Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Employee Reviews

Time for a change
Advanced Practice Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
Management has been absent in our group.
Our group is going to be very short staffed and their is a poor plan for coverage.

The expectations for our job performance have not been made clear.

There is an imbalance in the scheduling of the nurses.
Excellent Mission, Poor Supply Chain Management
Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2018
The Sr Director in charge of Supply Chain has an AP background and does not know how to run a procurement department. The department is shedding staff, and the department continues to run poorly, which is a sure sign of poor management.
Pros
Fulfilling Work
Cons
Incompetent Sr Director
Friendly environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
Worked as an intern during high school. Friendly environment coworkers were nice. Don't have much to say because I was only a high school intern. Great opportunity though.
Unfriendly work environment
Advanced Practice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2018
Felt unsupported by management, the have their "in crowds" and are not inclusive of the new people, The pay is bad-they feel like you should feel privileged to work their therefore accept a lower salary. Parking is outrageous, benefits are awful. They do provide great care to the kids but a very hostile environment
Pros
Provide good care to the Kids
Cons
Hostile enviornment
Warm and family friendly atmosphere
Administrative Supervisor - Heart Center (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2018
Lurie is accommodating and understanding with regard to work/life balance. Working on behalf of the hospital mission and vision brings a great sense of pride. Location is great.

Change is slow to develop and compensation is low.
Pros
Warmth. Mission.
Cons
compensation
Lurie as a culture
Does it really matter? (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
I really wanted to work at Lurie. My family experienced care from them when they were Children's Memorial. I was excited to become part of the team. I was quickly disillusioned. There are some really great people working at Lurie. Hemonc and Ambulatory Medicine are stellar examples. Unfortunately, many divisions are so immature in management and professionalism. The culture is not aligned with the Lurie goals and vision. Great commercials, just wish it honestly reflected the reality. Human Resources is a black hole and does nothing to assist employees in coping. Might explain the high turn over. I requested an exit interview. It took 2 weeks to receive a return call. If you are new its like joining a sorority and it starts at the top. I was a great employee. Worked hard and did not have a problem with anyone. I left when my manager continued to bad mouth others and pit employees against one another. Integrity is important to me. I am not the only one who took issues; there are countless employees who have left due to the way others are treated, lacking respect. I have heard people say "Its like this everywhere". No, its not. Good leaders set the tone and build respectful and cohesive teams. Great leaders ARE the example.
Pros
Obviously, if there were pros, I would not be writing this review.
Cons
Already listed above.
Review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
I worked on a medical surgical unit for four years and cared for pediatric patients. I worked in a charge nurse position in that time. It was a challenging floor and I learned a lot.
Pros
Three shifts, good people to work with
Cons
Worked nights, didn't have a lot of advancement opportunities
All for your one
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2018
This institution cares very much for the patients, and will give everything they can to help them. They strive to be the best in their field, and are on the cutting edge of technology and science.
Very educational, very hard working employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2018
Great place to work. Welcoming of everyone. Take great care in service and care to patients, families, and visitors. Great benefits, nice amount of earned PTO
Very Stressful
Documentation Auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2018
We had a 60+ productivity level, and each person had to code for 5-6 different areas. We also had to make training suggestions for the physicians. We had to have all of our charges entered by the last working day of the month, and sometimes the documentation was not in. We would have to notify the physician and ask for the necessary documentation, sometimes inquiry was not well received.
Pros
Good benefits, a lot of work.
Cons
Stress from some of the physicians. No appreciation
Student Experience
Occupational Therapy Student: Fieldwork 2B (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Wonderful place for student fieldwork experience. Very hard working clinicians, evidence based practice is highly valued. Be ready to work hard in this fast paced, high standards setting.
Great work environment with excellent co-workers
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
In the short time I was there, the fellow x-ray techs made me feel welcome and comfortable in the work environment. Everyone was helpful and didn't mind assisting when needed. A great team company.
Great staff and easy workflow
Mail Room Worker (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Working at Lurie's was a great experience when I was in high school because I did learn some work ethic. I also learned a few things about cleaning printers and setting up files and papers for important meetings and social events. I also got to deliver mail to doctors.
Pros
The building had a cafeteria
Cons
The area has minimal street parking
It is all about the children as it should be.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago AvenueSeptember 1, 2018
Senior management are pretty much all two-faced. Very disheartening. Short staffed and even after all the statistics you are refused to hire the staff needed to do the job. Smoke and mirrors. I am not a nurse but the nursing staff are awesome and almost all physicians are wonderful also. Only a few think they are too good to associate with you.
Pros
Working at a children’s hospital is a great experience
Cons
Low pay for area and two-faced senior management.
Great place to work for.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2018
Ann & Robert H. Lurie is a great organization to work for; because it is a children's hospital, many, if not all, employees are extremely compassionate and love working here. A typical workday is always different, no day is ever the same. I learned that you must be very flexible and adapt quickly to an ever-changing environment working for a hospital. Management is great. They treat everyone kindly and respectfully. The culture is a very beautiful one, because it is about placing others (the children) before your needs.

The hardest part of my job is, sometimes, having to be too flexible. But, the most enjoyable part of my job is the people that I work with. They are a great group of individuals. And, I love what I do; I support a great team.
Pros
Employee recognition when deserved, our team outings
Cons
long work days (sometimes); because it is an organization the pay is not adequate
Overall Productive and lots of learning
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2018
My experience was overall good besides the low pay. I was allowed to learn a lot with the doctors. I I had the opportunity to meet some great people who I kept in contact with so overall it wasn't a waste of time because the workplace gave more on the compensation end of things
I have never worked for a more kinder organization!
Senior Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
The kindness of my managers is beyond compare. The mission of this organization can carry you through. Seeing the children and their families means a lot. Always a good feeling.
Pros
The kindness of the people who work here.
Cons
The vacation policy is terrible.
work
Milieu Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2018
OK place, low wages, too structured, nurses and Dr.s lack compassion and involvement. Great way o get experience for younger therapist. Exposed to many types of diagnoses.
Decent JOB to have !!
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
The place is overall a nice job to have but its a lot the higher up don't pay attrition to ! There are things that are looked over and completely bypassed, to them its small potatoes but for the employees it really matters!
Very Professional and Great workforce
Clerical Float Pool Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
Loved working for such a great hospital. Everyone there conducts such amazing work its truly moving to see first hand all that is being accomplished.