Applied Industrial Technologies Employee Reviews

It's like working for a bunch of Mad Hatters. Curiouser and curiouser.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 4, 2018
Imagine working in a place where 2+2=3 and everything is a fake news mentality.

A typical day for a CSSR is taking calls, replying to a multitude of email requests, handling customers at the counter, constantly fighting with SAP, suffering mostly unequipped, careless, apathetic self serving management.
The system here is flawed.
Seriously.
Flawed.

The biggest carrot on the stick for bonuses is freight recovery, and coincidentally it's the hardest to attain. Purposely so.
Then of course, the elephant in the room that we can't talk about is the 110 million dollar steaming pile called SAP. They're trying to force software that wasn't built for what we do into what we do.
But never mention that hundreds of credit card transactions fail and aren't noticed until months later - of course the customer thinks it's a scam when you try to recover it. So thousands and thousands of dollars in lost credit card sales are written off, and of course affects the branch bottom line, hence your paycheck.
But we can't talk about it.
I wonder what the shareholders would think about this?
I wonder what the franchise tax board would say?
Also there's a serious 'old guy watching the other old guy's back' problem here.
Look, if you're a manager or account manager within 5 years of retirement, you're on easy street and if your bosses are also grabbing at the golden ring, you're Teflon.
Literally untouchable.
Reports? Accountability documents? Creating new business? Showing up for work? Naw... you're an old white guy and YOU ARE IN THE CLUB!
Meanwhile, everyone else in your service center
  more... is paid scraps for doing your work, and yes, you get paid for their work too because you're tagged on every account. So reap the rewards and do nothing because everyone above you is in the club and you're all washing each other's back.
When your account managers can't do their own quotes and orders and hound you to do their work on top of your daily load of calls, walk-ins, emails, warehouse duties and trying to get a lunch break, it's comforting to know your additional work is padding his or her wallet every time.
The real salt in your eye is when your dare bring up the problems; upper managers either dismiss your concerns or worse, completely ignore you.
It's run like a pyramid scheme.
Now that I think about it, it's exactly like a pyramid scheme, promises of reward and recognition and in reality the rubes at the the bottom are just feeding the upper tiers, who are always pushing for more.
They're always asking for feedback "good or bad" but rarely respond, or when they do disregard you. Too busy shopping for that new Hawaiian shirt, for the next vacation I guess.
This company is less than a shadow of what it once was. It was legendary in the industry at one time.
SAP was the beginning of the end, but the complete disregard upper management has for the grunts on the ground doing the actual work, has destroyed morale and loyalty. Then they have the cajones to turn that blame on branch managers and low level supervisors who are working alongside the pawns and replaceable trained monkeys.
So, lots of problems, "but don't talk about it".

SAP is the main tool for sales but is broken. Don't talk about it. Even customers know how tedious it is to get a simple order or quote sometimes and go elsewhere just for that reason, and that’s a fact that they refuse to accept.
(We literally have emails and memos telling us to not discuss the failure called SAP)
Morale is in flames and good experienced employees are leaving in droves - but don't talk about it.
On the other side, underperforming employees are protected by the good ol' boy code - but don't talk about it.
Philandering managers cheating with female subordinates get promoted and praised, while witnesses get demoted and sacked - but don't talk about it.

The millions spent on flawed systems and "lost" credit card sales allows only insulting .5% pay increases - but don't talk about it (because your 95k/yr manager is on another trip and unavailable anyway).
Those unrecovered dollars in countless sales written off due to a broken system... but for the love of god (and IRS audits), don't talk about it, (but I'll bet the shareholders would like to).
Good employees are leaving.
Longtime customers are leaving.
Vendors and suppliers are losing confidence and not supporting local branches.
And the new employees? On-boarding / training is non-existent and rests squarely on the shoulders of the co-workers. The available materials and "modules" are a joke, outdated and irrelevant as so many changes have been made to correct a nightmare version of SAP.
Life expectancy of new hires is shortening every year.
what we do is very specialized and you're not going to get a new hire from outside the industry that can plug-and-play. It's not going to happen, but the lack of qualified workers hasn't improved the training. That's just dumb.

Let's talk about management for a second, at least in the West. It's become apparent that there is serious lack of purpose here. There are some serious issues and the people you look to for answers and leadership are asking the grunts, "what do we do next?". Leadership is thin, micromanagement is fat.
There is no sense of urgency in branch related issues, so much so that employees are leaving rapidly and leaving literally one or two employees to handle a branch and the rapid response from management is nowhere to be found.
It's almost as if there is some plan in place to set up the remaining employees for failure and use them as scapegoats for the service center's failure, when in truth, the managers have done little to nothing to help get things back on track.
As of writing this I personally know of three service centers in California where almost every employee is actively seeking other employment.
What does that tell you?

Applied Industrial is quickly becoming a punchline amongst customers and local competitors, and for good reason.

So, if you're in to:
-Being disregarded and literally waved off when you speak to managers
-Being labeled as expendable
-Brown nosing corporate with moronic social media participation
-Working for someone else's paycheck (literally) while they bemoan their hard life
-Eating most of your lunches at your desk because taking time away for breaks is impossible or not worth the mess that can happen in a single hour of not being there
-Not being a priority when help is most needed
-Working with antiquated equipment and weak systems
-Apologizing to customers for constant service issues that are beyond your control
-Taking on manager level duties and responsibilities without the pay or title
-Having your time-off requests questioned while managers are on their second or third vacation of the year
-Stress related health issues
-Dealing with co-workers and managers that are incapable of creating orders or purchase orders on a unnecessarily complex system, yet complain that you're not pulling your weight
-Not having the same protections and carte blanche to come and go as you please, doing as little as you please because of your age, color or old boy status
-Having your very real, very serious concerns dismissed as "complaining"
-Receiving little to no training or bad training from someone that wasn't properly trained to begin with
-Being insulted with comical pay increases while the managers brag about their new toys and vacations
-Seeing upper managers have affairs with subordinates and thrive while you're urged to "not talk about it" and demoted
-Working like a trained chimp in an impossible situation where you are set-up for failure at every turn and knowing that your CEO spends his time golfing and entertaining corporate shills while collecting a five million dollar annual paycheck
...then this is the perfect place for you to squander your time and effort.

This is all true, documents are readily available to back it up and the number of employees, ex, current and heading for the door that are willing to speak up increases daily.

And if you think I sound disgruntled, then you're smart enough to head for the hills on this one.
Edit review
Jobs - Career Advice - Hiring Lab - Browse Jobs - Tools - Employer Events - About - Help Center
© 2018 Indeed - Cookies, Privacy and Terms
Pros
Breathing, mostly thinking coworkers, free water, toilet, new mousepad, better than unemployment, nice drywall to drive your fist through, an occasional free lunch.
Cons
Broken SAP system, deaf indifferent management, good ol' boy culture, questionable business ethics & financial practices, lack of inventory, laughable point of sales system, lack of opportunities, lots of empty desks to spread out on, dead-end if you don't do the Brown Nose Shuffle
not the best or worst company
SERVICE CENTER MANAGER (Current Employee) –  NYOctober 25, 2018
most of the people are OK to work with, but i have never seen a company so backwards. especially as large of a company as this, they are completely removed from reality of how the current market works. and how the competition works.
Production driven environment
Insides Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 22, 2018
Handling GE as primary account excluded me from "core" business, and products handled were exclusive to that customer. Very little in the way of management since customer is located in Hungary and ended work day at 10am our time.

Learned to read drawings and accurately quote materials in a timely fashion, as in this industry, 9/10 times whoever furnished quote fastest received the purchase order.

Customer was very demanding and constantly pulled in dates on orders, and needed to stay on top of vendors to meet these dates. Enjoyed the challenge at maintaining customer satisfaction.
No comment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2018
Pay is horrible.least paying company for all that is done for them.
Company is based on favoritism.
No overtime allowed. Unless they need you to get work done
Unfair.
They talk down on employees

Hostile work environment
Great job
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDOctober 18, 2018
I absolutely loved working here, I only left because i moved. Upper management was incredible and the company really cared for the employees. highly recommend
Not the same company it was years ago.
CSSR (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 8, 2018
Short staff always. Unreasonable expectations while manager off golfing/home polishing his personal club. Company has too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Good old boy network politically, it works unless you want to be yourself otherwise they will set your exit up. It's a big company and only as good as local management in spite of all the claims. Some nice co workers but smarter co workers walked away when Company changed. 1 Back Stabbing co worker 1 Erudite know it all co worker trying to climb ladder to be with the good old boy network Management not able to work outside of corporate box mentality coupled with local management mentality really kills moral. Company rather proud of itself.
Pros
Free Lunches when learning about new products during your lunch hour.
Cons
read review
great company to work for
Telesales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 30, 2018
handled outbound and inbound call center
product reviews and marketing follow up
catalog sales and marketing
great company to work for huge on employee recognition at the corporate level down
very high paced, can be stressful as a manager and I am SCM
Service Center Manager over two Service Centers (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NESeptember 6, 2018
A typical work day for me is usually anywhere between 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. - I'm on salary so our corporate doesn't care how many hours it takes as long as the work is done. I've got a good understanding of the SAP System. This is a very high paced job. The hardest part of my job is have to negotiate pricing for customers and get approvals from those in management above me. Most enjoyable has been that through this Job I've had the opportunity to travel to different locations to help them as the SAP System was set up in their region. Also, I've had a incredible General Manager, he keeps me calm in times of crisis/emergencies.
Pros
Some flexibility, because of the hours I work I'm able to leave early without taking vacation time. Also, sick time is not a set number of days until I go over 30 - 40 days.
Cons
Stressful working for large corporation
Poor Compensation and poor bonus structure
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAAugust 27, 2018
The account manager (salesman) gets the biggest piece of the bonus money pie, so you can't really earn a bonus check for doing your job. Upper management doesn't do anything to the saleman even though everyone complained the salesman is the primary cause of our sales growth not growing.
Applied Industrial Technologies - Excellent Place to work
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXAugust 21, 2018
Great working environment and conditions. I would have remained in my position, but layoffs occurred due to down turn in economy. The management was excellent

Want to know more about Applied Industrial Technologies?

Ask a question
Poor upper management, extemely poor customer interface software.
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 8, 2018
In my time I observed several upper management issues and more than one ethics violation. Pay is not inline with positions at similar companies. Healthcare benefits are good. Their software is far less efficient than their competitors.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
Upper management politics, company software.
Mixed Review
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, ND 58801August 1, 2018
Mixed Review about the company culture. I am not sure which direction they are headed. Training is poor. Lack of commitment to business. I am not sure how I feel.
Changing ,but not for the Good
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2018
Dixie Bearing was a great company but it went public , all the management is there to keep the stock holder's happy, the service centers are under staffed ,
A lot is asked of those that are not hourly payed
Something new each day!
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2018
I came to AIT from a competitor. It was a great change in environment. People were mostly friendly and helpful, easy to get to know. Work was manageable and you are provided with the necessary tools to do your job well.
Pros
Some perks from visiting vendors
Good place to work, room to advance
Customer Service Reprosentative (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 18, 2018
A lot of phone sales. Computer generated sales orders. Counter sales, cash sales. Working with the public was sometime trying. Too many office managers for the amount of employees.
Pros
Room to advance
Cons
Learning computer programs
Nice, somewhat laid-back environment except when workload is heavy, then fast-paced.
CSSR (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 8, 2018
I would have liked to retire from Applied. I thought I was going to but was suddenly laid off with no warning at all. They moved my position and weren't willing to move me. I received a fair severence package and was deemed re-hireable, but I felt like a criminal on the day I was laid off, again WITH NO WARNING. They watched while I gathered a few personal belongings and escorted me out of the building. Humiliating to say the least. Their actions at the end clouded my view of them.
Knowledge of products and selling techniques.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMay 30, 2018
I gained a lot of knowledge with Applied in the rock and aggregate along with food accounts. The hardest part of the job was Applied didn't treat the inside and outside personnel like they should.
Stressful and not appreciated. Not a fun place to work at.
Office Manager, Account Manager, Customer sales (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PA 17201May 27, 2018
Liked the people I worked with but no support from upper management. A typical day is answering the phones, waiting on customers at the counter. Quoting customers pricing and delivery.
The hardest part is working with SAP.
Pros
Lunch and learns which vendors put on at the service centers.
Cons
Have to work through lunch.
Good place to learn and grow.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMay 20, 2018
Good place to learn, benefits good, my managers were good people and the inside sales staff was knowledgeable and supportive... growing pains with SAP, but they got past it. I'd work for them again if the opportunity was a right.
Pros
Co-workers, quality of products they sell
Great Place to Work if fully staffed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 29, 2018
I worked at a Service Center that was shorthanded with no help from corporate to fill the positions.
Very Stressful as an Account Manager with expectations set too high to acheive
Pros
Great to be out helping customers, Health Insurance was great
Cons
Too much to do in a 8 hour day, stressful environment, very hostile at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Industrial Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight