Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 3,276 reviews matching the search See all 3,325 reviews
Competative and great to work for.
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 16, 2018
Anthem is a great company to work for with great benefits, working Monday thru Friday and all major holidays off. It is competitive and the promote from within.
Anthem
Front End Developer (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHOctober 16, 2018
Best job I have ever had. The people are great and treat each other great. Lots of activities going on for everyone. Management lest you do your job and removes roadblocks.
Fun Place to work
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTOctober 16, 2018
Anthem gave me the opportunity for career advancement, learning opportunities as well as tuition reimbursement. The support and encouragement was a plus.
Best work place
Senior Pega CSSA Developer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 16, 2018
Great team collaboration with great work culture, learned new modules in the technology that helps in career growth, enjoyed each and every phase at Anthem.
You want each person to do over 100 cases a day
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAOctober 15, 2018
You want each person to do over 100 cases a day but the pay is no where near acceptable they call claim processing a entry level job but news flash if it is considered back office work than it isnt.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 15, 2018
Great benefits, exceptional training, and great support from management. This is a high stress level place to work, however well worth it. Unfortunately, along with the commute, the stress of position was too much.
Pros
lunch room area, great benefits
Cons
high stress
Call Center
Provider Service Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 15, 2018
Managers are great, but very large scope of work. 30 lunch break and they are not flexible when it comes to schedule. A lot of opportunities, but very competitive.
Stock Price Focused
Director (Current Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 14, 2018
Executive management cares only about growth and meeting earnings targets to get the stock price rising. In company town halls the CFO will comment of the stock price movement during the meeting. They do not care about employees - all are replaceable in management's view.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
culture
The Fall of Anthem/Amerigroup
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 14, 2018
I was hired at Anthem Insurance for the Amerigroup division in Overland Park, KS. The job was your typical customer service position helping out Medicaid members with their problems. From the moment I interviewed for this job, I like many others were either lied too or had the truth hidden from us.

I interviewed for the job in April of 2018. During the interview the two managers advised me the department would grow. So much so that it was hinted they would hire more people in the fall of that year after my training class was done and integrated fully into the job. That was the first lie.

What they didn't tell me is that at the moment of the interview, Amerigroup was in the process of bidding with three other companies for the Health Care Organizer status for Kan Care. The medicaid program for the state of Kansas. Later talking to other employe's who were there for over a year, no one knew of this until the hammer came down. More on that later.

Another lie during the interview was there were a lot of chances for advancement. But later when hired, during the training class we were told 85 percent of the non customer service jobs were clinical. Meaning unless you had experience in the clinical field or were a nurse, you had no shot at getting one of those jobs. You were stuck in customer service.

In mid-July word came that Kan Care choose not to accept Amerigroups HCO bid and by the end of the year we would all be without a job. The news came out of nowhere because no one knew. Other representatives, some who have been there for years didn't know here was a chance
  more... our jobs would go away. They were never told of the bidding and later the protest process. And that is one of the main complaints with Anthem/Amerigroup. The lack of transparency.

Since the Kan Care announcement and Amerigroups lawsuit of the state of Kansas came down customer service has been completely in the dark. We have had multiple town hall meeting about the lawsuit and the future of our jobs that no one from our department can go to. Well no one other then managers. Because we have to be on the phones were not allowed to go even though everyone else in other departments can. The only word we get is an occasional email from the head of the division.

Since the announcement, slowly but surely more and more people have left. In the start of October out of nowhere my direct supervisor and team lead left without telling anyone.

This has been a very frustrating journey with Amerigroup. Since the department will be gone by December I wanted to warn others that what we went though might not be an isolated incident. And could be how Anthem/Amerigroup normally does business. Please beware before you accept the job.
Pros
Easy in and out access to the highway, Cafe in the building, eating options around the building, plenty of parking and newer building.
Cons
Pay is low, no transparency in the company, was lied too during the interview, no advancement, forced shift bid, and other departments didn't want to help you out with anything.
customer service
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP, OPTUM (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 12, 2018
good company to start off with when you are in between jobs but there are people employed at this company from all walk of life and it can be a little getto at times.
Not the best place to work
Developer III (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 11, 2018
Anthem is very demanding and competitive. They expect their developers to spend a large amount of personal time to train. They allow very little time for on the job training.

Their desktop support is very poor. Developer computers are not imaged with the tools needed, such as Visual Studio, and it is a very difficult process to acquire the necessary software from them.

Anthem has a lengthy and complex close-out procedure. This involves a manual process of sending several emails to the home office and other developers each time a task is completed.
Cons
Very bad work/life balance, complex proceedures, too many meetings.
All In All
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 11, 2018
Very Great Job So Kick Start A Career There Is Plenty Of Room To Move Up And Around In The Company They Offer Plenty Of Benefits Free Of Cost And Are Very Friendly and Understanding
Great stepping stone to build skills
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 8, 2018
This is a great company to use as a stepping stone to build your skills. They are always hiring; however, there is not much advancement in certain IT departments. You are expected to work long hours including weekends and vacation.
Management is not the best and really does not encourage job growth.
Job security is good for now. However, because the company has been hiring so many people, I question what the future holds. I think the company will be in layoff mode in the next 3-5 years as I am certain all of this hiring has surpassed the operating budget.
Pros
Good benefits, training, culturally diverse
Cons
Lack of advancement, no sick days, poor management
My department was great to work for
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 8, 2018
My boss retired after 48 yrs. I miss my job and boss. I loved working for Auditing our team was located in 14 states which I was admin to the whole team. we had a strong code of ethics and conduct. I was always able to discuss matters with my Director.
unappreciated
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 7, 2018
management takes advantage if they see the opportunity . politics and favoritism dont allow you to shine. you're treated and paid better if your family works there
Anthem
Senior Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHOctober 6, 2018
Good work life balance Work at home opportunities
Great training culture & bonus structure
Management is well trained and supports the companies mission
The company is has completely changed the larger they got
Grievances & Appeals Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHOctober 6, 2018
The company is has completely changed the larger they got. They lost site of the employees. It is no longer about the employees and how to better do their jobs.
it was fun
anthem (Current Employee) –  District of ColumbiaOctober 5, 2018
we get to listen to the artist perform, and even get to cater to them also. we have alot of responsibilities such as cleaning, dish washing, popcorn stand, preping food such as sandwiches, kielbasas,
Great Company
PAA II/Provider B rep (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2018
Love to work at Anthem
Everything is great and no negative words to say about the company.
It is a great company for family and single parent homes to work for.
Pros
Team Company
Cons
n/a
Was ok
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAOctober 4, 2018
It was very micro managed. Rules became very very strict as time went on. Your evaluated on every single call. Not allowed to leave your desk, unless you notifed management. and half the timethry could not be found.
Pros
Medical benefits paid time off anf holidays off
Cons
Could be more understanding with restroom breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anthem, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.1K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight