Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
73Above average

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Employee Reviews

United States252 reviews
Worked in the ED and loved the facility, the management, and the team I worked with. There was a great orientation and there was a lot of support starting out. Can't say enough good things about it.
Nice Org to Work For
Great culture and team.
You won’t get a big increase every year but the PTO and flexibility offered to use it makes it a little easier to accept the so so pay and increases.

Keep in mind this is a non profit org!

Location is not great for anyone outside Chicago but there are plenty of options to get you there. Bag your lunch or plan on spending $15 a day minimum plus your travel and parking! Not cheap.
Great place to work for.
The best place to work for. Amplitude for professional growth. Their work ethics and culture is great. The patients and family make a difference in how work gets done.
Poor Management
Great hospital but very poor management support service manager very a messy demeanor ,gossip with other Secretary and causes a lot of tension between the team.
Pros
Pay was fair
Cons
Lunch breaks, and management
Long hours, restrictive PTO policies
This healthcare organization has a strong commitment to caring for all who need the help we provide. I love my work but often, I hate my job.

There is no option for anything but 12 hour shifts for bedside work (which I love). Eight hour shifts were eliminated. It was 33 years before I got every 4th weekend. PTO-S is restrictive: we get a generous amount, but are not able to utilize it because of budget constraints. Additionally, sick call is strictly limited. Though the city of Chicago mandates 40 hrs/year of mandatory personal sick leave (PSL) for all Chicago employers, we are only allowed two incidents of calling in/12 month period before disciplinary action is started. This makes for challenging work/life balance.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
n/A
This job provided a lot of opportunities in working in different areas. I feel with any job management sometimes don't understand the employees point of view.
Music Therapy Intern
I interned at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago from January 2016-July 2016. Throughout my entire experience, I interacted and worked with amazing and innovative team members, and received ample opportunities to learn and grow my skills as a new, professional music therapist.
Amazing
Lurie's is a truly magical place to work. Staff are nice, patients are incredible and give you such a feeling of helping and belonging. Truly an ideal place
Productive place to work as a student nurse
I definitely enjoyed doing my pediatrics rotation at Lurie's. The place is amazing in providing excellent care for children. The staff were very helpful in helping me learn pediatric nursing hands-on.
Good.
The Hospital itself and employees are good. Although, in certain departments and areas of the hospital there is not enough inclusion of all employees, and there may seem to be tension.
It was an ok place to work at
This company is really a great place to work at; however The department I previously worked for was under appreciated. We were considered "the voice" of Children's, but we were hardly ever positively recognized for our contribution to the organization. The benefits are actually great though, so that's a plus.
Na
A great specialty hospital. Patient care is a priority. Individuals, clinical and non-clinical are compassionate. Staff help you and those close to you to cope emotionally with your care and treatment.
Be wary where you decide to work
The administration seems to have the lock on advancements and raises. There is no trickle down. There are tons of people here that are lifers and will probably retire there. There is truly no advancement offered unless you are a prized pet. Beware of the nepotism here. Several family members work in the same departments but people are told to keep it quiet. If you are an excellent worker and love a challenge then apply elsewhere. Some managers have a way of getting into your head and being very passive aggressive. You will hate yourself for trying to succeed and moving on. This is their way. Internal hiring is limited and you really have to know someone on the inside to move up.

Upper management has no idea what their employees truly go through. The emotional and mental abuse is unreal. You constantly walk around with the feeling that you are truly worthless and can never find another place to go.
An ok work environment
I really don’t have nothing to say at this time . I enjoy working nights and I like my schedule ............................................:::::::::.
awesome
awesome place to work and they really put the kids first and they encourage there staff to grow and also understands that the employees play a key role in the success of the hosital
Good for those looking for long term positions.
There are opportunities to move up. Good for students who are going to school and looking for a company that is flexible. The only downside is the weekends and he way each floor calculate holidays.
Pretentious!
I was hired to bring diversity and a fresh perspective to the trauma team. My opinions were not valued. One of my many roles was a consultant for Chicago Public Schools and I was sent out for site-visits. I was blatantly ignored by a principal at a school who did not want the services. At the end of the service period, in order to save face, she stated I had not performed my job duties. Instead of receiving support from my team and director, AND the director of the program at CPS despite showing evidence I had reached out to this principal on many occasions, I was let go and the director at CPS was hired in my place. Despite ALL my other roles and successes on 4 other projects and dozens of state-wide trainings. In general, the team was out of touch with working with youth - I was the only one on the team to still be working in direct services with the specific population of youth targeted by our services (another "reason I was hired"). I received excellent ratings and feedback from all presentations, conferences, trainings and other schools for which I performed services. The director even hired her friend to be in charge of operations, another CPS employee, who had NO CLUE what she was doing and definitely NO CLUE about the populations our services serviced! I have 10 years of hospital experience and she attempted to tell me my dress pants were made of a material that was against hospitals' dress codes, told me "those are probably for the club setting" ha!. (they weren't against the dress code of course and they were work/dress pants from Zara - she later apologized, but wow - more...
Great Place for Nursing
Lurie has a great culture for nurses. We are heading into our application for our 5th Magnet recognition, an award that many pediatric hospitals have not obtained.
Limited flexibility
Pros:Love working with the pediatric population and the surgeons/anesthesia here are wonderful.

Cons: work/life balance, benefits, flexibility, limited room for career advancement, unstable management
Great Place to Work
Everyone loves working on the mission of doing everything for the kids. The entire staff from Physicians on down are all awesome. There is a good sense of teamwork and everyone is willing to help each other.
Work environment
Workplace culture was horrible. Other departments seemed happy. Work-life balance little to none. Definitely undervalued for the amount of work you do.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Reviews by Location