Arcadis Employee Reviews

Fun ride but fundamental problems
Environmental Scientist I (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 12, 2019
I had my first taste of consulting with Arcadis, working with them for over two years and a promotion. I’m sure it varies from office to office, project manager to project manager, but my experience could be likened to a famine or feast scenario.

When field work came, I would have to accept, as the office was a realm of solitude without much prospect of finding hours to fill up a whole week. Billability is obviously emphasized, and new hires will have to face the prospect of panhandling for hours their first few months until trust is built (my supervisor was too hands-off and would never have constant work). There is little to no mentorship or guidance; I was thrust out there and had to learn as I went. Expect to be taken to all sorts of places, for days to weeks at a time. Great for the unattached, but your personal life will suffer otherwise.

Compensation is alright, especially with per diems and the prospect of bonuses that I received from time to time. However, benefits are limited and irritating to use (say goodbye to kaiser). My advice to management would be to be more communicative with junior staff (offer them assignments/meetings to grow), use an officewide CALENDAR to track field schedules, and stop focusing on bloated office redesigns/internal corporate programs that could be better spent marketing for a new client or paying their field staff better.
Pros
Lots of variety in project work, travel to interesting places
Cons
Limited benefits, stagnation, neglectful management, poor work/life balance
Employees are overworked and underappreciated
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2019
15 years ago I would have written a very different opinion of Arcadis and specifically middle management. However, the firm has traded-in their genuine support for their employees for office politics and very high"corporate expectations."

I felt ignored and received little to no guidance/feedback from management. Because I was a small fish in a very large pond and expendable.

Unfortunately, management treats you like another number, caring about the bottom line so they can keep their non-productive heads above water (think Office Space).

Like most consulting firms, the compensation is high but with an even larger price to pay (your well-being and home life). The company hires young engineers with no experience instead of retaining engineers with decades of loyalty to the company.

I did enjoy my fellow co-workers that were in the same boat. And I wish the few remaining afloat the best.
Pros
Good pay, pleasant staff
Cons
Management does not appreciate staff, Overtime (50-60 hour work weeks) expected, Stressful work environment, No life outside of work
A fantastic work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJanuary 14, 2019
A fantastic work environment with supportive leaders. Each department supporting the others. Providing excellence in corporate Finance & Accounting including excellent customer service.
Great opportunities for travel
Geologist / Environmental Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, WYDecember 21, 2018
There were MANY opportunities to travel the country and even the world for work. We had Christmas parties, and other social gatherings. There was a lot of opportunities to further myself by learning new skills and new programs, etc.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Time away from home
Overall a good company to work for
CIVIL ENGINEER INTERN (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 19, 2018
I haven't spent a long time at my office, but my experiences have been largely positive. My supervisors have been good mentors and have been accommodating to my work/school balance. The company offers good benefits, lots of paid leave and (at least at my office) a decent amount of room for advancement.
Pros
Lots of paid time off, great work-life balance
Cons
Nothing really
Was a good place to work
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Ravena, NYDecember 7, 2018
Arcadis had a very competitive compensation package, they also had many other perc's. The Sr.PM allowed each manger to work autonomously and with this project it made the schedule ebb and flow and meet our dead lines with less friction.
Enjoyable company to work for
Invoice Specialist / Financial Project Management (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 14, 2018
In my 10 years of professional accounting work, this firm was the best I worked for. The management was appreciative and responsive. The environment was extremely friendly. For a large department, it felt like family. The training was excellent.
The only con was the low pay rates.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Compensation
Good work-life balance
CPM (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJNovember 8, 2018
Great benefits and options for working remotely
Good project management training
Nationwide resources and opportunities to transfer to other offices
Less opportunities to transfer groups at a senior level and some male managers show obvious double standard
Pros
Benefits, flex-time, options to work remotely
Cons
Hard to switch groups as a senior staff member
very interesting and challenging projects
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLNovember 2, 2018
This is a very good, world wide company. I was lucky to land a job in one of the local South Florida offices. Management was very good. Communication and collaboration between management and technicians made plan production easy.
Pros
close to home, good pay and benefits
Arcadis
Project PC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2018
Great company to work for. I spent most of my time off site working on client sites so I can not comment much on working in the office, but I hear that the offices are a great environment.
arcadis
GIS Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 17, 2018
Overall a good place to work, too much emphasis by mgmt on the "multiplier". Inability of management to understand GIS and its limitations with respect to current and future clients. Only interested in profit and not the process to make it happen
Pros
Some flexibility in choosing clients
Cons
management pressure to hit the multiplier
Decent place to work
HR CSR/Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COSeptember 11, 2018
Lot of turnover, restructuring, definitely a corporate setting. Colleagues within same department get along great and work well as a team and individually.
Fun atmosphere...Good balance of field and office work...Opportunities to travel.
Environmental Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 6, 2018
Excellent people to work with...Enjoyable and often challenging work environment...Good career advancement opportunities. Very strong safety culture. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
Good compensation, excellent working environment and camaraderie, good chance for professional advancement.
Cons
Some unpleasant office politics between departments/divisions.
a superior company and w0rkplace
Team Lead Waugoshance Point Mackinaw MI (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 27, 2018
Awesome employer. A great of deal of diversity and travel. All teams and team members superior professional. Great company employer interaction. Superior SOPs, and job goal setting and equipment
Cons
contractstart are often delayed
Professional, well run and caring company
Assistant Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYAugust 23, 2018
Arcadis as a corporation is topnotch. Their methods, human resources and attention to employee care is 5 star. They have many opportunities throughout the country and their ethics will make you want to always be their employee. They are fair and open.
Supportive client and project team
Task Manager 1 (Current Employee) –  Marina, CAAugust 22, 2018
development and managment of project data and reporting requirments under CERCLA process.
Work place environment is fast paced but relaxed.
Working with public and regulatory agencies
Pros
no micro-managment
Cons
limited advancment
Field Technician/Scientist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 23, 2018
Arcadis was an amazing place to thrives and grow in my career. I wish i was still working with them< but do to a contract buy out with the EPA i was forced to change companies. I would work for them again in a second.
Productive work environment but career path guided by assignments.
Project Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 20, 2018
When work was plentiful, a typical day would be productive with interaction with superiors and peers. Workplace allowed for learning from others but the hardest part of work was balancing the ever-changing work culture and management styles. It was difficult to know where you stood. Oftentimes things are viewed as black or white when in reality they were many subtle shades of gray. The most enjoyable part of this job was how the company could send people from all over the country to converge on a site or project in an effort to meet a certain deadline. I really enjoyed learning and working with others and the entire collaboration-thing.
Pros
Lots of lattitude in career development
Cons
Could be disconnected and cold
Great work life balance
GIS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2018
Great work environment- fun people, and easy-going culture. The company is rather big (~6,000) and in combination with the type of contracts it focuses on there's not a lot of organic growth (read: few advancement opportunities).
Good company
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJuly 16, 2018
I worked for Arcadis for a short amount of time. Their projects were interesting and I got to learn a lot. the Work balance was not as good and the work was not distributed based on merit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arcadis. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Arcadis.

Powered by Comparably