Archer Daniels Midland Employee Reviews

Lacks Stability
PC Systems Specialist/ IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 9, 2018
I enjoy my colleagues, but the constant restructuring has left the culture in constant turmoil. The uncertainty of job safety hinders the ability to excel, and I often feel overlooked even though I bring more to the table than many of my colleagues. It seems to be more about "who you know" rather than "what you can do" here. Oftentimes company fails to promote from within and develop current employees' skills and abilities in favor of contracting out and hiring externally at a lower rate of pay.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
office politics
Work environment is very unstable
Scale Automation Business Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 6, 2018
There is absolutely no loyalty to their employees you are viewed as a cost to the company instead of an asset! Might be a good place to work if you are looking for some work experience right out of college. If you looking for a long term position (more than 5 years) this will not be the place that you will want to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Constant threat of RIFs about every 3 to 5 years to drive down cost.
Great place to work with excellent job security.
Extraction Operator/Vacation Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEOctober 30, 2018
I worked for roughly 3 years at the Fremont ADM location and if you can ignore the shift swings it is a solid place to make a large amount of money with little wear on the body. You have to work 8 a.m to 4 p.m for 1 week. then you work 12 am to 8 am for 1 week then 4 pm to 12 am 1 week then you get 5 days off. it sounds harsh but you get paid a good amount and it has some of the best managers I've ever worked for. Would recommend highly as you can easily become a supervisor with enough time and make a life out of this job.
Pros
Relaxed management who are understanding. Great pay, Great benefits, Easy to learn job with high skill ceiling
Cons
Hours may cause stress due to changes, Sometimes work can be stressful or dirty, If someone calls in you often have to work 12 hours with no notice
Very good company to work for
Forklift Operator and Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYOctober 30, 2018
ADM is a great company to work for a long career. I was very satisfied how to they tread their employees and safety is the highest important thing tok
Pros
Good environment
Cons
good time for break
Productivity
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, GAOctober 28, 2018
I loved the productivity of the place. Loved how it provided you structure and discipline. The management was great. Did hire some incompentent people who abused the system.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Hours
Cons
Tiredness, Enviorment, Health Risks
Stressful work place
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 25, 2018
Very stressful. You’ll have no outside contact once your on the clock. No cell phones allowed. Your being bird dogged on by management every work order you perform which makes it hard to do your job.
stay away
Maintenance A (Former Employee) –  Enderlin, NDOctober 21, 2018
look at the pay scale average for this company , that should cause you pause. The company safety slogan is zero is possible, more accurate would be zero is probable, as anything that might happen to an employee at the workplace will be blamed on the effected employee 100% of the time regardless of any circumstance. Management has zero accountability , I worked there for 23 years before I finally got fed up , it was not hard to find another job that could beat what they offered. There are many good hard working employees who work there mainly on the hourly side they deserve better. On the salary side this is where the fat needs to be cut, most make very little or no contribution during any given work day. ADM is a 10 billion dollar per year company. After three consecutive years of record profits ADM rewarded its employees with a $300 reward , that was the equivalent to about 1 cent for each hour worked worked for the hourly employees during the three years of record profits. Do your self a favor and keep looking you can do better.
Pros
very few they do offer a pension it is not much but at least one is offered.
Cons
Management, low pay poor benefit package
my time at adm
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 16, 2018
long hours good pay job security advancement options. lots of knowledge to gain. fast pace friendly co workers lots of overtime overal decent job if you can handle the schedule
Commodity Merchandising intern
Commodity Merchandising Intern (Former Employee) –  Ledbetter, KYOctober 15, 2018
The role was great. HR made sure we had the resources we needed to be successful. Get opportunities to travel and visit other branches. Don't really get a say in where your location will be in the future.
Pros
Paid travel, decent pay
Cons
No say in where you end up
Great Company Poor Leadership
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 10, 2018
Leadership in previous role was a micro manager. Did not communicate down to provide key business updates. Open communication and ideas were not appreciated but instead viewed as combative.
Pros
Great Company with an amazing future., CEO is in the drivers seat, CEO connects with all divisions and employees, Mission of the company is clear
Cons
Current manager is out of touch with the needs of the team, Under communicates and micromanages, Holds information close to the vest leaving a cloud of anxiety and fear to employees, Is not consistant in ways of managing individual leaders, Any differing opinion will leave you on a target list

Want to know more about Archer Daniels Midland?

Ask a question
Interesting dynamic
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 8, 2018
This company did a good job of training most personnel. Unfortunately when I worked there, the training program was lacking. There wasn't enough structure in that respect, but overall it was an ok environment to work in.
productive place to work
Technician I (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 8, 2018
. We sit a toolbox safety meeting. I then proceed to assemble filtration products until 4:30 pm. workplace is very laid back and people get along well together. i enjoy most aspects of my job, but i feel it is time for a change to better myself.
Mission driven company
Operations Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, INOctober 8, 2018
ADM is a 3/5 star corporation. You are a number to them and a disposable figure. There are performance based increases, but no company-wide or personal bonuses given.
Productive and fast paced
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 7, 2018
Work that keeps you busy but not grueling, not much of a work life balance because of the schedule of rotating shifts. Now that it has converted to a 12 hour shift, it may be better.
Fast pace, friendly co-workers
Grain Elevator Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Ledge, MIOctober 7, 2018
Long hours during harvest . Great group of people to work with for my duration. Great time while it lasted, but not for anyone that doesn’t want to work. You will be working rain, sun or snow.
Pros
Management bought lunches once in a while
Cons
Family time
Would not recommend
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 3, 2018
Not a good place to work if you have any children or commitments outside of work. Any position not salaried will require a lot of overtime with little to no regard to your obligations outside of work. Guaranteed to work weekends and holidays. Poor management and not a good culture all around to work.
Pros
Salaried Postions
Cons
Bad management and work hours
Good place to work, leave feeling you achieved something each day.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAOctober 2, 2018
Good place to work, leave feeling you achieved something each day. Good environment and helpful people. Very safe oriented place to work. Plenty of room to grow and move up.
by far my favorite job
Scale Clerk (Current Employee) –  Macon, ILOctober 1, 2018
I absolutely love my job at ADM, it is a very hands on job. i live the people and the customers that i work with. it is a very safe working environmet.
Awful Management
Energy Engineer (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAOctober 1, 2018
The management at ADM is concerned with one thing and one thing only: Wall Street. Maybe that is as it should be, but it makes for a horrid working environment. They also talk a big game on safety, but as I personally found out, when it comes right down to it, it's all just talk.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor management, lax safety, zero opportunity to advance.
fast paced environment
Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 28, 2018
I work on the trade floor. There is a lot of things going on around you. This is a fast paced environment and a great learning experience. I have worked in several areas within the company and feel that it is a great company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archer Daniels Midland. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight