Appen Employee Reviews

Great job
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 17, 2018
Great 2nd job, its remote and you can work your own hours and from anywhere, and extra hours are common. Multiple projects available to work as well. and super easy to apply.
Pros
flexible hours and remote
Cons
hard to contact supervisors or tech help
Unique type of work helps you imagine the future of social media
INDEPENDENT SOCIAL MEDIA CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Willoughby NSWDecember 15, 2018
After 23 months with Appen I can say that the work is interesting as it helps me to analyze how various audiences use social media and understand their demographic and behavioral profile.
Convenient way to gain experience and supplement your income.
Quality Reviewer (Current Employee) –  HomeDecember 12, 2018
The pay is not great, but the work is not too demanding and management is very fair. Job availability may waiver from time to time but it’s a great way to gain experience.
Pros
Work from home, stress free, explore
Cons
Low pay
not a bad online job
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WADecember 6, 2018
I worked on several projects for Appen and overall it was good. You just have to know that these jobs are not permanent or a dependable source of income. If you understand that its pretty good. 14 dollars an hour to review ads and fact-check search engines was pretty sweet! I was kind of draining at times, but at least i got to be at home!
Pros
flexible, good pay for work
Cons
unpredictable, no set manager
Providing Services as a Freelance Independent Consultant - Not Permitted to Report as Employer
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  NA - RemoteNovember 11, 2018
I love what I do and I'm ecstatic to be providing services for this company. Not permitted to provide details, but I am very happy with this partnership.
Flexible hours, repetitive tasks, easy work
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 6, 2018
I have been working as an independent contractor with Appen since August 2018. Work is not always consistent but pay is decent for the type of job it is. Due to signing a nondisclosure agreement I am unable to comment more on the specifics of my position.

Pay is only once a month and it is not enough to support yourself without another source of income. It is a good supplemental income though especially for the pay rate.

My hours are flexible which is great since I tend to have a busy schedule. It is great not having to go into an office to work.
Pros
flexible, decent pay
Cons
contractor position can be terminated at any time, no benefits, no PTO
Stay away..
Ads rater (Current Employee) –  OtherNovember 5, 2018
Started out ok, but quickly turned bad when they decided they didn't want to pay me for hours worked. They use a third party now called Payoneer to pay you, and they like to lose peoples payment, and basically tell you that you are SOL. The whole work at home flexibility looses it's appeal really quick. When you email support about not receiving your payment they don't respond, even though they responded to previous emails with no problem. I guess it's easy work though if you don't mind working for free..
Pros
nothing
Cons
Support won't answer when it comes to payment.
I appreciated the flexible hours, pay and training offered
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  HomeNovember 4, 2018
Appen was a great company to work for and with. I enjoyed working from home and still having time for my family. I was able to make my own hours. Which allowed me to know I would be available for my family, all while making money from home and helping my family financially.
Pros
No traveling
Cons
Lack of more opportunity
Flexible scheduling is appreciated
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  OregonNovember 2, 2018
Appen made it so I could work very flexible hours and that was nice, but the job was so temporary I didn't know when it was going to end. As a social media evaluator, they just email you one day and you're done; difficult to plan life around that, I'd say. No benefits, little incentives. It's a temp job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No job security
Atractiva opción de empleo adicional
Linguist (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 1, 2018
He colaborado en proyectos realizando tareas lingüísticas relacionadas con sintaxis y semántica, así como localización lingüística a español mexicano.
Pros
Flexibilidad
Love this job
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2018
This is a remote position using Social Media to rate content. They are helpful and they respond to problems in a timely manner. The qualifications to get the job were easy. I recommend this company to anyone looking to make some easy money.
Amazing
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 30, 2018
It's the opportunity of a lifetime because you almost have freedom of choice when it comes to work hours. However the pay is not good, only providing the bare minimum to pay your needs.

I would never consider this a dominant force of income. It's very rare to earn over 2,000 working with appen.
Pros
Time Freedom, Remote
Cons
Low pay
good but not reliable work
Independent contractor (Current Employee) –  homeOctober 19, 2018
It is good company to work for. however, the contract can be terminated without notice and then there is lack of income coming in. It is great for working around family commitments.
Work for them if you absolutely have nothing better to do with your time
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Worked from homeOctober 18, 2018
When I signed up with Appen, it took months before I received a confirmation of my acceptance. While I was waiting for an answer, I emailed the company several times but they went unanswered. After I got my confirmation, there were even more delays and technical difficulties. Once all that got sorted out, I got emails from the company informing me there was work available, usually at random times when I was too busy. So I was not able to log into their website until about 2-3 days later. By then, the assignments were gone. I trained for a few assignments but since I was a newbie, I made a lot of mistakes and I would get kicked off with no explanation. Not very motivating. In addition, the assignments were eye-crossingly boring, not always clear, and the pay rate was equal to 3rd world country slave wages. It did not make me want to work for them. But my last assignment was actually pretty decent. I had technical difficulties as usual but the manager was quick to respond. The job paid about a $12 flat fee for a 45 minute listening and evaluation test and I was paid 2 days after completion. It made me wish all Appen jobs followed this standard. .
Pros
My last assignment paid me about $12 for a 45 minute job, I got paid 2 days later, and a manager was available to answer my question.
Cons
A lot of delays, technical difficulties, employees are slow to respond to inquiries or don't respond at all, tasks are boring, you're not given a definite deadline to complete assignments, once they're gone, they're gone, pay rates are equivalent to 3rd world country slave wages.
Great ability to work remotely
Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 5, 2018
Appen has great clients and keeps their contracted employees working and engaged. There is a great set of resources to assist you while working remotely, no matter what time day or night.
Great Work from home job
Web Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, ALOctober 5, 2018
This a great job for supplemental income. Very good creating your own hours, and having the freedom to stay at home.
This job is perfect for college students needing a little extra cash, stay at home moms, or disable people.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Projects ending without notice, once a month pay
Not Worth the Time
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 27, 2018
In good conscience, I cannot recommend anyone even pay Appen the time of day. While the system is straight forward and the people nice, having even the slightest technical issue is impossible to get fixed. It is very much a left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing situation when it comes to their technical support.

Further, while you may complete their qualification tests, half the time the project is completed by already existing employees before you can move to the actual work part that gets you paid.

All in all, nothing personal towards the company. But if you need an actual online job that pays, I would try a different one.
Pros
Nice people, system is straight-forward
Cons
Terrible tech support staff, available work minimal
Flexible job; good for work/life balance
Butler (Current Employee) –  virtualSeptember 25, 2018
Good job for extra income, retired persons, or moms who need to work from home. Work time is flexible and some of the projects are very interesting. This work is great for extra income
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Great flexible and remote working environment
Social Media Evaluator (Remote) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 17, 2018
If you'd like to work remotely, this is a great company to start with. They offer various projects to work on as an independent contractor, with decent pay. Very well managed.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Need more projects
This is a good good for part-time remote work.
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WASeptember 11, 2018
This job is good for part-time remote work. There doesn't seem to be any opportunities for advancement. It is a good part-time job but should not be considered a career.
Pros
Flexible work, good pay for the type of work.
Cons
No advancement or pay increases.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.