Applied Materials Employee Reviews

Good company to work for
Semiconductor Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA 94085February 16, 2019
operator of metrology SPC to measurement wafer, I have learn how to operated more than dozens of the tool. workplace culture is fair.
the hardest part of the job is I have to operated few tool at the time and I need to load the FOUP into the machine and made sure the
machine run all time, the most enjoyable part of the job is when load
the wafer for measurement one FOUP sometime it take more than
one hours to finished the job.
Pros
Nice company to work
Cons
Supervisor too bossy.
This was a well paid job, but without benefits since it was a contract job.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2019
This was a one-year contract position as a Buyer of materials used to build equipment. I was one of about 100 buyers brought in to clean up the backlog and open problems related to prior purchasing. Every day we worked straight out problems related to incorrect entry

This was the end of a 30-year carrier of purchasing of all types of materials. Included were metal cabinets, metal rods, hardware ( nuts, bolts, and screws). Tools ( hand and heavy equipment) software packages, and many other goods.
Pros
Excellent supervisor ( though his time was at a premium)
Cons
It was only a 1-year contract for most of us.
balnced work / life
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 11, 2019
good place to park but poisonous politics slow growth.
Certain organizations allow project freedom but most places only look for powerpoint engineering as the key skill
it is very nice company
Technical Engineer, Final Test (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Applied Materials is fun to work and learn a lot with new technology. i have great experience and I love to continue work in this company. unfortunately at this time its kind of down grade, so I am looking work that has strong future.
Work Life Balance is aligned with Industry
Vice President of Global Logistics Operations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 30, 2019
The industry overall is dictated by the small number of customers that dictate pace and direction of the company. From a product introduction timeline to the delivery of very engineered specific products.

This creates a very poor work life balance.
Pros
Big Company, Lots of programs and very deep pockets
Cons
works to reorganize every 18 months.
High pay, low morale...
Customer Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 29, 2019
Applied Materials has always been known in the industry as a company to work for if you want to be compensated well and unhappy. Management tends to side with Leads over on site CE's, and expectation is that what the lead says goes. This can be a good thing if you have a lead who has emotional intelligence, but if you get stuck with a lead that doesn't, can make for a very unenjoyable workplace.
Great company, needs more advancement opportunities.
Assembly Technician II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2019
The company is a great place to work, when there is work. There is slow periods but, overall its a great environment. I wish there was more opportunity for advancement. unless there is an opening for a permanent position you have to wait to see if you could hired on.
It is fast paced and engaging. The team i worked with was great.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
not enough opportunity for advancement.
Good place for entry-level employees
Manager, Corporate Development (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 21, 2019
AMAT is a good place for entry-level employees and engineering major students. Not a great place for people who aspire to move fast along the career ladder.
Fast paced cleanroom environment
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Applied Materials was a great place to work. The people I worked with and the managers were great and made sure you were comfortable in the work environment.
self paced work load
Integration Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2019
I enjoyed being able to work at my own pace and take care of my stuff without being constantly on watch by managment. it was a very good experiance i would do agian
Challenging environment that supported growth
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJanuary 2, 2019
Applied is a great place to be an intern. I loved the other engineers I got to work with and the fast paced environment was always focused on learning and explaining. I got to work on my own projects but felt well supported on all of them from the other staff and management I was under.
Pros
fast paced learning focused environment
Cons
Difficult to keep up and get ahead because everything moves so fast.
challenging
Customer Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2018
Worked for this company over 15 years. Seen so many ups and downs, this company never ready for the bad days always tries to go with the flow. This company had resources and talent, it just needs to adopt new ways to handle market challenges.
Cons
Productive and good pace to work at
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2018
Just a good pace to work at very communicative at the job
always have something to do at the job and good communication
with team members at the job .
Pros
Good lunch cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks
Amat
Buyer III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2018
Great place to work. But when the downturn hits you're just a number.
Last one in first one out.If you are in with management you'll be OK no matter what your skill level is
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Lot of meetings
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MADecember 5, 2018
It was relaxed when it was slow but fast paced when it was busy. I liked this job a lot not to mention I had a lot of great coworkers that made the job that much better.
Pros
As much overtime as you want.
Cons
I worked a contract with little benefits.
Always in fear of the next RIF
Finance (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 3, 2018
Senior Executives show little regard for workforce. Sometimes you get the sense that they would outsource everyone but R&D if they could. They seem to consistently force out employees who reach their late 40's or 50's with every RIF event opportunity.
comfortable
MATERIAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2018
Everyone is nice to each other . We all work hard together to get the job done at the end of the day. I learn that you have to work as a team player and stay positive
Good company
Business Analyst/Inventory Focal (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 30, 2018
Daily work is rewarding, but you will always be at the beck and call of the cyclical nature of the semi industry. When times are good, everyone celebrates and the bonuses are high, but when volumes drop everyone switches to survival mode. Senior management needs to be less reactionary, and level load the company's reactions to the booms and busts of the industry.
Could Be A Great Company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTNovember 27, 2018
Workplace culture is stressful. Most management is related to one another. The company was always reorganizing so change was constant. There was little to enjoy about my job. Most of the people are nice, but some resent newcomers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful environment and bad culture
Terrible Company
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 24, 2018
They try to capture you and force you into a corner with promises of advancement, despite you showing your skills towards higher potential. You have no idea what hours you're working for the next day until hours before the end of the day. Sometimes they'd send contractors home 4hours only of pay. Other times you'd be packing up to leave at 8hrs, then they'd walk over and tell you to work 10s. Management is indecisive on process improvements, yet expect continuous growth on a department level.
Pros
Mostly Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Terrible management, low pay, unknown work hours until the day of, contractor = bottom of totem pole, must be flexible 100% of time as a contractor, Full-time employees doing same work force work on contractors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Applied Materials.

Powered by Comparably