Appen

Clear
2.9Pay & Benefits

Appen insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Sense of belonging

Okay Option if You Need Remote Work

Appen is an okay place to work if you need part time flexible work. The work is not taxing, but it can be tedious. The compensation is low for the industry and you are not paid for time while you are waiting for jobs to become available. There were times I would spend hours waiting to do a 10 minute task, so be aware that you will only be paid for the 10 minutes. It was not a bad gig for a college student without a car, but now that I have a degree no pay increase or additional projects were offered.

Pros

Remote Work

Cons

Questionable Paying Policies

Don’t count on this company as your primary source of income

I was very excited to work for this company. I used to work for them about 3 years ago and thought I’d give it another go. So far I’ve worked on several different projects doing different things for each. In my opinion they’ve gone downhill. For the majority of the projects it’s almost impossible to get any assistance. You can send multiple emails and nobody ever responds. If there’s a problem with your work, you don’t get any feedback, they just kick you off the project without warning. When projects open up, they let you apply and get accepted, and then it can take up to a month to hear back from anyone. By that time, you might get another email stating the project roster is full; thanks but no thanks. If you’re willing to work for pennies in the US, go for it. In my opinion, this company might be worth it for someone living in a third world country. Having said that, if you’re lucky, you might actually get a project where the project leads actually care, and will communicate with you and keep you informed on what’s going on. If you’re lucky. There is a company chat room for the employees. You’re more likely to get help there than from a supervisor. Some projects require a degree, others don’t. The pay varies from project to project. Overall it’s close to minimum wage. Some projects require you to study their materials and pass a test. Some are more difficult than others. My advice is to study for the tests. Everyone must sign a NDA. My advice is not to count on this company as your primary source of income.

Pros

Working from home, no set schedule; you can work at any time of day or night

Cons

No benefits, no job security, no communication with most supervisors, you’re on your own, long periods of waiting for work to become available

Évaluation

Une entreprise très bien entretenue avec l'homme de ma candidature pour le retard de paiement pour ça

Pros

Gratuité des repas

Cons

Banale

Appen is prima werkgever voor thuiswerk in deeltijd zonder stress van telefoonwerk

Appen is intermediair op het brede gebied van dataverzameling en - bewerking, en heeft daartoe veel interessante projecten.

Pros

Flexibele werktijden, geen stress, redelijke verdiensten

Cons

Soms enigzins moeilijke projecten bijvoorbeeld op gebied van web rating

Something to do

If you want some extra money and don't mind minimum wage it's definitely something to do. It can be a nuisance accounting for your hours or them approving your feedback(no matter how detailed it is) to get paid. The site also doesn't have enough postings that are consistent.

Pros

Flexibilty

Cons

Pay, Postings

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Not a stable job

I once made more than $1500 in less than half a month but as always with Appen projects, the data dwindled down and i wasn’t able to make much anymore. New or lesser known Appen projects usually end within a few months and that leaves you without a job (except long term projects like Yukon). Definitely wouldn’t consider doing this full time, but its a good side income.

Pros

Quick buck

Cons

Short term projects

Good work during covid; not full time.

All work that I've encountered for Appen is strictly independent contractor stuff. You absolutely must be able to work on your own, set your own schedule, and figure it out for yourself. If you have questions or concerns about your work, managers available via email (tickets) but you may have to wait for a response. They also have a chat board that can be helpful. The best part about the job is that you work from home whenever you want to work - so long as you get close to the required weekly hours (which is always part-time). They also pay pretty quickly by direct deposit, normally about 12 days into the next month.

Pros

Work from home, when you want to. Most jobs are fun.

Cons

You're totally on your own with no benefits, vacation, sick pay, etc. No work, no pay.

boring

boring place and low low income, its hard work and very tedious and long hours and feels like a scam , there is no incentive and you get 1 cent for every task so you haev to do about a thousand tasks to make lunch money

A flexible work from home company

It's a decent place to work from home, especially if you qualify for a good project. However, be prepared - you can work for them for years, and they will suddenly terminate your contract with no explanation.Also, appen support hardly ever, ever replies, so if you have some issue - good luck, you're probably on your own for a while

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay

Cons

Abrupt termination, no response from managers etc

The job is remote and you can work when you want.

The summary says it all. The job is remote and you can work when you want as long as you meet minimum hours per week. Quality metrics can be stressful.

Pros

Remote, Flexible work schedule, Paycheck

Cons

You're just a number, No room for advancement

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Appen?

Not enough work

I love that you can work from anywhere in the world but you're lucky of you qualify for a decent project. My first project was fair pay and decent hours however the last few projects the pay has been severely low and when I do qualify for a new job there isn't enough hours.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Not enough hours, low pay.

Flex Gigs

Flexible side gigs...it’s remote and doesn’t require much. Quick easy pay. The work was easy and the gigs were consistent. I liked the work. If you need a. Quick side job this is the place!

Low pay and poor job security, but ultimate flexible hours

This job pays practically nothing and has no job security whatsoever, but when you are in a desperate situation, it will pay some of the bills. I have never seen or spoken to a single person at Appen. This would be a good college job or a job where you have need to make your own hours.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Cons

Low pay, no job security

Fascinating work, tragically low pay

The effort and work that goes in to my job is worth much more money than they are willing to provide. Advancement opportunities hardly exist. There is a lot of stress being exposed to some of the social media materials.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Terrible pay, very robotic

Low pay, but it is flexible

The positives: can work from anywhere within your country, flexible (you can work any time of the day) and you can work from home. Also some of the support staff is great.Negatives:Low pay, hours are not guaranteed, they hire too many people for a project, even though support staff is great there are no managers to support you.

Pros

work from home

Cons

low pay

Flexible work environment with the ability to work remotely

Working at Appen Global was a good experience. I am not allowed to give too much specific information due to the contract I signed with the company so I will just say that my main responsibility was viewing material online and writing reviews about that specific material. Appen Global was a great way to supplement my income as a part-time position, but it definitely was not enough to pay major bills like rent. It was nice being able to work remotely, whenever I wanted, and the management was willing to work with you if you needed accommodations for anything.

Pros

I liked that I could set my own hours (flexible work schedule), decent pay for the work you had to complete

Cons

Payment was monthly instead of bi-weekly, work could be repetitive which could get boring, only could work a set amount of hours so it wasn't income that could pay major bills like rent

Flexible & Good Company to Work For

Appen is a good company to work for if you need flexibility. I've been working here since 2018 and have enjoyed every project. They always pay on time and I've only had good experiences.

Opportunities

There are many opportunities available. I do believe there is an ability for growth even though compensation seems low for the skill set required for certain projects.

Cons

Compensation under skill set required for tasks

Great

Easy company to work for and to do work for. Great opportunities and they pay decent amounts. Fun job as well and you work remotely at home. Probably best job ever.

A Good Company for Freelancer

The company has a very good management overall and all the instruction is clear. Working here helps me improve my analytical skill. Working in appen let me enjoy my free time. I get to work anywhere and everywhere i want. There is no hard part and the enjoyable part is where you can work from home. They paid me on time and the salary is enough for me.

Flexible but harder to get jobs now

I appreciated this job because of the flexibility of hours. It has now become quite difficult to get jobs. Perhaps it’s saturated? You won’t become rich but I never had issues with getting paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Appen with