Appalachian Community Services

Appalachian Community Services Employee Reviews

United States60 reviews
Fast paced, income driven company. Client & cash oriented. Minimal support from management . Training opportunities are varied. Whole range of Mental Health and Substance Abuse services offered to most ages
Management is not available .
Orientation could be better.

New staff do not get enough orientation.

Client food could be better.

Communication from administration could be better.
Do your research on ACS before committing to a job offer from them. It's been said before that ACS has a toxic work environment and no one, not even the best neuropsychologist in the area can do their best work in that atmosphere.
I've always had a good experiencing working here. My supervisors have been great. They're supportive and helped me become a better therapist. It is hard to keep up with the paperwork if you're seeing clients but that's true with any job in this field I think these days. There were changes made to upper management recently and since then things are more positive and morale has really gone up. They really seem to care about employees now and about being honest. I wish the benefits were better but at least they're not too expensive. I'd also like more paid vacation each year but they are flexible so you don't have to take your vacation to attend doctors appointments or just for a brief absence here or there. If you're really dedicated to helping people and to learning alot then you'll love it here and suceed. If you're lazy or if you like to cut corners then you'll hate it here.
I work myself tirelessly and into slight exhaustion but I have learned more than I could ever have imagined. It is very important to find the right balance between professional and personal and speak up when self care comes into play. I have learned what others would in 4 or 5 years and I have only been employed for 2.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I can't believe this place is still in business. I sttongly believe they are an audit shy of closing their doors. Managment encourages Medicaid fraud. Managers generally don't know what they are doing. Entry level employees bring a whole new meaning to 'warm body.' I was appalled at how little education and knowledge of the field an employee needed to be hired. There really is no work culture. No training. I was embarrassed to work here. Glad I got out.
Pros
Cons
Medicaid fraud. No team work
Fast pace environment, collaborative staff, supportive peers and supervisors. Some negative colleagues but overall a positive working experience. Potential for career advancement.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Staffing shortages
If you want to help people, please work for Appalachian, but they do not offer much, and it takes a lot of perseverance for advancement. Their insurance is bad too, but you get to help people and thats what I always cared about.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Management, Job Culture, Benefits
My experience with this company is not a good working environment .Bad manage.Too many supervisiors.Bad pay.No holiday pay. Not a good place to work .
Pros
Great house manger
Cons
Upper management not good.No organization.Poor wages
Very poor training program; very little encouragement. Training consists of workers hearing "that just takes ten minutes" or "you didn't do that?" Management involved in making charts to show how little workers accomplish and will not even allow professionals to make their own schedules with clients. As a worker, I consistently was told three different instructions by three different people. I felt it was all about billing Medicaid.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Appalachian Community Services?
toxic environment, one employee to do home visits, extreme ridiculous program changes, high turnover w/no professional attitude. complaints from clients include inability by staff to have a schedule or to let client know if and when worker coming. respite client left with no help.
You don't know exactly what you are signing up for until either you are hired or you finish orientation and receive your assignment. I don't know what I was hired for till I finished the orientation.
I have worked at Appalachian Community Services for a little over 2 years and have been given several trainings, education advancements and perks. I have not gotten a salary bump or any financial incentives but the experience and client advocacy is worth more than money would be. I love my job and all of the clients I can guide in the right direction with motivation, dedication and compassion.
Pros
Free lunches, wonderful commodore
Cons
7 PTO days a year, no sick days
The most enjoyable part of the job is the population you serve. Management is not honest, and their view of employees is quite negative. They advertise positions that don't exist, and then force employees into other positions. The company does payroll only once a month, and new employees don't learn this until they have accepted the job and are sitting in orientation. First paycheck is six weeks out from start date, a real hardship for some folks. There is a lack of supervision of employees who are not performing, so co-workers end up working harder to pick up their slack or fix the problems that are caused by the poor performers. The pay is lackluster, and from what I understand, the health benefits are abysmal re: coverage, expensive and difficult to access.
Pros
patient population, coworkers
Cons
management, pay, benefits, lack of supervision
Managers bully employees into doing what they want, regardless of what is ethical for the clients. Management does not have compassion for their employees and during my 3-years of employment there, there were multiple employees struggling with severe depression and even suicidal thoughts due to poor work/life balance. Management does not care, as long as “productivity” is up (the more clients you see, the more money they make). Clients stated they felt like it was a conveyor belt of people in and people out, and that they felt treated like a number, not like a human. Horrible, unhealthy, and at times hostile work environment!!!
Plenty of opportunity for overtime. The turn around is very high. When all you hire and rehire are clowns, how can you not expect a circus?

The reward is getting to make a difference in the lives of the people you get to help who would otherwise be at the mercy of another coworker.

With the inability to leave if another coworker doesn't show you have the chance to pick up overtime. However if you have plans and a life, you won't be allowed to leave until a replacement is called.

Poor training. Inadequate for the position.

Immediate manager was great. Other managers lacked skills in management. Incompetency isn't a skill.
Pros
overtime
Cons
not enough money, deplorable living quarters for overnights
Great co workers. Caring workers who care more for there clients concerns than the management does. Don't expect a raise unless your receiving degree with college education. Some employees have worked several years with no increase in pay. Health insurance expensive with large deductible. The ones who produce are overlooked while friends and family get the raises. A great place to start but most move on. Relaxed atmosphere. I would work there again but not expect any pay raise.
Pros
Freedom and satisfaction of accomplishment with clients, you work for and with. My office had great co workers.
Cons
No pay raises, Management lacked leadership and was partial, Health insurance expensive to get a good plan.
Virtually little training time. Very stressful environment.
Management never around to help. No raises, though they were promised at 3 months and 6 months and 12 months.Extremely stressful and fast paced. Clients looked at as get them in, get them out, collect from insurance.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Extremely low pay, no hope for advancement no matter how hard one works.
Co-workers were fine but most of the therapists had been brought in from somewhere else. Not many understood the Appalachian mountain culture and it was made fun of frequently. The office manager engaged in deception to the main office frequently, covering for one girl who had been put on bed rest during the last 3 months of her pregnancy, allowing her to work from home but never telling management which was located in another town, making the rest of us complicit but also made us fear for our jobs.
Pros
It was a job.
Cons
Terrible atmosphere.
They need to pay better and have better benefits. I loved the hours, people and the job I did. Compensation is not what it should be for the stress level.
Revolving door of clients ... not given proper time to process assessments for clients, and its all about productivity. Some offices are much more pleasant to work in than others, simply because they are not micro-managed.
Pros
Your co-workers
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3