Appalachian Community Services logo

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Under staffed and poorly paid.

Company pays so poorly that good, reliable employees have no incentive to stay. Benefit package was recently changed and insurance costs to employee are so high, many opt out completely.

Pros

Tour schedule allows 4 days off/week

Cons

Pay, work conditions, weekend management is horrible.

You can get as much overtime as you like, and I love my job and I love to make money

This is a great company to work for, I have a great boss that allows me to work as much as I want. I love my hours, 3 days on and 4 days off 12 hour shifts. The company as a whole is a great company. You get PTO and other benefits.

Pros

Over time, good hours, Pto

Cons

The opportunity to work overtime is great.

Overall satisfying Job. I feel like I make a difference to those I serve. Most of the coworkers are positive, outgoing, and understanding. This job is not for everyone, but it’s the satisfaction of helping others.

Pros

Understanding management. Flexibility if needed. Opportunity for overtime always.

A company that hasn’t put it together well

Issues from the start. Constantly sending emails about follow up and having to ask where is my paycheck. They weren’t prepared when I started. Delaying my training. Training was a joke and expected me to just figure it out or email someone whom I’ve never met could help. Because...that’s what they did. A joke of a company. If you agree to be a qp you’re also signed up as a receptionist.

Rewarding/Fun

I really enjoy coming into work. There are days that are more hectic than others, but over all manageable. I work with a great team, and get to serve a great population. Boosting staff moral could be better.

Pros

Clients, team work, support from management

Cons

Pay, benefits, and under staffed

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Overall lack of support

I loved working with clients. I liked management on a personal level. However, ACS has an overall toxic environment. When working for ACS I often felt isolated and due to the many responsibilities I had I was unable to have a healthy work life balance and constantly felt behind.

Pros

Clients are amazing

Cons

Toxic work environment, turn over, low pay, poor benefits

This is a good starter job. Most are great to work with.

Some employees cause problems and it seems nothing is ever done and many good employees leave due to that. Pay is not the highest, but the experience is invaluable. Management does listen sometimes. They have lost good employees due to a few employees creating problems and continually seem to be allowed to do this.

Pros

Most of your coworkers are very supportive, You meet some wonderful people and the experience is invaluable.

Cons

Not enough help and overworking can become a issue, Some employees stated they feel targeted by certain staff.

The mission!

Management is not available . Orientation could be better. New staff do not get enough orientation. Client food could be better. Communication from administration could be better.

Toxic environment.

Do your research on ACS before committing to a job offer from them. It's been said before that ACS has a toxic work environment and no one, not even the best neuropsychologist in the area can do their best work in that atmosphere.

Good and getting better

I've always had a good experiencing working here. My supervisors have been great. They're supportive and helped me become a better therapist. It is hard to keep up with the paperwork if you're seeing clients but that's true with any job in this field I think these days. There were changes made to upper management recently and since then things are more positive and morale has really gone up. They really seem to care about employees now and about being honest. I wish the benefits were better but at least they're not too expensive. I'd also like more paid vacation each year but they are flexible so you don't have to take your vacation to attend doctors appointments or just for a brief absence here or there. If you're really dedicated to helping people and to learning alot then you'll love it here and suceed. If you're lazy or if you like to cut corners then you'll hate it here.

Jobs at Appalachian Community Services

See more jobs

You get what you give.

I work myself tirelessly and into slight exhaustion but I have learned more than I could ever have imagined. It is very important to find the right balance between professional and personal and speak up when self care comes into play. I have learned what others would in 4 or 5 years and I have only been employed for 2.

Unbelievable

I can't believe this place is still in business. I sttongly believe they are an audit shy of closing their doors. Managment encourages Medicaid fraud. Managers generally don't know what they are doing. Entry level employees bring a whole new meaning to 'warm body.' I was appalled at how little education and knowledge of the field an employee needed to be hired. There really is no work culture. No training. I was embarrassed to work here. Glad I got out.

Pros

Cons

Medicaid fraud. No team work

Large for profit agency

Fast paced, income driven company. Client & cash oriented. Minimal support from management . Training opportunities are varied. Whole range of Mental Health and Substance Abuse services offered to most ages

Productive, Collaborative

Fast pace environment, collaborative staff, supportive peers and supervisors. Some negative colleagues but overall a positive working experience. Potential for career advancement.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Staffing shortages

I loved this job!

If you want to help people, please work for Appalachian, but they do not offer much, and it takes a lot of perseverance for advancement. Their insurance is bad too, but you get to help people and thats what I always cared about.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Management, Job Culture, Benefits

Bad working experience

My experience with this company is not a good working environment .Bad manage.Too many supervisiors.Bad pay.No holiday pay. Not a good place to work .

Pros

Great house manger

Cons

Upper management not good.No organization.Poor wages

Extreme micromanagement by clinic-level and upper management

Very poor training program; very little encouragement. Training consists of workers hearing "that just takes ten minutes" or "you didn't do that?" Management involved in making charts to show how little workers accomplish and will not even allow professionals to make their own schedules with clients. As a worker, I consistently was told three different instructions by three different people. I felt it was all about billing Medicaid.

toxic, micro-management, condescending, non-competent manager whose supervisor is her best friend. dupevisor is

toxic environment, one employee to do home visits, extreme ridiculous program changes, high turnover w/no professional attitude. complaints from clients include inability by staff to have a schedule or to let client know if and when worker coming. respite client left with no help.

Can be fun and enjoyable

You don't know exactly what you are signing up for until either you are hired or you finish orientation and receive your assignment. I don't know what I was hired for till I finished the orientation.

I did not get into substance abuse and mental health for the money.

I have worked at Appalachian Community Services for a little over 2 years and have been given several trainings, education advancements and perks. I have not gotten a salary bump or any financial incentives but the experience and client advocacy is worth more than money would be. I love my job and all of the clients I can guide in the right direction with motivation, dedication and compassion.

Pros

Free lunches, wonderful commodore

Cons

7 PTO days a year, no sick days

not a good place to work

The most enjoyable part of the job is the population you serve. Management is not honest, and their view of employees is quite negative. They advertise positions that don't exist, and then force employees into other positions. The company does payroll only once a month, and new employees don't learn this until they have accepted the job and are sitting in orientation. First paycheck is six weeks out from start date, a real hardship for some folks. There is a lack of supervision of employees who are not performing, so co-workers end up working harder to pick up their slack or fix the problems that are caused by the poor performers. The pay is lackluster, and from what I understand, the health benefits are abysmal re: coverage, expensive and difficult to access.

Pros

patient population, coworkers

Cons

management, pay, benefits, lack of supervision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6