Applied Underwriters Employee Reviews

It was just an okay job
Service Accounting-garnishment check processor (Former Employee) –  Payroll accountingJanuary 7, 2019
My first position was not suited to me at all. I was too detail oriented for the position.
My second position was better but not quite enough to always keep me busy. I did not have any opportunity to find more work to do.
Pros
Free prescriptions
Cons
Not very well managed in individual departments
Positives and Negatives
Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, GANovember 28, 2018
This is a unique company to work for in Omaha, NE. The employees are nice and management seemed to want to make a positive impact. The overall mood of employees was happy and enjoyful.
Great Benefits, Poor Management
PAYROLL ACCOUNTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 25, 2018
The company provided great benefits but had a higher than normal turnover of employees. Most departments retained their employees but the one I hired into was poorly managed. The manager would belittle and berate employees to the point I saw three leave crying.
Not fun but is great pay
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68154November 12, 2018
Work environment is terrible and no relaxing and doing job for other departments because they wont let you leave early. Since everything has to be use by your pto. Can't leave unless you have build up your pto otherwise they use borrowed pto that you have to work off and you just end up getting fired if you have emergency or family related issues
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
Eveything else
Great Company, Great People
Senior Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68154October 24, 2018
Fully paid health care for employees. Daily allowance for lunch/snack in company kitchen. Motivated employees can quickly advance from payroll clerk to senior level payroll clerk. Management is directly engaged w/employees and provide feedback and guidance on performance.

Opportunities to transfer to other departments are available (depends on education background and experience).
Pros
Fully paid health care for employees, daily food allowance for company kitchen, 1hr for lunch
Cons
Shift start times vary, some start at 10am until 7pm
horrible
Premium Auditor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
horrible- management is non-existent. The supervisor was literally crazy and constantly demeaning. This company is an absolute back stabbing company. Stay away
Pros
Cons
completely insane manager
Job security with great benefits
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 18, 2018
Applied Underwriters is a place where if you want to grow and move up you can, but can also stay in a position in which you can excel at. We are a company prided on accuracy and attention to detail. Dealing with clients money is important and having a solid relationship with the clients is crucial in allowing the system to work. The only downfall is that while each day has different tasks, you are still in a cubical, on your computer for 8 hours a day. If you like that, it's a benefit, if you don't then it's probably not the place to work. The most enjoyable part of being at Applied is getting to know my co workers better. We all essentially work together so I have developed strong relationships with a handful of my colleagues. We are a smaller company so it allows that closeness, yet I do not know each and every employee working here. The culture is very independent work, while being on a team and working together when needed. Overall if you like sitting at a computer, inputting information into the computer, being an independent and team player for a stable company then this place is for you.
Pros
Company Kitchen, Free Health Benefits
Cons
Odd work schedules, just accrued PTO (no sick or vacation hours), High turn over rates.
A Typical Day at Work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 7, 2018
Working at Applied Underwriters as an Account Manager is an important role. Account Managers are the face of the company and the "jack of all trades". Account Managers are required to know a lot of information about a number of topics. Account Managers are expected to get the job done as efficiently as possible.
Would you like to be treated like a number and not a human? This is the place for you!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 20, 2018
The overall vibe of this office is not only Odd, but cold, uncaring and miserable. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. I dreaded coming into work everyday and being in the atmosphere without any real training, as well as somewhat inappropriate attitudes. It was a soul sucking prison - that does not care about their employees. management was terrible to try and communicate with, and gave you the feeling you were somehow a storm trooper working for the emperor. and not in a fun way. Bottom line - Micromanagement was out of control and heaven forbid I wanted to actually use my PTO.

It was/ is terrible. RUN AWAY.
Pros
It was a job.
Cons
Management is awful
Terrible management clicky office forget it if you don't fit in even though you can do the job
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose CaliforniaJune 4, 2018
Management was not very helpful and does not have the right attitude to help someone new. Girls in the office are clicky. If they don't like your personality will find an excuse to get rid of you.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
If you don't fit in with the rest of them forget it.
Lots of micromanaging
Claims Adjuster 2 (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 16, 2018
Good entry level job for a student right out of college. There is a lot of micromanaging and high turnover. High case loads at time. Work fluctuates especially on the medical only teams.
Pros
Free Healthcare
Cons
Micromanaging
Relaxing place to work
Housekeeping Double Tree (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2018
Slow paced, easy going place to work, sit down job, had benefits, offered lunches and had a company kitchen would put like 8 dollars for full time on that card for you.
too stressful
Insurance Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 8, 2018
too stressful and not enough focus on what is important. the jobs are not sales, but they are treated like sales. high goals and in some cases, impossible metrics.
Claims Adjuster
Claim Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 15, 2017
Training needs improvement. Better to learn by example than be judged by failure. The environment is great. The "gossip" chain is terrible. The lack of positive reinforcement is discouraging.

Being asked to find other employment.
Pros
Health plan
Cons
Negativity
Nice Place to work
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 7, 2017
The days can be very hard and Management did not have great relationship with employees. the work is a cookie cutter production and the managers where not working with each when something was needed.
Amazing company
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 26, 2017
I loved working here! Applied is truly an amazing company that cares for their employees. This is the best company I have ever worked for! Amazing benefits!
Cut-throat and stressfull
Insurance Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 1, 2017
The middle management is not ideal, they hide the core problems from upper management to make themselves look better.

They do not provide adequate training. It is a sink or swim mentality.
Great Benefits, but schedule is terrible.
Team Leader, Payroll (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 4, 2017
In processing you will work rotating shifts. Your benefits will be great and you get a decent amount of PTO. Management just wants you to come in and do your job well, but there is no incentive to do well, only punishment if you do poorly. You will also work 10 hour days during holiday weeks. Clients are unhappy with our products and we have nothing to offer them because you are not allowed to stray from our processes. If you make under $40k a year, you get 8 dollars towards company kitchen, so you get a free lunch.
Pros
free lunches, benefits, Pto
Cons
Schedule, work culture
Face Paced competitive
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 10, 2017
I did not like that you had to process a certian amount of payrolls a day since some payrolls could be lengthy and time consuming due to certification right up or employee entree required to complete said payroll.
Management was very helpful and willing to demonstrate/ answer questions.
Work hard Play Harder
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 18, 2017
Decent pay nice insurance. Raises aren't high. Company culture is fun. Headphones are a plus for certain areas. Friendly Co Workers. Benefits are great. Work is never ending because it's all paper based and not digitized for file clerks. Nothing bad to say about the company I loved my time there and very grateful of the experience. If you can disconnect from work after you clock out will be fine.
Pros
Hour break whenever you choose
Cons
Pto no sick days jus Pto

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applied Underwriters. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight