Applied Industrial Technologies Employee Reviews

Poor upper management, extemely poor customer interface software.
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 8, 2018
In my time I observed several upper management issues and more than one ethics violation. Pay is not inline with positions at similar companies. Healthcare benefits are good. Their software is far less efficient than their competitors.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
Upper management politics, company software.
Mixed Review
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, ND 58801August 1, 2018
Mixed Review about the company culture. I am not sure which direction they are headed. Training is poor. Lack of commitment to business. I am not sure how I feel.
Something new each day!
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2018
I came to AIT from a competitor. It was a great change in environment. People were mostly friendly and helpful, easy to get to know. Work was manageable and you are provided with the necessary tools to do your job well.
Pros
Some perks from visiting vendors
Good place to work, room to advance
Customer Service Reprosentative (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 18, 2018
A lot of phone sales. Computer generated sales orders. Counter sales, cash sales. Working with the public was sometime trying. Too many office managers for the amount of employees.
Pros
Room to advance
Cons
Learning computer programs
Nice, somewhat laid-back environment except when workload is heavy, then fast-paced.
CSSR (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 8, 2018
I would have liked to retire from Applied. I thought I was going to but was suddenly laid off with no warning at all. They moved my position and weren't willing to move me. I received a fair severence package and was deemed re-hireable, but I felt like a criminal on the day I was laid off, again WITH NO WARNING. They watched while I gathered a few personal belongings and escorted me out of the building. Humiliating to say the least. Their actions at the end clouded my view of them.
Knowledge of products and selling techniques.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMay 30, 2018
I gained a lot of knowledge with Applied in the rock and aggregate along with food accounts. The hardest part of the job was Applied didn't treat the inside and outside personnel like they should.
Stressful and not appreciated. Not a fun place to work at.
Office Manager, Account Manager, Customer sales (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PA 17201May 27, 2018
Liked the people I worked with but no support from upper management. A typical day is answering the phones, waiting on customers at the counter. Quoting customers pricing and delivery.
The hardest part is working with SAP.
Pros
Lunch and learns which vendors put on at the service centers.
Cons
Have to work through lunch.
Good place to learn and grow.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMay 20, 2018
Good place to learn, benefits good, my managers were good people and the inside sales staff was knowledgeable and supportive... growing pains with SAP, but they got past it. I'd work for them again if the opportunity was a right.
Pros
Co-workers, quality of products they sell
Great Place to Work if fully staffed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 29, 2018
I worked at a Service Center that was shorthanded with no help from corporate to fill the positions.
Very Stressful as an Account Manager with expectations set too high to acheive
Pros
Great to be out helping customers, Health Insurance was great
Cons
Too much to do in a 8 hour day, stressful environment, very hostile at times
Poor Upper Management
Customer Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 26, 2018
Location I worked at had great people. Upper management made terrible decisions. Instead of taking care of your major customers they focused way to much on brining in way to many small fish. Major customers became agitated and bought less. Not a very good business model set in place. Compensation for the work you do it no where near what it should be.
Overall good company
Service Center Manager (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAApril 19, 2018
Overall good company to work for but the compensation is a hit or miss depending where you work. Good benefits and good culture. A little bit old school and not technology friendly.
Inside Sales (CSSR) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 11, 2018
A good place to work. Good pay for the job requirements as well as good insurance and benefits. Some times fast paced and multi-tasking is required but overall more of a regular routine. Even though I say routine, the job is not the same ole' same ole' every day. Some days are more challenging than others and makes it interesting.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short handed
Great place to work!
Corporate Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 30, 2018
It's been just over a year and half since I have joined Applied Industrial and the company and the culture have been exactly what I had hoped for.
There is a lot of work to be done and I am enjoying being part of a collaborative culture where we can get a lot accomplished.
Not bad. It could be better could be worse.
A do a bit here and there (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYMarch 29, 2018
The guy below me is a crybaby snitch. His job is easy. He is just lazy. I'm sure his next employer will be thrilled to have him aboard. His pedo stache kinda freaks us out.
Pros
Hour lunches
Very stressful for the amount of compensation offered.
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2018
Nationally Applied is in a position to dominate in its space. In Chicago and the surrounding area they have a struggle on their hands as competitive forces tend to have a deleterious affect on the quality of the decision making process.

Organic growth is constrained company wide and the reasons become apparent to anyone either in the stream or wake of the decision making process.
Over reliance on technological fixes to overcome deficiencies in high quality decision making leaves a gaping maw between the business plan and the subsequent results of that plan. Execution of the plan is what suffers.
Typical CS experience but a company that undervalues employees
Customer Service and Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2018
Typical day was spent processing orders, quotes, creating PO's, talking to customers at the sales counter and working on any delegated projects.

Management unfortunately wasn't concerned with helping their employees grow and there is very little room to advance. The infrastructure here is built around the idea of working 10-20 years before a single advancement, but without the typical incentive of pension or time vested. Very much a "good old boys" company in how they approach business and with handling of employees.

Does not feel like you work for an industry leader but rather a dinosaur that can't keep up with the times.
Pros
Slow pace
Cons
See review
if you want hard work for littie pay
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYMarch 26, 2018
pay increases are once a year and no more than 3% .
management likes to give 1%pay raises to employees once a year
if you work over they will change your time so they do not pay over-time pay
Pros
you have a job that does not care about safety
Cons
it is a big con
Old School Company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 21, 2018
This company lacks innovation. Easy job with little pay. Older system/website make it challenging to excel in very competitive industry. LIttle room for growth.
Short Run No Fun
Customer Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 6, 2018
Was with Applied for over one year as a sales and service rep. Great entry level position to build experience in sales and customer service. The company overall is pretty good with several great benefits and learning experiences.

This branch is very busy and consists of a lot of unreal expectations and is a sell, sell, sell style environment. The training if you can call it "training" is non existent for the over 5 million products sold. This causes things to be stressful and new people ussually disappoint customers. Upper management then blames the employees. Several corporate viruses and a slow system add to the stress. Inaccurate descriptions and pictures on the website just add to the nonsence. Too many responsibilities and most employees get burned out but are required to suck it up, with no support and get micromanaged every 60 seconds.

The current SCM is great. The GM, where do I start. Disrespectful, no leadership at all, very difficult to work for, talks down to employees. All about the money. Same things another reviewer said. But money talks so they won't be replaced.
Pros
Free lunches, experience, customer & employee relationships
Cons
Micro management, toxic environment, disrespectful leadership, unreal expectations
Worst experience ever!
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 6, 2018
Absolutely no training with their new SAP program, no leadership whatsoever in the company! Very unorganized, treated employees like 3rd class citizens. Interview was absolutely not what the job description represents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Industrial Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight