons
H/R is not available unless you want to send an email.

Other Ancestry Employee Reviews

Productive and fun we played ping pong
Archival Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 18, 2018
I loved working at Ancestry. I felt like I made a difference in the world of Genealogy. We had great times with great people. I would recommend this type of job to anyone.
Pros
Great people
Cons
The office closed
Alright to work at Ancestry
Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 28, 2018
Daily scrum meetings
Daily Systems Administration work
Management alright.
Some periodic company and management meetings
Work culture alright
Cant say there is any bad part of the job
Most enjoyable part not applicable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ancestry. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight