Archer Daniels Midland Employee Reviews

Where to start!!!
Laborer. (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2019
Worked there through a temp agency in the oil area. First I would like to say they are severely understaffed for the area they expect one person to cover. I imagine it’s to save money. A few people were cool to be around but the majority weren’t. I guess being a temp leaves you open to be treated poorly. They have you work 12 hour shifts which I don’t mind but they had people alternating between nights and days which sucks and expect you to climb silos at night with limited lighting. The final straw was I had a family funeral out of state and had to stay a day longer than I told them and they cancelled the contract cause they said I gave them little warning. Who the heck plans when people pass away I’m not psychic and funeral plans were out of my control and I was out of town.
Pros
Money was ok
Cons
Everything else
Never
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Webberville, MIJanuary 6, 2019
Don’t do it!!!!!! Please stay away. Low pay. Farmers are were cool. But management no!! Starting pay 10 an hour. Really??? You are nothing to them. Trust me stay away!!!
Challenging work with a lot of moving parts.
Ethanol Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAJanuary 4, 2019
Great team to work with and a deep talent pool. Technical aspects of job are equally as important as personnel skill, Fast paced, and adapting to change must be ingrained in one's psyche as continuous improvement is a high priority.
Pros
Challenggin work.
Cons
Tough to align priorities.
low self esteem maintenance and management employees
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCJanuary 3, 2019
Be aware of the low self esteem folks ( blue hats or ADM employees) as they will tell lies on others as they have very limited knowledge. Management is even worse as I would classify their knowledge level equivalent to that of a poultry processing plant reject. After all this facility is a food manufacturing plant. If you want employment whereas you get treated like an idiot everyday, this is the place for you... The person writing this review is 50 years old with over 25 years industrial and management experience. By the way, I was just recently hired into management by one of their competitors for a lot more money! Good Luck Lori and Tara...In conclusion the folks at ADM need to understand there is absolutely ADM has that I need!
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
absolutley everthing
Good Place to Work/salary not so much for me
HAVC Tech/Maintenance Shop Forman (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 3, 2019
I liked working at ADM and I liked what i did. Got a chance to work on a lot of different pieces of equipment and learned a lot. Although, I did a lot of work and I don't feel I got compensated right.
Pros
good environment/ good people
Cons
favoritism and some back stabbing
Great Place to Work, but...
Commodities Trader (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNJanuary 2, 2019
ADM is a solid company providing opportunities for growth, but the human eliminate can be lost at times. The company overall trains its employees and gives them opportunity to fail or succeed.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Human Relations
Positive Enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSJanuary 2, 2019
The people and place was very positive and the training was very excellent. I really liked my job there but left for the simple fact that FedEx was hiring and really like the idea of driving on the road.
Pros
Small Mill
Cons
Very caring management.
Huge disconnect between management and employees.
"Laborer" (Current Employee) –  No way im saying they'll fire me.December 30, 2018
Long work days from 8-12 hours, 7 days a week and swing shift (rotating between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd). Show up and expect to work 12 hours if your relief calls in. Hot (115+ in the summer) and dirty work. Weekends off only by request and availability, when you take off everyone else works 12hrs and vice versa. Only other time off is for plant fogging (1 day a month) or holidays. Poor use of down time. Management doesn't care how much you have to work, they're off every weekend. They will find you busy work if there is nothing to do instead of optional time off. Good pay only because you work 60-80hrs a week. This work life has crippled and ended many marriages of employees. They do not promote whose best for the position, rather they promote whose kisses the most a**. I've never worked for a company this mismanaged and its disheartening. Dont look at this place as a career. It's a revolving door and your just a number.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list
Teamwork makes the dream work
Solvent Extraction operator (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNDecember 28, 2018
ADM-Red Wing, is a smaller plant compared to others, so it had it shortfalls. Foreman are company, plant workers are union, so you are stuck in one or the other.

They pay very well, but it is rotating shift work 24/7 365, so it can take some time to get used to.

Time off is limited, your first couple years you get 2 weeks, no sick time.

If you are on a good crew, everything is like family, and runs like clockwork, if you have a poor foreman or plant worker on your crew, it can be a toxic and miserable place to work.

It is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, in the summer/fall you do a lot of confined space entry, and get super dirty cleaning the equipment.
Pros
pay, snacks and meals from time to time, union= something of a raise per year
Cons
shift work, holidays, some managers shouldnt be managers
Great Company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 27, 2018
ADM was an excellent company to work for. There was tremendous opportunity to grow. I loved working at the Baltimore grain elevator. This is where I learned to become a great supervisor. Our work staff including upper management were some of the greatest most respectful people I have ever worked with. I miss it very much and remember all the long nights exporting grain onto the ships. It could be stressful at times but truly memorable. The experience I have gained working for ADM has been priceless. They could of paid me a little more because I was a hard worker and a valuable asset to the company but I never complained about it.
Pros
Great people, excellent benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth
Cons
It was very disappointing that they did not pay to fix the grain pier
Huge company, culture varies from location to location.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 26, 2018
I've worked for ADM at two times in my life. Both times I was entering the work field with no relevant experience. First in high school and then right after I'd finished my undergraduate degree. I was thankful each time that I could find employment with little experience. This is a huge company and my experience with them have been different based on where I was working within the company. The corporate employees are treated with much more respect and appreciation than plant workers. I work in the quality control lab in the corn plant now since I've gotten a degree. The culture there is toxic and a swing shift schedule takes a toll on physical, mental, and emotional health. I'm thankful to have a job and thankful they took me on with little experience, but it's not a position to stay in for a long career.
Pros
3 or 4 days off in a week
Cons
swing shift, toxic culture
Operations Technitian
Co generation Operator (Current Employee) –  Midland, CODecember 24, 2018
my daily routine was always changing. I loved it.
great people
awsome pay
great insurance
management was nice
good learning exoerience
nice facilities
Sweat shop
Project Lead/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 18, 2018
This is literally a sweat shop paying below average wages and working enormous amount of hours. 24/7 on-call with an average of 3-5 calls per week due to system instabilities.
Pros
Cons
Work environment was horrible
ok work place and benefits
technical support (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 15, 2018
Generally ok workplace, absentee management. Not much room for learning. Culture is very dependent and expectant. Meeting customer needs is forefront. Employees are understanding and supportive.
Pros
Mostly good pay/benefits
Cons
High expectations\outsourcing most of IT
Job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Wisner, NEDecember 11, 2018
ADM advertised for a Class A CDL Driver. Hired on only to find out that I was a just a laborer that might move a truck in the yard. Also told that I would have to drive 65 miles to another ADM plant permanently. Because of a labor shortage. ADM didn't hold up to their word and agreement when I was hired on as a CDL driver. I was to park in my home town ADM plant, and drive semi truck locally. But they gave me the Bait and Switch Tactic to hire a body. Driving 65 miles one way for pay that was lower than my Current job in my hometown. If they didn't Lie to me, I would have retired from ADM. Check the reviews. There is a reason why ADM is always hiring. P.S. make sure you hold on to your old job like I did. You might need to go back.
Benefits
Cons
Lies. Too many Managers giving different orders. Double Talking.
Workinh for artco was great
Deckhand/Mate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 4, 2018
Working for Artco was great and the pay was great I only stop working for artco because I moved back home to Alabama and build a house but I had a lot of experience in the field of being a deckhand
Excellent Global Company
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 2, 2018
ADM is the largest public company of its type in the United States. They excel in collaboration, identifying talent, and supporting their employees. I recommend ADM to any interested in applying.
na
Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 28, 2018
it was a great experience, i would recommend for anyone trying to work in food production. A lot of moving parts but you also learn a lot. Work life balance was good too!
Fast paced
operator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 27, 2018
Fast paced environment where no two days were the same. Great pay and great team to work with. Uniforms provided. Safety contious. Located centrally in the city.
Pros
Great hours with lots of overtime
Cons
Non smoking
The employees and upper management are physical garbage.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mexico, MONovember 26, 2018
The general work day is easy enough but the people will destroy your every hope for having a good day. The job is outside in the weather, or inside very loud building which require you to have ear protection.
Pros
Pay, benifits
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archer Daniels Midland. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight