Anne Arundel County, MD Employee Reviews

Family-work balance
Deputy State's Attorney (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 27, 2018
Working for the citizens; good work environment. Room for growth and competitive benefits packages available. Parking is included. Training opportunities plentiful.
Creativity and job satisfaction
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 4, 2018
Management was inclusive..all employees provided their input with creative ideas and they were given the independence to make them happen to best serve the citizens. A typical day was of my own making as far as projects were concerned to get the job done, as they could be handled while doing required tasks such as answering the phone, assisting citizens, scheduling, communicating with my superiors and co-workers, producing required correspondence, and handling daily mail.
Pros
Great benefits
Stable work environment; limited pay and advancement opportunities
DPW Supervisor (non-represented) (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 29, 2018
Better than average benefits including paid time off, health, and retirement. Stable work environment; limited pay and advancement opportunities. Hard work, dedication, innovation that exceed job requirements are not adequately rewarded via promotion and salary increase.
Opportunity to gain experience in range of Environmental Aspects
Licensed Environmental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 21, 2018
Though your job will be focused in one particular area usually, there are many trainings and certifications offered to gain more experience. Serving the public means you want to be able to schedule your time well so you can arrive at all meetings you have scheduled to assist them properly. Depending on who your supervisor is, it can be an amazing workplace or one driven by a supervisor with only a goal oriented mindset. My supervisor was the best one I've had in my life. She really made the job what it was, as well as the people on your level you get to work with.
Pros
Paid time off, paid holidays, great insurance, drive a county car during work.
Cons
The higher-up management
education and experience did not matter when it came to promotion
Child care Teacher, Child care aide, Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 12, 2018
I had to work hard to cover those not doing their job, no opportunity for career advancement, left the field of working in education due this organization
Pros
working with kids
Cons
no chance for career advancement
Would not recommend
Computer Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 18, 2018
First of all, they show very little respect nor empathy. There is virtually no room to go, especially in IT. Very unhappy working here. I would not recommend whatsoever. They hire managers who have very little knowledge and have a hard time bridging the gap between IT and business. They tout "teamwork" but never actually put it into practice. Human Resources was the worst Iv'e ever seen and the only other option is to go above them, which was even worse.
Pros
Jack of all trades. Learned a LOT of new tech.
Cons
It was government. No money for anything. Very poor management. No room to grow.
A wonderful experience that I miss every day
Child Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 23, 2018
I worked in the School Age Child Care (SACC) program. The other staff members were friendly, the management was always helpful, and the pay was pretty good for part-time work. Working with the kids was always a pleasure. If I could have made a living doing it, I never would have left.
Productive Place to work.
Park Operations (Former Employee) –  Millersville, MDJuly 3, 2018
Although it may be a productive place to work it can be very competitive on advancement. Favoritism plays a part in it. It has a high turnover ratio due to the lack of advancement.
Aaco
Police Officer(Corporal) (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDJanuary 27, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my 20 Year Career with the Anne Arundel County, Police Department and if I had not been injured in the Line of Duty I would probably still be working there.
Fun summer place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 11, 2019
The versatility to do different activities with the children kept the job interesting, loved being outdoors, great co-workers, questionable management.
Anne Arundel County Public Schools - Ball of Confusion
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elementary Schools throughout Anne Arundel CountySeptember 18, 2018
Teaching in AACPS is for some people, but it was not for me. You are given the curriculum and expected to teach exactly that. At least in my experience, there was no room to add any personal creativity to the lessons. During observations you can literally find lessons online, use those lessons, and get a good review. In my opinion, that is more acting than teaching and I wanted to teach.
Pros
Summers and Weekends off, Access to Curriculum, Health Care
Cons
Lack of cohesion and understanding of policies, The amount of work you must do at home that you do not get paid for
Great Place but not much room for advancement
Office Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Severn, MDJanuary 26, 2018
This is a great county to work for, one of the best benefits packages than most counties. The pay is less than most counties that I have seen that I know of. The downside is there is not much room for advancement unless you have a degree. A high school diploma will keep you at the low man on the totem pole even if you were to fill in for a higher position that was posted you will not get it because you lack a degree. The tuition reimbursement benefit was just removed.
Pros
Lunches, Breaks, Benefits
Cons
No tuition reimbursement, it will take you about 20 years to reach 20.00 an hr.
Okay
Vivitrol Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDSeptember 4, 2018
The department needs ALOT OF WORK. The culture in the department is not a healthy one but the experience is great. The area I am in really helps the community and that part is what I love.
No comment
Registered Peer Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 3, 2018
Anne Arundel County Government has a very diverse place of employment with plenty of opportunities. It will become what you decide to make it. Enjoy scouting yourself.
election clerk
Check in judge (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie Park, MDJuly 1, 2018
Good money for one day of work, but long hours. There was plenty of time for breaks and socializing. The work is not hard at all. I would recommend this job to anyone.
underpaid childcare workers
CHILDCARE EDUCATOR (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDDecember 15, 2018
the kids are great. the schools are great. not enough pay, even after years of being there. plenty of room to advance, but pay difference is not much.
It was a good job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 27, 2018
This job paid well and had many benefits. I enjoyed working there and would reccomend this job to anyone interested in getting into a career in law enforcement.
stressful
Finance (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 10, 2019
the company needs to finds better ways to bust the marole of the employees. Positons needs to be revaluated.....needs to bust cost of living..........
It was a good jon
Administrative Assistant-Administration (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 27, 2018
It was a good job. I was on the job for years before leaving. Excellent benefits! Most were a good group of people to work with. Come in and do your job.
A good place to begin and grow
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 25, 2018
I worked for AACDH several years ago and enjoyed my job. I began working with inmates as a counselor/addictions specialist and got a transfer to working with the drug court program. The job was reasonable and my coworkers were wonderful. I live in Florida now and wish the health department here was like the one in Annapolis!
Pros
Ability to transfer and advance
Cons
Less variety of responsibilities than I like