Anne Arundel Medical Center Employee Reviews

well being
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gambrills, MDAugust 10, 2018
At AAMC, employees are encouraged to participate in wellbeing surveys and activities to promote better working environments, however, fiscal bonuses are sparce, and the pay for my certification is low.
Pros
good work place environment
Cons
pay
AAMC Review
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDAugust 6, 2018
I never really got a chance to put my knowledge to use and get my self going in the direction that was needed to fulfill my duties. For the past 3 months, I was learning the fixed asset system and never really got into anything else while at the hospital.
Great Place to Work!
HR Professional (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 31, 2018
Great employees, good benefits, workplace culture is very autonomous, plenty of opportunities to grow within the organization and advance, expanding their diversity
Pros
opportunities to grow/advance, increasing diversity
Great place to work if starting career
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 19, 2018
Depending on your boss, your typical workday could be hellish; enjoyable part of the work day is the relationship with colleagues; hardest part of the job is more work with lesser resources
Stable company with incentive events
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 19, 2018
A fair place to work, little advancement opportunities. But well managed and good conditions. Numerous (monthly) meetings to up date information and share ideas.
Pros
work atmosphere
Cons
Little advancement
Started great, ended terrible
nurse (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 18, 2018
AAHS was a quality employer 10 years ago. The new management structure has staff running for the hills. Perhaps a portion of the change is a new management methodology and growing pains, but employee satisfaction, retention, and relations have dropped well below industry standards.
As long as you remain healthy good place to work for
Lead Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 18, 2018
Every department management is different and with my experience the supervisor spent more time online shopping and having personal conversations then working. Did not show equal respect to staff. Did not show leadership or proper training. Show favoritism to certain staff when it came to disciplinary actions. Ct x
No room for advancement
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 15, 2018
Not willing to cross-train employees wanting to transfer within the hospital. Management on my unit micromanages staff and does not let staff know when they are doing good.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks & interrupted lunch breaks.
Stay away from environmenta services!!
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 2, 2018
Management in that department is way to strict. Being an entry-level department you would think that management would encourage you to grow and move forward. Nope! Not them. They down talk you behind your back, and write you up as soon as they find out that you've applied for other departments. If things aren't right, they won't have a meeting with you to correct the situation. Instead they'll talk about you behind your back to other employees who can't hold water. The night supervisor has a ton of complaints against her and yet she's still there. Anybody that joins her shift doesn't last past a month. She doesn't know how to talk to you and she's loud and rude to other employees in other departments. She exaggerates everything and shows favoritism.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
Management is horrible, No employee discounts for meals, Meal tickets are only given to specific employees, People do not last long in that department, Employees are not notified of any changes.
Nice place to work
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 29, 2018
I met some really great people at this location. I can't speak too much to the benefits because I was contracted in. However, the system that is in place to run the OR is pretty solid and it flows well most of the time. The staff is adequately trained and are mission focused.
Educational and Fulfilling kinds of work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 25, 2018
I got to meet interesting doctors and nurses that do their best in all circumstances.

Hospitals are both educational and fulfilling place to work at.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Not a whole lot of diversity
Opportunity
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 21, 2018
Provides diverse environment for learning, gives one the opportunity to experience skills at a fast pace or in a controlled setting. Offers career ladder advancement, always up to date with IS which is always helpful in solving technical issues.
Pros
Close by
Cons
Not great health benefits, job changes with short notice to staff involved
Enjoyed working here
PATIENT HEALTHCARE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at this hospital. I would’ve still been working here but I decided to try working in a different specialization then what I was originally working on at AAMC.
IT department. It's a job.
EMR Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 14, 2018
Sub-par compensation and benefits compared to the other hospitals in the hospital. Advancement opportunities exist for clinicians only and not other departments like IT. Upper management is rather poor. The workplace culture is not ideal.

Parking is free and hours are flexible. Coworkers are great.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low wages, no advancement opportunities, poor upper management
Open to suggestions
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 6, 2018
They are very motivated to help you advance your career. They will go as far as bonuses for extra classes or certificates you receive or even paid tuition.
Employees
Sterile Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 4, 2018
The department that I supervised, everyone treated each other more like family than coworkers and that's what I loved most about my job. The hardest part of my job, was actually when I had to put in my 2 week notice. I really miss working there.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Outreach Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 31, 2018
Great place to work and great team to work with. Everyone here is a great asset and very helpful.The only reason I would leave this company is if I had to relocate.
Horrible managment/poor training
Orthopedic Patient Care Coor /Medical Sec. (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 27, 2018
My experience working as an orthopedic customer service representative in the Orthopedic Sports Medicine Department as a medical secretary was absolutely horrendous! The management is very lacking and professionalism, communication, training, and up most the most important thing respect is completely lacking in this department. Everything from Senior Management to lower level management is poor. Even with the great health care benefits and discounts in the cafeteria and the store, it doesn't excuse the behaviors of management. Unfortunately, they are a lot of favorites in the department. There is no way that I would ever recommend this job for anyone. There is absolutely no I repeat no, life and work balance. You are expected answer the phones, schedule patients, check insurance, be a personal secretary for the doctor in which you work with, go to several different locations meaning all of them on any given day. Also, the worst part of it all outside of the lack of respect is that you will not get your schedule until the Friday prior to starting work on Monday. This is repetitive! You have been warned.
Pros
Below zero
Cons
Lack of training, poor managment, no life balance
Great place to work!
Heart & Vascular Nurse (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 24, 2018
AAMC is a great place to work, wonderful team work with coworkers and team unity. Management changed 3 times over my tenure at AAMC. The management of the unit directly impacts the job. Some were great, some were not!
Pros
Team unity, pay
Cons
some management types were not strong.
Management is untrained and ineffective.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Main hospitalMay 22, 2018
It’s a good place to start your nursing career but don’t stay long. Upper Management doesn’t support staff or do much to improve working conditions. Supposed to have more summer time off after several years of service but it is denied due to “ not enough staff”. Lots of favoritism. Don’t always have easy access to supplies needed to do your job. Human Resources supports management more than nursing staff. No real attempts to retain staff. Lots of turnover
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor management. Poor HR support of staff.