Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews

hoping for increase in salary
Generalist Medical Technologist (Chemistry) (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 26, 2018
its does not observe proper specimen rejection guidelines. The lab is on its process of making its own standard guidelines. Pretty much all over it needs improvement as to policy.
Pros
work environment is good
Cons
salary is very low
Fast paced and fun
Receptionist, Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 16, 2018
It was a fast paced place to work but I had fun meeting new people. The doctors, nurses, and staff were fun to work with. They are a very caring and understanding when it comes to family.
A good place to work. Great team members
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitesburg, KYJuly 10, 2018
I have worked here for a total of 18 years. 10 years as a LPN then received my associate degree in Nursing & continued my career there as a RN. I have worked in several departments in the hospital in my career.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Understaffed at times
It could be so much more.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJuly 10, 2018
While I have only spent two years with the company and have learned through word of mouth that other locations are not the same experience, my location could do with some serious overworking of the management structure to ensure that those in charge are motivating and encouraging rather than appearing to be petty, impatient and overall oblivious to the inner workings of the department.

They do offer a few incentives for nurses that are hired, but none for the lab. They pay lower than every other hospital in the area, but one in regards to laboratory wages. It is one of the few that are not unionized for laboratory workers as compared to others who have managed to obtain better wages and compensation for their field.
Pros
Stable/Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, fair wages, full coverage
Very Low Tech
Food Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Middlesboro, KYJuly 10, 2018
The position was low Technology. Most reports were completed by hand. No engagement with their Union employees. No pride or co-operation with them. Difficult to discipline when needed.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Union
Excellent Working Environment
Emergency Room RN (Former Employee) –  McDowell, KYMay 29, 2018
Everyone here is like family, and everyone is treated with respect by peers as well as management. The CEO has an open door policy, and administration is always willing to listen to ideas to make things better
Pros
Working Enviromnent
Cons
Salary
Great staff and compensation
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaMay 10, 2018
The staff at BARH are very welcoming and caring. Teamwork is great on a daily basis. Compensation is fantastic!! I make close what I made as a travel nurse.
Everyone Qutting because of how horrible
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVMay 2, 2018
Everyone Quitting because of how horrible the job is. They pull everyone to different floors and expect you to take care of 20-25 patients by yourself while the nurses say they are passing meds.
Pros
Can get overtime
Cons
Everything else
Hard very busy
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 24, 2018
Didn't get paid Enuf never saw management only to discipline had to work as 2 or 3 cna and nursing staff for some things while nurses sat at desk talking
Pros
Got paid
Cons
Not enuf
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYApril 12, 2018
It's a great place to work as a traveling nurse. I think the nurses at Appalachian Regional Hospital work very hard to assist travel nurses in their newly job.....Team!!!!
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Good
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 9, 2018
It is a pretty good place to work the pay is not good only minimum wage but the benefits are really good the coworkers from other departments are pretty good
Stresssful
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 9, 2018
This job was very stressful . You are suppose to have other CNATo help you when I need . Well that don't always go that way it's you do your work yourself you can't depend on anyone there to help .. They are nice to you at first then they try to cut your throat
Pros
Cons
No breaks they aren't long enough
They have a few employee functions but not enough
Network Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South Williamson, KYMarch 21, 2018
If I were getting yearly raises and possible advances I would be happier with this company. The employees are great though and it is family oriented it's just the lack of raises that has me concerned longterm
Excellent Workplace
ENVIORMENTAL SERVICE AIDE (Former Employee) –  West Liberty, KYMarch 16, 2018
I worked 3rd shift (3pm-11pm). It was very laid back. I cleaned the Emergency Department floors, took trash and bio-hazardous materials out. Dusted when needed
Pros
Laid back work enviorment
Cons
Not a very good job culture
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, West VirginiaMarch 8, 2018
The atmosphere was that if you had not worked there for many years, you were stupid and did not know your job. It did not matter how hard you worked, management would make fun of you and talk about you to your co workers.
Pros
Cons
not a good place
Ehh
ICU/CCU RN (Current Employee) –  BeckleyFebruary 28, 2018
Management needs improvement, co workers make the job. No pay raises, contract is broken frequently union is weak and management does not respect the Union or contact
good place to work
SNF and Post Acute Care. Full and Part time PRN (Former Employee) –  Blowing Rock, NCFebruary 27, 2018
It was just a part time job. Good people to work with. Excellent benefits. Routine RN staff nurse job. I had problems learning the new computer system. Otherwise no issues.
benefits
Productive, good work enviroment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVFebruary 7, 2018
Good work flow, good team work, management will work well with staff. Management good to work with staff. Enjoyed working here. Had a good team. Easy flow of shifts.
Appalachian Regional Healthcare
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 24, 2018
Appalachian Regional Healthcare serves the southeastern Appalachian area. The reference lab was located from Lexington to Hazard so that it was closer to the hospital chain. The hospitals are small so there is less work and less stress than a larger teaching institution.
Pros
Less stressful than some hospitals
Cons
You have to live in a rural area
can be a fun place to work
Nursing Aide in the Cardiac Cath Lab (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 17, 2018
my co-workers are great, I love my job and taking care of my patients, I love to make my patients smile and comfort them when they are scared. The management could be better. Pay could definitely be better for the work we do.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
raises suck

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Regional Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about