Appalachian Mountain Club Employee Reviews

great place to work
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAMay 11, 2018
I enjoyed my seasonal lifeguard job at ponkapoag AMC. I kept waterfront clean, stocked any supplies, and acted as lifeguard through the summer. As well as helping the camp manager as needed.
good
Pro Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MEApril 4, 2018
The trail crew was good and the pay was fine. A good job if you want to live and work outside and in remote areas of Maine. Chainsaw training was an added perk.
Loved the Conservation Based Environment
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHJanuary 2, 2018
I really enjoyed the people at the AMC. You find a high concentration of people who are working in the industry because they are passionate about the outdoors and conservation. The nature of the business does not allow them to pay much.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Fun great work environment.
Laborer, maintenance (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MEDecember 26, 2017
Management could be better with expenditures to increase employee pay and lessen the feeling their low pay positions are disposable. Staff housing is restricted to employees.
Reservations/Guest Services
Receptionist/Guest Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  White Mountains, NHOctober 13, 2017
Whether we were performing our daily functions of assisting guests with their hiking plans, to making reservations at the various huts, to performing search and rescue there was never a dull moment. Each day was a new day to enjoy the outdoors and teach others about the outdoors.
Amazing job and amazing people
Educator (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHOctober 4, 2017
Working here really developed my skills as and educator and an outdoors person. If you want a diverse and exciting position working with kids, this place is for you.
Great company with endless outdoor opporunity
Trail Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MEMay 15, 2017
Appalachian Mountain Club was located in the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness area in Maine. I lived in a wall-tent with a yurt on site that had a stove, wood stove, dining table, refrigerator, etc. The people were fantastic. I worked mostly with two other people, one of which also had a wall tent on site. The main lodge where we could shower and use internet (and cell phones) was located about a 15 minute drive up a dirt road along a beautiful lake that we could paddle board, canoe, kayak, fish, swim, etc. right out of the back door. The people who worked out of the lodge were incredible (and excellent cooks) that I consider some of my life long friends. Working outside all summer with amazing people was an absolute dream job.
Pros
Food stipend, housing, living outside all summer, being disconnected from the world, working outside, physically active job, awesome people, endless outdoor activities at my fingertips
Cons
Sesonal, not a lot of opportunity for advancement
Awesome summer experience.
Roving Conservation Crew member (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHFebruary 8, 2017
Typical day at work consists of planning and implementing actions to improve the integrity of hiking trails. Work is physical and tough, but great if that's what you're in to. You cook your own food, but the ingredients are fantastic. Great work environment if you can work on a small team for extended periods of time. Cool weekend lodgings with lots of great outdoorsy folks.
Pros
Get to hike in the White Mountains every weekend.
Cons
Not the best resume booster, if you're an upper level classman in college. Unless you're going into conservation.
Great people and great views
Roving Conservation Crew (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHOctober 22, 2016
This place is something special. A tradition older then most, the people. the work, the views. It all is a community together trying to live happy away from all the distractions of today's society. Work hard and play hard is the best way to live life, and my experience showed me i can build some amazing structures. I learned more about myself and how much i can get done in a day of hard manual labor.
Pros
views from housing
Cons
expensive housing for what you get
Great Workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHSeptember 13, 2016
The AMC allows employees to migrate between departments making it easy to move into different work environments and develop a variety of different skill sets.
Pros
Discounts, Networking, Work environment, cheap living costs
Cons
Low Wages
Has its trade offs
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Bretton Woods, New HampshireMarch 6, 2016
Their vacation and paid holiday package is exceptional for supervisors and managers. However, this is certainly to compensate for the extremely low wages, lack of empowerment, and a culture that is unwilling to adapt to the times and on occasion can actually be quite hostile due to inexperienced and disengaged upper management (property based management team was excellent though!). Health benefits are on par or slightly worse than other companies. If you enjoy the outdoor enthusiast lifestyle, AMC is great. But if you're also looking to be empowered and have opportunities to move up in the organization, go elsewhere. Turnover is very low in key leadership positions with most in position 10-20+ years. Turnover in entry level management and supervisory positions is quite high due to the low pay and frustrating culture of staff being treated like widgets.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Disengaged management, hostile treatment of employees.
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham, NHMay 3, 2014
The financial compensation was extremely low, benefits were very good. but i enjoyed my position.
productive and fun place to work for
mountain classroom instructor (Current Employee) –  Gorham, NHSeptember 29, 2013
Teach outdoor and environmental curriculum to middle school students.
I learned to prepare lesson plans.
Mountain Classroom management is very helpful and co-workers too.
The hardest part of the job is find ways to make the activities fun and instructional.
The most enjoyable part of the is to know that some the students like the outdoors and hopefully want to protect their natural environment after they become adults.
Amc
Trail Crew Leader for the Pittsfield Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAOctober 14, 2012
I enjoyed working with the Appalachian Mountain Club, They treated me well and gave me free range to take the lead on a brand new program for that summer. I enjoyed the work I did there and felt like the job was very rewarding and had the perfect balance between hobbies and having time for the outdoor world and between my work schedule. It was perfect though because my work involved being in the outdoors and leading people that I love leading and guiding through the wilderness.
kitchen work
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  Pinkham Notch, NHMay 29, 2012
job was okay, quite boring when we had no guests; kind chef just above me; beautiful rural setting; at the base of mt. washington; great hiking and skiing