Appalachian State University Employee Reviews

Loved working at Appalachian State
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 15, 2019
The people, the community, the location were absolutely amazing. I would still be working there if I hadn't needed to move back home. Their commitment to community service, leadership, and the environment are second to none. They love their students.
Well Worth It
Resident Adviser (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 8, 2019
Truly an excellent position wherein one can grow and make more than deserved. The only issue is the staff supervising RAs changes often causing it to be a very hit or miss position with the RD supervising you. Your supervisor can make or break the job.
Pros
Overly compensated
Cons
(though not technically) always on call
Food Services
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCApril 2, 2019
It was a great environment and full of nice people that were fun to work with. The hours were extremely flexible which allowed me to fit work into my school schedule.
Excellent
Football Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 28, 2019
It has been a great experience and extremely happy with the position. The group that I work with are extremely helpful and a great team. Plan to continue throughout my time at ASU
Very productive and encouraging
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 25, 2019
There are multiple units to this job, and I can only give feedback on the four that I've worked in.
Park Place Café is a very close knit community. You work closely with the full time staff while serving food, washing dishes, making pizza, or cleaning. The hardest part of the job would be during the rushes. No matter where you are. If you're in the dish room then you're scrubbing nonstop, and if you're on the front line then you're just hoping the cooks can keep up. It's very enjoyable though. You get to know the customers, and in some cases know what they're going to get before they even tell you.
Veggie Prep is very fast paced and mostly prepping vegetables. Depending on the shift they can be close knit or not. The hardest part of this unit is peeling 5+ bags of onions and the most enjoyable part is the occasional free food from the bake shop.
McAlister's Select is very close knit. You're either making food or acting as a cashier. The hardest part are the rushes and the most enjoyable part is the bantering that takes place.

Rivers Street is my least favorite place to work. Not very close knit and serious management concerns. I was brought into a fight between 2 supervisors and I tried to get out as quickly as possible afterwards.
I love App
Health Promotion Intern (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 21, 2019
App was my home away from home. It most definitely taught me so much time management and how to stay organized when you have one million and one things going on in your life.
DIRECTOR - CAREER DEVELOPMENT CENTER (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 20, 2019
Enjoyed my time there. Would love to work there again. Wonderful staff and students. Not perfect but a good growth experience. Would recommend to others.
Helpful and supportive
Student Assistant of Yosef Club (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 10, 2019
Appalachian State athletic administration staff aims to help former student-athletes for life after athletics. The staff believes in a family culture and the stand by it.
Fast paced environment
Telecommunications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMarch 8, 2019
I have worked in law enforcement 22 years, the last 11 at Appalachian State University. The time spent there has been challenging adapting to the college students and their needs. I have made many friends in the work place.
Pros
The work family and environment
Cons
No pay increases, no room for advancement, poor management
Great place for early studies
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 21, 2019
The educational environment is superb, and the research atmosphere is highly educational. The town of Boone is one of the true gems. A perfect combination of a small town with the want to be big brother feel. I would love the opportunity to go back in the future.
Laid back environment as long as you work hard
Food Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 16, 2019
Primarily dishwasher but performs other tasks such as food preparation and customer service. Take 30 immediately after clocking in. Lunch rush busiest part of the day. Stuff dials down afterwards.
Pros
Food plan
Cons
Temporary position, no benefits
Large organization with many benefits and complications
Farm Manager, Instructor, Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCFebruary 4, 2019
Large institutions are powered by lots of people, many of whom are healthy and balanced, many of whom are dysfunctional. How well you can navigate bureaucracy will determine whether or not you thrive at an educational institution.
Great academic environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 29, 2019
I learned a great deal about leadership in a diverse academic environment. I met many great people who accelerated me forward in my career. The business school is a close knit friendly environment.
Productive and fun environment, place to work.
Building & Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  263 Locust Street, Boone NC, 28608January 16, 2019
Description: Daily routine of cleaning the restrooms on two floors that are signed to me, which includes cleaning the toilets, checking
personal bags, maintaining toilet paper stocked, cleaning the mirrors and sinks thoroughly, taking out the trash. Sweeping and mopping the
floors. Spraying disinfectant to ensure that there are no germs, vacuuming two floors sectioned out, which includes cleaning and vacuuming
mats and carpet on every floor that is signed to me. Cleaning the fitness center workout room including the
toilets,sinks,mirrors,sweeping,mopping,restocking any necessary items. Cleaning and deep cleaning the showers,scrubbing them and
spraying them down to ensure the level of expectations are meet.
Pros
Fun Environment, Productive place to work, Engagement, Leadership.
Great College Job
Call Center Assistant-Admissions (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 11, 2019
Working in the call center has been amazing thus far! Very collaborative and positive environment!! Flexible hours make it very easy with a college schedule and heavy courses. It is awesome to help people with the admissions process and represent Appalachian in a positive manner!
Pros
Flexible work hours, great environment, collaborative
Cons
Pay is minimum wage, but expected for the job level.
Advanced equipment and thoughtful advising provided opportunity to expand skills of communicating and performing scientific research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCDecember 19, 2018
Appalachian State University's Physics and Astronomy department offers several different opportunities for students to get involved with research. I joined the Biophysics and Optical Sciences Facility the summer after freshman year out of interest in getting involved with the department. In the lab, I was challenged to apply physics and engineering to perform research with an optical tweezers apparatus. Optical tweezers focus a laser beam onto microscopic particles and suspends those particles in the laser light. I have used this apparatus to perform research on several different projects presented to me by my research adviser and have presented my work at several research conferences. I have currently received five grants for my research including the NC Space Grant in summer, 2018, funded by NASA and managed through North Carolina State University. The hardest part about this job is working on a tedious project that never seems to work no matter how many times I tried. Although this can be frustrating, it also makes success feel like an incredible achievement which provides the motivation to keep on trying.
Intense internship with competitive deadlines
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCNovember 15, 2018
I did about seven months of creating maps for a larger, multi-department project to determine the best location for 3D terrestrial scanning equipment in Watauga County, NC. The work environment was independent and challenging.
Routine schedules
Food technician (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCNovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with. The routine was pretty much the same as long as there was people there for the other positions. I had to work several positions that really burnt me out and stressed everyone out. A great place to work but the workload was very unpredictable.
Pros
i enjoyed the college atmosphere
Cons
unpredictable workload
Fun place to work as a student, given that it was relaxed and the hours worked with my schedule.
Facility Technician (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCOctober 4, 2018
On a typical day as a facility technician I would be given a list of tasks that needed to be completed in a timely manner. These items consisted of mostly cleaning and organizing things within the gyms on campus.
Pros
Flexib le hours
Cons
Wasn't very challenging
A great place to work
AppFund Caller (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCOctober 1, 2018
AppFund was always a fun and exciting place to work. I spent every shift learning new things about App State and getting to know some very interesting alumni.