AOL Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Review
Program Director, Homepage Ad Sales Ops (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJune 13, 2018
Excellent work environment with smart people working everyday to move the company forward. Many groups within are working toward the same goal, so there's opportunity to learn what others do.
Pros
Teamwork
Great
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2018
this was a great internship because i learn a lot that i didn't know which is the goal right? i learned how to photoshop and hot to work a lot of different gadgets on google
its a job
Retention Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 3, 2018
Try to be positive as much as you can. Be alert of any questions as to issues with systems will have your bonuses taken away so all work you have done can be taken
AOL Feedback
Sr. Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 10, 2018
The majority of my career growth was during my tenure at AOL. It was a fantastic company. Everyday provided new and exciting challenges. You always felt like you were a part of the bigger picture and what you did each day contributed to the companies success. My direct line of management was supportive, gave me challenges that provided me with stretch goals, and also, provided me with opportunities to grow within the company. This was achieved through projects/program/products assigned and coaching/mentoring.

The culture and atmosphere- you worked hard and you played hard. Everyone on the team was energized to drive value, customer satisfaction, and increase revenues. As a result of the above, it was the company I worked for the longest.
Pros
Excellent Salary and Benefits
Cons
Decling business
Great Place to Work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 8, 2018
They joined up with Time Warner and it killed the company. We slowly watched the company die. I stay with them until they laid me off and found another job.
Pros
Great Place to Work, Great CO
Cons
CO sold company to TW and it was thier down fall
Collaborative and Creative
Sales Development Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Great experience working across multiple teams to collaborate on many projects to achieve sales goals. Was given freedom and confidence to ideate and generate my own ideas and bring them to life.
A day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 6, 2018
It was a great atmosphere. The employees were nice and everyone focused on their work. The company was constantly doing events for employees and engaging in their interests.
Good
externship (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 24, 2018
Externship, not really an employee. I just did spreadsheets and helped out around the office. Good work environment, clean, nice people. Would be proud to work there.
Awesome company
Executive Assistant to SVP International Marketing (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 16, 2018
AOL actually cares about employees and their advancement, I have friends that are still working there after 15+ years and loving it. great benefits, good pay, awesome work/life balance
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 12, 2018
Started off working as a technical support for customer service. Quickly advanced to senior technician. Lots of opportunities to increase your pay by up selling great products. Moved to retention when technical support moved overseas. Excellent commission for retaining customers. Stock options were great, especially when stocks split, opportunities to advance are possible
Pros
Great work environment, benefits are excellent, training is continued, encouraged to learn and share new technology that improves our ability to grow technically
Cons
Not informed about closure, not aware of company purchasing another company that negatively effected stock cost
Great place to work - at the time!
INteractive Learning Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 5, 2018
Definitely the best job I ever had. Prior to the merger with TimeWarner, AOL had the best work environment. I was still work, but always fulfilling.

Unfortunately after consistency push by AOL and the TimeWarner merger, it turned into another place to work. They effectively killed AOLs unique culture (and look where they are now.)
Beginning
Customer service/Tech support (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 27, 2018
Great friends work was fun alot of fun and different departments to work in benifits were the best bonuses were great and there were a lot of them I learned a lot about big companys from this job
Pros
money friends bonus
Cons
merger
I am grateful, honored and proud worked for AOL
Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  22000 AOL Way, Dulles, VA 20166February 23, 2018
I am grateful, honored and proud worked for AOL. I learned a lot while working at AOL. The Management is very supportive and nice. The work environment is very unique. the great privilege of working with some of the most talented and smart people in the world is that you learned a wealth of knowledge and experience in writing and website publishing and applications that they use to update AOL online website is involved with immense knowledge of publishing as a media outlet. 400 million visitors a month has been proven the success of AOL’s content strategy and management. The collaborative environment is marked as the stress-free and enjoyable workplace.
Pros
product team was a group of smart, creative, and disciplined .
Cons
n/a
Fun atmosphere with lots of on the job training and perks.
CUSTOMER CARE CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 14, 2018
great team atmosphere with support at the team level from upper management until the last six months; always looked forward to going to work though the work was fast paced and could be stressful at times; the most stress was outside of work for me at the time; felt valued by the customers i served and that i was doing a good thing; the worst part was being pushed to sell products as part of technical support.
Pros
stock options as bonuses; spending y2k at work for a nice get together with my coworkers
Cons
missing out on cashing in most of my stock options
Good place to work at
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 13, 2018
Nothing bad to say about the company. Good balance between work and personal life. Managers were always there to provide guidance or assistance whenever needed.
the company was bought by Verizon
Sr QA Engr (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 3, 2018
The company no longer exists. it was bought by verizon business. But the company put some thoughts into work-life balance, which was good. For example, it encouraged employees to exercise more via a reward program.
Workplace Culture
Infused Intern, Oath (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
-Very inclusive and friendly
-Diversity clearly represented
-Work very hard to fit their costumers need
-Gives back to environment
-Relaxed, Respectable, and Welcoming workplace culture
A special time and place in history
Technical Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2018
cannot express in strong enough terms how proud I was to work at AOL. We changed the world whether anyone remembers or not. We were the company that got America on line!
Pros
Stock options!
Cons
AOL failed to capitalize on the leadership position and lost the market.
Hit or miss
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 31, 2018
Really depends on your manager. Each department head has a lot of autonomy and some jobs overlap. HR doesn't seem to make any effort to make sure this doesn't happen. In some teams the work is up for grabs and the person that volunteers the most is the star. Some teams are run very well by great managers. Lots of nice social events, casual and free beverages/snacks depending on the location.
Layoffs and No Direction
Senior Manager, Client Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Verizon bought AOL and then Yahoo. Most of AOL has been let-go or left voluntarily. The culture has changed for the worse and there is no stability. Layoffs every 3-4 months.