Area Wide Protective Employee Reviews

Terrible management, no raise
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 6, 2018
The management is awful. Money owed is often not paid or is broken into payments to avoid paying overtime. Long hours spent traveling without pay. The raise promised upon being hired is not given. Extremely limited opportunities to use the bathroom for women, as the men relieve themselves on the side of the road. Management will often use temps instead of employees to cut costs. Overall, working for them was a terrible experience.
Pros
Time spent outside
Cons
Everything else
Run away as fast as you can....
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 29, 2018
This is the worst company I have EVER worked for. Management does NOT care about you at all or what you think. You are NOT a priority to them. A LOT of unpaid travel, no benefits, poor working condition, no breaks, no lunch, treated very poorly by management the list goes on and on. If you speak your mind, you WILL pay for it one way or another. This all being said, is from experience, not just mine, but from other co-workers too. If you have been out of work, and you absolutely need a job, and you are hired on, by all means take the job, but continue to look for a better company. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this company for long time employment. The only reason i gave this company 1 star is because zero stars was not an option. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN....
Pros
Cons
no lunches, no breaks, poor communication, poor treatment by management, unpaid travel, etc....
Absolutely terrible.
Flagger/Traffic Control (Current Employee) –  Brodheadsville, PAJanuary 25, 2019
Worst place I have ever worked at by far. Immature and just plain dumb coworkers, naive management, absolutely terrible pay. They will find loopholes and excuses not to give you benefits and not to give you hours . They will say you need to be available every day. Then at the last minute they will give you off. They will not work with your schedule at all. They want respect and decency, then give none in return. When it comes down to it pay is what matters most,and you will not make enough to stay alive, very poor treatment. I will leave the second I find anything else.
Pros
You feel good knowing that you are helping to keep people safe on our roadways.
Cons
Everything that matters
Dont apply
Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
I started working here And during training I was told one thing and then as we were growing things have changed the hours My pay was always messed up management has no idea what they're doing And I speak for 90% of the employees because we all talk nobody ever last most people are looking for other jobs you can't survive and live doing this type of work with them so much I would love to say more but this is the worst job i ever had Definitely looking for new employment it's a JOKE.
Pros
Cons
Pay no benefits no paided time off everything you could think of
The one star reviews are correct.
Senior Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisSeptember 5, 2018
Where do I even start. They’re constantly hiring a lot of people for a reason....The hours are sporadic, you’re treated horribly and management does not care about you, only about the numbers and filling jobs. No repect, you always work with different coworkers, never being set with the same partner, you’ll drive for hours being sent all over without getting paid till you arrive and are standing out in the sun and hot pavement/ice and snow, you stand there for hours several times never even getting any break from the contractors. If you bring it up with any of the management they don’t care and just ask if you took care of the contractor and got the job done for the day. Several other issues but I don’t have the time to list and explain everything, just avoid this company at all costs, you’ve been warned.
Cons
Often times no breaks, no respect, people who were injured on the job were told to pay for the hospital themselves, and not to file or they would be fired. Terrible, shady company.
Worst compensation in the traffic control field
Traffic Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 14, 2018
AWP is the worst traffic control company to work for.

They appear high functioning, with their fancy new trucks, pristine road equipment and uniforms, but in reality, all of these things come at the cost of employee salary.

Traffic control is a highly in demand service, paid for by huge corporations, cities and states, and even small, high yield construction companies; the average pay for entry level employees in this field is $18/hour, and up to $36/hour for career flaggers.

AWP starts everyone at $11/hour, and will never give you more than $14/hour, no matter how long you've been with them.

They are purposely underpaying employees to garner contracts with big companies and utility providers, and it's gutting what should be a well paying field.
Lied to about raise
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2019
Was told over the phone by corporate about receiving a 15 dollar raise after a 90 day probation. The company won’t give you a raise after the 90 days and make sure you are constantly checking your hours cuz you will get shorted hours....be aware most of the old/elderly people that work there think they know everything when they really don’t
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Too much
Excellent work force!
Senior Traffic control specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 16, 2018
I have worked for this company for three years. They have been family. If you are a motivated person with work force drive you will do well. I have a bonus every three months. I was able to transfer to a new location and keep my pay and hours. Once you become an driver you will have a company truck for company purpose. But it saves you gas and transportation issues. So there is that! I have insurance. Once you advance you get paid holidays. There is a program after you are there so long that is called ,The 36 hour. Once you advanced you can be selected for the garanteed 36 hour list. If you work outside then you understand bad weather can mean bad pay days, this program helps alot of employees... The classes and certicates are highly educational for the field. The management is absolutely wonderful and accept all walks of life. There is not discrimination of any sort here. As long as you do not have a felony on your record and a valid driver's license you can become employees through the employment process. I find it an rewarding job. Your keeping people safe on the roadways. It's rewarding and important work. I have never had a bad experience here.
Pros
Pay, advancement
Cons
Weather is what you will battle the most, adjusting to the outside environment.
Seasonally Fast Paced
Employee (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 18, 2018
Very busy from April to the end of October. Winter time it slows down, requiring employees to seek other means of employment to pay the bills. The company has made effective raises to lessen the employee turnover.
Awfulness
Flagger/Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHSeptember 17, 2018
I was lied to from the get go. I was told there was plenty of work yet I worked 6 hours...yes 6 hrs my first week. Communication sucks!! I sat up one morning waiting for my driver to pick me up for a job and he never showed. AWP sent him to a different job and not one person cared to tell me! I never worked with the same partner twice which really sucked . I NEVER knew who I would be with or where I would be. I was told when I was hired that I would be picked up every day..LIES. I would be scheduled to drive myself an 1 1/2 away. I could go on and on. So I'm just going to leave you with this... Don't work here. Go somewhere with better pay, guaranteed hours, and better training and management.
Cons
No communication, no hours, low pay, not enough training
They are a joke don’t work there
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 20, 2019
First of all the HR lies to you from the being. Then you go to training then they shoot you straight. Management in Lexington tries to work with you but if your like me can’t afford to drive 183 miles everyday. And then they want you to drive and meet people when hr says they will pick you up close to your house. Would not work there. Then if no one is near you with a truck they want you to drive to the work site. Which majority of them are in Louisville
Pros
Cons
Joke
Great pay!
Senior Taffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 16, 2018
Although you work outside most of the job, you do enjoy the pay at the end of the week. The managers are fair and do live up to their codes and procedures. You will often get tested in what you learned in training throughout your career to make sure that you stay sharp. This is more than a plus because it is human nature to forget, even if you have been there for years. If you don't use it, you loose it, as they say.
I think that it is an amazing way to provide for your family, if you are determined to work hard and play even harder!
Pros
Paid training, weekly pay, unlimited overtime.
Cons
You are considered a "part-time" employee, therefore you do not get benefits, even if it is after years of service.
i would tell anybody to find better work
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Oakwood, OHOctober 5, 2018
AWP needs to pay they employees more pay they need to care about they employees and not just the company that who contracts them...they need to know when you thats u must give a verbal waring then a write up then a termination letter if the problem still occurs..they need to offer life insurance policies for they employees they also need to give them medical benifits sooner then a yearand they need to cut out all the freaky behavior thats going on they also need to have one man and 1lady as a pm
Decent job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 20, 2018
I worked in the Cincinnati office. Management team was cool and helped me with any problems i had. If you can’t stand on your feet for 8 hours a day this job is not for you. You start at 11 but if you want to become a driver and become a lead the managers will get you into driver class within a week. Get your own take up truck which is cool. Only reason i left is a higher paying job.
Pros
Take home truck, hours if you want them
Cons
Different partners, low pay at start.
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 14ST.January 9, 2019
Be ready to travel and out of states always be on time built to withstand different weather climates never work on weekends unless we're out of state or is emergency out-of-state what we need to be out of town always home on time at night great competitive pay not a bad job at all I would recommend a WP to anyone who's looking for Georgia special high school students or someone who hasn't worked in quite some time
Poor Management
Senior traffic control specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2018
Poor management and the boss chooses who he wants to hire full time and the project manager has issues and rude. Pay sucks no benefits for a year and hours suck. This is in the columbus ohio 107 branch
Cons
not a good place to work
Flagger/Traffic Control (Current Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHSeptember 26, 2018
Area wide proctective has you label as a part time worker while working you full time shifts. there is no lunch breaks and you stand outside all day under all weather conditions. when need to restroom breaks you have to use a potterpotty that is not clean. also they are no benefits while you are standing in the middle of traffic where cars are not paying attention . the employees do not take the job serious they gossip on the phone all day , leave thier partners behind.
Pros
Cons
No benefits No luch or restroom breaks
Good job/Bad facility manager
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pelzer, SCAugust 26, 2018
Job was good. Management was good, but facility manager picked her favorites. Long hours, be ready to work all hours of the night. But the money is good
Balanced to a point
Traffic Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Eastern, KYAugust 5, 2018
Though the main office is in Charleston WV I was provided with the necessary equipment necessary to conduct my daily job. I had little daily contact with the main office. This is good and bad. Good that if I didn't need to contact the main office I had a good day. Bad that if I had to contact them I seldom received a follow up. The main office's attention was focused on those who came to the office daily. I possessed a vehicle and equipment that I kept at my residence in order to conduct my daily duties.

Job was stressful with dealing with local traffic. It is amazing how many people who do not see a person on the side of the road with a stop/ slow sign dressed in bright yellow jacket.

There was a lot of traveling, work in diverse weather, and some great people. The only problem I had was working with some people who were not very motivated.
Pros
Management were not on my back every day.
Cons
Management failed to follow up on issues.
AWP is not the place to be
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2018
DO NOT APPLY, this is a horrible job. The perfect example of bringing the HOOD into a business environment. Completely unprofessional and I mean completely
Pros
The fact that you have a job!
Cons
Poor Management, Terrible work environment, Long hours with check to check pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Area Wide Protective. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5