Anne Arundel County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great place to work
FOOD SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Arnold, MDJuly 26, 2018
I had a great team of ladies to work with, this job isn't for everyone, its fast paced, sweaty. pay was decent but couldn't afford the short shifts. great for a stay at home mom with kids in school. same schedule as kids. get off holidays and weekends.
Pros
good pay, good schedule for moms, get holidays and wknds off
Cons
not enough hours
Not a good place to work for Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 23, 2018
Way too much work for 10 an hour. No benefits no holiday pay. In cases of inclement weather TA don’t get paid but all other staff including custodians get paid. If you are off for winter and thanksgiving and spring break you don’t get paid. This is the only district that does this. And there is no summer pay. AACPS is a good place to work if you are not a TA.
Pros
Mon-Friday and off by 2:40
Cons
Everything else
It has its ups and down
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Gambrills, MDJuly 16, 2018
AACPS is great when it comes to benefits but if you want to do something that'll bring you happiness, please find out what you love to do and pursue it.
Be aware of where you are teaching
7th grade language arts teacher (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401July 5, 2018
Prior to working at this district I had heard only positive information about AACPS. The location where I worked was extremely stressful and the politics were difficult to figure out and work through. Mixed messages about roles and responsibilities caused a lot of stress. Required participation in activities after school hours also made it difficult to manage work/life balance.

Not sure what the focus of the district is for anything other than the top performing schools in the district.
Pros
Cons
See Review
Reason they fired
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MDJune 30, 2018
was fired cause i wasn't taking my 30 min in two 15 min on the times they wanted i was a custodian work 2pm to 1030pm then 2pm to 1230am basic working with out having time to enough my life
Pros
no supervisor
Great Team to work with
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, MDJune 29, 2018
I work with level 5 students although I find it very rewarding there may be others that are not cut out for this position. I enjoy working with the children. They keep me on my toes and make me laugh because it's always something new with them.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
Can be stressful you have to be cut out for this job if not it's not the job for you.
Yes. we do have fun there. the kids are great.
MD. Substitute Teaching (Current Employee) –  Annapollis, MD.June 22, 2018
This is a place where learning takes place. It basically deals with
discipline and order. In order for learning to take place you have to first maintain discipline.
Pros
Yes. they are free lunches
Cons
Not much time to play outside.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher, Anne Arundel County (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, MDJune 20, 2018
I worked as a substitute teacher for a year. It was rewarding work but difficult to maintain the last minute nature of the job. The school was pleasant to work in.
Excellent workplace with great kids and teachers
Long-term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDJune 12, 2018
As a part-time sub, I traveled up and down the county to serve in different high schools. I enjoyed the variety and diversity, and enjoyed getting to know the students and staff; I felt welcome and sought after. As a full-time long-term sub, I got to do real teaching and developed authentic connections with students and colleagues. The best part of any assignment was, of course, the kids, even when discipline and classroom management was challenging, and the hardest part was leaving a long-term assignment.
Pros
Relationships with students and staff
Cons
Low pay and limited leave opportunities
Very busy, productive and multi tasking
Elementary School Enrollment Secretary (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 29, 2018
Great interactions, building health and positive relationships. Problem solving, being a shoulder, an ear and a listener. Excellent communication and a great work environment.
Pros
a "better together" "it takes a village" mission
Cons
low pay
Sub Teacher
Permanent Sub-Teacher/Coach (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMay 24, 2018
An average day as a sub-teacher can be filled with many different assignments asked to help out wherever needed. I have learned that building relationships is a major factor in the success of working in schools with multiple students. The workplace at times is uneasy because of the power struggles that exist within. The most challenging part is going in unchartered territory and dealing with a different group of students with some who may have challenges that you are unaware of. But the benefit at the end of the day is when I cross the street and go to the high school and see some former middle school students who are grown up. They have matured and are working towards reaching their life goals. Homecoming is always rewarding when many come back as young adults in the world and I see them.
Pros
Hours of work
Cons
Healthcare and pay
Review based on specific schools
Special Educator (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDMay 20, 2018
Two out of three Department Chairs that I worked under were unsupportive and difficut to approach. I frequently heard, "we don't do that here." The main expectation of special educators seems to be completing paperwork while teaching assistants handle the bulk of the instruction. Case loads are large for teachers and related service providers.
Not bad
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 18, 2018
Worked independently and turned in worksheets once completed. Easy to get paid for work with minimal back and forth. Filling out this form required more effort.
L had fun when teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Overlook, MDMay 17, 2018
I enjoyed working with all the elementary kids in the public school.L enjoyed working with special needs children on one on one or a minimum group of four kids. I also enjoyed working with teachers because most of them worked as a team and they loved their students.
Pros
There was no free lunch and l will do something about this management.
Cons
I had short breaks between my schedules.
Temporary Position
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDMay 16, 2018
This has been a temporary position while I complete my M.A. degree, and overall it has been fine. It is easy to find assignments, and I have made some great connections with school staff. Rarely I might find a school that does not have materials prepared, give little instruction, and then have high expectations, but overall I do not have many problems with the schools I substitute for.
Hard work but great benefits
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDMay 8, 2018
Overall my time with Anne arundel County Public Schools consisted of 12 hours a day it was a job and had great benefits as well as room for advancement but you had to have been their for a substantial amount of time to do so, as i stated before the benefits were great
Pros
overtime
Areas understaffed. Over crowded classrooms. Security????
MD (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 6, 2018
Very fast paced office. If one person doesn't carry their load its almost impossible to get rid of them. Expected to be security. That should be the job of someone with more experience and pay. How can we do our job and be security as well? After all these school shootings I'd think more would be done but I don't see any change. We have not even had an intruder drill. Too much room for error. Students, they have too much power abd they know it. No discipline. Its a nunbers game
Pros
We work in the summer but its quiet.
Cons
Do your research of the school first. Some schools have toxic unfriendly atmosphere.
Stressful
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MDMay 5, 2018
Get to work around 6:30 and I don't leave until 4.
Never enough time to plan and grade at school so work is often brought home.
Many discipline problems and not enough support staff.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Great environment with amazing co-workers
Kindergarten Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, MDMay 4, 2018
It was a joy to work at Central Elementary as part of the Anne Arundel County Public School System. Friendly staff, cooperative/ supportive parents. This was a great place to work for 11 years. If I had not moved I would still work there.
Pros
Friendly staff
janitoral
Teacher Aide, janitorial service (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401April 30, 2018
my job including wash down classroom desk, cleaning walls, bathroom , teacher desk, charkboards, empty trash, organizating classroom for testing , wash and wax floor ,