Appleton Learning Employee Reviews

Flexible Schedule
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 29, 2018
Flexible Schedule but not steady or guaranteed as a Substitute.
Long Term positions are more reliable but scarce.
Workplace Culture is the school system, so its always a little unpredictable.
Most enjoyable part is getting to know the students.
Least Enjoyable is when you get a bad batch for a class.
Great Company to Work for?
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 19, 2018
I love working for this company and the schedule is amazing only during school hours. It does hurt a little bit when you are off of work because unlike the teachers you will not get paid for time missed due to weather, accidents, etc. Also, I didn't care for the fact that you have to fight for postilions when you become a sub for them. I never had an issue with work when I was on contract until I lost that contract.
Daunting yet Rewarding
Special Needs Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 16, 2018
Appleton serves as a contractor for Huntsville City School System to provide instructional assistants to various schools. I was placed at Rolling Hills Elementary School. A typical day at work is unpredictable, but I would have to say that this is why I like it. There are never two days that are like. Helping children with special needs is daunting as well as enjoyable. Knowing that I am helping a child function and learn is rewarding.
Pros
Free Weekends
Cons
Physical labor
horrible
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 11, 2018
This company is trash. I would never ever recommend anyone working here. I honestly don't see how they are still up and running. If you had t choose between working here and being homeless choose being homeless.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great job to hold if you are a retired teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 1, 2018
You get to work with great teachers and administration. Kids are also wonderful to work with. If you are not an education major or a parent you are left in the dark as to how schools operate.
Pros
Seeing students eyes light up when you help them connect with new knowledge
Cons
Never have the same class
Working with children is great if thats your passion
Lead Afterschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 10, 2017
This was the best part time job I ever had. Pay and hours are great for part time employment too. You don't get paid when school is out for holidays and breaks.
Pros
Work with children
Cons
No pay when school is out.
Fun and Interested place to work
Collaborative Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 6, 2017
I worked with students with intellectual disabilities. While working there, I was able to learn about the side effects to different disabilities. I provided direct care to some students because they were unable to feed and go to the bathroom by themselves. I gained patience while working with those students.
Great Place to work
Special Education Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 26, 2017
Being able to choose your days and sometimes hours to work each week is a plus. Also, getting paid weekly is a blessing. Appleton Learning will help you with problems relating to any problems that you may have while teaching at the assigned school for that day, week or period.
wonderful workplace
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 22, 2017
Appleton Learning is a great place to work! Flexible hours, reasonable pay, and amazing people. I learned how to manage my time. It is very relaxed because I made my own schedule.
productive work place
TEACHERS AIDE (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 13, 2017
okay place to get your feet in the door. only can get 6.75 hrs a day. do have benefits but come out your check every week. sub jobs get pick up quick when it sent out. when school is out you get no pay.
It's okay for a parttime job
Professional Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 21, 2017
Pros
You can choose your work days.
Cons
Not enough money & no benefits!
Very little supervision and limited accessibility.
Special Education Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Sparkman K8, Hartselle, AlabamaAugust 15, 2017
Appleton's upper management is fine when you can get through to them. Normally, can not simply call for assistance. One must submit a ticket and it is then assigned to someone with very limited experience and less concern.

There are no benefits and you do not get paid for holidays or sick days.

On the other hand, my experience with the school systems where I have been assigned has been very positive. My principles have all been very competent and concerned. Most have had an open door policy and strive to resolve your concerns.
Pros
Many job opportunites
Cons
No benefits. No pay for lunches, breaks, days missed, holidays. Only hours actually worked up to and not exceeding 40 hours per week, regardless of actual hours worked
Productive place to work
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 23, 2017
The job was extremely fun and i loved the people and children,bu thee management was very poor. They seem as if they don't care about the associates needs. Other than that my experience with Appleton Learning was great
Unfair
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 22, 2017
I have been with Appleton for 2 years. I was let go because Huntsville City School wanted to reduce pay and only a select few got to keep their jobs. Thankfully my husband was one of the lucky few to keep their jobs. it is now two weeks away from the school year to start and here i am looking for another job. No job security at all. This is extremely unfair to those who depend on this salary.
Pros
i got to work with kids
Cons
no benefits, one 30 minute break, no job security
Great company that has led me to pursue a career in teaching.
Instructional Support Aide/ Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Pelham, ALMay 24, 2017
I love being able to work in schools and help children. I started at Appteton as a substitute but after 3 months was moved to a full time paraprofessional position. I have been with Appleton fro 2 years while working on my Master's Degree. Working through Appleton has helped me make connections that I know one day will help me get a Teaching job, and prepare me for life in a classroom. I recommend all future teachers to try to work with Appleton to get real life teaching experiences while in school.
Started Good. Ended on a bad note
Special Education/Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 16, 2017
Appleton is a good idea. If you're comfortable working with special needs children or need experience working on a social sciences degree I'd certainly recommend working for Appleton. You can work in a sub pool and have a flexible schedule and if the administration likes your work you can get picked up for a full time job. The pay is ok (above 10.00 an hour) but there is no work or pay when school is out, it's a temp service for special education.

I thought I'd built a good rapport with Appleton and was told when I'd resigned (with a letter and everything) that I could return to the sub pool when my circumstances changed. Unfortunately, this was not the case. For some reason I've been made ineligible for rehire and no one at Appleton will give me a straight explanation. I'm a highly qualified individual who feels at home in a special education classroom, working on my M.S in Behavioral Psychology, with experience working direct care in an adolescent mental health facility, yet for some reason they will not allow me to use my talents here in Selma, AL. Even though they need help, I've been given the run around and no reason other than that they changed their policy and you have to work 2 days every so often. It used to be a great form of supplemental income for someone already working full time with kids but now I guess they expect you to dedicate all of your time to the possibility that there will be an opening (because subs aren't always needed) and the fact that you are basically laid off 6 months out of the year with no benefits. I'm still trying to find out what happened
  more... and why I'm "ineligible" for re-hire. Up until all of this nonsense I really enjoyed and respected this company.  less
Pros
getting your foot in the door of a school system/experience
Cons
getting your foot in is as far as you get, there are no promotions or actual city school jobs if they already contract through appleton
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 15, 2017
Assist classroom teacher in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking specialized tasks to achieve and enhance instructional and behavioral objectives.  Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.  Assist with behavior modification as assigned by teacher.  Lift, move, and operate adaptive equipment.  Assist students with personal care tasks, including but not limited to, lavatory, clothing, hygiene, diapering, toileting, and wash-up routines.  Escort students as assigned by teacher or administrator.  Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.  Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment  Provide programmed practice activities and repetitions as developed by teacher, therapist or pathologist.  Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution.  Assist with breakfast, lunch, snack, including clean-up.  Maintain various records and files.  Perform related work as required
Pros
Flexable Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks
Good diverse job environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 15, 2017
Substitute teaching at many different shcools across Alabama. I have learned to work with special needs children and gained appreciation for all walks of life.
Great company to work for so far.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 21, 2017
Great company to work for so far. Never a dull moment. Provides experience needed to become a real educator. Very supportive team. When in trouble supporters aren't far.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
No holiday pay, insurance is not very good
Productive and always up to date.
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 12, 2017
You get to meet different faculty staffs and students from different schools. I always love to wake up in the morning to work with the children, and it is great job opportunity.