Anthropologie Employee Reviews

Company in transition
Visual Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 17, 2018
While I returned to Anthropologie with a specific career path in mind, the company made some drastic changes. With these changes, the management roles shifted and the visual positions almost halved. I am all for change, I believe it's necessary in order to stay relevant, but their lack of communication has completely turned me off of the company. My position was a steady M-F 7a-4p position, but with these changes I now work mids periodically, and a handful of weekends throughout the month. There is also no visual path within the company; once you've become the Visual Merchandising Manager there is no promotion (unless you decide you want to become a store manager). There is also very little concern for a healthy work-life balance. Corporate says there is, but you're expected to do anything your manager asks of you, no matter how it affects your personal life.
Pros
discount
Cons
management, lack of communication, maturity of management
A great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 13, 2018
Anthropologie is a really fun place to work. I really got along with my coworkers and the manager is super nice and understanding. It gets pretty busy during seasonal times and the customers can be very demanding. A lot is expected of the sales associate and I believe they should pay more. But generally it was a great place to work.
Good store environment
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Fun and fast - paced retail space, good store environment. Worked with Urban Outfitters previously, very similar in attitude and overall collaboration with store teams.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDApril 9, 2018
I love the people that work here. From my coworkers to the customers I always had an enjoyable experience and even made friends. Highly recommend working here.
Pros
People, work ethic, hard work, continued excellence
Cons
Short Breaks
Fun place to work!
Sales Associate/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 3, 2018
Anthro is such a fun place to work. The people you work with really start to feel like family. The pay isn't great, but the discount is totally worth it and they're great at accommodating a busy schedule if you have another full-time job or are in school.
Anthropologie Review
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 3, 2018
I worked as a part-time sales associate. It was an easy enough job and a nice working environment. A lot of the job is just figuring things out on your own, which is fine, but some other associates found this frustrating.
typical retail
Visual Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMarch 30, 2018
Anthropologie is just another typical retail sales job. The environment is a little bit more unique and exciting to work in because the whole company is based on following trends. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers and creating an experience for them where they left happy with their purchases. The hardest part of the job was working terrible retail hours and feeling underpaid for my efforts. There is a lot of turnover in management and they do not typically promote from within so there is a constant flow of new managers who know nothing about the company trying to manage a mix of new people who know nothing about the company and more seasoned people who are frustrated with the turnover in management.
Pros
discounts
Cons
pay, hours, flexibility
Relaxing place to work but hard to move up
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at Anthropologie for what it was. The discount was great. My problems came when a new manager was hired externally. She did not know how to run a retail store. She was nice enough but did not like any kind of confrontation so she lied and avoided issues in order not to discuss them. When I had a major personal issue happen in my life I got not so much as a condolence email or phone call. Several long term employees complained to headquarters about her and nothing was done so many of them quit or transferred to another store. My previous manager had begun helping me move to a better position within the company and was supportive, but when she got another job that all went out the window. Anthropologie needs to do more to support the staff and help internal employees move up.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours, not honest to employees about advancement opportunities
Fun place to work part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Anthropologie. I learned how to advise customers and make a sale without being too pushy. Our management was great, though sometimes I was too intimidated to talk to my managers. The workplace culture was alright, though often got the feeling people didn't always want to be there. The hardest part for me was closing. Like in all retail jobs we had to make sure every clothing item was perfectly hung, stacked, or displayed. Sometimes our closes took up to two hours and I wouldn't leave until after midnight. But it was fun coming in to work and seeing friends and I enjoyed being inspired by unique and beautiful fashion all around me.
Pros
Discounts, fashion inspiration
Cons
Short breaks, closes
Anthropologie
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2018
The space is very beautiful and nice environment to work in
Management is organized but a couple of the managers are a little passive aggressive which makes a confusing work environment
Incredible fast paced and lovely work environment
Customer Associate (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJMarch 13, 2018
I truly have never enjoyed a job more than working at Anthropologie! Every coworker was delightful and always warm and welcoming. Customers are very nice and value employee opinions a lot!
Great Store, Typical Corporation
Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 12, 2018
Working for my store location is great. Management and associates work together extremely well and makes the job a lot less stressful. It's a creative environment and the women all support each other.
Pros
Discount
Cons
retail hours
Great work environment, great attitude! Very fun but also efficiently completed work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, NJMarch 6, 2018
I enjoyed working with customers and helping recreate looks and wardrobes. I loved personal shopping which was not something I professionally ever did.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Anthropology
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2018
Awesome store great management, but retail is retail. Nothing exciting to come into everyday but overall it was a very nice experience and I made great friends along the way.
no opportunities for growth
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2018
My experience at Anthropologie left a lot to be desired. I had a store manager who thought I was fabulous and wanted to help me grow with the company, as did the rest of management. But he was let go and all that went out the window. His replacement was bitter and cruel and refused to make time for my growth and the rest of management followed suit. Anther culture is made up of fear and frustration and crying in your car on the way home.
Overall
Senior Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2018
Working here you really do it all but it's such a great way to learn the whole business inside and out. If you're not about doing handwork than this position isn't right for you. Overall it is a great company to work for they make it fun and interesting they do care about their employees.
I loved the discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2018
The discount for this job really made it worth it. This was my first job and it taught me lot but I would never work there for a full time job. I felt under appreciated as a staff member but did love my job at times.
Decent job if you really love the brand
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2018
It comes as no surprise that working at Anthropologie has its pros and its cons. If you love the brand and fashion then by all means, pursue employment here, but if you're just looking for a temporary retail job you may find yourself frustrated and annoyed by the elitism and fakeness that goes on there.
must fit the culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTFebruary 14, 2018
you must fit a certain look and understand the anthropologie culture in order to succeed. Hard work sometimes pays off, but its more about who thinks you are trendy enough to shine.
Overall good college job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 12, 2018
It is fast-paced, and fun environment with the right co-workers. It is a female dominated workforce. The customers have a tendency to be rude due to their wealth. Overall it is not a bad place to work but it can be taxing in the long term.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Rude, wealthy customers, some drama in workplace, stressful