Arizona Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

verbal skills
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Douglas, AZApril 16, 2019
I use my verbal skills to deescalate situations. I learned to observe situations and study them. I enjoyed working with different people. The hardest part of the job was unexpected.
Pros
job security
Do not get sucked in
Youth Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2019
Awful place to work. Unrealistic expectations and no help form the higher ups. High stress and low pay. Each supervisor has different rules to follow.
Pros
some decent coworkers
Cons
no breaks, bad pay and management
Was inmate
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  San Luis, AZApril 10, 2019
Was inmate there for a few years and had this job the entire time until I went home from there and it was a good job to ha e. Always work needed done. Stayed busy and productive.
liked working there
Accounting Specialist I, Grade 16 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 9, 2019
miss the people and the place. lots of camaraderie. everyone likes to help everyone. lots of internal promotions and great morale due to job security!
Great stepping stone into law enforcement
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 27, 2019
I worked there for 6+ years and it was okay. You get a lot of help from fellow staff and it feels like a family. The only problem is administration. They're constantly out to get staff and side more with convicted criminals than the officers.
Pros
Great health care package and helpful nonadministrative staff
Cons
Poor management and administrative choices have made the place very unsafe.
Fast paced, constantly changing environment
Accounting Specialist Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2019
Fast paced work environment. I have learned many computer applications during my tenor. Trained to manage office staff in addition to inmate population. Diverse setting. Intense culture which takes Security training and devotion to monitoring your surroundings at all times. The hardest part of this job is dealing with the constant turnover of staff. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing the results of inmate programming to prepare inmates for transition into the free world, assisting with reducing recidivism.
Pros
State Pension benefit
Cons
No pay raise for Administration staff in 13 years
A work day in prison
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  San Luis, AZMarch 24, 2019
Officers are exposed to people with different diseases and medical conditions. Currently there is a shortage in staff so you usually work by yourself performing the duties of 2 or 3 other people. In order to obtain overtime you would have to travel 2 to 4 hours on your days off at another complex. Your are under constant stress and risk of being assaulted.
Pros
Year round job, free daily meal
Cons
Shortage in staff, no overtime, risk of contracting diseases
Staff made a difficult environment easier.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZMarch 22, 2019
Morning Briefing with Unit Staff. Weekly Briefing with Senior Staff. Talk to Uniform Staff about problems or issues and try to resolve. Talk to inmates regarding problems or issues and try to resolve. Inspect work areas at the Unit to be sure there are no discrepancies or violations. Check on assigned staff members to make sure they have no problems or issues. Although there was much more to the jobs, this should suffice.

I chose to go to my staff instead of waiting for them to come to me. I believe they appreciated it. I would periodically go to inmates' cells to check on their wellbeing. Again, they appreciated being able to talk to Senior Staff occasionally to get another viewpoint.

The hardest thing was when there was an incident which required all staff be present to assist or an inmate who decided to take out all his anger out on you when you were just minding your own business. I did not let the vulgarity and insults go unchecked. I used the opportunity to try to diffuse the anger and try to get to the real reason for the outburst. If that didn't work, I would leave the area and allow them time to cool off. More times than not, the inmate would apologize for their actions and we then could try to resolve the issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the "aha" moment! When you see that lightbulb switch on in the other person's eyes! Also, the lifelong friendships I made with my fellow co-workers.
Pros
healthcare, retirement
Cons
The "Cons"! I did work in a prison!!! It was an awesome experience, though.
Enjoyed working there for the past twenty years.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZMarch 21, 2019
Great place to work and gain experience in many areas of the department. Unlimited learning and advancement. Pay is way too low and contributes to low staffing levels.
Pros
Accumulate leave time
Cons
Short staffed
Worse Job Ever
Correctional Officer 2 (Former Employee) –  Lewis PrisonMarch 16, 2019
Get braided by inmates who want to kill you every day. Look killers in the eye in PC who tell you (Which they are not supposed to) what they did to be there. Deal with lifers, who don't care about anything because there's nothing worse that can happen to them.
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
Everything!
Great place to work.
Investigator III Special Security Unit (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2019
Department Of Corrections was a great place to work. I learned a lot from some of the season officers upon starting in 1997. Everyone knows about being a team and looking out for each other.the hardest part to me was getting use of being in a confined area for 8 hours a day.
Pros
promotions
Very political environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  ArizonaMarch 8, 2019
Great Benefits. Horrible work environment. Very political. Its all about who you know and what they owe you. More characters needed to complete review.
Multi-tasking
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZMarch 2, 2019
The Arizona Department of Corrections is a hard working environment for people who are up for a challenge but very passionate about their career as well.
Horrid place.
Cept (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZFebruary 28, 2019
Worked there 2 years...everything positive or productive that I accomplished was rapidly torn apart or damaged in some way..once a classroom was up and running..the so called bosses would change teachers or cancel them for months. As a result fewer inmates got to obtain GED etc. It was a full time circus.

For the pay..it was not worth the stress..to work in such a sad environment..you are isolated even among staff.
Pros
Curriculm matched student needs
Cons
See above
Typical day at work
Janitor, Jay's Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Tucson, ArizonaFebruary 27, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of consistent environmental work outside on the grounds. I learned much more horticulture trades. The management was very poor. The hardest part of the job was knowing that I wasn't getting paid well for the effort that I was putting in. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was obtaining experience.
Pros
Gained experience
Cons
Low compensation
Demanding, oppressive environment.
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZFebruary 18, 2019
High stress potential and physically demanding environment. Confrontation management skills a must. This departments salary is not consummate with the normal range and as a result has a high turn over rate.
Pros
Retirement and Health benefits.
Cons
Frequently short staffed and hazardous environment.
Satisfactory Employer
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  ASPC FlorenceFebruary 16, 2019
Staff out numbered (8-10 staff to 680 inmates)
Administration supports inmates over staff
No pay raises for over twelve years
No job security for Sergeant and above (no appeal rights)
Pros
Decent health insurance
Cons
No administrative support, no legislative support in terms of pay raises, Director received 30% pay raise and staff received no pay raises
Excellent working with the youth
Youth Program Officer III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2019
Good job with many demands. Much favoritism by management.Responsible for referrals on assessments level care, completed monthly continuous Case Plans for incarcerated youth

Facilitated supportive individual counseling as well as daily groups on mental health, substance abuse, anger management and social skills

Completed necessary paperwork for their (JCRB) release, made arrangements for youth to receive after care services in the community

Demonstrated sensitivity and respect for cultural diversity

Wrote incident reports to document observations

Assisted with special education initiatives, tutoring students achieve their 8th grade diploma. Achieved 100% success rate for all students
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no lunch time, favoritism
Corrections is a calling
Correctional Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Winslow, AZFebruary 12, 2019
Some people become EMT or police; some become nurses or morticians. Corrections is a calling.
People that get into corrections because it pays better than the last job, or because it is a "fresh start", are doomed to suffer frustrations of wanting more: not because the career sucks, but because their life does.
There are good people in every profession; there are bad ones too. The intent of the ADC is to create more safety in our communities by effectively warehousing the "lifer" criminals, reducing recidivism for people that made mistakes in life, and by educating the 96% that will be returned to our neighborhoods eventually.
Under staffed
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 7, 2019
The biggest problem is lack of funds and understaffed. if they had better pay and more staff the job wouldn't be as stressful and unsafe. I loved the job but my safety was more important.