Archdiocese of New York Employee Reviews

Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 4, 2019
If you are not part of the upper management, meaning a family member or close friend. You are overlooked, and you are put in a line of fire at all times. Shame that a company runs that way being religious.
I love it !
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2018
I was helping out wrapping gifts for the cardinal , and it was such a great environment , well respected , everyone is super understanding. We worked at a great pace which kept everything moving smoothly.
a typical day
Accounts Payable Clerk- GRSS (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2018
This was honestly a tough job because you have to be able to work fast pace. If you slow down a little many complaints come your way. good pay but stressful.
Great Place to Begin or End Your Career
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 14, 2018
Working for the Archdiocese is a dream job for new teachers when it comes to experience. The schools are moving fast and comparative to the Department of Education. Professional Development is available as are a number of grants for advanced education and degrees. The union is awesome and you are truly supported. Most leaders in the Archdiocese began as teachers in the same school and have years of experience to share with their teachers.
Pros
Great learning experiences, teaching discounts, professional development
Cons
Compensation is much lower than public school, School closings threaten job security
Easy going job
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
Typical work day was easy going and stress free.
Learned office and communication skills.
Management was somewhat helpful and organized.
Workplace was friendly, comfortable, and enjoyable.
Hardest part of the job was making sure all projects were completed through the day without having some unfinished.
Most enjoyable part was discovering new office skills and taking them to the outside world.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Short days
Review summary of Archdioese
Computer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mt. Carmel Holy RosaryMay 31, 2018
Working for the Archdiocese was a very humbling experience. Working side by side with Nuns and other teachers who cared and nurtured students. The curriculum and delivery of the instruction was awesome a family experience between the teachers who taught there.
Pros
The behavior in the school was quite manageable.
Cons
Many times we were threatened with closure of the school, because the church might not be able
Archdiocese Of New York
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
a typical day was filing teachers I-9 and creating folders for the teachers. The workplace culture was very friendly and open. The most enjoyable part of the job is employee team meeting.
Pros
team, income
Cons
short breaks
Always busy
Accounts Clerk - Fiscal Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
Due to my work I had a lot of job so therefore I was always busy and had to make sure that my job was ready by the end of the month.
It was an experience meeting all kind of people from different cultures. Once a year we were brought to yearly gathering of co-workers where we were meet other co-workers from other locations and passed a pleasant day tor ourselves.
Pros
It was for me at least happy that my job was finished at the end of the month as expected.
Review
Director of Enrollment and Marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2018
Great place to get started but then loo into moving on. Company culture is who you know . If you want to gee started in catholic education this is the place to start
Friendly and Fun
Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2018
Worked with five Catholic School - I visit each school every week, spend quality time with the Principals and Secretaries for each school. I drive back to the Office to entered Invoices and Deposit into the system in order to pay the vendors on a timely period. I manage payroll for the five school, checked timesheets, sick/personal time off, provided new hire or change for employees to HR Department in order to process the payroll bi-weekly. Reconciled Home School Accounts. I request W-9 from new vendors. Work with deadlines which are archive early or on the deadline time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is to see that I made my deadline and to see all my vendors and principal happy for their payment and worked done from me.
Pros
going to school and driving back to the office it give me time to relax and no get stress
Community service provider without organizational support
MIGRATION COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Job gives me opportunity to learn intercommunicative skills, improve spanish and other foreign languages, and most of all the complex immigration system.
Pros
building interpersonal skills
Cons
not enough time off, no dental, conservative health plan, slow process for reimbursement of mileage
Satisfying
Full Time Temp (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I enjoy working for the Archdiocese on New York because I love teaching it is my passion. The hardest part of the job is that there isn't much room for advancement. It is very competitve.
Large Organization
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Challenging job maintaining several old structures, challenging neighborhoods, transitional populations, cultural differences, etc. Good for some, not for me.
A typical day at work
School Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2017
The days go by so fast when you are working. So much to do in a day but not enough time. It's a great job to start off with to gain some knowledge in education and business management as well.
“A reputable nonprofit going through internal transitions”
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2017
The charity has a great mission and serves a multitude of New Yorkers in need. Coworkers treat you like family and take great pride in their work knowing they are helping communities.

For senior staff:

The company is way behind the times when it comes to technology and methods of communication which is surprising because it has a huge operational budget for a nonprofit. HR needs a revamp when it comes to establishing policies and protocols as well as career development opportunities. This will help departments grow and effectively adapt to new but demanding changes within the human services sector.
Pros
Pleasant Coworkers, helping communities in needs
Cons
Issues with Work/life balance, Old technology, communication issues with management
I was happy there but over time I yearned to a change.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2017
The Archdiocese of New York was a very pleasant institution to work for, but at times it was hectic.
Children were prepared and cooperative; however sometimes parental interactions were interesting.
My colleagues were very good at what they did and the children reaped those benefits.
Pros
Summers off plus all weekends and legal holidays
Cons
Too many software problems and professional development was ineffective most of the time
Productive and Opportunity
Receptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
Worked closely with the Cardinal of New York and his Ministerial Staff of Monsignors and Priests. Adventurous, enlightening, high-profile position. Never a dull moment working within this office. All clerical work was confidential with a high volume of data entry. Receptionist area was clean and very professional in appearance. The staff luncheons were a great time of fellowship for all. It was impressive to sit in the midst of such high-profile religious officials that worked hard, took their God-appointed task serious and aimed high to meet the expectations of the religious community.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch, open to meet celebrities and high-profile politicians
Cons
late hours
A very nice family atmosphere
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Walden, NYOctober 30, 2017
Teaching in a Catholic school is a lot more pleasant than teaching in a public school. The children are better behaved, and parents are more supportive.
Pros
Not as man discipline problems as in the public schools
Cons
Salary is not as high as a public school teacher with the same degrees and experience.
Toughest job I ever loved
Principal St. John's (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 24, 2017
Working for ADNY is a vocation. It's challenging and stressful. The rewards of educating children are wonderful.
The faculty that I worked with were professional and hard working.
It is a good stepping stone towards future careers...
Data Processing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2017
New college grad or returning to school is worth working at the ARCHNY. Or it can also work as a stepping stone to your next career level, which many have done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archdiocese of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.3Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight