Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews in Beckley, WV

Low pay, understaffing, weak union
Cook and Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 10, 2019
8 years for a raise causes high turnover rates which is unfair when the CEO makes in a week what I would in a year. Union negotiated a contract that benefited older employees and didn't get a cap on insurance rates.
Cons
Understaffed, underpaid, overworked
Psychiatric Unit
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WV 25801March 4, 2019
This is a 12 hour shift that requires knowledge of psychiatric assessments and behavioral interventions and patient planning. Nurses are also expected to recognize physiological issues and treat them accordingly. Management has been great in working side-by-side with nurses in order to better serve patients and care for their needs. The environment can be hectic and fast paced at times. Co-workers are friendly and always eager to help their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job comes with patients having severe personality disorders because they often become violent towards staff members. I enjoy every aspect of psychiatric nursing and after working here for a year now I know I've finally found my niche.
nothing
Patient Navigator (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 15, 2019
I am working for a grant funded by Gilead and this grant will run out in approximately 3 years, that is my only complaint as that I will have to fine other employment
Pros
flexibility, good benefits
Cons
management
benefits were great work atmosphere strained
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 25, 2018
The benefits and pay were great. The work atmosphere was complicated and strained. Some employees were friendly, other were not. Things told to people in charge were not kept in confidence.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
work atmosphere
SOCIAL WORK INTERN (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 24, 2018
Organized and a great place to intern. Worked 7-3:30 Monday-Friday. Staff is friendly and considerate. Great place to work or intern. Something new everyday.
Great learning experience
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVSeptember 30, 2018
When I worked at BARH I learned a lot in the short period. I didn't feel I was cut out for the hospital pharmacy. I like the patient interaction. My only complaint is they are not as welcoming to new comers as they should be.
Pros
Awesome learning experience.
Cons
Need attitude adjustments.
Everyone Qutting because of how horrible
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVMay 2, 2018
Everyone Quitting because of how horrible the job is. They pull everyone to different floors and expect you to take care of 20-25 patients by yourself while the nurses say they are passing meds.
Pros
Can get overtime
Cons
Everything else
Hard very busy
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 24, 2018
Didn't get paid Enuf never saw management only to discipline had to work as 2 or 3 cna and nursing staff for some things while nurses sat at desk talking
Pros
Got paid
Cons
Not enuf
Good
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVApril 9, 2018
It is a pretty good place to work the pay is not good only minimum wage but the benefits are really good the coworkers from other departments are pretty good
Not a very good job culture
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, West VirginiaMarch 8, 2018
The atmosphere was that if you had not worked there for many years, you were stupid and did not know your job. It did not matter how hard you worked, management would make fun of you and talk about you to your co workers.
Pros
Cons
not a good place
Ehh
ICU/CCU RN (Current Employee) –  BeckleyFebruary 28, 2018
Management needs improvement, co workers make the job. No pay raises, contract is broken frequently union is weak and management does not respect the Union or contact
Productive, good work enviroment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVFebruary 7, 2018
Good work flow, good team work, management will work well with staff. Management good to work with staff. Enjoyed working here. Had a good team. Easy flow of shifts.
can be a fun place to work
Nursing Aide in the Cardiac Cath Lab (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 17, 2018
my co-workers are great, I love my job and taking care of my patients, I love to make my patients smile and comfort them when they are scared. The management could be better. Pay could definitely be better for the work we do.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
raises suck
Favoritism and immature management
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 7, 2018
There are a lot of very good nurses and ancillary staff members at this hospital. However, most of the management behaves childishly and immature and will mark you ineligible for rehire if you do anything that they don't like or disagree with. Beware.
It would be a good place to work in certain departments
Medical Records Clerk/Admissions Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVDecember 30, 2017
I can't really rate them fairly as I was only a fill in for someone on maternity leave then there was a huge layoff back then and I bumped into another department that I didn't care much for and then laid off but the first department was awesome
Pros
Great insurance if you are there long enough
Cons
quite a few strikes and lay offs over the years
worst place I ever worked
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 3, 2017
I was a manager here. My floor was always short staffed, the House nurse coordinator was always rude and expected my nursing staff to take 12-15 patients at times a piece. they were always short staffed. as management I was not allowed to assist on the floor or even have lunch with those underneath me. The environment was stressful, turnover high.
Pros
definite job security
Cons
short staffed, horrible team work
day at work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 18, 2017
All I can say is that this is a very stressful place to work. You need really strong nerves to be able to deal with this job. hard to sit for 12 hours sometimes with no breaks or lunches.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
stressful
Fast paced work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 1, 2017
I loved my coworkers but the job was stressful. It was short staffed. We switched to team nursing and it was very overwhelming. Some of the doctors were on a power trip and you didn't always get treated with respect.
Pros
job security, insurance
Cons
very busy, short staffed
Clinical Nurse Manager
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVJuly 31, 2017
I supervised a medical surgical floor, also worked in the cathlab prior to becoming a clinical nurse manager. During my time at BARH I had the opportunity to write a hospital wide policy and it was accepted into practice. I was responsible for daily activities of the staff which included, but not limited to, scheduling, training, orientation, discipline, and team meetings.
Pros
increasing knowledge of management skills
Cons
union
great place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVMay 12, 2017
one of the greatest places I have ever worked, could use more in pay for the work you do as a CNA. By working for this hospital, it gives you the opportunity to work with great nursing staff and to provide the patient care the people deserve
Pros
great insurance
Cons
the pay you receive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appalachian Regional Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.