Appalachian State University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Graduate Assistant
NHM Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 27, 2018
Great culture but not flexible with graduate assistant schedules. Some professors are more flexible than others. It is great to work on campus and walk directly to class!
I would work here again in a heartbeat!
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 25, 2018
The UREC community is truly a unique one. There was such a strong sense of support, and my coworkers felt like my family. I left upon graduating, but if I came back to the school/area, I would work there again without hesitation.
Drew tired of the attitude of most students. Burnt out.
Full Professor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 21, 2018
Drew tired of the attitude of students. Burnt out. The administration is on the student's side. I decided that I could not do this another 15 years.
relaxed work place
Appalachian State IMC Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 20, 2018
I was a student assistant so there are very little things that I was allowed to do really. I designed for them and made sure the patrons were happy. Other than that, I made sure the books were neat and that everything was running smoothly.
Beneficial
Arabic Lab Instruction (Current Employee) –  NCJune 12, 2018
A reasonable position, in which as an intern, employees provide instruction and advisement for students of the Arabic language. Great leadership experience.
Front Desk Attendant and Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 31, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere - community engaged - management is very supportive and flexible with career goals and plans - get to work with all kinds of people of various ages to improve their health.
Amazing co workers
Safe Ride Driver (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 20, 2018
Gear Up and Upward Bound at Appalachian State University provided me with the much needed experience for working with online programs and learning to follow orders and meet peoples needs.
fun student coworkers, poor management relationships
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 18, 2018
Poor inter-managerial relationships can be felt by student employees. Management was the reason for multiple students leaving their positions as Student employees in my time as an employee. I considered leaving a couple times due to management, but stayed because I enjoyed working with my co-student workers.
Good members
Mover/Packer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 17, 2018
It was a labor intensive job but had good Commodity Amongst works and got money for lunch, it was all a group of wrestlers and we competed To get the job done as fast as possible
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
It’s takes however long it takes to get the job done
this is not a job
Club Member (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 16, 2018
This is one of the club which I enjoyed to gather around with different people. We done activities like donations, social gathering and community services.
Pros
management
Preparation
Operation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 16, 2018
Everything has it's preparation and behind the scene. This job was basically behind the scene. I worked to set up meeting, conferences and parties rooms.
Pros
great leadership
great learning environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 16, 2018
It was a great learning environment for student worker to get started to work. There was a great supervisor who taught hand by hand of how everything goes around and resolve problem.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
not challenging
Fun place to work
Soccer Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 13, 2018
A very fun place to work, easygoing people, great environment, wonderful location with the best views and weather! Would recommend to anyone looking to work at a college
Good place to learn front-desk skills
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 8, 2018
-Helped residents (and parents), and prospective residents who walk in, when management is not in office.
-Residents' privacy, safety, and comfort emphasized.
-Management friendly and helpful, answered questions and concerns.
-Management asked for workers' opinions and suggestions on move-in, leasing procedures. Valued our input.

-Usually considerate of availability, but due to high amount of student workers, difficult to get more than one shift a week (on average), though it's nice if you need to trade a shift/get sick,etc.
-Management allows you to do homework at desk, but customer is always priority.
-Lunch/Dinner break not specified, must help residents whenever they walk in or call.

-Most challenging to control emotions with rude parents/residents.
-Most satisfying: gaining confidence and feeling self-reliant by improving skills and resourcefulness.

-Learned to practice patience, self-control, and understanding.
-Learned phone etiquette.
-Learned how to respond to emergency situations (fire, water leak, reported drugs, suspected weapon on property)
-Learned how to be firm on rules/protocol, without being rude to customer.
-Learned ins-and-outs of Leasing procedures and workings.
-Learned how to "sell" apartments to prospective residents.
Pros
considerate of class schedule, helpful and friendly management, learned several skills, pros outweigh the cons
Cons
only part-time, no lunch/dinner break, barely over minimum wage, scheduling can be frustrating, some old-fashioned rules (rent payment ONLY check or money order, no online), sometimes scary being alone in office.
Major University within NC
Bookstore Information Technologies Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 5, 2018
Most of the people are great to work with. Management needs to communicate better though. Hardest part of job is getting time off when you want because the work revolves around when the university semesters begin and end. If you want training in your area of employment you have to find it your self most of the time. The environment of Appalachian State University though is very friendly and in a small community that has just about everything that you can fine in larger cities and without the major crimes.
Pros
Friendly University, Appalachian Mountains, Small City
Cons
Poor Communications by Manager, Evals are normally late or stagnet
Wonderful and collaborative environment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 27, 2018
Absolutely great academic institution full of wonderful people. The students are bright and respectful. The faculty and staff are collaborative. It’s a beautiful campus
Pros
Excellent health care
Cons
N/a
good
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 24, 2018
i was under contract with in the recreation management program. I instructed backpacking, canoeing, and a rafting class.i REALLY ENJOYED these classes because it got me out into the elements.
a great place to go to school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 12, 2018
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors
Fun and supportive environment
Advising Center Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 6, 2018
I loved working for the advising center while I was a student. Not only were the hours flexible, but I felt full support both personally and academically.
great place to work
Support Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 15, 2018
Appalachian is a great place to work. The pay is moderate for what you are doing, but as far as I know all of the temps are paid the same, regardless of what job they are working for the day. At least that was the case for me. The hours are great during book rush, but there is no continuity/ no work during the semester.