Appen
Coronavirus update

Appen Pay & Benefits reviews

United States323 reviews
Flexibility
The pay isnt very competitive but the work is simple. Sometimes the work can be monotonous but the ability to make extra cash from home working anytime of the day is nice.
Okay
Okay place to work. Remote. Good pay when i was working for the company. Easy work. Need to oass assessments. Assessments are not difficult to pass. Good place to work.
Perfect for Home Life
This company gives you great opportunities to work from home on your own hours. It's perfect for those who need extra money or who isn't able to work outside their home.
Remote work with flexible time slots.
I have experienced very well work and life balance working at Appen. They provide remote work with 100% flexible time slots. However, they take a bit long time reviewing the application.
Appen
Great for a side hustle. Paid 9 per hour to be on Instagram. Can’t tell you exactly what I did. You have to take a quiz to get on a project. You can work as many projects as you like.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Woke up and dropped from project
Do not leave your full-time job. If you can get on, it's great for supplemental income. I loved the work. It was very interesting. Many have been cut at the drop of a hat without warning though.
It's an ok side gig
Don't work for appen if it is your only source of income or if you really rely on the money. Somethimes they keep you busy but at times there are nothing to do. Thet are slow to help out if you have any issues.
Time consuming, mentally demanding, unfair compensation.
Time consuming, mentally demanding, unfair/low compensation. Found no opportunity for advancement and increased pay. Were largely disorganized and sloppy on details and materials, but have improved in last year. Runs out of online posts to rate(?!) regularly that lessens your monthly income, but better lately.

Best as a temporary filler for stepping up asap.
Sustainable work
A great company where there is room for advanced jobs with required learning and commitment. Very satisfied with workload, pay, and flexible schedule that you tailor to your needs.
Pros
Flexible hours, remote work
This isn't a job you want if you can do anything else.
This job is good for people who can't afford childcare, and those who are disabled but not enough to get disability. I would not recommend this to anyone who has other options. The work is repetitive and mind numbing and would sucking.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, no job satisfaction
Very flexible hours, but the cons outweigh the pros
I've been an independent consultant with Appen since 2015. I love the flexibility to work remotely from anywhere I have an internet connection. However there is no potential for advancement, no guaranteed employment, no benefits, and the pay is barely above minimum wage and only part time hours. A project can end out of nowhere and you're just out of luck. They try to place you in another project but it still takes a long while and the pay also differs depending on the project. Working with Appen has made me passionate to never take contract work again, because overall, it is not worth it.
Hours flexibility is the most prominent feature.
It is a great company to work for supplemental income. Most projects allow much flexibility in hours and days worked. You can work anywhere in the USA as long as you use your personal computer. There are many materials to assist you.
The pay may not be the greatest. You are hired as a contracted consultant and not an employee.
No benefits are provided.
If you are in-between jobs, a student, stay at home parent, retiree or just need additional income I would recommend Appen for you.
Evaluator, Researcher and Rater
Pros: Legitimate company. Several ongoing and new projects frequently. Work from anywhere. Choose your hours. Work multiple projects.

Cons: project work flows inconsistent.
Delayed support, tech errors which prevent ability to work, poor communication, low pay, contract 1099 without benefits.
Self motivated, Boring and no advancement opportunities.
The job is very boring and the pay never changes. I have been making he same amount for the last 3 years. There is no advancements opportunities in this job.
great work from home opportunity
I started with Appen to earn extra income as a stay-at-home parent. I advanced quickly and received a raise after 6 months. The hours were flexible and the work was interesting - albeit not especially challenging. The training, like the compensation, were adequate. There were ample opportunities to communicate with managers and coworkers, so I felt like I was part of a team.
Good job work at your own pace.
Good at home job for extra cash. Working at home is a was one of the good benefits to me. Get paid every two weeks and paid on time. This job is 4 hours a day 5 days a week
Very flexible but not a career
I have worked for Appen for over a year now and it does have it's ups and downs.

Qualification

To qualify for a project, you do have to pass a quiz. USUALLY, the quizzes are not that difficult. However, some are more so than others. You are not paid for the quizzes, but just like difficulty, time consumption varies per quiz.

Projects

Getting assigned to a new project is sometimes lengthy and stressful. However, you can sign up to qualify for as many projects as you want. As long as you qualify, they will contact you as soon as the project starts. There have been times I have not been able to access the work queue. Sometimes the problem is resolved quickly and, sometimes it takes a few emails. Yes, it can be aggravating. That being said, I have encountered the same in a traditional position. Eventually it does get resolved. I've never had a project run out of work before my issue was resolved. Additionally, projects can end suddenly.
Do not prepare to use this as a salary position unless you are willing to take on 3-4 projects at a time. Most projects do limit you to 20 hours a week. Though, that is not always the case and even those projects sometimes to offer "overtime".

I could not tell you the name of my managers for any given project save one (and I will touch on that in a minute). I do get regular emails from the "support team" that range from what you can tell are mass emails to a personal email regarding my production (these are still signed "support team").

Being removed from a project

The only real problem I ever had was working on one
 - more...
WARNING! This company is a scam!
A year ago I did work for Appen for a voice job. When I needed some more work I did decide to start searching for work at the APPEN website. Enough things to do. So I did sign in for some small projects which I actually did.
My wife also needed to have some extra work, so I did sign her up too. That's where the issues did start. I did see that her profile had much more options. In my own profile I can not invoice them, I can get work but I can do nothing for invoicing. When mailing them, they get annoyed after 2 weeks that I mail them again if they do not reply in 24 - 48 hours (which is a reasonable timeframe to get an answer).

Are you located in ASIA?
Your salary will be 4 times lower than someone from Europe (yup! I can proof that to you!). So you can imagine it is not interesting for an Asian person to work here in the first place.
Today I received an e-mail that I have never worked for them, so they don't have to pay me anything. SAY WHAT? I did do several (small) projects and now they are trying to scam me??? WHATS THIS?
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Totally Remote Independent Contractor
As an independent contractor, I am allowed more flexible hours and days. Little training is provided and none of that is paid. There are multiple grey areas where one is left with insufficient or misleading information.
Highly flexible and reasonable pay
This is a great job to start off with and/or keep as another source of income. Though it is a great supplement, it is not highly reliable; however, there are always other work opportunities offered by Appen. This company provides an incredibly flexible schedule, and reasonable pay for the work that is done. Overall, I do recommend this company for anyone, such as students, part-timers, stay-at-home parents, etc.
They paid half the rate for a job done
They paid half the rate for a job done with no explanation, but the payout took longer than the first one, as if they were thinking about this. When I went back, the job is still advertised as double the rate.