Anthropologie Employee Reviews

Great experience overall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2019
Most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to connect with customers and help them in an amazing environment. I also loved everyone I worked with.
Pros
snacks in the break room
Overwhelming work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 19, 2019
Although Anthropologie is a favorite for many people, I found it very overwhelming as the store was so huge and disorganized as it had just opened recently.
One of The Most Stressful Jobs I've Had
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Unfortunately, there were many cons working at Anthropologie. I worked as a supervisor on the third street promenade in Santa Monica for 6 months and it was one of the most mentally and physically taxing and stressful jobs I’ve had.

Outside of the high volume bustle and laborious tasks required (I hardly ever took a ten minute break in a 8/9 hour shift), I experienced a lot of unnecessary and unusual things:
Upper management would change my timecard without communicating to me about it and when I brought it up to the Store Brand Leader or General Manager it took a long time for her to come to a solution. It was simply a slap on the wrist for whoever had changed my timecard, which is illegal and unethical and on top of that chastised me for going into overtime. Mind you, this position demanded so much it was inevitable to go into OT.
The worst of my experience was when I was assaulted by a homeless man stealing in our store. Anthropologie was generally caring about this but I don’t know if it was genuine, honestly and it was probably only because I voiced my concern. I took time off because of it and they used my existing PTO for compensation. If anything, the part time associates were more sympathetic than upper management about the incident.
Considering that there were other cases of homeless people assaulting Santa Monica employees, including stabbings you would think Anthropologie would have the sense and decency to have a security guard. Nope, because of my incident they had a security guard for only 1 week.

After that, I tried to transfer to another location.
  more... I had to interview at two other stores only to be rejected. It was insulting when the SBL for Beverly Hills said she would call me back to let me know her answer and did not. After waiting a couple of days after, I called her a few times on different occasions; I was redirected to someone else, was put on hold (no one ever checked in) or was told she would call back-she never did. Finally, I contacted my new SBL, who seemed helpful and nice initially and tells me, “The Beverly Hills SBL went with another candidate” that was all. The lack of decency, regard and professionalism from a majority of managers and associates from this company, namely, Santa Monica is astounding. It’s disappointing and shameful too. That doesn’t include my general interactions with a lot of people there. To put it frankly, a lot of the people there were like Mean Girls. That’s not to say they weren’t nice at times but it was outweighed by their crassness and was it genuine? Whether it was personal or not, I treated everyone with the utmost respect, professionalism and kindness. I was new to not only the company but to apparel retail and the supervisor position was a whole other animal. I was learning and it took me a while to get certain things and I asked a lot of questions. That was my guess as to why these people were so impatient and at times rude, cruel and mean. Working there was stressful but I still treated everyone with kindness and respect, so why couldn’t they?

My experience with this company was pretty bad. I wish I could say more positive things but I can’t. The apparel and products are beautiful but overpriced and the employee discount is ok but with Anthropologie, if you wait long enough, everything goes on sale and it’s oftentimes better than the discount.
Ultimately, when I left the company, regrettably I couldn’t give a proper two week notice because I received an amazing offer that paid more and paid for parking. Another thing, as a supervisor they do not cover your parking-you’re forced to pay up to $25 a day in Santa Monica or walk 20 minutes into the residential area and look for parking. Sometimes when closing late at night (store closes at 9 usually but you get out at 11-12) it was precarious. That, of course added to the stress.
The company that reached out to me was a better option all around. At that time, I had made plans to go out of town months in advance for my boyfriend’s sister’s wedding and could only provide a 10 day notice. Because of this, the SBL made it so I was “unrehireable”

I haven’t mentioned everything that happened while working there but hopefully this is enough to educate and warn anyone reading this. I hope Anthropologie makes the necessary changes and I hope for the current and future employees that it is a happy, healthy and fair place to work. Despite it all, I do wish Anthropologie success and I hope they get it together. If not, they’ll face the deserving demise that a lot of (even better) retailers are as well.
Pros
The pleasant and positive interactions with some of the colleagues and customers
Cons
Short or no breaks, no work-life balance, poor management
Creative learning experience - sudden ending
Display Intern (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJanuary 9, 2019
Being a display intern for Anthropologie was quick-paced and heavy on deadlines. It was sometimes repetitive (painting dowels for a week, folding paper for two weeks, etc.) but overall a very enjoyable experience that taught me a lot about installation and allowed me to help in the creation of some beautiful displays. Management was a toss-up, as the display coordinator I worked under was absolutely lovely, but the store manager often had an attitude. That being said, the sales associates were always friendly and the environment was pretty upbeat. The only major qualm I have is that my internship ended very suddenly when I came in to work one morning. They had hit their budget on the allotted amount of money for my pay and told me that it would be my last day. Apparently I'm not the first intern to experience this, and it's a little disconcerting. Nonetheless, my experience was mostly good and I'd recommend this internship as long as you're willing to work hard, get dirty, and aren't afraid of heights!
Pros
Hour-long lunch, no major dress code, flexible schedule, learning environment
Cons
Early morning, minimum wage, hard deadlines
Work Environment
Display Coordinator (Former Employee) –  BostonJanuary 8, 2019
The work environment at Anthropologie was amazing, I've met many great people such as interns and other coordinators from other locations. My daily routine passed by really quickly, their was always a display to keep me busy which is what was great about the job.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 6, 2019
Anthropologie is great place to work! The perks are great and the labels are unique. Management was flexible and friendly. I especially liked styling out our clientele.
Great company, but schedule was tiring.
HOME DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJanuary 5, 2019
Great company to work for, but the hours are long and tiring. Work/life balance becomes really hard since your schedule is never consistent. Very rare to have 2 days off in a row, most days off where spread out, could end up working 8 or more days in a row between days off. Benefits were great, mangers get a monthly bonus if store performs well. Could offer a more competitive salary, but they are pretty open to you asking for raises.
Pros
Monthly bonuses, benefits, discounts.
Cons
Schedule, hourly pay (not salaried), difficult to take days off, having to work every weekend, and a lot of nights.
store manager at Anthropologie
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJanuary 4, 2019
I have loved working for this brand over the past 9 years. It is a collaborative, friendly and challenging work environment. The only times I have considered leaving were when I felt that my development and career advancement weren't prioritized or taken into consideration for open positions.
Fun Work Environment
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 18, 2018
Anthropologie is a fun work environment with lots of young coworkers who love there job. There is room for growth into management positions. Working with the customers can be stressful.
Fun and energetic
Sales Associate/Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CADecember 15, 2018
Best place to work if you love fashion, art , and culture. The employees really are a family and the projects are so fun. Engaging with customers is made easy by the atmosphere created by the company
Never Work Here
BHLDN SHOP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 4, 2018
Working for this company was the worst experience of my life. There is no training. The management on a store level is absolutely horrible. Customer service inconsistent because of lack of help.
good part time
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
Was fun experience. Managers were alright. The workers were cliques so that made it difficult sometimes. The discounts are amazing. The workers who have been there a while are friendly.
Pros
discounts
Cons
schedule
Visual Sales Associate
Visual Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 24, 2018
Anthropologie is an admirable company with beautiful products and designs and passionate employees. I think that it could offer employees more room to apply their retail skills to home office jobs.
Fun place to work, but not to grow.
Manager in Training (MIT) (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 19, 2018
I currently work here and have loved it for two years! The friendships I have made are priceless and I wouldn't change that for the world. I started as seasonal, and quickly was asked to stay on board for part time then was asked to gain a specialty and it lead to empty promises. I love working her part-time, but unless you can commit fully and want this as a career, I don't advise growing.
Not much to this position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVNovember 15, 2018
If you're looking for a true part-time job. This is it. Management is very involved. The work culture is laid-back. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the cute clothes.
Inspiring and productive workplace
Seasonal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXNovember 12, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Anthropologie because I got to do what I loved every day that I worked. I learned new styling skills for many different types of people.
productive place to work at
Display Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXNovember 12, 2018
worked with design coordinator. will produce in store displays, aid with construction, mixing paints, cutting wood. electrical tools were being used on a daily. as well as aiding customers to find products around the store.
Great workplace
Receiver and Senior Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 7, 2018
Management was ever changing, and would occasionally result into low morale but honestly other than that, I loved working for Anthropologie. Even working during holiday was enjoyable.
Relaxed environment
Visual Merchandising Display Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 4, 2018
Great for a part time job for the discount. Hard to climb up because there are limited high positions. Starting rate sucks so only great for a part time job regardless of experience.
Pros
discounts, hours
Cons
rate
Great discount, thats about it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 16, 2018
I worked at Anthropologie for a little over a year. For what they expect you to do, the pay does not match the job.
We were totally understaffed, so they expected me to cover the dressing room, pop on the register when needed, hang clothes, clean the sale room etc..
Pros
The discount is the only pro.
Cons
Many days I was not offered a break at all, even though I was entitled to one.