Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews

Low pay, understaffing, weak union
Cook and Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 10, 2019
8 years for a raise causes high turnover rates which is unfair when the CEO makes in a week what I would in a year. Union negotiated a contract that benefited older employees and didn't get a cap on insurance rates.
Cons
Understaffed, underpaid, overworked
Overall great place to work
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 10, 2019
If you can find the right combination of co-workers and manager it is a great company to work at. They try to accommodate your needs within your specific job description.
Pros
Most of my coworkers were great!
Cons
Didn't appreciate the office manager and a couple of co-workers setting me up to fail.
Psychiatric Unit
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WV 25801March 4, 2019
This is a 12 hour shift that requires knowledge of psychiatric assessments and behavioral interventions and patient planning. Nurses are also expected to recognize physiological issues and treat them accordingly. Management has been great in working side-by-side with nurses in order to better serve patients and care for their needs. The environment can be hectic and fast paced at times. Co-workers are friendly and always eager to help their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job comes with patients having severe personality disorders because they often become violent towards staff members. I enjoy every aspect of psychiatric nursing and after working here for a year now I know I've finally found my niche.
Standard Workplace
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVFebruary 5, 2019
Standard work place. Taking care of my patients.Pts.appriciated the care I gave them. They tended to ask for me speicifically to do certain procedures on them.No matter what I always have taken care of my pts.
nothing
Patient Navigator (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 15, 2019
I am working for a grant funded by Gilead and this grant will run out in approximately 3 years, that is my only complaint as that I will have to fine other employment
Pros
flexibility, good benefits
Cons
management
fast-paced, sometimes stressful work environment
Personal Care Aid & Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYJanuary 9, 2019
it was an overall okay place to work. I made good money for the work I put in. I had amazing coworkers and a great boss and if I could've got better hours I wouldn't of left.
Pros
my coworkers, and break times
Cons
management
Good work enviorment
Medical Surgical Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Harlan County, KYNovember 28, 2018
Harlan ARH is a good place to work. The Nurse to patient ratio is typically 6-7 patients per nurse. They will be moving to a new computer system soon so it will be very different from the current paper charting.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Nurse to patient ratios
A valuable service organization that, unfortunately, is non-profit and therefore not fully able to service an impoverished area
Physician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 25, 2018
ARH was very good to me personally. I enjoyed many aspects of the work. I don't appreciate the corporate office and their attitudes and practices regarding administration and patient care.
benefits were great work atmosphere strained
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 25, 2018
The benefits and pay were great. The work atmosphere was complicated and strained. Some employees were friendly, other were not. Things told to people in charge were not kept in confidence.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
work atmosphere
Productive and competitive workplace
ARH Homecare Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitesburg, KYOctober 29, 2018
Managed 3 Homecare Stores and their employees and activities. Also provided reports to upper management as required each month. Ensured that all paperwork for the stores was being completed and that all our patients received the care and follow up as required by laws.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours and on-call status
SOCIAL WORK INTERN (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 24, 2018
Organized and a great place to intern. Worked 7-3:30 Monday-Friday. Staff is friendly and considerate. Great place to work or intern. Something new everyday.
good
LPN/RN ER Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, WV 24740October 16, 2018
This is a great place to start your career, they have many types of positions and they seem to care about their employees.

They do make sure to keep up with all raises, advancements and benefits.
Benefits
Cons
union
not much opportunity for career advancement
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 14, 2018
company doesn't offer much opportunity for career advancement except for nursing. Over all a great place to work, offering great benefits and pay. Great co-workers.
Pros
benefits and pay
Great learning experience
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVSeptember 30, 2018
When I worked at BARH I learned a lot in the short period. I didn't feel I was cut out for the hospital pharmacy. I like the patient interaction. My only complaint is they are not as welcoming to new comers as they should be.
Pros
Awesome learning experience.
Cons
Need attitude adjustments.
Good Job but not enough pay
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 8, 2018
Was a great job but the hours you put in wasn't worth the pay. Can be tough with overtime but still was hard to advance in pay and job status. Would recommend but be ready for what you are getting into.
hoping for increase in salary
Generalist Medical Technologist (Chemistry) (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 26, 2018
its does not observe proper specimen rejection guidelines. The lab is on its process of making its own standard guidelines. Pretty much all over it needs improvement as to policy.
Pros
work environment is good
Cons
salary is very low
Fast paced and fun
Receptionist, Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 16, 2018
It was a fast paced place to work but I had fun meeting new people. The doctors, nurses, and staff were fun to work with. They are a very caring and understanding when it comes to family.
A good place to work. Great team members
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitesburg, KYJuly 10, 2018
I have worked here for a total of 18 years. 10 years as a LPN then received my associate degree in Nursing & continued my career there as a RN. I have worked in several departments in the hospital in my career.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Understaffed at times
It could be so much more.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJuly 10, 2018
While I have only spent two years with the company and have learned through word of mouth that other locations are not the same experience, my location could do with some serious overworking of the management structure to ensure that those in charge are motivating and encouraging rather than appearing to be petty, impatient and overall oblivious to the inner workings of the department.

They do offer a few incentives for nurses that are hired, but none for the lab. They pay lower than every other hospital in the area, but one in regards to laboratory wages. It is one of the few that are not unionized for laboratory workers as compared to others who have managed to obtain better wages and compensation for their field.
Pros
Stable/Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, fair wages, full coverage
Very Low Tech
Food Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Middlesboro, KYJuly 10, 2018
The position was low Technology. Most reports were completed by hand. No engagement with their Union employees. No pride or co-operation with them. Difficult to discipline when needed.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Union

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Regional Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.