Anne Arundel Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stay away from environmenta services!!
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 2, 2018
Management in that department is way to strict. Being an entry-level department you would think that management would encourage you to grow and move forward. Nope! Not them. They down talk you behind your back, and write you up as soon as they find out that you've applied for other departments. If things aren't right, they won't have a meeting with you to correct the situation. Instead they'll talk about you behind your back to other employees who can't hold water. The night supervisor has a ton of complaints against her and yet she's still there. Anybody that joins her shift doesn't last past a month. She doesn't know how to talk to you and she's loud and rude to other employees in other departments. She exaggerates everything and shows favoritism.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
Management is horrible, No employee discounts for meals, Meal tickets are only given to specific employees, People do not last long in that department, Employees are not notified of any changes.
Nice place to work
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 29, 2018
I met some really great people at this location. I can't speak too much to the benefits because I was contracted in. However, the system that is in place to run the OR is pretty solid and it flows well most of the time. The staff is adequately trained and are mission focused.
Educational and Fulfilling kinds of work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 25, 2018
I got to meet interesting doctors and nurses that do their best in all circumstances.

Hospitals are both educational and fulfilling place to work at.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Not a whole lot of diversity
Opportunity
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 21, 2018
Provides diverse environment for learning, gives one the opportunity to experience skills at a fast pace or in a controlled setting. Offers career ladder advancement, always up to date with IS which is always helpful in solving technical issues.
Pros
Close by
Cons
Not great health benefits, job changes with short notice to staff involved
Enjoyed working here
PATIENT HEALTHCARE TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at this hospital. I would’ve still been working here but I decided to try working in a different specialization then what I was originally working on at AAMC.
IT department. It's a job.
EMR Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 14, 2018
Sub-par compensation and benefits compared to the other hospitals in the hospital. Advancement opportunities exist for clinicians only and not other departments like IT. Upper management is rather poor. The workplace culture is not ideal.

Parking is free and hours are flexible. Coworkers are great.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low wages, no advancement opportunities, poor upper management
Open to suggestions
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 6, 2018
They are very motivated to help you advance your career. They will go as far as bonuses for extra classes or certificates you receive or even paid tuition.
Employees
Sterile Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 4, 2018
The department that I supervised, everyone treated each other more like family than coworkers and that's what I loved most about my job. The hardest part of my job, was actually when I had to put in my 2 week notice. I really miss working there.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Outreach Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 31, 2018
Great place to work and great team to work with. Everyone here is a great asset and very helpful.The only reason I would leave this company is if I had to relocate.
Horrible managment/poor training
Orthopedic Patient Care Coor /Medical Sec. (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 27, 2018
My experience working as an orthopedic customer service representative in the Orthopedic Sports Medicine Department as a medical secretary was absolutely horrendous! The management is very lacking and professionalism, communication, training, and up most the most important thing respect is completely lacking in this department. Everything from Senior Management to lower level management is poor. Even with the great health care benefits and discounts in the cafeteria and the store, it doesn't excuse the behaviors of management. Unfortunately, they are a lot of favorites in the department. There is no way that I would ever recommend this job for anyone. There is absolutely no I repeat no, life and work balance. You are expected answer the phones, schedule patients, check insurance, be a personal secretary for the doctor in which you work with, go to several different locations meaning all of them on any given day. Also, the worst part of it all outside of the lack of respect is that you will not get your schedule until the Friday prior to starting work on Monday. This is repetitive! You have been warned.
Pros
Below zero
Cons
Lack of training, poor managment, no life balance
Great place to work!
Heart & Vascular Nurse (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 24, 2018
AAMC is a great place to work, wonderful team work with coworkers and team unity. Management changed 3 times over my tenure at AAMC. The management of the unit directly impacts the job. Some were great, some were not!
Pros
Team unity, pay
Cons
some management types were not strong.
Management is untrained and ineffective.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Main hospitalMay 22, 2018
It’s a good place to start your nursing career but don’t stay long. Upper Management doesn’t support staff or do much to improve working conditions. Supposed to have more summer time off after several years of service but it is denied due to “ not enough staff”. Lots of favoritism. Don’t always have easy access to supplies needed to do your job. Human Resources supports management more than nursing staff. No real attempts to retain staff. Lots of turnover
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor management. Poor HR support of staff.
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 21, 2018
wonderful community hospital to work and truly care for our community. Great leadership and work environment to learn, grow and have a good work life balance
A fast paced and very productive place to work.
Emergency room Technician (Former Employee) –  2001 Medical Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401May 21, 2018
Anne Arundel Medical Center was an excellent place to work.
It is very supportive of families, and makes working there very therapeutic. The employees there truly care about each other, which increases the family atmosphere and ease to work there.
Management made it easy for the staff to accomplish their goals, and be able to advance in their career. It was my family away from my home.
Pros
We received frequent free coupons for lunches or dinner.
Anne Arundel Medical Center
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 16, 2018
I thought this was a great organization and I enjoyed my time working here. The workplace culture was great news letters were sent out daily, meetings within the immediate workplace also occurred each morning.
most staff are loving people willing to go the extra mile to help
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  annapolis marylandMay 15, 2018
I met some very nice women at AAMC. Nurse educator is very knowledgable and willing to work with you to get you up to speed any type of medical disease/nursing process.

Management on the floor I worked, had too many private little personal relationships with staff nurses, which led to prioritizing and giving special treatment. Very unprofessional. I'm not saying the entire hospital is like this, just the floor I worked on.
Pros
clean, healthy atmosphere
Cons
no time for lunch
Supportive Work Place
Pre-Medical Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 14, 2018
Helped you learn as much as you can and expand your thought processes and knowledge. The directors were very easy to talk to and approachable if you had any questions.
Large company, lots of opportunity
Treatment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 10, 2018
Anne Arundel Medical Center is a regionally known employer, with many opportunities for growth and advancement. Medical professionals are paid well, and the benefits are good for long term employees.
Positive work Environment
Behavioral Health Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 8, 2018
The ER staff in the lock Behavioral unit are all great. Family oriented atmosphere. Everyone works collaboratively ensuring that patients needs are met first and foremost.
Staff Nurse/Relief Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 8, 2018
A typical workday usually starts with a patient assignment or assignment to Charge RN. AAMC implemented the RN bedside shift report which happens at each change of shift. The rest of the 12-hour shift is filled with caring for patients and charting. I was given autonomy in choosing when to take my break so long as other staff members cover the floor.

This job taught me how to improve communication and take on more leadership responsibilities.

The culture of AAMC is to lend a helping hand to your coworkers and any visitors. Most employees are open and welcoming although there are some that make the work environment challenging to navigate.

The best part of the job is when I can sit and talk with a patient and make a tangible difference in their life. AAMC strongly encourages the staff to sit with patients during communication.
Pros
New graduate RN residency program, 30 minute uninterrupted break, free continuing education courses and seminars, smoke free environment
Cons
Decreasing benefits, minimal raises and bonuses