Animal Humane Society Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Challenging, fun, great organization
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJune 28, 2018
The Humane Society is a great place to work. It's not an easy job and there are a lot of heart breaking moments but the work is rewarding and the good far outweighs the bad.
Pros
rewaarding, great peopple to wok with and kittens
Cons
There are a lot of tech skills that aren't used in shelter medicine
Okay job if you're okay with low pay and emotional exhaustion
Staff (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 15, 2018
Obviously this is a nonprofit so the pay isn't amazing. However, I'm finding it nearly impossible to survive on what I'm being paid, which sucks. You have sales goals to meet as well and there's always a threat that you might lose your job otherwise. I love helping the animals but it's an emotionally exhausting job.
Experience varies widely depending on position.
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJune 6, 2018
There seems to be a very big difference in job satisfaction depending upon what role/job you have within the organization. There is a high amount of staff turnover and empty seats in some key supervisory and management roles. You'd just have to take a chance and see if your position turns out to be good or bad...
Loved my job!!
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNFebruary 21, 2018
Awesome place to work! Loved my co workers and management! I only left because of another job opportunity or I would still be working There! I often think of going back. Great place!
Best job ever
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 25, 2018
....I loved working at Animal Humane Society, Woodbury because of the people I worked with. They were amazing, both staff and volunteers. I have never met a group of harder working, more caring people in my life. AHS is a progressive organization, so if you're not comfortable with change, then you likely will have a hard time adjusting. The organization focuses a lot on culture health, positivism, and open communication. Not everyone is on the same page here, and it can get frustrating when others aren't direct with you about your performance. Overall, if you're willing to take part in an awesome mission and put in the hard work to get where you want to be, AHS is fantastic. Lots of opportunity for growth, cross-training and development. I have them to thank for success Ive had since moving away. Woodbury especially, has always been amazing!
Pros
Great culture, lifelong friends that feel like family, work-life balance, benefits
Cons
not everyone being on the same page about positive, open and honest communication
Great Cause, Great Coworkers, Cut Throat Manager
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 24, 2018
I typical day involved accounting and payroll. I learned non-profit accounting here.

The workplace culture was casual, though very tense. The tension was because of the manager of the department. She made everyone on the team miserable.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with a manager who nit picked everything about everyone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and working around animals. I made lifetime friends while working there.
Pros
Great people, working with animals
Cons
Negative manager
Productive place to work but the work is emotional
Rep (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 8, 2017
Each day is extremely busy and fast-paced. Working in the animal welfare field is very emotional and it's easy to get lost in that. They do offer help with compassion fatigue but sometimes that's not enough. I do not support the direction the organization is going, they are losing track of what they originally stood for.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay
Productive and Friendly
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNNovember 27, 2017
As a volunteer, I was not responsible for much, but I did learn valuable communication skills with guests and coworkers. On a daily basis, I patrolled the dog kennels and monitored the animals to make sure they were not showing signs of illness or injury, as well as cleaning enclosures when needed. I would also answer any questions or concerns about any of the animals available for adoption, and would allow guests to take animals for walks or spend time playing in visitation rooms. Management was always very understanding when I had difficulties arriving for a shift or needing to reschedule, and they always showed their appreciation for their volunteers by providing free food and beverages in the break room. The most difficult part of the job had to be when some guests became upset about wanting animals that were on hold for adoption and claiming to have wanted the animal first, but the problem was always easily solved by bringing a representative to the scene. As a person who loves all animals, getting to work at the humane society was rewarding knowing that I had helped several animals find new homes.
Pros
Free food/drinks in the break room for both volunteers and employees.
Cons
Shortages of other volunteers.
Highly physically demanding job with a lot of emotional blackmail
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNOctober 4, 2017
You have to be tough as nails to be able to work here for a long time. Management has become a micro-managing ever present shadow and while the coworker team itself is great and lots of fun you cannot have too much fun or you will get talked to about it.
Pros
Free food in the break room frequently
Cons
Hard to actually get a break
Poor Management, Bad Atmosphere
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 9, 2017
While working here, the "hourly" co-workers are great to work with. These co-workers helped each other out and helped make the busy days go a lot easier. However, the management is unable to adapt to changes, allow for criticism, or take any sort of concerns without consequences being brought to the person bringing up these things.

This allows for a poor atmosphere, creating tension between the co-workers and management. Many people who have brought up complaints/criticisms were fired fairly quickly for "not being a team player."

The work done is fulfilling and if you are passionate, it is incredible. Unfortunately, most people don't last very long because of the incredibly incompetent management and supervisors. It is a shame that a place that does so much good for the world is led by upper-management that is not able to do their own jobs, making it the tech's and vet assistant's job.
Fast paced with friendly people
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNAugust 18, 2017
I performed physical exams on pets, did intake on pets that were being released to the humane society, checked to make sure they would be adoptable. the hardest part of the job was having to euthanize pets that weren't adoptable.
Dismal management ruins otherwise great workplace
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNJuly 18, 2017
The Good: a stellar organization that does vital, lifesaving work. Enthusiastically recommended as a place for volunteering, adopting, or surrendering pets. Coworkers are wonderful, passionate people who wholeheartedly dedicate themselves to animal welfare. Pay is good for a non-profit.

The Bad: management of paid staff is frankly appalling. There is a stark, resentful divide between actual shelter workers and desk-sitting supervisors/management, who routinely place unrealistic expectations and workloads on shelter staff because they have no concept of how chaotic and taxing the work is both physically and emotionally. Higher-ups claim to care greatly about employee burnout but do little to avert it. Sites are often understaffed, and not finishing your work will earn you a reprimand, yet you'll also get reprimanded if you skip lunches or stay past your shift in order to cope with the never-ending workload. Good, hardworking employees are subject to termination over vague or insignificant issues. Staff are clearly viewed as disposable, and the high turnover rate keeps that at the forefront of everyone's minds.
Pros
Fulfilling work, helping people/animals, wonderful staff/volunteers, org is well-funded and rarely cuts corners
Cons
Terrible management, little job security, pay not worth the immense stress, protocol is paramount even at expense of animals/employees
Rewarding place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJuly 16, 2017
Everyday was different and you leave work knowing you really made a difference in the lives of people and animals alike. This was a very fullfilling place to work.
Great Mission, questionable leadership
Adoption Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJune 25, 2017
People come to work for AHS because of the animals, but tend to end up staying due to their coworkers. The work is meaningful and fulfilling, if emotionally (and financially) challenging. Direct supervisors and Managers tend to be great, as does the Senior Leadership Team, but Ops Directors have created a workplace where you feel afraid to ask questions in case you'll get fired, where there's not a lot of opportunity for growth, and where directors hold grudges.
Pros
Animals!
Cons
toxic leadership
Great Loaction to Give Back to the Community
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMay 29, 2017
My work was 100% voluntary and I received no pay. I enjoyed the time spent with the animals to me it was a humbling experience. The staff that worked for the Humane society shared my passion for taking care of animals.
Pros
Seeing the joy the animals have with human interaction
Cons
I couldn't adopt every animal
it is a fun work place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXMay 8, 2017
i really love animals and i really want to work with them and there fun to play with and the puppies are really cute and i love cats dogs and horses that all
Pros
free lunches
Cons
shorts breaks
Fun and rewarding place to work
Animal House Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 26, 2017
Everyone is so fun to work with and the work that we do is so rewarding! It is always a good feeling to know that I work at a place that makes a difference in the community in so many different ways!
Rewarding, but very exhausting work
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 12, 2017
The very best thing about working for AHS is knowing that the work you do makes a difference in the lives of animals every day! The coworkers I had were fantastic - very supportive and willing to help others learn. The pay is really good for a non-profit organization, and the benefits are outstanding. However, it's pretty much impossible to finish all the tasks you need to get done in one 8-hour shift. Employees are consistently encouraged to "reach out" when they need help, but there's really no one to reach out to because everyone is swamped with their own tasks, so hearing "reach out" day in and day out was essentially meaningless. Management was also inconsistent -- I had three different managers in the span of a year, and expectations differed from manager to manager, so it was difficult to get a real handle for what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Additionally, during the employee retreats there are anonymous questions asked of senior leadership and some of them are pretty inappropriate. I felt awkward and uncomfortable being surrounded by that tension.
Pros
Great benefits, being able to be a part of a team that genuinely cares about animals and their welfare, kind coworkers and volunteers.
Cons
Inconsistent leadership and uncommunicated expectations, workload is beyond excessive, good people who worked hard were terminated for ridiculous reasons without any prior warning.
great place to work
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 30, 2017
i enjoyed everyday i worked there. it was a great place with a great work environment. everyone got along great. the only downfall was the commute. i drove 100 miles one way.
Great place to help animals but suffers from cult like environment instilled by management
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2017
Great place to get some animal handling experience but a dead end job more often than not. The facility is very clique based and hard to be accepted into.
Pros
Great coworkers, lots of amazing volunteers, animals appreciate the work
Cons
Terrible pay, ungrateful "leadership", everything is "for the organization"