Applied Research Associates, Inc Employee Reviews

Diverse fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 7, 2018
Loved the employee events and involvement. Some days were busy and felt overwhelming but most days were fun and easy going. I didn't care much for the occasional work drama. My boss was one of the most wonderful and professional people I have ever encountered. Her standards and practices set the bar high for how a person in a management position should work with her employees as a team. She definitely gave me confidence and helped me grow into a better person in life. Overall was a great workplace that is inclusive and diverse.
Amazing company to work for -- Experienced and Beginners alike
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niceville, FLSeptember 29, 2018
I began working at ARA directly out of college, as they are strong advocates for mentoring and allowing new hires to develop their skills while also allowing them to contribute in their own creative ways. Growth and Freedom are two of their four core values that this company demonstrates every day.

They have very ethical business practices, great management, and a very relaxed yet challenging work environment. It's a great opportunity for anyone to gain experience working for ARA.

Working as a Software Engineer with no experience growing into a experienced modeling and simulation developer with experience in several technologies is something I can greatly attribute to ARA.
Pros
Great benefits, good salary, friendly environments
Cons
Some offices noisier than others
Research Technician, Airfield Operating Surfaces (Current Employee) –  Tyndall AFB, FLDecember 18, 2018
Ara has been a great company to work for.Looking forward for another 15 years. Very family friendly coworkers are willing to lend a hand if needed. Each person has a purpose.
Decent Company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 25, 2018
ARA is a decent company. There are some issues with mid-level management in certain divisions, but overall it is a decent company. Company culture is open, and pretty close knit.
Good first job
COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICIST - STAFF ENGINEER I (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 29, 2018
ARA is a good first job and by all accounts a great last job. But I was told by upper management there is not room for advancement. So maybe it’s not a good place to make a career.
Pros
Good autonomy
Cons
Bad management
Great place to work!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 27, 2018
Amazing HR Department! Compassionate, caring, and innovative professionals.

Employee owned aspect is something that prospective employees should understand since it's a unique and incredible piece of employment with ARA.
Pros
Innovative and supportive
Gotta love to travel
Civil Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA 17011November 26, 2017
Travel is a large part of this job. The willingness to learn from experienced workers is a must due to the nature of the job. Know-it-alls will not fit in. Over 15 people came and went in the 8 years I was employed. As for the engineers, some were able to make decision and stick to the schedule others so flighty that the plans could change 4 times in a single day. Some loved to micro-manage and still did not understand why the project went over budget. My motto was ahead of schedule and under budget, every time. Some engineers never made plans and wondered why client were surprised when we started the job without their knowledge.
Lack of proper care for equipment, vehicles and needed repairs caused many delays during the course of a project.
Pros
Travel and seeing parts of the US and Canada
Cons
Engineers who were micro managers
Challenging and Important Work in a Culture of Respect
Training/Emergency Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLOctober 13, 2017
I felt valued and respected as a member of a professional team held to high standards and capable of producing excellent and much needed work to support the client's mission. The work is fast-paced and rigorous, and the management provides tools and support to ensure employees can accomplish tasks.
Dynamic workplace with high demand for creativity
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLAugust 23, 2017
ARA is hands down the best job I have ever had. First off they treat their employees EXTREMELY well. Second the work is very interesting with a lot of hands-on development. This is not some mega firm where you are going to spend months working on a single part in some giant assembly that you will never see built. I only have two cautions with ARA. The first is that they almost exclusively work on government contract so stability is not the highest. The second is that experience you get may be more generalized as the most useful people are those that can change roles quickly.
Pros
Fascinating work
Cons
Government contracting so stability is not the highest
Exceptional company
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 6, 2018
Excellent benefits, great management, and very interesting work! ARA is an exceptional company with exceptional people focusing on critical commercial and government topics.
Fun to learn
IT Computer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VA 22060October 26, 2017
The environment can be fast paced. Definitely each day is on the job training for learning capabilities as well as room for growth. ARA is a company that will take care of you.
Pros
Helpful colleagues
Dull work environment.
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 18, 2017
Business culture is old and outdated which is leading to low interest from younger talent. Government regulations on the industry are also strangle holding smooth development.
Pros
Lynda.com
Very good benefits, how well is the job? depends greatly on the division and VP/manager.
Sr. Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 24, 2017
Can't complain much, its a very good company to work with. If you are creative and bring work, you will be just fine. There are a lots of opportunities you can take and for the most part, as any company, there are ups and downs, but the benefits are great and if you are good they try to keep you employed. You just have to work the way up form the manager and his bosses. Sometimes is a struggle to find the job you are an expert and if you are an engineer, forget about someone finding work for you, you will be actively looking for your own jobs or if its a large job that requires group assignments, expect a lot of collaborating in proposals often.
Pros
benefits, lots of renowned professionals you can collaborate with
Cons
lack of keeping up with job security, not all divisions are equally balanced as of good management, often you need to look for jobs instead of a team dedicated to that
A place to work
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2017
Good company to work for if your are a caregiver for young children or elderly parents. If you are part of the administrative staff do not plan on advancing your career. This company is completely horizontal with next to no chance of promotion or training.
Pros
Free Lynda.com
Cons
terrible benefits, short sighted/fearful management
Short sighted
Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  Randolph, VTMay 6, 2017
Very short sighted and small minded. Spend tons of money on a hung plant building that only has less than 20 workers in it and having customers when they visit drive over 150 miles on back woods roads and then stay at someone house because the nears hotel is over 100 miles away was to not smart.
Pros
high pay
Cons
small minded
Employee Owned Company respecting your ability for inovation
Office Liaison (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 5, 2017
This Company is a relaxing environment. We do a lot of fun and interesting work. I take care of the Office Management. I'm always busy helping others, which I love to do. My favorite part of this job is hosting conferences, meetings and lunches.
Management of Sales, Accounts, or Training
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 14, 2013
Worked with 12 personnel daily ensuring they got assistance from me in equipment checks & accountability, training, and deployment of personnel and equipment. My co-workers were all active duty Air Force members that were subject to deploy to any location in the world with only short notice. The hardest part of the job was making sure members were ready to meet military requirements to support our country. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing job satisfaction that they were ready and that I made that happen.
Pros
Medical benefits for my family
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Productive and knowledgable place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 5, 2013
Our work is mostly research oriented. We conduct experiments sing our equipments depending on the project we are handling and the runs usually go on for 7 hours. Most of our work involves research to find out how to get better results by going through a lot of papers and articles. We are guided by my adviser and Post-Doc who mention our goals and assist us in understanding our experiments better. The hardest part is getting the machine to work properly as it gives trouble from time to time while the fun part is the freedom we are offered. We can conduct experiments with our own ideas provided they are feasible. This has helped us gain a lot by means f trial and error.
Pros
35 hours per week.
Cons
health care
Great company for the defense contracting sector
easily identified as I am a 1 deep position (Current Employee) –  easily identified as I am a 1 deep positionMay 14, 2013
Outstanding to work for. Great support form all levels of management and branches of the company. As a contractor, I am at a remote site, and have never actually met my supervisors face-to-face, but have any support if needed. They leave you alone to perform your job, and the review/ratings for promotion/pay increase is very fair! As a recently seperated veteran, this company was an easy transition to make. But- with all DoD contracting firms, job security is only as good as the politicians and the needs of the military. No fault of the company- but I got my sequester notice. They are assisting us every step of the way to the last day- and helping to us to find other jobs.
Pros
Cons
Subject to DoD Sequesters
Lack of Leadership
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXNovember 18, 2013
Typical day of work at ARA includes little to no communication with/through staff. Great experiences and work with customers. Coworkers, with the exception of a few, have little to no communication and/or personal skills. There is little to no appreciation for employees and even customers. Nepotism and management "favorites" ruin the work environment.
Pros
Medical Benefits
Cons
Lack of Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Research Associates, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about