Arizona Department of Child Safety
Happiness rating is 51 out of 100

Arizona Department of Child Safety Employee Reviews

United States92 reviews

Good place to start

Good benefits. If you have good supervisor, you’re set. They expect you to work a lot but pay does not compensate the stress that you have to go through

Great opportunity and job experience

DCS represented a great opportunity for professional growth. You will be entitled to perform different task which will represent learn about the state agency and legal implications. Other tasks will force you to give your time and drive around the state at different times during the day and even nights or weekends. OT not paid sometimes and you will be able to flex it instead.

Pros

Salaries

Cons

Your time belongs to the agency

Arizona Department of Child Safety insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Good mission horrible workplace

It is like being transported back to High school with the drama, gossip,disrespect and cliques. The supervisor encourgae the behaviors from certain workers. It is a very stressful job and even with the best time management and training deadlines hit hard. There is very little support or training to prepare you especially in the ongoing unit.

Terrible

The management at this place is laughable. I was there for over 6 years and it would take an act of God to get a day off. Sometimes the days would be taken away after they were approved. Upper management will not hold themselves accountable for anything but they will hold you accountable for their own mistakes. I can honestly say I was treated like a “number” not a human being. Zero work life balance. They cannot retain staff whatsoever.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else under the sun

I don’t recommend working for the Department of Child Safety.

To succeed in this field, you need to work under a manager who knows what they’re doing and cares about child safety. CORE training doesn’t prepare you for what you see in the field. A lot of trauma, abuse and neglect. It’s hard to do your job when you don’t know what you’re doing and nobody is helping you or guiding you. Turnover rate is through the roof. Cases keep coming in and there’s no consideration for your personal mental health. A lot of these cases, the children don’t need to be removed from the home. Children can remain in the home with their parents, where services are implemented and a responsible adult is in the home. The investigators are pretty sneaky and don’t really investigate. Caregivers will admit to harming a child, but the case will close out due to “not enough findings.” Telling parents they haven’t made the changes when they have is insane. You can’t make a decision without staffing with upper management. The people who do work for this department have absolutely no consideration for the well being of children. They just love telling parents how much of a terrible parent they are. Plus, the pay is low and the benefits aren’t worth it. No opportunity for advancement. All the “veteran” workers are leaving for better careers, and the “newbies” don’t last very long. Parents go through about five case managers during the duration of their case being open. Children are moved around and that in itself causes so much trauma. Children don’t know what’s going on and you don’t get to explain to them. Don’t waste your time applying and working here, your mental -

NOT Work from Home position. Stressful workplace, little support from management. As a new hire, considered in training, but already getting cases.

Workplace culture is stressful. Working for this company, a big let down. Training has not been sufficient to prepare, Feel un supported by management

Pros

The bennies are good

Cons

Too many to list

Understaffed and overworked

DCS has potential to be a good place to work in. It takes 2 months of training to be able to start getting cases. Turnover rate is high so you end up inheriting cases from coworkers. It makes it difficult when those inherited cases already have documents that are late including court reports. Caseload was at 45 children assigned to me when I left the agency. It’s hard to manage when you need to see each child in their foster placement every month on top of keeping up with behavioral health, parents services/needs, foster parent services /needs and documentation for each one of those children.

Pros

Benefits, supportive management

Cons

Understaffed, working late evenings, burnout

Stressful and overwhelming with little to no help

This job is overall a lot in so many different areas. It is mentally draining and the clients can be very disrespectful. There is no protection you are allowed to carry as you go to these strangers houses. You just have to hope and pray nothing gets out of hand. There are lots of feelings of anxiety and stress. The caseload is insane and nearly impossible to manage without doing hours of overtime every week. There is minimal guidance from the upper management unless you get lucky with a great supervisor. The pay is not worth the work that is getting performed. I asked for a lateral transfer in a section in the department I felt I could perform better in and I was told no. The department is so policy driven, they do not care about you as a person. I was sick and they were more worried about the timing of me being sick and since it was around a holiday I needed to get documentation of me being sick because me being an adult and recognizing when I need rest does not mean much. Policy policy policy is all you hear about and it is very annoying. The women I worked with were amazing but I could not let my mental health suffer any longer.

Pros

The people you work with Good benefits

Cons

Everything else

This job does not pay enough for the work that is being done.

The best thing about this job is the coworkers and peers. They will do their best to teach and help when it is necessary. However, upper management does not seem to care about the workers or lower supervisors. When concerns were brought up I was told to "wait it out". This job is not worth the money and definitely not worth your sanity.

Pros

Coworkers are helpful and kind and try their best to help, Flexible enough hours that you are able to make appointments

Cons

Supervisors do not respond to concerns about the work environment, Supervisor do not seem to appreciate the workers, Not enough resources given to effectively help families

Very poor upper management

You are not respected or treated with respect. You ask for assistance it falls on deaf ears. Interpersonal relationships skills are lacking with upper management and that has caused confusion and distrust.

Benefits

Cons

Read “Your Review” for the answer

Coworkers are great. Too high case loads and not enough time to get documentation done.

I liked the job but it is very fast paced. There is too much paperwork and never enough time to get it done so you are always behind. Going to court can be rough, but I learned not to take it personal. My supervisor was supportive but got a lot of pressure from her supervisor who was demanding. I had a nice group of people that I worked with and miss them. It isn't for everyone but it's worth a try. Working there was a great experience and I learned a lot while I was there. It's like a crash course in social work!

Pros

Fast paced, and you are on your own a lot. I Loved working with the children and families.

Cons

Too much documentation and reports, Everything is always due at once, Never felt like i could catch up.

Review

DCS does not care how management treats employees. When they have no use for you, they work on pushing you out. If you are someone who closes not follow in line, no matter what, you will be targeted. They do not care if the work environment is hostile or not. They cover their butts!

There is a policy for that.

Policy. Policy. Policy. If the department made the people whom create policy actually work in the field, I can assure you that there would be many less.

Pros

Retirement

Cons

Stress, policy, government

Job security

I enjoyed working here, only because of my unit ad coworkers. They need to pay their workers more. They do so much and spend so much of their time there helping kids.

Pros

You find good people

Cons

Schedules not flexible

They mean well but its not always the case

Although DCS is needed in most cases to ensure child safety and prevent children from abuse, neglect and poor parenting, in some instances DCS was not on the parents side and all the bureaucracy made it difficult for me to stay. Great benefits, health insurance was a few dollars per paycheck, your coworkers are willing to help you but are often times burned out. Case load is insane and you end up driving from Queen Creek to El Mirage on the same day and working long hour shifts.

Pay

.The pay is too low. U can make more at a fast food restaurant. The benefits are good, 401k too high. They dont have good management. It takes too long to hire new workers. They need better training.

Benefits

Cons

Pay

Overworked, unreasonable case loads, manipulative management

I have been here for 7 years and have watched caseworkers come and go frequently due to being overworked and under supported. Case loads ridiculously high, unrealistic expectations and demands

Pros

Good health insurance

Cons

Too large case loads, unrealistic expectations, manipulative management who show favoritism

No reason given for termination, communication between departments very broken.

Terrible upper management communication. No reason given for termination, communication between departments very broken. Corporate office unreachable.

Good

I contracted with AZDCS and found the management to be communicative, my coworkers very helping and the work life balance was great too. We had enough resources and weren't overloaded.

Impossible work load, overworked and under-appreciated employees.

DCS sets employees up for failure with their job requirements, case load, and under-appreciation of staff. Upper management is slow to address problems within the work place and will push the importance of following the "Chain of Command", however, DCS will shut down all employee identified concerns at all levels within the chain. DCS has a very high case load and there are consistent reports for each case, it is very easy to be behind on documentation even taking a sick day will set you behind in your work causing problems for you with supervisors and for your performance reviews (maps). The work week is advertised as 40 hours however you will frequently find yourself voluntarily working 45 hours a week as your work load is so high you do not have the time for an hour lunch. DCS is very hesitant about paid overtime and will give immense push back and will ask you to flex your hours rather than pay you for your work. The unwillingness to pay over time reinforces the employee's needs to voluntarily work through their lunch in order to get document's completed in a timely manner. The Department consistently encourages employees to take lunch breaks but it is merely not possible in this position.High turnover among supervisors adds to work stressors as it does effect the employees ability to get required documentation in on time. Every supervisor has different requirements for their documentation (court reports, CCSRA'S, and case plans) when a supervisor is switched out it will take months for an employee to get used to the new supervisor's requirements. Employees hard work -

Pros

Interacting with children and seeing parents succeed.

Cons

Workload, under appreciated staff, low pay, horrible management, hard to get paid overtime.

DCS Investigator

Perks are that it is a state job and they offer a retirement program and benefits. The pay for the job is ridiculous! Everyone here has a college degree with most degrees being in Social Work, but the pay is horrendous. We go out and serve the public and work long tedious hours and do not get paid what we are worth. I know a lot of jobs are this way, but ensuring the safety and well being of children should not be taken lightly. This is a mentally draining job with high case loads. The pay should match what we do.

Common questions about Arizona Department of Child Safety

Answered by current and former employees at Arizona Department of Child Safety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Department of Child Safety. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits