Archer Daniels Midland Employee Reviews

Solid company, good people, excellent products.
Marketing Manager - Ruminant Products (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILFebruary 12, 2019
Solid company, good people, excellent products. ADM has a long and strong history as a food and energy global company. ADM has a lot of assets and strong people on their team.
Team Oriented
Senior Global Security Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 7, 2019
A typical day as a Senior Global Security Operator would include, but not limited to one or a combination of the following that we were responsible to respond to; medical emergencies, other emergencies, and security issues.

Management was fair, understanding, open minded, and professional.

The culture was relaxed, but also professional.

There were a lot duties in this position and sometimes all of those duties needed my attention at the same time. For example, I could have been tending to a medical emergency and also have been notified of a fire within the plant. Both scenarios are serious and need my immediate attention. Therefore I would have had to respond to both accordingly at the same time. I was fortunate enough to have efficient help from my manager, coworkers, and access to the necessary policies.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers. I also appreciated how involved the managers were with the assisting with needs of all of the employees.
Pros
Open Minded Management
Cons
We weren't able to leave the campus for lunch or other breaks
Typical Grain Elevator Job
Management (Current Employee) –  WestFebruary 4, 2019
Like any other business the position has its busy and slow times of the year. Depending on where you are located will determine how many hours a week you will work. If you are at a smaller country elevator you may only work 45 hours per week versus a terminal where management works 60+ routinely.
Can be stressful at times with customer Audits and internal audits as well
Environmental Health & Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 2, 2019
I grew professionally at this employment but toward the end of my employment I accumulated too many responsibilities for one person to handle excuse you
Pros
A lot of support from my boss and plant management
Cons
Too much responsibility
Small community with big business.
Procurement - Category Lead (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Nice place to work. ADM offers a variety of careers which gives you options to work in a multitude of roles without leaving the company. Many employees stay for their whole careers.
Pros
Onsite lunch options, free gym, many career options
Cons
small community, not many things going on outside of work
Stressful
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNJanuary 31, 2019
Not a very rewarding job. 1 mistake is always remembered. And anything good above and beyond that is done is easily forgotten. Raises are not transparent even though they have a fairly good quarterly review program. Due to the constant switching between days and nights and stress and worry about making a mistake fellow coworkers are on edge and feel they have to look out for themselves constantly. Instead of being able to truly being able to be a team.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
Swing shift
was an alright place to work
maintenance 1 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 26, 2019
Always amazes me how something as simple as a personal change can ruin a good job and a good place to work. Only once have I seen such a high level of dis-regard for a co-worker. Such a blatant demonstration off brown nosing and back stabbing intentionally trying to make someone look bad in order for you to possibly advance. And this coming from "the new guy." If you get hired into the maintenance department, all I can say is watch your back. Especially on second shift.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
no chance of advancement, cut throat, back stabbing amongst co-workers
stressfull and had to pick up everyones slack.
fork lift driver bolter blender (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 25, 2019
they have you doing a 2 man job people just didn't care about company.did my work and aslso work of other employees.i take my job to heart and made sure everything was to the best of my capacity.people were lazy and did as little as possible.always did more than needed too.would look for any reason for what you may have done wrong but never seen the part of how much you go out of your we
ay to make sure everything was well maintained.
Pros
worked alot of overtime.
Cons
favoritism.too many jobs at 1 time.alot of things to be fixed but overlooked
Soul killing culture
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waggaman, LAJanuary 24, 2019
Waggaman office. Horrible company culture. Lies. HR WOMAN is a snake. Dispatch manager is two face liar. Very racist and sexist working environment. Recentfired most management because of noose threat video that caused major lawsuit. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. STAY AWAY.
Pros
Pay ok
Cons
Dancing with devil.
Excellent place to work
Project supervisor (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 20, 2019
ADM is a very solid, successful forward looking company. The management team has a strong commitment to safety , quality and environment in all aspects of business with a vested interest in the progress and development of employees.
Where to start!!!
Laborer. (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2019
Worked there through a temp agency in the oil area. First I would like to say they are severely understaffed for the area they expect one person to cover. I imagine it’s to save money. A few people were cool to be around but the majority weren’t. I guess being a temp leaves you open to be treated poorly. They have you work 12 hour shifts which I don’t mind but they had people alternating between nights and days which sucks and expect you to climb silos at night with limited lighting. The final straw was I had a family funeral out of state and had to stay a day longer than I told them and they cancelled the contract cause they said I gave them little warning. Who the heck plans when people pass away I’m not psychic and funeral plans were out of my control and I was out of town.
Pros
Money was ok
Cons
Everything else
Never
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Webberville, MIJanuary 6, 2019
Don’t do it!!!!!! Please stay away. Low pay. Farmers are were cool. But management no!! Starting pay 10 an hour. Really??? You are nothing to them. Trust me stay away!!!
Challenging work with a lot of moving parts.
Ethanol Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAJanuary 4, 2019
Great team to work with and a deep talent pool. Technical aspects of job are equally as important as personnel skill, Fast paced, and adapting to change must be ingrained in one's psyche as continuous improvement is a high priority.
Pros
Challenggin work.
Cons
Tough to align priorities.
low self esteem maintenance and management employees
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCJanuary 3, 2019
Be aware of the low self esteem folks ( blue hats or ADM employees) as they will tell lies on others as they have very limited knowledge. Management is even worse as I would classify their knowledge level equivalent to that of a poultry processing plant reject. After all this facility is a food manufacturing plant. If you want employment whereas you get treated like an idiot everyday, this is the place for you... The person writing this review is 50 years old with over 25 years industrial and management experience. By the way, I was just recently hired into management by one of their competitors for a lot more money! Good Luck Lori and Tara...In conclusion the folks at ADM need to understand there is absolutely ADM has that I need!
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
absolutley everthing
Good Place to Work/salary not so much for me
HAVC Tech/Maintenance Shop Forman (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 3, 2019
I liked working at ADM and I liked what i did. Got a chance to work on a lot of different pieces of equipment and learned a lot. Although, I did a lot of work and I don't feel I got compensated right.
Pros
good environment/ good people
Cons
favoritism and some back stabbing
Great Place to Work, but...
Commodities Trader (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNJanuary 2, 2019
ADM is a solid company providing opportunities for growth, but the human eliminate can be lost at times. The company overall trains its employees and gives them opportunity to fail or succeed.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Human Relations
Positive Enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Dodge City, KSJanuary 2, 2019
The people and place was very positive and the training was very excellent. I really liked my job there but left for the simple fact that FedEx was hiring and really like the idea of driving on the road.
Pros
Small Mill
Cons
Very caring management.
Huge disconnect between management and employees.
"Laborer" (Current Employee) –  No way im saying they'll fire me.December 30, 2018
Long work days from 8-12 hours, 7 days a week and swing shift (rotating between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd). Show up and expect to work 12 hours if your relief calls in. Hot (115+ in the summer) and dirty work. Weekends off only by request and availability, when you take off everyone else works 12hrs and vice versa. Only other time off is for plant fogging (1 day a month) or holidays. Poor use of down time. Management doesn't care how much you have to work, they're off every weekend. They will find you busy work if there is nothing to do instead of optional time off. Good pay only because you work 60-80hrs a week. This work life has crippled and ended many marriages of employees. They do not promote whose best for the position, rather they promote whose kisses the most a**. I've never worked for a company this mismanaged and its disheartening. Dont look at this place as a career. It's a revolving door and your just a number.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list
Teamwork makes the dream work
Solvent Extraction operator (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNDecember 28, 2018
ADM-Red Wing, is a smaller plant compared to others, so it had it shortfalls. Foreman are company, plant workers are union, so you are stuck in one or the other.

They pay very well, but it is rotating shift work 24/7 365, so it can take some time to get used to.

Time off is limited, your first couple years you get 2 weeks, no sick time.

If you are on a good crew, everything is like family, and runs like clockwork, if you have a poor foreman or plant worker on your crew, it can be a toxic and miserable place to work.

It is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, in the summer/fall you do a lot of confined space entry, and get super dirty cleaning the equipment.
Pros
pay, snacks and meals from time to time, union= something of a raise per year
Cons
shift work, holidays, some managers shouldnt be managers
Great Company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 27, 2018
ADM was an excellent company to work for. There was tremendous opportunity to grow. I loved working at the Baltimore grain elevator. This is where I learned to become a great supervisor. Our work staff including upper management were some of the greatest most respectful people I have ever worked with. I miss it very much and remember all the long nights exporting grain onto the ships. It could be stressful at times but truly memorable. The experience I have gained working for ADM has been priceless. They could of paid me a little more because I was a hard worker and a valuable asset to the company but I never complained about it.
Pros
Great people, excellent benefits and a lot of opportunity for growth
Cons
It was very disappointing that they did not pay to fix the grain pier

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Archer Daniels Midland. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight