Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Employee Reviews

It’s a good job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INFebruary 13, 2019
It’s a good job, and the coworkers there are amazing but I was struggling with several things and I just feel like I don’t fit in there, but overall it’s a good place.
Pros
Kids are amazing
Cons
Several
It’s a no for me
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAFebruary 7, 2019
Besides the manager and employees this is a great place to work. The manager acts like a teenager even though she is a grown adult. She is VERY petty and will not let anything go. There are a few girls there who are absolutely rude and will bully you if you don’t fit in. This work environment is just like high school. If you do not want to work with immature people DO NOT APPY HERE
Pros
The parents and children
Cons
Manager
Very fun place
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
Aqua-tots was a really good part-time job while in school. It was a really laid back place to work & the manager was really nice & understand the entire duration I worked there.
The families were the best part
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 2, 2019
The best part about that job was the kids and there families. I stayed as long as I did because I didn’t want to let them down. The work environment, such as coworker and management were hit and miss we would have our good days and bad days.
Pros
The families
Cons
the ever changing curriculums.
Fun, Empowering and Encouraging
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Helotes, TXJanuary 26, 2019
Aqua Tots is an amazing place to work to gain experience with customer service and empower young people in their water skills. While working there you are able to give entire family's joy because you are giving peace of mind when their child is near water and knows how to handle themselves. You typical day at work is teaching toddlers how to swim, sometimes adults. Teaching a lesson to a group of four toddlers and sometimes swim teams at the end of your day. I learned strong customer service skills and how to manage difficult children. The management cares so much about their employees and always work with you.
Fun work place
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2019
If you love working with kids and teaching them something new this is a good job to have. You work with the kids and then report the progress of the kids back to their parents.
fun place to work
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 16, 2019
Working here was very fun. Coworkers and employers are kind and helpful.It is very fun if you like teaching and working with young children. The best part is swimming and being in a pool while you're working!
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
cold when you get out of the water
Competitive and family-oriented workplace
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJanuary 15, 2019
A typical day at work would consist of sharing the front desk area with my co-worker, greeting customers, answering inquiries. I enrolled customers into our swimming program and collected payments. I learned how to communicate effectively with multiple families and how to work with a family's schedule so swimming classes would fit into their daily lives. The workplace culture was competitive at times, fast-paced especially during summer hours, and the most enjoyable part was meeting new families and working with my co-workers. My manager was great and provided me with flexible hours throughout my junior and senior year of high school.
Pros
Lunch breaks, incentives, etc.
unorganized etc
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 14, 2019
Not enough hours, not super flexible working around school hours for college kids, unorganized when it comes to taking time off. working with the kids was the best part. learning the curriculum was a little difficult because it was so different from normal swim lessons and it’s hard to learn all the levels and stuff so fast. pool wasn’t cleaned very well.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
hours
Wet days with lots of kids
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 27, 2018
Often stayed after shift to complete progress forms for children. Working in the water for 4-5 hours was hard on skin and hair. Always wet and cold. Maintained positive and encouraging attitude for children and parents. Sometimes disciplining children for inappropriate or dangerous behavior around the water or during lessons.
Pros
positive atmosphere, see children's progress
Cons
demanding parents, uncooperative children, always wet
Never made it to the first day
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 12, 2018
The manager changed my starting date 3 times. Sent unprofessional tacky text messages. And than tried to tell me I had to be at work on a sat I had plans because he changed the schedule 3 times with no notice. It was the most unorganized unprofessional staff I’ve ever seen.
Pros
Cons
Ridiculous management
Productive place to learn and teach children
Front Desk Staff/ Swim Instructor/ Deck supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIDecember 7, 2018
Very family oriented work place providing a warming work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the set schedule which not only works around school schedules while furthering education but also creates strong bonds with students.
Fun, has an indoor swimming pool.
Front Desk Receptionist/ Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 27, 2018
Fun to work here but can be stressful at times. The chlorine in the water does make your skin itchy or uncomfortable at times. Overall good starting job.
Pros
Great if love working with kids
Cons
Your skin feels terrible because of the chlorine.
No advancement and low pay
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 21, 2018
They treat you like a number here; under-paid and over-worked. They cut hours and barely pay anything hourly for the job they expect you to do. You work with children and are expected to go above and beyond, but the company shows no appreciation. The paydays are also very inconvenient and can be spaced out over 2 weeks between paydays.
Pros
Slow days, when classes are cancelled
Cons
hours, workload, pay
Lots of promises, little follow through.
General Manger (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 19, 2018
Okay so basically, overall the company is actually not bad. It can be a little demanding at times but overall, the pay wasn't bad, the hours were okay, and the parents/families we served were amazing.

However, there are also areas that need a ton of work. The two largest areas would have to be communication and training.

Lets start with the first, communication: of which there was little (and what little there was, it often created confusion more than anything). Yes there were monthly news letters, however most of what was in there was never really explained. It would often come in the form of a list of changes, shout outs, etc. would often look like the creation of a high-school student rather than a CEO with all the numerous spelling mistakes, typos, and grammatical errors. There were instances were I was given direct orders to create Summer only classes by one supervisor and then told to get rid of them by another supervisor (after which several of them had filled). This however, is not my largest criticism.

Now lets get to the training. It often happens that people are thrown into positions without getting fully trained. For example, my training for payroll consisted of how to report the hours to payroll and how to change punches. It did not include how to balance payroll with business needs; only getting a vague outline of 1 FD staff per 3 classes. It did not include any training as far as the pool staff is concerned and how to balance their hours and shifts with business needs. Then, 8 months down the line, there would be intense, belittling conversations about
  more... how ineffective your use of payroll is, but again, no further training.

So, again, over all it wasn't bad. The pay was fair, the hours pretty good, and the families were great to serve. However, upper management needs to realize that if they want changes in areas to become more efficient, they need to provide actual training that does not include ripping people apart and leaving them to figure out the meaning behind it all.
unpaid training
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 12, 2018
your all know when looking for a job its because your trying to make some money. At Aqua-tots the training days are unpaid for, is take 18 days to complete the online and in water training. Meanwhile you are working extremely hard to memorize are there rules and procedures you are not getting paid. Truly I believe that it was unfair, I had spent two weeks working there not getting paid while rejecting other job opportunities. Though this place was fo me, I was wrong :(
fun work place
Swim Teacher (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 5, 2018
Working with kids is awesome and very rewarding! I wish I could of kept working there, but I kept getting sick from the kids and from being in the pool constantly.
Terrible work environment
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 2, 2018
Management is rude and unprofessional. Employee's are severely underpaid and benefits aren't great. Was given less hours than promised when hired. Not worth the stress.
If you want drama and snobby management
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 9, 2018
Management is not really there to oversee issues, so they leave it in no one's hands. This makes for an unprofessional look to our parents. However, when they are around, they sure know how to pretend to be helpful. That's until they basically abuse your kindness and make you do ridiculous tasks that are their** job, all the while you're still getting paid minimum wage.
Pros
free food
Cons
snobby management, no breaks, false sense of self-progress
Fun Workplace, Stressful environment
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 24, 2018
Taught groups of 3-4 kids with similar aquatic skill levels how to be safe in water and enjoy swimming. Job environment was good, can be a stressful job.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
No breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools. Our community is ready to answer.