Applus Technologies Employee Reviews

flexible relaxed workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 10, 2019
Fairly easy job, the pay is not something to call home about. This is a good job for a college student or retired vet but not someone actually looking for a great job. benefits are available, once a month lunch is catered and they are not super strict on dress code which I love.
Pros
Dress code, flexibility and free monthly lunch
Cons
Pay
No direction / Terrible management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 30, 2019
First day, you sit in the manager's office for 8 hours. You're told to go to their website and "learn about what we do". So you scroll through the pages, reading things that would be jibberish to someone who doesn't know about vehicle inspections. This is your training.

Second day, you do the same thing. Later in the day, you sit with someone to shadow with them so you can hear the calls. Since it's so slow-paced, you're often sitting there for over an hour, waiting. Then you finally get a call, and the agent directs the caller to the website, because he/she doesn't know the answers.

Third day, they want you on the phone and ready to go. With no actual training, and having only heard two calls the previous day, I told management that I'd be more comfortable learning more, before taking calls. So instead of actually training me, they sent me a handful of calls that other agents completed. All of the agents from those calls were equally untrained, as they were full of "ummmm" and "I don't know, sir, go look at the website". Most of the agents were super rude to the callers. I told management that these were terrible calls. The manager then listened to them, and agreed with me. I was then told to be ready to take calls the next day. So I did not return.

You're part of a 6 or 7-person team. From what I gathered in my 4 days there, nobody on that team was trained, and they're all just winging it. It truly seemed like the entire purpose of the position is to answer calls from inspectors, listen to their story, and say "I don't know. Look at the website", or, listen to people
  more... who failed their inspections, and say "I don't know, file a complaint on the website".

I would never recommend this job to anybody.
Management needs an upgrade and pay needs to match livable wages
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 25, 2019
Most of the management needs to be replaced. You would be shocked that this is a state office. Most are paid less than many department stores workers.
Producttive fast pace
LANE INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2019
I truly enjoyed working here. It felt like family . We all helped each other when it was needed. We covered each other’s shift when an emergency came up. The manager respected us and took care of us making sure we felt safe at work.
Cons
Short breaks
Employee
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  UtahMay 29, 2019
LOVE applus. My boss is super understanding and it's so nice. They other Techs are super helpful and always there if you need them. I couldn't ask for a better work environment.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not very many advancements
Congenial workplace
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 8, 2019
Associates are friendly and helpful. The position provided an opportunity to utilize my skills and experience in a challenging and productive manner. A good place to work.
learned a lot, fast paced
Mechanical Assembler, Inventory control (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMarch 2, 2019
typical day was assembling inspection carts for the MASS DOT. Assembled the carts then installed all the hardware for inspections. toward the end we had too many people and not enough work
Pros
paid lunch and drinks on occasion
Cons
too many hours, boss had health issues and there was no one else to step in.
Overall a good place to work
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 22, 2019
The work is challenging and the environment and team members are congenial and helpful. Management mentors well and provides guidance only when needed.
Pros
Reasonable compensation
Cons
Not all healthcare covered
Excellent, laid back company, that offers flexibility to ones schedule
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lombard, IL 60148January 28, 2019
Laid back an easy day can be few calls with hours in between. Hard days back to back call with limited time to write down what they are about. Learned more about the processes used in call centers with the VCC Calls and Chats.
Pros
Easy going, extremely helpful, and very festive with holidays with parties
Interesting, mobile work environment.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 21, 2019
Typical days were pleasant enough. I just kept the stations assigned to me up and running. Any malfunctions from the test equipment to the station lights to the urinals were my responsibility.
Pros
Not stuck in an office.
Cons
Outdoor work in bad weather.
Terrible Management, Terrible Pay
Full Time Lane Inspectors (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 20, 2018
While the managers at the station I worked at weren’t horrible people, they were horrible to each other, scheduling was always a mess, and they would get into screaming matches in front of customers. Adding to that, the head mamanger definitely has favoritism in play. One KID, and by kid I mean under 30 years old, sitting inside all day, never has to work the lanes, but they always made all of the older employees or injured employees freeze or sweat all day. Part timers only get a 10 minute break, full timers get 30 minute lunch and two 10 minute breaks for the whole day. And while you’re outside you get a little down time between rushes, but you aren’t allowed to go inside to warm up unless management says it’s okay, which is rare.
If you’ve seen their want add, everything looks great until you see the pay. Which is what has turned so many applicants away. I was promised room to advance further into the company, pay raises, the whole package looked great on the surface. Until I realized that half of the employees I worked with were there for 10 plus years and have ONLY gotten raises if the state minimum wage went up. If you take all of he benefits for full time, you’re checks end up being $50 or less. That’s not even enough money to cover gas to GET there. To make it all worse, in my area our minimum wage is $12.00 but the company still only pays $8.25. I made more hourly for my PTO than what my hourly was. My largest check for two weeks at 40 hours a week was $423.
Then if a vehicle fails, the customers have meltdowns and I’ve had multiple customers come at me like they
  more... wanted to hit me, several customers scared me to the point where I wanted to quit. And HR does nothing if you call their whistle blowing line, my district manager was useless, and management within the stations would hide in the bathrooms or the office.  less
Pros
They’ll hire anyone as long as you pass a drug test
Cons
Literally everything about the company
Laid back atmosphere, for better and worse
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 8, 2018
Lots of good people, but lack of planning and poor communication can make things difficult at times. Pay is not particularly competitive, but the company tries to make up for that with benefits and flexibility.
Pros
Atmosphere, Pto, Flexibility, Managers who care
Cons
Less than competitive pay, poor strategic planning, unpredictable business revenue
Company loses good workers due to long-term employee incompetence...
NDT Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 24, 2018
And keeps them on even after realizing they are dead weight! Seriously, when a company cannot identify issues and problem employees in a timely manner, and resolve issues with them? That kind of stuff really doesn’t build a lot of confidence in a company.

I had a legit issue with a lead leaving work for hours at a time, coming in very late, and displaying actual incompetence/confusion on certain training processes. I’m not sure how it takes almost 2 years to get a 4 month certification for some technicians but come on! How does management let this kind of nonesense slip through for years??

Want to know if a company is going to go “the distance”, so to speak? Always look for co-workers who are committed to working and having an actual working knowledge of the job and equipment. If the roots are no good, the fruit never will be!

But best of luck to anyone who attempts to actually work here. I’m not too mad, let’s just say, I was glad to had a really good back up job to turn to!
Pros
Good starting pay, certification provided, employees can leave for hours at a time, working is optional
Cons
Incompetent co-workers, flimsy training procedures, bottom of the barrel candidates will thrive
Efficient
Lane Inspector (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, IL 60638October 16, 2018
A typical workday..Management could do a lot better..I've learned a lot about vehicle emission.The workplace culture is good,the hardest part of the job is we're understaffed.
Cons
Short Breaks
Applus Technologies
Lane Operator (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 14, 2018
Not a bad company to work for. Provide training opps, scheduled breaks, sick days, vacation as accrude, & uniforms. Very strict log in and out policy.
Pros
Training opps
Cons
Work outdoors in all of the elements- rain, snow, sun, wind, ice
great company
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MASeptember 29, 2018
I loved working for the company, i need to get that job back asap but this time work for them full time, the last time i work for them i was a temp...
Pros
good pay
Cons
temp job
Applus
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 10, 2018
Overall Applus could be a good company to work for. The management needs to be better and there is a lack of communication when things change. Something can work for one person and not another according to management (favoritism). The pay could definitely be better.
Pros
Free Lunches. Monday- Friday
Cons
Management. Lack of Communication
Great people
Software and machine installer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2018
I was part-time and out of state worker. They were a great team of people. They treated me very well. Anything I needed they helped me with. It was hard work but loads of wonderful people.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Some long travel times
Get out
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
There's really no culture to stand by. Everyone pretty much does their own thing..Rules apply to some and not others. Management is so out of touch with reality. Managers clearly have favorites.The few good managers that are still there are treated bad.Managers will count every minute you work, while there are several people that work 30 hours or less a week. Low morale. No room for growth. Favoritism. Low pay. Bad managers.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, high benefits
Low moral
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2018
Very stressful. Manager always calling and looking for errors and reason to bother employees. Everyone hated working there and hated the commute. There was favoritism amounts managers and agents
Pros
There are non
Cons
Everything was bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applus Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.