Appen
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Appen Employee Reviews

United States572 reviews

projectevaluatorremoteflexibleemailmediumincomeguideline

Good for people who need flexibility

Appen only hires independent contractors, so you will not be an employee with benefits. Everything at Appen depends on which project you are working on. Some are very well organized, with good management and communication. Some are horribly managed with no communication. Some (especially linguistics projects) pay very well, but most do not. The average project in the U.S. seems to pay around $9/hour. Appen is great for people who need to work from home and set their own hours. Most long-term projects require 20 hours a week done at your convenience. Most projects are relatively simple to do but require you to pass a test to show that you understand the guidelines given.

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule, some projects pay well

Cons

No benefits, most projects have low pay, a lot of projects are short-term

What is the best part of working at the company?Very low payment for alot of work and following many preccedures! I wouldn't recommend the company.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There is no management no supervisors .What is the work environment and culture like at the company?0 culture .all online with no supportWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Not worth it to give them even one star but I have to help others to make right decisions before following this company.

Appen insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Sense of belonging

Great, choose your own hours

Good job, you get to choose your own hours and they always have different projects that come up, the only issue is really the pay, mostly minimum wage for most projects.

Pays too little

Confusing work. Pays too little and independent contractor taxes end up eating a big chunk of that already small pay. I got my contract terminated for no reason with now warning.

Data analyst appen

Its a good company for a remote work and additional Money The payement was good and the stuff was profitionnal tooThe salary depend on the role that you occupate

Not as main source of income

This job is not meant to be for those that will need it as their only source of income. Work is not guaranteed and the pay is very low compared to other similar companies.

Ok for a side hustle.

The company was great to work for when they were Leapforce. Since then, the work availability is pretty sketchy. It has great flexibility, but getting onto projects is a slow process. It's good as a side hustle, but not if you're looking for steady income.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No reliability in terms of available work.

Not what they seem

While I admit that there was a point that I really enjoyed this job, it is not secure and doesn't even pay minimum wage. Things will seem fine for a while, but then they will drop projects without communication or real reason. I never even knew if I actually HAD a manager while working here. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

sudden pay decreases, harassment, poor management, no communication

Flexible work schedule, fully remote, and interesting tasks

It is difficult to use their process for reporting work and for accessing available tasks. Training for the tasks is demanding, but if you pass the test it is an interesting job. You can actually make a difference in solving problems with applications so it feels like your work matters. The work is completely remote.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Difficulty using their site

Schedule flexibility

Pay could've been better at the time I did it. Would've been nice to be able to get more hours but nice that you had some flexibility when you could work.

low pay, zero job security

Zero job security. They will let you go even if your metrics are good, with no warning. It does no good to submit a ticket for help with an issue. They give the same copy and paste response to most tickets and then close them out after marking them resolved.

Pros

flexible

Cons

unreliable

Good when projects available

Lengthy process to get into projects, if ever even accepted. Almost impossible to get accepted into projects nowadays and very long turn around time for pay.

Looks like a good part time

I just got selected for one of their projects but taking too long to actually start. Selection process was quick and easy for this project but taking too long for others.. If they Pay what they say, it's actually good money for the time and work that I'm going to do...

Horrible project management

The work itself is easy enough but the project managers were so incompetent it made communication difficult. If you’re desperate for work it’s fine to hold you over until you find something stable.

It's aight

Easy work, but low pay. Not much job security so try to have more than one project. I would reccomend this as a part time job. Theres a lot of flexibility too. I can work anytime I want. There's usually an hour limit for the day/week.

Can't make a career out of it.

Not a place to make a true living, there is no guaranteed work, it is very rare to get selected for one of their gigs, and there seems to be no way to really know what to do to get selected for these positions.

Pros

Work whenever you want.

Cons

Job selection is sketchy at best.

BAD -- just REALLY BAD

Started September 2022. Kept getting offered project after project after project. Would apply to these offered projects and take the quizzes to be accepted, only to be told more or less: "Um, yeah, we MIGHT let you work this one. We'll let you know." Out of 18 offered projects, I was only able to work ONE. It was only for social media evaluation, but it wasn't hourly. It was just a questionnaire task. It took about 15 minutes, and you could only do it once every two weeks at 5 bucks a pop. Today, almost exactly two months after signing on with them, I get an email telling me my contract has been terminated. No reason given and no explanation. But I kept getting offers for new projects AFTER receiving the termination email. So, I messaged them about it; and all they did was repeat the termination email: "Your contract has been terminated. Good luck." Worst company I ever had the misfortune of working for. . . or doing "tasks" for, I should say.

Pros

The few tasks I did were easy. That's about it.

Cons

Flexible hours working gigs but work availability is abysmal

Having flexible hours and working remotely is nice. However, there is no sense of community and you have no 'manager' for the gigs I worked. I was never directly put in touch with a human for a single project that I worked on. Not even training or onboarding. I can't speak for W2 positions but the contract work pay is abysmal and you will never feel valued or even noticed as a worker.

Pros

Flexible hours, Remote Work depending on the project

Cons

Very low work availability on many gigs, contract work, slave wages

Buen trabajo, horrible follow up y soporte

Es un buen trabajo, desgraciadamente al ser freelancer pueden botarte cuando sea

Great job for sahm

Worked here for 7 years. Rating positions are difficult to come by, but once you reach auditor, work is more steady. I like that it was very flexible and I could put my home life first.

Remote work with self-managed project which is interesting and has room to grow

I am working with machine learning projects which are fun. The fundamental research part is limited, just about implementing existing approaches, and the boundary between the research scientist and ML engineer for product development is unclear.

Pros

Remote work, flexible time, friendly team members

Cons

company vision unclear, may be stressful due to project short-time planning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss