Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago Employee Reviews

Poor management
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
The mission of Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital is impressive. The clinical care provided at the hospital is outstanding and second to none in the state of Illinois.
Pros
Excellent clinical care
Cons
Poor management
Rewarding, team oriented, fun place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2019
Lurie Hospital's primary focus is on their patients. They offer an all inclusive environment for the patients and employees and advocate every day to make sure it is upheld. They offer employee training and education and promote advancement within the hospital.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Productive and collaborativeenvironment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
I was there for an internship and it was a great experience overall. I learned a typical day for nurses and doctors. I will definitely like to work at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago someday.
great team
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
The department I worked with was very supportive and a great team. I have nothing but good memories of working at this facility. If you are lucky enough to work there, enjoy the learning experience.
Life at Lurie
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2018
It is a wonderful hospital. The mission drives the organization. Management does a good job of listening to the staff and working to make each day better than the last.
Know the right people
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2018
There are a lot of office politics, and you need to be in good with the right higher ups in order to go anywhere. This isn't true for all departments but for some.
Pros
workplace mission
Cons
work-life balance, growth opportunities
Time for a change
Advanced Practice Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
Management has been absent in our group.
Our group is going to be very short staffed and their is a poor plan for coverage.

The expectations for our job performance have not been made clear.

There is an imbalance in the scheduling of the nurses.
Productive and Professfional Atmosphere
Patient Account Liaison (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
A Typical work day will be attending and making sure our patients are satisfied and we have met their every need. I am very passionate about sharing the best practices that I have learned from both successes and failures in acquisition and management. Management for this company is very professional and assertive. This company culture has employee engagement, teamwork responsibility and accountability. Learning how to manage time and expectations of both colleagues and patients facing new challenges on a daily basis and developing your technical skills is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is as an employee of the healthcare industry you will have the opportunity of witnessing the impact made in several lives.
Excellent Mission, Poor Supply Chain Management
Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2018
The Sr Director in charge of Supply Chain has an AP background and does not know how to run a procurement department. The department is shedding staff, and the department continues to run poorly, which is a sure sign of poor management.
Pros
Fulfilling Work
Cons
Incompetent Sr Director
Friendly environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
Worked as an intern during high school. Friendly environment coworkers were nice. Don't have much to say because I was only a high school intern. Great opportunity though.
Unfriendly work environment
Advanced Practice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2018
Felt unsupported by management, the have their "in crowds" and are not inclusive of the new people, The pay is bad-they feel like you should feel privileged to work their therefore accept a lower salary. Parking is outrageous, benefits are awful. They do provide great care to the kids but a very hostile environment
Pros
Provide good care to the Kids
Cons
Hostile enviornment
Lurie as a culture
Does it really matter? (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
I really wanted to work at Lurie. My family experienced care from them when they were Children's Memorial. I was excited to become part of the team. I was quickly disillusioned. There are some really great people working at Lurie. Hemonc and Ambulatory Medicine are stellar examples. Unfortunately, many divisions are so immature in management and professionalism. The culture is not aligned with the Lurie goals and vision. Great commercials, just wish it honestly reflected the reality. Human Resources is a black hole and does nothing to assist employees in coping. Might explain the high turn over. I requested an exit interview. It took 2 weeks to receive a return call. If you are new its like joining a sorority and it starts at the top. I was a great employee. Worked hard and did not have a problem with anyone. I left when my manager continued to bad mouth others and pit employees against one another. Integrity is important to me. I am not the only one who took issues; there are countless employees who have left due to the way others are treated, lacking respect. I have heard people say "Its like this everywhere". No, its not. Good leaders set the tone and build respectful and cohesive teams. Great leaders ARE the example.
Pros
Obviously, if there were pros, I would not be writing this review.
Cons
Already listed above.
Review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
I worked on a medical surgical unit for four years and cared for pediatric patients. I worked in a charge nurse position in that time. It was a challenging floor and I learned a lot.
Pros
Three shifts, good people to work with
Cons
Worked nights, didn't have a lot of advancement opportunities
All for your one
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2018
This institution cares very much for the patients, and will give everything they can to help them. They strive to be the best in their field, and are on the cutting edge of technology and science.
Very educational, very hard working employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2018
Great place to work. Welcoming of everyone. Take great care in service and care to patients, families, and visitors. Great benefits, nice amount of earned PTO
Very Stressful
Documentation Auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2018
We had a 60+ productivity level, and each person had to code for 5-6 different areas. We also had to make training suggestions for the physicians. We had to have all of our charges entered by the last working day of the month, and sometimes the documentation was not in. We would have to notify the physician and ask for the necessary documentation, sometimes inquiry was not well received.
Pros
Good benefits, a lot of work.
Cons
Stress from some of the physicians. No appreciation
Student Experience
Occupational Therapy Student: Fieldwork 2B (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Wonderful place for student fieldwork experience. Very hard working clinicians, evidence based practice is highly valued. Be ready to work hard in this fast paced, high standards setting.
Great work environment with excellent co-workers
Student Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
In the short time I was there, the fellow x-ray techs made me feel welcome and comfortable in the work environment. Everyone was helpful and didn't mind assisting when needed. A great team company.
Great staff and easy workflow
Mail Room Worker (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Working at Lurie's was a great experience when I was in high school because I did learn some work ethic. I also learned a few things about cleaning printers and setting up files and papers for important meetings and social events. I also got to deliver mail to doctors.
Pros
The building had a cafeteria
Cons
The area has minimal street parking
It is all about the children as it should be.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago AvenueSeptember 1, 2018
Senior management are pretty much all two-faced. Very disheartening. Short staffed and even after all the statistics you are refused to hire the staff needed to do the job. Smoke and mirrors. I am not a nurse but the nursing staff are awesome and almost all physicians are wonderful also. Only a few think they are too good to associate with you.
Pros
Working at a children’s hospital is a great experience
Cons
Low pay for area and two-faced senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight