Appalachian Regional Healthcare Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Psychiatric Unit
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WV 25801March 4, 2019
This is a 12 hour shift that requires knowledge of psychiatric assessments and behavioral interventions and patient planning. Nurses are also expected to recognize physiological issues and treat them accordingly. Management has been great in working side-by-side with nurses in order to better serve patients and care for their needs. The environment can be hectic and fast paced at times. Co-workers are friendly and always eager to help their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job comes with patients having severe personality disorders because they often become violent towards staff members. I enjoy every aspect of psychiatric nursing and after working here for a year now I know I've finally found my niche.
Great staff and compensation
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaMay 10, 2018
The staff at BARH are very welcoming and caring. Teamwork is great on a daily basis. Compensation is fantastic!! I make close what I made as a travel nurse.
Okay place to work
ICU Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Whitesburg, KYDecember 16, 2017
The atmosphere was friendly, low key. The management was knowledgable, helpful, and organized. The pay was less than adequate, and benefits were tolerable.
Fast paced work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 1, 2017
I loved my coworkers but the job was stressful. It was short staffed. We switched to team nursing and it was very overwhelming. Some of the doctors were on a power trip and you didn't always get treated with respect.
Pros
job security, insurance
Cons
very busy, short staffed
just fair
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaApril 25, 2017
kind of day is the day where there is nothing spectacular left to do for the patient except for comfort cares - the heart of all nursing care. We spend a lot of time with family and friends of the patient on those days.
Regardless, every day has some challenges.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
I guess the management
Educational & good compensation, but poor life work balance
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYNovember 16, 2016
I worked there 25 years, mostly ICU/ CVU. I learned a lot, and gained a lot of experience. Most people I worked with were great. Pay and benefits good. Scheduling not so good. If you need / want certain day of week off... you couldn't get it, unless you found your own coverage most of the time. Mandated overtime.
Pros
Pay & benifits
Cons
Scheduling & mandation
Very Educational place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYAugust 15, 2016
I gained very valuable nursing knowledge and experience during my seven years in the ICU at ARH. I also worked with some excellent RNs who truly cared about and advocated for their patients.
Pros
Great coworkers
Hospital business as usual
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJuly 7, 2014
Coworkers are the best, long hours and short staffed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upper management . The most enjoyable was seeing patients receive the care they deserved.
Pros
Close to home, insurance
Cons
Expected to work long hours
I love being a nurse and working in a hospital.
RN (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVOctober 22, 2013
ARH used paper charting, so I was able to chart very well on my patients. I was a discharge and admission nurse on a post-op med-surg unit. I loved my unit manager she was a great nurse and wouldn't ask her staff to do anything she didn't do.
Pros
I love working with patients and being close to home.
Cons
union