Appen Employee Reviews

flexible hours, great extra pay
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 16, 2019
The company has been easy to work for. They answer questions in a timely fashion. The position is remote and the hours are very flexible. It has allowed me to be at home with my kids and make some extra money. The only downside has been that I was told I would have a certain amount of hours each week and after three weeks, they were cut by 75%. Don't count on it being your only job.
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
hours get cut
poor communication, $5 for access to your FB account
crowd sourcing (Current Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 13, 2019
After 4 month application process (tests-tests-tests) with no response to any emails I sent, I thought, well this could be a good online job. I was hired, but none of the promised assignments came through except a constant barrage of emails to give access to my FB account for a whopping $5.

I am not sure anything is even happening behind the website. I would not count on more than $5/month from them. If you're willing to give someone all access to FB.
Cons
no real job there
Flexible ve evden çalışma fırsatı
Trancriptionist (Current Employee) –  (Home-Based job)March 13, 2019
proje bazlı kendi bilgisayarında istediğin zaman çalışabilirsin. dolar ödeme yapıldığı için güzel bir ek gelir sağlıyor.
Interesting work-at-home job
Website Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeMarch 8, 2019
Appen gives you webpages to evaluate (basically you are helping train AI with your input). There's a quota per hour to do, and it can range from quite interesting topics to somewhat inane. There is very little "management" to speak of- you'll get e-mails with instructions or guidelines as necessary.

This is contract work (the remote jobs). No benefits, or even job security. But you know that going in. This is a great job if you need to stay home, or want an easy second source of income.
Pros
work at home
Cons
no benefits
Your experience may vary!
Contractor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 5, 2019
I was intrigued by the idea of this company although a part of me was thinking 'this is too good to be true'. It's took a more than a month after signing up to get assigned to a project. I figured being bilingual and having two degrees and being active on social media would be a great help but unfortunately none of that means much here. Just my 2nd month in, and my invoice was rejected and they continuously asked me to alter my hours and remove time from my time sheet. Their systems don't accurately show how much you worked. So, if you have no proof, you will be forced to remove those hours and get paid for far less work than you did. Second, their systems don't work on many of their projects. Their technical support is non-existent. It may take a week or more to get a response (if you get one). Some of their projects that last for one hour per day for example take 2-3 hours to do because of their systems constantly crashing and filled with errors. You still get paid for 1 hour, even if you spent three times as much as that to do the work.

So,many of these reviews seem really positive. They do pay you reliably once a month. But honestly your entire happiness will depend on whether or not you're selected for a reliable project. Just remember, you should be able to work independently and be tech savvy or you may find yourself frustrated by the lack of support. Don't forget to keep proof of the work you did.
Pros
Paid on time, work from home
Cons
Tools and systems don't work, you need proof of the work you do
Flexible working hours
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Home, ApexFebruary 17, 2019
It is a part-time work from home job.
It gives me freedom to work at my own time.
It helps me maintain a good work life balance.
With flexible working hours it makes it easy for me to concentrate on my family.
I want to work with you in transcription in Arabic
Transcription Clerk (Current Employee) –  Egypt, ARFebruary 12, 2019
I liked the idea of the fact that you were
And looking for a job that you would like to work with you in transcription in Arabic with you in transcription in the subject so that you can be a good writer
Pros
The time
Cons
No problem
Easy going
WEB SEARCH EVALUATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2019
Easy work, but no room for advancement. Since it is contract work you will hardly ever have a steady income from working here. I still would recommend it to anyone looking to make extra money.
Good remote work from home Company
SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2019
I love working for Appen as they allow me to work from anywhere as I'm always on the go so I frequently work on the road at home at school everywhere and they have new projects popping up all the time.I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs a part time job you can do at your own pace and whenever and wherever you want.
Pros
remote work, no boss
Cons
part time work, no bonus
Fun place to work
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 28, 2019
Very compatible schedule to work into in type of life style. Great flexibility to work with my personal life. Quick response from technical support when issues arise.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Independent contractor
Easy work for money, but not stable
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 25, 2019
It was fine, process of hire is slow but easy if you read what they send you. Work is very linear and they want you to follow a certain format when writing reviews. It is a lot less opinionated and more about if the ad does its job. Gets really old after a while but $13 an hour for a work at home job is great.
Pros
Work from anywhere
Cons
Can be cut from work without warning, it’s a contact job so that’s expected
ok
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 23, 2019
It was an okay job. The work was really boring. I would recommend working here if you want a work from home job. The worst part was the actual work. It's boring to do for four straight hours.
Pros
work from home
Cons
tedious work
Low support, tricky qualification processes, no work
Evaulator (Former Employee) –  Budapest, MOJanuary 23, 2019
I started to cooperate with Appen few months ago. The qualification processes are very tricky, there are lots of categories are very very close to each other so makes you the rating decision very hard-high amount of error% during qualifications

If you have any technical or any question about your work, need to wait over a week to get answer or you can continuously attach them. I joined to a project, spent 4 days with qualification and the work they gave was enough for like 1 week! Very low amount of projects and tasks in the european area.

For az extra money to packet is fine, but you dont need to wait for a continuous work option.
Pros
comfortable
Cons
tricky, low amount of tasks, slow communnication
Appen Global Experience
SOCIAL MEDIA EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 21, 2019
The interview is hard and you must study. Limited access to a management team but it is easy work once you get started. The work can be tedious and you must have strong time management skills.
Love working at Appen
web search evaluator (Current Employee) –  At homeJanuary 20, 2019
Appen is my second job and I love it! It is flexible. I can work at any time. I highly recommend! There isn't any advancement but i am not looking to advance. I get to work at home
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Appen sucks being a contractor
Social Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 10, 2019
This company is fine as long as everything is working but stays very mysterious on all fronts as good as they can. You will get to do certain work, but you won't get a contact person to ask any important questions. Asking the help desk is a total waste of time since their only reason of existing is to tell you ''we know there is a problem, please be patient'' or ''we can't help you.'' Plain as that.

Never ever did I work for a company that's less interested in its employees, nor a company that's more mysterious about its goals or work ethic. They will screw you over when they get the chance and not give two ***** about doing so.
Pros
Cons
No job security, no help, not contact, no nothing.
Good Company
Independent Contractor/Remote Agent (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 1, 2019
Good remote option for stay at home moms, or retired individuals looking to add extra income to their lives, but NOT dependent on their pay check. The company is based in Australian, and you will be paid about once every month and a half, which is fine if you only need extra income for random things and not living expenses.
Personally, I like the company and hope to continue working for them PT in the future. NOT A SCAM like some people claim.
Pros
remote, easy work
Cons
unreliable income. Projects do not come with an end date.
Flexible hours and a very supportive Supervisor
Home-based/ Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, CTDecember 19, 2018
Flexible hours and a very supportive Supervisor. I can work while looking after with my kids because of their home-based job offer. The system is so easy to use.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
contractual / per project
Work at home
Social Media Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2018
I am a contractor that works from home, has access to the workstation always, is kept informed about any issues quickly, and can contact management easily. I am friendly with the management, am kept informed about any work issues that need to be addressed.
Pros
Flexible hours, work from home
Cons
if their is a problem with the website, cant work.
Great job
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 17, 2018
Great 2nd job, its remote and you can work your own hours and from anywhere, and extra hours are common. Multiple projects available to work as well. and super easy to apply.
Pros
flexible hours and remote
Cons
hard to contact supervisors or tech help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.