Appen

Appen Employee Reviews

United States506 reviews

projectavailhourguidelineboreemailevaluatormedium

appen-self employment

appen is a okay place to work- people make this a choice for there work- i hear people say it's monthly pay- wrong it's every 45 days your paid- invoice submitted on the 1st and normally paid the 14th- some cases might be a few days early- I have no complaint- poor customer service- the money is not much it will pay my light bill- the more you work the more you will be paid. the money is good to get when it's paid. I have had no major problem but a few technical problems- that's gonna be normal-- i will say it is a never ending process trying to get a job. you got through the process sometimes can take a year to get the job- do not sign up and expect to start working within the 1st month not gonna happen- takes time- this is not a get rich skeem- this is for people that love data work and have some extra time to relax and make a couple hundred bucks- do not let people's review influence your decision. just because someone had a negative time with appen does not mean you will. customer support does reply- sometimes it does take awhile- there are millions that work on the platform and they have a lot to reply to. but assure you they will reply. sign up get started and be patient- social media is huge so work will always be available- make sure you have a facebook account/ cellphone- android-iphone and internet connect that is (reliable).. things take time- appen is fun and rewarding depending on your work ethics. IT will work out- projects i recommend is - new halen- for beginners- and i very much enjoy Project- Nile.

Pros

fun- plenty of opportunities-

Cons

kinda low pay- not paid fast enough-

Despiden sin motivo, no dan ninguna explicación. Tratan a los empleados como a robots, no tienen ni un ápice de humanidad

Despiden sin motivo aparente, no hay comunicación

Pros

trabajo desde casa

Cons

inestabilidad, no hay feedback, te despiden sin motivos aunque tengas buena productividad, te tratan como a un robot

Appen insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Sense of belonging

Linguist/mystery shopper

I’ve worked for Appen for a few years now. The pay isn’t great but the flexibility can’t be beat. Some projects are kind of interesting and time passes by quickly. Others are a bad combination of tricky AND boring. The mystery shopper job was cool (free stuff!) until I figured out that I paid an extra $800 in taxes because of it.

Pros

Work flexibility

Cons

Horrifyingly low pay, inconsistent hours offered

Easy job if you can follow instructions.

The job has not had a pay increase in a while but the work is on the easier side. There are helpful tools to help you learn more and do a better job. Overall a nice part-time job.

Pros

Very Flexible

Cons

No Raises

Flexible

The job was easy and flexible which was exactly what was important to me at the time. Would likely do this again as a part time gig if I was able to. Its not a career.

Appen is not a profitable source

If you're trying to make minimal income for a short period of time, while having unlimited time to work-- this might be fine. There's no way someone could make a comfortable living.

Poor compensation

The job has the flexibility to work when and wherever you like but you get paid per task not per hour. It's a big learning curve and you don't get the support you need to advance.

Fun place to work

Really fun place to work. Very flexible and lots of diversity on projects. Only con is that you will be paid monthly. Also the quizzes can be a bit challenging.

Used to be much better...

Love the flexibility of remote work, making my own hours, and managing myself/time. The pay is mediocre at best and project availability has dipped to almost nil, out if nowhere, recently. There's a total lack of communication from project managers and support takes weeks to a month to respond to a ticket. It's definitely changed a lot, over the past 2 years, progressively getting worse, and now feels pointless.

Pros

Flexible hours, no micromanagement, no commute

Cons

Pay, unreliable hours, no healthcare, lack of communication

The work is as advertised, will leave you wanting more if you're searching for a career.

Working for Appen allows a lot of flexibility while earning supplemental income. Task duties are clearly outlined and the guides are typically easy to follow. Work is repetitive and monotonous at times. There are no frills, but expectations and job duties are clearly laid out so there are no surprises.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Wages

Not too bad

Micro tasks that include data entry, social media evaluation, etc. The tasks can be very repetitive and a majority of the jobs don’t pay very well. It’s a nice job on the side, but don’t expect to get full time wages here.

Not a career but good for side hustle

Overall, a good place to work if you’re lucky enough to get a decent project. Great for people who like to work without any supervision whatsoever, and dislike talking to people. I have been with this company over five years now and have never spoke to a single person besides through email. I am happy with the work for what it is.

Good for extra income

Only get this job if you want extra pocket money! It won’t pay your bills! However the work is easy for what it is. I would recommend but not as a real career

Pros

Easy

Cons

Pay could be better

After the pandemic, they expect double the work for half the pay

I worked for Appen for a couple years before the pandemic. The pay was never great, but the work was easy enough and very flexible. There was some time spent regularly reviewing guidelines outside of work hours (this is encouraged and honestly expected) that I wouldn't get paid for, but it was only a couple hours a week and I enjoyed working for this company. After the pandemic, the systems for getting into production on any projects have gotten worse. It seems like all the project managers have been fired and replaced with people who don't speak English very well, so they often just reply with a copied block of text that isn't helpful at all. The expectations of workload have doubled (sometimes tripled depending on the project), but my pay rate was nearly cut in half. This company should only be considered if you are in an absolutely desperate situation, and even then I would advise you immediately begin looking for something better. It isn't worth your sanity to get paid slave labor rates while having to look at highly disturbing and graphic content on the clients websites.

It's fine for a quick buck

If you need a contract, this is the place but the pay is abysmal and you can be terminated on a whim. The upsides are you can work whenever, wherever, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Everything else

Used To Be A Great Side Gig

I have worked for Appen for almost four years without many issues. Yes, communication sucks because it's only email from people half way around the world, but it was nice working when I wanted during the day or make up my hours on the weekends. Recently it is has gotten worse, and I had to take down any videos recommending working them. They owe me four months of pay, and after jumping through all their hoops, they have stopped responding. I have been blocked from their chat platform and now have no way of receiving help. My only option is to pursue legal action if I ever want to see my hard-earned pay. Just stay away from this headache of a company! Also, I just found out they had a data breach a while back, and I was never informed...

Fun place to work

Good company to work for, always fun projects , daTa collection, data entry, web search .Projecs by hour takes long time to be approved for but worth it

Remote and flexible but not worth the pay

The work is monotonous and the pay is ridiculously low - with the rising cost of living across the US, the pay rates should have been adjusted. This was one of the earlier remote work jobs but with so much more available now, I don't see how they can compete with those wages. Also, there is no management interaction and you will not be able to provide a job reference after leaving.

Customer service

Its a good job but its the deposits that takes forever. They kept on asking other questiones too but its a good job though. Really flexible too good job

Flexible schedules but low pay

The idea of choosing a project or job with a flexible schedule is nice but the pay is very low on these jobs. This is somewhere you work for side income not to pay your rent or major bills. Time consuming and cheap payouts.

Pros

Freedom to choose your projects

Cons

Low pay

No help at all, no email replies, low pay

There is literally nothing more frustrating than having no help at all, you can send an email and a week up to a month will go by and still no reply. Pay is so low for the type of commitment you have to put into this. Getting frustrated from the automatic emails you get about being kicked out of appen because youre not achieving business grade is ridiculous. You can't ask a question or get actual help just some guidelines that don't have all the answers at all....for the pay people will not commit to this. The guidelines are stressful and when you're doing tasks you are timed and have to pretty much rush through it while thinking to yourself "will they kick me next week if I'm below average?"

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Hard, no communication, no help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss