Apex Companies, LLC Employee Reviews

Focus is solely on metrics.
Anonymous worker (Current Employee) –  not availableAugust 11, 2018
There are many positive aspects of Apex Companies. There is a casual office culture and lots of talented individuals. Flexible work schedules and general autonomy in completing work. However, favoritism abounds, there are few opportunities to change jobs or roles, little training and no continuing education opportunities. The company culture is highly focused on metrics and has unrealistic expectations of billable hours vs. project profitability. Top heavy on management.
Limitless Opportunity and Stress
Staff Geologist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
The sky is literally the limit at Apex. Put in the time and initiative, and expect to be rewarded with additional responsibilities and compensation. As an environmental consulting company, billable hours come with the job. Apex does offer flextime despite being salaried, but you will only be paid for hours that are billable... Expect to work 50-60 hours a week regularly to meet those targets. The Texas branches are generally small and specialized, so you have the opportunity to share work with all sorts of great people while helping fill different roles at the various branches. I'd encourage working here for no more than 1-2 years before taking the skills you learned to another [hopefully less stressful] company. Since most of the work we do is subject to the seasons (resource management, oil/gas, due diligence), keep your resume updated frequently... layoffs are frequent, and the first to go are always the middle and senior technical staff.
Pros
Project variety, coworker comraderie
Cons
Pressure cooker environment, entire months where you hope that you aren't the one being escorted out this week
Fun place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKMay 30, 2018
Most appreciative company i have ever worked for. Pay is great but benefits suck and are expensive if you are covering anyone but yourself. 401 K match is not competitive. Corporate company that micro manages everything. performance based raises are very good at least a few dollars an hour every year.
Pros
Fun Company events, good pay, nice staff
Cons
poor benefits, not alot of advancement opportunities
Good starting point
Scientist I (Current Employee) –  New EnglandMay 7, 2018
It's a good starting point for the environmental industry, but field staff are not treated with respect and autonomy. Project Managers expect you to be able to hit the ground running, so to speak with very little training.
Pros
Learn a large volume of useful skills
Cons
Lots of travel, pay low, little respect
It was a pretty cool place to work. Helped me understand the process of working on a project
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER INTERN (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 11, 2018
My work experience at APEX was short but everybody was helpful and friendly. If I had any issues, Management would take a few minutes of their time and explain what I needed to do. Overall, I enjoyed my time there.
Awesome Place to Grow and Challenge yourself
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 6, 2018
Awesome Place to Grow and Challenge yourself. Great staff, everyone is friendly and helpful. limitless growth if you're willing to work for it and know where you want to go
It was a job
Lead Acctg Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 1, 2018
The job was very stressful because of poor management. Personnel was not recognized for a job well done. A lot of favoritism. Commute was very stressful.
Pros
Good Coffee
Cons
Poor management
Wastewater Treatment startup operator / consultant (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 22, 2018
Good place to work, Professional and well organizes. I would work for them again , if the opportunity presented itself. Fast commination and no micromanaging
Poor health insurance, Poor management
Environmental Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYNovember 15, 2017
Health insurance is Cigna. I was forced to change doctors and it was hard to find a new doctor. There are no qualifying dentists in Wyoming. I would have to travel to South Dakota or Montana to see a dentist. Vision insurance was ok. Costs of insurance increase faster than hourly pay.

Management is very poor. They are not trained to handle employee issues or conflicts at all. Hostile work environment.

Often Apex cannot keep employees busy (40 hrs/week) and we are under constant threat of layoffs.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management
Good in the beginning
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 30, 2017
Apex is a stepping stone for employees to gain experience and then leave.

No way to advance - they only hire managers and pay poorly to non-managers.
Pros
Good place to gain 1-3 years experience
Cons
No way to advance - they only hire managers and pay poorly to non-managers

Want to know more about Apex Companies, LLC?

Ask a question
Strong, Knowledgeable, Driven Professionals
Scientist II (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 25, 2017
Smaller offices give you the opportunity to wear lots of hats. If you are driven, you can learn all aspects of the business from environmental sample collection, data entry, and technical reporting to client correspondence and project management. There is always something new to learn and nearly always someone who can teach you or point you in the right direction.
Pros
Flexible work hours and great mentors.
Cons
Billable work can be a stressful grind.
Flexible and easy place to work.
Environmental Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 3, 2017
Nice co-workers
Work different projects
Work in-doors and out-doors
Nice manager
safeguarding environment by testing soil, water and air for contaminations.
Pros
Paid time off, lie back job, nice teammates
Cons
no overtime, less pay, not enough training for mechanical/electrical issues
They burn you out.
Sr. Field Tech (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 14, 2017
I liked working there. Upper management was a bit iffy. Paid good but constant travel and to many hours. To work life balance. Your gone all the time. Very hard to schedule personal appointments cause you dont know where you will be going and when. Very high turnover rate for fellow employees. But, all in all, I enjoyed working for them and enjoyed the challenges.
Pros
Great supervisors and liked a few coworkers. Good pay and benefits.
Cons
No work life balance, Terrible training when I first started. Travel, Always seemed to be in chaos mode
Great company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTMay 1, 2017
Apex is a great company to work for with growth opportunities. Apex gives you the key to the company and it is up to you to decide what doors to open.
Great Work Environment
Intern Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 3, 2017
I have learned everything from medical billing to the immigation process. The company has a great work environment and the management have been wonderful.
The employees are very helpful with any questions and with training you in new areas. Best part of the day is working around caring people that have your best interest.
I wouldn't say there is a hard part of my day.
Pros
Great work environment. The company really seems to take care of their employees. Very impressed.
Cons
Nicer office location. More updates to appear more in the modern age.
great company but will work you raw
Landscape Laborer (Current Employee) –  Raymond, NHJanuary 30, 2017
great company but will work you 60 hours a week due to the constricting time scheduel that they have to follow due to there contracts with companies
I love working here- if for anything, the people (co-workers)
Senior Manager Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 27, 2016
Like any consulting firm, this is a professional environment. However, business attire without ties and suit coats are the norm. The leadership is very approachable up to and including the actual CEO.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Paid Holidays
Fun, hard work
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 26, 2016
This job pays very well and I wish I could still be there. Your allowed to wear what you want and was able to get as much over time as possible. I loved the this job and hope I can fine another like it.
Pros
Work as many hours, and weekly bonus
Cons
One brake
Good company they were not up front about overtime
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 5, 2016
Good place to work only problem was that you had to wait for your truck to come in and you would have to slip seat Long hours and some overtime
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Waiting for truck to slip seat
Great Work Place
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CADecember 7, 2015
Wasn't for me but the people and environment were out standing. Its a good place to be at. Always warm welcomes and joyful smiles around the office.
Pros
Always have coffee ready

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Apex Companies, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.