AppleTree Early Learning Public Charter School Employee Reviews

Great place of work
School Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2018
Great workplace. Plenty of opportunity for job advancement and training. Wonderful Job work-life balance. Management is great and helpful. Great ECE company
It takes a lot of patience
Childcare Staff (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 27, 2018
It was a solid job with part time hours. Too much for me at full time. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to work at a daycare as a career.
Productive, Rigorous, and fun.
Pre-k teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
Apple Tree is a data driven, and solution focused. Through this I have learned to be intentional through my teaching, center prepping, and self reflections. I have enjoyed my time at Apple Tree, I have grown tremendously as an educator. We are observed weekly, and coached as well. The culture at our campus is fun, loving, and collaborative. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching my students grow academically and socially.
Pros
Job advancement
Cons
healthcare, work balance
positive environment
Pre-Kindergarten Mentor Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2018
Overall a positive climate and good place to work. I it ver family oriented and really has great collaboration strategies for staff. I met very nice and dedicated people there over my 9 years.
good experience
Special Education Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
This LEA is a good environment to working. The organization is has a good structural model. The organization also provide with good benefits for one and their family.
Good Work Area
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cascade, MIJune 26, 2018
Appletree is a great friendly place to work for. They will work with you on right about anything. They also have great schooling programs to help better your self and in the classroom.
Decent Organization
Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2018
Enjoyed my coworkers. Long days, parents can be the hardest part to deal with.

Quick paced curriculum. Did not like the scripted curriculum. Little room for flexibility or creativity. Too much testing for 3 - 5 year olds.

Good use of community resources. Teachers truly care.
Good place, needs better pay
School Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2017
I liked working there, I just needed better pay and better management. They need to work on the partnerships more. And better management overall. But I like my coworkers.
Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 25, 2017
Great place to intern if you are starting out in the healthcare field or interested in working with small children. They allow you to learn while still maintaining a fun work environment.
Fun,
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southeast Quadrant, DCMay 10, 2017
Great place to work if you love making a difference in kids lives. They provide lots of training and data. Great place to move up in your career. I have been at this job for 5 years.
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCFebruary 25, 2017
AppleTree is a very data driven school. This has its pluses as well as its drawbacks. There are coaching supports available to teachers to help support growth in content delivery, behavior management and use of the curriculum.
I think the pay could be better.
Overall, it is a good place to work.
Pros
coaching support for teachers; very data driven;
Cons
benefits available - healthcare, vision, retirement
Fast-growing organization
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2016
This fast-growing organization is expanding a bit quickly to establish a consistent culture and understanding of roles across multiple campuses and partner organizations. There's no real encouragement for professional development amongst school/admin. student support staff. There is also very high turnover and promotes a lack of job security, almost like the wild-wild west.
Great place to work!
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2016
Appletree is a very nice place to work, particularly if you are beginning your teaching career. I do not want to rob anyone of their experience by sharing too much of mine but I will say this: you will record so much data it is not even funny. It is a research based school so it comes with the territory. They provide a LOT of training and development opportunities. It can be draining, boring, and time consuming yet beneficial; you will most likely leave with new information that will enrich your teaching strategies, but be careful not to become a "cookie cutter teacher" and lose your own teaching style/creativity. The only con that I didn't see a silver lining to is the at-will employment contract that allows rookie principals to terminate employees without valid reasoning. This is because in the back of their mind is always their own job security and not always the best interest of the students as it should be. With that said, if you are becoming a teacher and joining Appletree because you want to change the world/close the achievement gap, you will have to decide when to resist, when to compromise, and when to copulate so that you don't risk being fired and lose your opportunity to nurture children. Lastly, beginning pay will have you in poverty (unless you have teaching experience) but if you can stand to be broke a year or two, it gets better. When it gets rough just remember why you are there (to pay bills lol --and/or make a difference.) Enough of my experience, go change the world!! Best wishes!!
Pros
Positive work environment, lots of training, career advancement opportunities
Cons
at will contract, low pay for new teachers (not really a con more of an investment), lots of data entry
Loved it!
Assistant Teacher for Infants (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 1, 2016
A typical day at apple tree is changing diapers, playing with kids,teaching them new things and watching there little hearts fill with joy! I learned my passion for kids working there, it made me happy. i know that i couldn't watch myself grow up and understand what life was like that young and working there gives me that experience. Management at apple tree was awful a lot of miscommunication and an awful work environment. Co workers at apple tree were okay they came and went a lot the turn over rate is not so great there. the hardest part about my day would be nothing because i love kids which makes my day so enjoyable. YES the management and the co workers weren't that great but i was there for the kids and thats all that mattered to me! the one thing i really enjoy about working at apple tree is watching the kids grow as they get older and having that connections with the families to insure there kids are safe when there working
Pros
Watching the kids grow up
Cons
Management and workers
Great life-work balance
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
An excellent organization that promotes early childhood education. Work-life balance is, in my experience, unmatched. Many days off and holidays provided to encourage self-care and health. The work itself is important, fulfilling, and the children are the highlight of my day.
Pros
Excellent work-life balance
Cons
Not sure of any.
Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2015
Working in the educational field is awesome. Children are our number one priority and I enjoy doing all I can to make a difference.
productive and fun work space working with children
Extended Day Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2015
Once arrived at work, I am on a schedule according to apple trees academic schedule .

I learned a lot about the preschool students, and how they operate through the day. I learned how to handle each child accordingly,

My co-workers were very welcoming and exciting to be around
Cons
no benefits
My experience
Extended Day Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
I enjoyed what I did with AppleTree. I enjoyed working with parents, partners, and with the public. I was always busy and productive, which helps make the day go by fast.
Great school, not so great culture
Teaching Fellow - Early Childhood (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
Teachers are not valued, however they provide an excellent early childhood curriculum.

An unprofessional environment.
Data driven, research based curriculum
Lead Teacher/ Inclusion Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2014
I acquired so many analytical skills while teaching with Appletree. It is a very challenging teaching environment - definitely worth it once you see your student's growth!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AppleTree Early Learning Public Charter School. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

AppleTree Early Learning Public Charter School Reviews by Job Title