Applewood Centers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing organization with great work-life balance and fabulous leadership
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 6, 2018
I worked at Applewood for over 2 years and its sister company Bellefaire for nearly 7. Both agencies have outstanding leadership, growing opportunities, support for employees MH and family needs and overall work-life balance. I would recommend the agency to anyone, particularly those new in the field.
Pros
Great support and supervision balanced with autonomy to do your job, very few meetings
Cons
Can't think of any
Beware
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 11, 2018
Things are not what you are told they would be at this company. You do not have co workers that back you up. Your co-workers are ‘afraid’ of the clients.
Exhausting.
School Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 20, 2018
Management offered a dangling stick with a carrot of bonus hours. When I productivity hours required for salary base pay, my opportunity to receive bonus pay vanished. The agency gave my clients to a newer staff who was in need of base pay requirements. I was then expected to start over building a caseload at 2 schools. I was expected to do the work of 4 therapists. It was 7 days a week of paperwork. 60+ hours for less than $40,000.
Pros
Flexible day
Cons
7 days a week and no time for a personal life.
good place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 18, 2018
working with residents in health clinic. rewarding to be of assistance to young troubled teens who might want a career in medicine one day. enjoyed being a good part of their lives.
I learned so much
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 20, 2017
While working at Applewood I learned so much. I was able to work with families who had Foster or Adopted familes and see them get the well deserved help they needed.
Pros
Cons
Can't think of any
Stressful work environment
In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 5, 2017
Applewood has a lot of work opportunities and job postings. The pay was good for the position and the co-workers are amazing and supportive. When it comes to the work load, the work load is overwhelming and intense. It is hard to keep to productivity requirements when there is so much paperwork, driving, and client management responsibilities to take care of. A few weeks of this is fun and exciting, but it quickly becomes stressful and overwhelming.
Pros
Opportunity for bonuses, worker praise and acknowledgement is good.
Cons
too much driving, too much paperwork, too many clients to manage
Very important Mission - Mental and Behavioral Health of Children and Families
Executive Assistant to Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 25, 2017
Although it has a wonderful mission, there are a lot of pieces and parts that I am sure the therapist work hard to serve children and families. However, it doesn't allow for building of relationships and can be isolating.
Stressful
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 30, 2017
A typical day of work at applewood is feeding the kids playing board games school and having group watching tv going out side to play kickball basketball and other activities and breaking up fights.
Good place
Bi-Lingual Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 4, 2017
Good place to work as social work in Cleveland, Ohio. Good environment, good people to work with. Supervisor are people who like to help you and flexible
amazing co-workers, competative pay
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 7, 2017
I developed positive relationships with coworkers who were friendly and supportive.
Through positive team approach, it was possible to build relationships with clients and their family at home, school, and in the community/including court.
Management supported positive physical safety of staff.
It was so rewarding to positively make a difference in families' lives.
Pros
generous vacation time, flexable schedules, health benefits, mileage reimbursement
Cons
Paper work, burn out, high-stress situations at times
Place for professional growth
Intern (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHJune 17, 2016
A lot of training and stuff for professional growth. Good for people pusuing LISW. Also easy to get supervision hours. But because of thee payment, you can notice people come and go a lot.
Pros
good agency culture, good management, a lot of training and professional growth
Cons
a lot of driving for school-based, not so attractive payment regarding the work
Absolutely Avoid!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 26, 2015
I was let go after a month or so with no warning, they just handed me a box at the end of the day! They have TERRIBLE supervisor feedback. They promised I'd get a detailed letter with why I was let go, and I have yet to see it. They refuse to answer any questions, and they do not seem to know what they want in an employee. Beware!
Social work Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lorain County OhioMay 7, 2015
Exposed to multiple therapies including School Based, Intensive Home Based, Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Parent Management Training. Conducted mental health assessments, developed treatment plans and participated in intake procedures.
Enjoyed working with co workers.
Clerical Staff/Records (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 21, 2015
I would do filing, prepare paperwork and copies of medical charts for patient as instructed by doctors. Pull charts for next day appointments. answer phones. Do postage for mail and relieved front desk for breaks and lunches.
Pros
Stable employment for a agency doing good work in the community.
Cons
Pay was on the low end, raises were very low.
Office-based and school-based opportunities
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 16, 2015
*Flexible scheduling
*Micro-management of paperwork
*Most schools were cooperative with therapist
*Young, inexperienced staff
*Poor management
*Little to no privacy in office
Pros
School-based
Cons
Low salary
A typical day
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 26, 2014
A typical day at work is that it is never typical. Every day is different. There is always plenty of paperwork to do and it is never boring. The day flies by. I have to bring home back with me though so it is hard. However I love the families I work with and when the kids I work with make huge progress. I have learned alot about mental health assessments, writing ISP's and have had first hand social work case management experience before graduation. I could not have asked for better experience prior to graduating. I have also made some great friends with my coworkers even though we could go a week without seeing each other. THe hardest part of my job is not getting credit for driving around, not knowing when I will eat lunch everyday,dealing with difficult parents as well as hard to reach kids and the never ending paperwork. THe most enjoyable part of my job is the positive impact I get to make on the families and the kids I work with as well as the progress I see them make over the course of a year. I have also learned a lot about myself in the process, a lot about mental health and a lot about interventions to do in relation to those mental health disorders. I have also learned a lot about the systems involved such as juvenile court, children and family services, the educational aspect of a childs life, IEP's, probation as well as accessing community resources.
fun work place and great co workers
Treatment Specialist, Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 23, 2014
decent clientele. good co workers. terrible pay. costly benefits. shift work. management is very knowledgeable about clients we serve. hardest part is managing the floor on a day with short amount of staff
Pros
free meals
Cons
terrible pay
Nice place to work
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 29, 2014
Coming in contact with all types of Illnesses, the staff was okay and the hardest part about the job was coming in contact with anything when first meeting that person.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
The envirnoment
Great place to gain juvenile work experience
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 27, 2014
Great work environment to gain experience in the juvenile justice sector of the criminal justice system.
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 14, 2014
I have to say that it's a ok place to work. My co worker are great people to work with. the leadership do care about the clients.