Applebee's Employee Reviews

Productive but great environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed the job just no benefits after so long and no raise after working with them 5years. Great environment to work in and no long days. Simple menu and great guest who come in.
It’s a struggle to live most times.
Neighborhood Expert (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCAugust 13, 2018
I wasted too many years of my life here hoping to advance . I struggled so hard when I worked here. It cut throat to get hours. I was promised so many things and watched as people who didn’t deserve them get them before me.
Good times had to move
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 13, 2018
I loved this job, but gave it up to marry and move to Lansing. They paid overtime for management if we worked over our 40 hours a week, which is odd for a salaried position.
Hectic but always something to do
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 13, 2018
Working in a restaurant that is near a huge university always is busy. It is a very face paced job. Management is everything in these jobs. I saw a lot of unprofessionalism here from management. I would see the management emotionaly hurt their severs and that was very hard to see. Id see a server come in late and they were quick to write them up. since I was good at cleaning I became the restroom cleaner and I’d be the one they told to clean up bodily fluids. Mind you it’s a bar too, so yeah. You can make good money if you are dedicated. They hire people under 19 to host and once you are 19 they do allow you to move ahead. However you are stuck in certain positions for months before you do move up. If you are there years you can become a key holder which is basically a manager that is also a server so they get paid less than the manager but handle any issues while manager is busy.
Pros
Face paced, get to meet new people and build on your resume
Cons
If there’s bad management anywhere employees will seek other employment
Very Family Oriented
Server, Bartender, FOH trainer (Current Employee) –  Inverness, FLAugust 12, 2018
I've enjoyed my employment with Applebee's. They've always worked with my scheduling, around my schooling and family events. I started as a new server, was able to transition to a bartender for the last 17 years and became a Front of the House trainer and experienced a lot in the hospitality field working with them.
The staff becomes family
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 12, 2018
At Applebee’s I was just a hostess, but I became apart of the family amongst the servers and the management. Everyone looks out for you and you know you’ll always have someone to rely on.
Pros
Discounts
chill environment but late hours
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAAugust 12, 2018
customers can be a little pushy but its over all an easy job. hosts also help run food and drinks, bus tables and do dishes so if you just wanna stand around and look pretty this is not the location for you.
Pros
discounts on food when working
Cons
no real benefis offered and only part time
Stressful but rewarding
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ephrata, PAAugust 12, 2018
Fast paced and little room for error
But if u can function in that environment you will succeed, little to no breaks, and the blame game is abundant, but the pay is suitable for the area
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short to no breaks
Closing Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
They demand a lot via sales, but if you have been a server or come up through their ranks then you are prepared for it. Alcohol sales and surveys are a must and they push that.
Love working here
EXPERT SERVER (Current Employee) –  Ludington, MIAugust 12, 2018
Working for this company has been great. When I need it they work with me for time off and when your in need this company has your back. My management is a great team.
Trash place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TxAugust 11, 2018
I loved my coworkers but the management was a joke. Do not work at the Kyle location. They don’t care about anyone that works there and will over work u to the ground
Pros
Friends
Cons
Management, barely any discount
It was a fun working environment until you try to move upwards in your company.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOAugust 11, 2018
While happy at first, I have worked as hard as possible and to the best of my ability according to my general manager. However, i am stuck pulling the weight of another salaried manager and I reap no benefits from it. They underpaid me for two years and didn’t offer to repay me the lost wages. I have no way to take time off if there is an emergency. No vacation days. No guidance.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Healthcare; no time off; no paid leave
terrible
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 11, 2018
i worked as a line cook for 8 months and everyday the kitchen was a mess and the lines were hardly ever stocked. The waitstaff would be frustrated from lack of tips and managers were constantly having to comp meals which led to low profits and ultimately closing down of the restaurant.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
everything else
Horrible Management and Hours
Server (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYAugust 11, 2018
You are not guaranteed any set hours, the pay is very low and you rely on tips a lot. The management is not all on the same page so there are conflicting rules. The people who work here are among the sweetest I've ever met and I would work with them again in a heartbeat.
Applebee's
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCAugust 11, 2018
Typical food service. Waited tables, tended bar, and expedited food from kitchen to servers.
Competent Management.
Flexible scheduling.
Friendly co-workers.
Good place to learn about different dishes.
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY 14623August 11, 2018
It's a good job to start and move up in the ladder a lot of good chefs work there I've had the pleasure to work with them. Iearn alot and will recommend any Patrick Chef to give it a try and work at Applebee's you will not regret it.
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Different Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Taylor, TXAugust 11, 2018
Can be very interesting at times. Management is decent. Fast paced when busy and slow paced when slow. Coworkers can be friendly but can be mean and very lazy.
Did not like it
Server (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXAugust 11, 2018
It was a very low paying job with rude workers. At one point a person at my job kept tenting to physically hurt me and management did nothing about it. I also felt there was no direction from management.
Cons
bad company cultule
A great chance or second chance at a career based job
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 10, 2018
Is a interesting job environment. You can advance, and you have a opportunity for benefits. The work is fast paced and competitive. Staff are professional and helpful.
Pros
Timely raises, benefits, flexible work schedule
Cons
can't work front and back of house
Wow
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLAugust 10, 2018
This was my first serving job. Taught me so much of the fundamentals of service, upselling and fast pace efficiency. The manager was very open and helpful. Great communication within staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applebee's. Our community is ready to answer.

53K
43.1K
32.8K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

60out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Applebee's.