Area Wide Protective Employee Reviews

Worst compensation in the traffic control field
Traffic Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 14, 2018
AWP is the worst traffic control company to work for.

They appear high functioning, with their fancy new trucks, pristine road equipment and uniforms, but in reality, all of these things come at the cost of employee salary.

Traffic control is a highly in demand service, paid for by huge corporations, cities and states, and even small, high yield construction companies; the average pay for entry level employees in this field is $18/hour, and up to $36/hour for career flaggers.

AWP starts everyone at $11/hour, and will never give you more than $14/hour, no matter how long you've been with them.

They are purposely underpaying employees to garner contracts with big companies and utility providers, and it's gutting what should be a well paying field.
Awp
Traffic Control Technician Flagger (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 10, 2018
AWP is Part-time on call. You wait for your job to text you with hours, location and time your working. If the manager likes you, you will work 12-14 hour days. If he doesn't like you, you will work 20 hours a week. Training is good, very dangerous job, follow the rules your fine. Get as many certifications as you can. Long HOT days.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
No vacation time, no sick days, no benefits, no health care.
A joke of a job
Sr. Flagger/Traffic Control (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 10, 2018
You many "leaders" not enough workers. Everyone thinks they are the boss. The actual bosses don't know what they are talking about. A certain project manager gets his jollies being a complete a hole. You'll get wrote up for anything. Pay sucks. Hours suck. The way they pair you up makes no sense. Office manager never answered anybody's phone calls
Pros
Truck to drive
Cons
Everything else
easy but lacks
Flagger (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 7, 2018
This is one of my favorite jobs dispite not getting paid enough The undependendable hours and the lowsey management never being home on a good day and
Pros
Easy work. Unlimited water ig.
Cons
Everything else.
Enjoyed the work itself
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHAugust 5, 2018
I enjoyed the work itself while employed but can't say much about advancement opportunities, the quality of overall management or quality of employees hired.
Balanced to a point
Traffic Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Eastern, KYAugust 5, 2018
Though the main office is in Charleston WV I was provided with the necessary equipment necessary to conduct my daily job. I had little daily contact with the main office. This is good and bad. Good that if I didn't need to contact the main office I had a good day. Bad that if I had to contact them I seldom received a follow up. The main office's attention was focused on those who came to the office daily. I possessed a vehicle and equipment that I kept at my residence in order to conduct my daily duties.

Job was stressful with dealing with local traffic. It is amazing how many people who do not see a person on the side of the road with a stop/ slow sign dressed in bright yellow jacket.

There was a lot of traveling, work in diverse weather, and some great people. The only problem I had was working with some people who were not very motivated.
Pros
Management were not on my back every day.
Cons
Management failed to follow up on issues.
Lack of promotions
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 3, 2018
Awp is an company to easily get into but as time progresses you will not. The chances of moving up in their industry is slim to none. The experience and knowledge the do give is the best you will find on traffic safety.
Change of pace relaxed
Traffic Control Specialists (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 2, 2018
This job was a first for me and i enjoyed every minute i was there, i appreciate the time spent and what i learned during my time there definitely a plus.
good company to work for
traffic control specialist (Former Employee) –  1577 harmon ave columbus ohioAugust 2, 2018
awp was another job that I liked doig but they didn't pay very much,and their raise were not that good,and I experienced a great amount of bios their.
n/a
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 31, 2018
its a nice job the only issue was with the hours they didn't give much hours and when you did called in for work they were long 10-16 hour shifts the best part was the 12.00 an hour to start off
Pros
your pay is very nice
Cons
short breaks

Want to know more about Area Wide Protective?

Ask a question
AWP is not the place to be
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2018
DO NOT APPLY, this is a horrible job. The perfect example of bringing the HOOD into a business environment. Completely unprofessional and I mean completely
Pros
The fact that you have a job!
Cons
Poor Management, Terrible work environment, Long hours with check to check pay.
I work one day a week sometimes up to three days week. Bad job due to very little money due to new hire lack of work. P/T hire is low on job placing.
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 26, 2018
Not able to pay my bills with this job.Full time employee goes to office and waits whenever job ends that day and sits around at office until the gets there full eight hours in so they can get there eight hours in. New hires go home at end of job and only earns only the on-site pay.That lousy!
Pros
Cons
Home time
Flagger/Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 16, 2018
Good Company that gets a lot of hours. It's not t a promise job due to the weather ,job duties are o the roads . You als can recive CPR and HAACP certification Physically fit
Setting up cones and making zones
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 13, 2018
Would meet up with an electrical crew early in the morning around 6, would have to have the truck ready before than, so be at the truck by 4:30 to have it all set up, and then go to a site with electrical trucks and shut down a lane or direct traffic safely.
Don't work there
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OH 45014July 12, 2018
Never respected and will be replaced tomorrow if needed to be. They don't treat people with respect and their always having classes for new hires every week. Pay is terrible and rarely have a partner. I did however love working with some of the crews, but as far as the company their terrible.
A job
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2018
The job is not hard other than being in all types of weather conditions and dodging idiots who can't drive. You can get plenty of over time and they provide transportation from office.
Pros
easy laid back good people
Cons
pay weather boring a lot of standing
AWP Flagger
Flagger (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 4, 2018
Hours are being messed up, don’t call u back to work when there suppose to for work, u talk with one boss and they send u on a run around when ur trying to speak to someone in chain and command. Company does not seem promising at all. Still waiting to get a lot of hours I got a family to support and bills to pay. I gave it a chance to the company for a month Im already looking for a different job. Not enough work... had to fight for my 40 hours and I shouldn’t have to.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Everything about this company is bad
Great company, great people
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 2, 2018
I believe in AWP and their mission, and so does everyone else on the team! Great environment. Leadership are some of the best people for whom I've ever worked!
Don’t work here
Traffic Control Specialist North Canton (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHJune 29, 2018
Terrible
All lies
Save yourself the headache
This place just lies and lies
Nothing is worth going to this job for 10 an hour
Lies lies lies lies lie
Pros
Cons
Everything lying
A place where rules exist but don’t.
Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 28, 2018
AWP was a decent place to work. I really hated the way drive time is handled. I also hate how the partner match up system works. Yes. You get a random partner everyday. Little to no time at home especially if you are a driver. The trucks at my office were trash and management was sub par.
Pros
Sometimes days were very relaxed.
Cons
No breaks. Everyone does everything differently

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Area Wide Protective. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6