Angels On Call Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not Worth It
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lemoyne, PAMay 4, 2018
I was hired as a full time employee but for the past 2 weeks I haven't even cleared 20 hours, and I'm actively looking for new employment. The closest client to me is a 20 minute drive, the others vary between 30 and 40 minutes. You are not reimbursed for that mileage. You are only reimburse for mileage if you run errands for a client, or have 2 clients in one day where the shifts end and start within an hour of each other. The amount of time I've spent in my car going to clients or the office is ridiculous. On average, I need to drive to the office between 2 and 4 times a week to sign this, or meet with them about that. Management is terrible at returning your calls, and NEVER returns your emails. My availability recently changed due to my spouse interviewing for an evening job, and being offered to start that same week. I drove to the office, filled out the paper and told them when he was starting. The next day I got a call asking if I went in, because there was no new availability sheet submitted. So I drove out AGAIN to complete it. They then told me it would take 2 WEEKS to go into effect (which, in honesty, is understandable). It was two weeks this past Thursday and I am still on the schedule after 6 pm and I feel like they will be penalizing me in the near future because I had to call the office 4 times between Thursday and Friday to tell them that I could not work the weekend hours I was listed for due to my spouse having to work. In our area, it is just the two of us and we do not make enough to afford a sitter. The app that they use to record hours does not allow you  more... to clock in or out and most clients do not allow you to use their phone to call the automated system, so time sheets are required. I have gone to multiple clients homes where there are no more timesheets. Normally you can call the office and they will clock you in and out, but if it's after 5pm and this happens, you're on your own. I have not been paid for a total of 26 hours due to this and am in the process of filing a complaint. They have 3 different pay rates and they do not tell you that training is only $7.50. PT hours will grant you $10.50 and FT will only get you $12. The only "plus" to this company isn't really with the company itself, its with the clients. They are wonderful people, each with fascinating stories about their lives. I will be sad to no longer be with them when I leave the company to go to something better.  less
Pros
Client Interactions
Cons
Poor Management, Unfair Pay, Unfair Practices/ Policies/ Too Much Travel, Very Little Mileage Reimbursement
A company that cares about your success! AOC
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 1, 2018
Working for this company is truly a blessing. The management team is very knowledgeable and will help you with whatever you may need. The director of business development is so friendly and is always there when you need her. Also the company is filled with diversity and inclusion and that fits with my daily life. I love Angels!
Pros
Flexible Schedule
One of the best jobs I’ve ever had!
Full Time Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAApril 18, 2018
I have been with this company for two years now. I’ve never had any issues with the staff, including the management. If you do your job, don’t call out for ridiculous reasons, stay out of the drama, and do what is expected, you’ll do fine! If you’re the type of person who just wants a job, but doesn’t want to do the work, and don’t take this job! You are a caregiver your expected to do Your job, and the management will call the clients to make sure you are doing your job.

You make your own schedule, and you’re only required to work two weekends a month. They do want you to work some holidays, would you want to get holiday pay for that day. This job has been perfect for me, because I am a single mother of two school-age kids. They know my availability, and they stick with it. They have worked very well with me, if I needed to shift a client around for the day, because of a two hour school delay.
Pros
Mileage pay, competitive pay, PYou make your own schedule, and you’re only required to work two weekends a month, Pto, holiday pay, flexible schedule, rewarding job.
"Supportive Work Family"
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lemoyne, PAApril 18, 2018
This is a fast paced working environment -- everyday there's a new and exciting challenge. There is money to be made in this business, but you have to be ready and eager to work! My coworkers are awesome and management is always ready to support us as well.
I not only found my job, I found my career!
Director of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 11, 2018
I couldn't ask for a better team or employer! I help people every day, have an awesome work life balance, and love what I do!

I am very blessed to be part of the Angels on Call family!
Home Health Aide (Caregiver) (Current Employee) –  Newport, PAMarch 7, 2018
It was a good place to have experience with things in the health field. I worked with many types of clients all in need of different kinds of care. It was stressful at times but also a great experience.
Awful place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 2, 2018
This is such a bad company to work for. They literally don’t care about the employees. Before I was hired they say you make your own schedule and they have great benefits after 3 months. They never said there’s no career advancement. Every time I had to go there I had to pay for parking and they didn’t reimburse you. You don’t get benefits until a year. The hours are so inconsistent. Some days I’d work a two hour shift and hours would be a 14 hour shift. The clients home were usually always at least 30 minutes away. The management will only contact you if there’s an open shift. I’ve had to call three times in one day to get a call back. Don’t even bother applying.
Cons
Management, hours, wage
This is a great place for individuals wbo need flexability with work hours
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Newport, PAFebruary 26, 2018
I have worked with this company for 3 years. It was a great place to work while I was in college because I made my own schedule and chose what hours I wanted to work.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No always the best hours even though you scedule them
Not for everyone
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 18, 2018
The management was fine, but they could never guarantee you hours. One week you'll be working 40+ hours and the next week you'll be working 15 hours. And to maintain a $12 pay rate you have to work an average of 30 hours a week. There was also no room for advancement in the job and the highest you can get paid is $12 and hour. The job duties were cleaning the client, feeding, driving to appointments, and everything else you can think of. It was an okay job to start out, but like I said there is absolutely NO room for advancement.
Pros
Off every other weekend
Cons
No guaranteed hours, not advancement, low salary
Great For Beginners
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Newport, PAJanuary 11, 2018
This job is great for those wishing to work in the medical field. The company was bought in April of 2016 and is currently revamping everything. Management is very pleasant but there is no set routine or outline of how things should be done. We are told that we are not to do things like take blood sugar but when we are at the home we find out that we do take blood sugar (just an example). You work when you are available but there isn't always work when needed.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
lack of work
too much work not enough pay
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJanuary 5, 2018
I was hired on as a fulltime employee, first off... they don't mention to you that training for the first week or so is minimum wage! Management is very unorganized, to say the least! Scheduling is total ridiculousness, they try to get you to commute 30 miles out of your way and if you decline to drive out that far, you basically get cut hours. Like I said, hired on FT, in the months I was employed with AOC, I maybe had one pay period or two that was 80 hrs. I had to leave as soon as I was offered a better job, with better pay, better hours. I did however feel bad for the clients I had to say good bye to, but that's it!
Oh and whomever does the payroll basically never gets it right, I had to really be on top of my hours for the little I was getting paid!
Pros
some clients are nice
Cons
management, pay, hours
self fulfilling
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 27, 2017
overall i liked the job, but the clients took advantage of the caregiver and the office did not support the caregiver reports. it was self fulfilling but stressful
Pros
schedule
Cons
overtime
Awful place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 24, 2017
Stay away!!! Management doesn't care about employees at all. They don't care about clients either. Pay is very low and limited compensation for anything extra you do. Cut throat environment to say it's hostile is an understatement. I was bullied and harrased on a daily basis by administrative staff. Administrative staff are allowed to do whatever they want with no consequences.
Pros
Cons
Lack of pay, management is hostile, expectations of employees are high with no compensation
Awesome office staff and coworkers
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJuly 17, 2017
Angels On Call is a great place to work if you work from the right office. The office that I was working through was GREAT! I had an amazing, caring management team that cared about you as a person and not just as an employee. This office was very family oriented and it showed in the work environment. The best part of working for Angels On Call was actually the staff that I had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Flexible schedules, family oriented
Cons
Corporate Management was not the greatest
the most horrible company to work for!!!
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 29, 2017
To start off, the clients were great. The managment sucked so bad! They would call at any hour of the night to see if you could work, then get mad if you couldnt go in at 11 at night to cover some one else. They would advertise that clients are like family but when you go and above your job, then you would get into trouble. They would threaten you and your clients if you would say you could not take a shift. Angels on call told me i HAD to take a 2 hour shift 1 hour away from my home and i worked it for a while but told them i couldnt do it in the long run. Eventually i told them i couldnt keep driving an hour away to work 2 hours just to drive back an hour. I had babysitting costs which was more then what i was making. They said my clients would not get care if i didnt keep that shift and i gave them 2 weeks notice! They would leave clients with out care, and if you emailed the managers then they didnt communicate with each other so it came back on you as if you never told them something.

Like i said before though the clients were great. I loved them, loved to care for them, and work for and with them.
Just the managment sucked.
Nice workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Newport, PAApril 6, 2017
I enjoy this job. The rate of pay just isn't enough for me. It is a good environment and the managers are very understanding. You also get to make your own schedule.
Pros
Make schedule, good coworkers
Cons
Pay, benefits
Goid job
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 24, 2017
Loved works with people older then me , you get to learn about life before you were here. How life was about years ago. I love being able to give back to others.
They sound good..
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Just like any other caregiver job out here. Don't adhere to your availability that you give. Aren't as flexible as they say. You upset management your hours get cut. You don't feel comfortable with working with a client that's usually who you get stuck with. Getting a hold of anyone at the office and having a conversation is impossible.. unless they want you to work a shift someone called off on. But that's it. Have to pay for your uniform t-shirts. They act as if they are given to you.
Pros
The clients
Cons
No real hours. Getting ahold ofmanagement. Drive time
Satisfactory work environment
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 8, 2017
New challenges on a daily basis! Senior home care changes on a daily basis and new clients and caregivers present new challenges, as do clients no longer needing service and caregivers leaving the job unexpectedly! New ownership brought new challenges as well and things were changed drastically and caused a difficult situation at the time of my departure to move out of state.
Very good place to work
HHA (Former Employee) –  Lemoyne, PASeptember 13, 2016
Getting client to their appointment.
taking client on errand.
helping client with adl
the job wasn't hard
the most enjoyable part was making the client happy in doing what they wanted you to do