Arizona Department of Corrections Culture reviews

verbal skills
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Douglas, AZApril 16, 2019
I use my verbal skills to deescalate situations. I learned to observe situations and study them. I enjoyed working with different people. The hardest part of the job was unexpected.
Pros
job security
Fast paced, constantly changing environment
Accounting Specialist Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2019
Fast paced work environment. I have learned many computer applications during my tenor. Trained to manage office staff in addition to inmate population. Diverse setting. Intense culture which takes Security training and devotion to monitoring your surroundings at all times. The hardest part of this job is dealing with the constant turnover of staff. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing the results of inmate programming to prepare inmates for transition into the free world, assisting with reducing recidivism.
Pros
State Pension benefit
Cons
No pay raise for Administration staff in 13 years
Great place to work.
Investigator III Special Security Unit (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2019
Department Of Corrections was a great place to work. I learned a lot from some of the season officers upon starting in 1997. Everyone knows about being a team and looking out for each other.the hardest part to me was getting use of being in a confined area for 8 hours a day.
Pros
promotions
Typical day at work
Janitor, Jay's Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Tucson, ArizonaFebruary 27, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of consistent environmental work outside on the grounds. I learned much more horticulture trades. The management was very poor. The hardest part of the job was knowing that I wasn't getting paid well for the effort that I was putting in. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was obtaining experience.
Pros
Gained experience
Cons
Low compensation
Fun workplace
Napkin Roller (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 23, 2019
Excellent job and opportunities and a fun place to work. Management is helping you all the way to include advancement within the company and a very fun job!
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Healthcare
Employee Training
Correctional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2019
ADOC invests in staff training a lot, and this helps better staff performance on the job. Staff are required to maintain certain level of professionalism, an or outside of job environment.
Good Place to Work
Health Services Compliance Monitor II (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZDecember 18, 2018
Great place to work and the staff are very cooperative. I have really enjoyed working for the department, but with an advanced degree there is no room to advance.
Work depends on inmates in Hospital setting.
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZDecember 17, 2018
Work involves working with Hospital staff and providing a safe
and secure work place.for both the inmate and staff.
The hardest part of the job is working with inmates that are
not compliant.
job performance
Correctional officer (Current Employee) –  Yuma ArizonaNovember 16, 2018
conducting security for inmates and staff can be very challenging. Meeting people and learning about them is a very interested task of everyday life.
Pros
Become more experinece in job performance
Cons
Shortness of staff. Makes job very stressful for staff
Az. Department of Corrections
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZOctober 10, 2018
Typical day at work: Each day of work was every busy. Never a dull moment.
What I learned: I learned how to manage staff and how to problem solve better.
Management: learned how to multi task better by being a manager.
The hardest part of the job: Is dealing with inmates on a daily bases.
The most enjoyable part of the job. That would be working with the fire crew that the department had and learning new things every day.
Pros
You will never have a dull moment.
Cons
Hours and pay
head counts and inmate cell searches (Former Employee) –  San Luis, AZ 85349September 18, 2018
Good place to get experience. Met alot of wonderful coworkers It was a pleasure to meet people with different backgrounds. To many young people are being hired and dont know how to lead . This generation of officers are not strong minded.
Underpaid and overworked
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZAugust 7, 2018
The department has suffered in recent years due to staff leaving for other law enforcement agencies due to lack of pay raises. This decrease in staff has made it a difficult place to work. Understaffing is dangerous, especially in a correctional setting. Their only way of retaining good officers is to pay them accordingly and competitively with other law enforcement agencies
Fun worplace face paced
Painter/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 31, 2018
I had a great boss and great co-workers. The jobs were faced paced and a variety of special projects that needed our attention which kept us busy. It also made time pass quickly.
Pros
Great boss, great co-workers
Cons
Working outside
Great Place to work
PROGRAM PROJECT SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2018
Arizona Department of Corrections is a great place to work. The management and people you work with and interact with daily are easy going and the understanding. There is always room for promotions and learning new skills.
High Stress Environment
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  ASPC PerryvilleJune 27, 2018
Department of Corrections has good benefits to offer, Medical, Dental, 401k, etc. However politics plays a big part with the Administration. A very negative environment to work in. The employees are treated worse than the inmates. Haven't seen a raise in over 12 years.
Pros
Discounts around town (but you have to ask for them) Eventhough you are discouraged to do so.
Cons
No work life balance. As an employee, you are just a number.
I love working with the inmates
Psychological Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 13, 2018
After 20 years in the behavioral heath field I still love what I do. I enjoy working with the inmates, the inmates make my job. The hardest part of my job, is knowing how difficult it is going to be not to come back due to lack of resources/employment opportunities in the community.
Pros
Not being micro managed
Cons
Prision Culture - lack of empathy and compassion
Like most careers, it's what you make of it.
Correction Officer II, Sergeant (Former Employee) –  VariousJune 6, 2018
The job can be a 'feast or famine' depending on where you're posted. It's a good job for younger people wanting to use it as a stepping stone for other law enforcement jobs or for folks transitioning from a different career.

If you can adjust into the environment, be willing to make some sacrifices and pay your dues, and show some maturity then it's a great job and you're doing meaningful work that benefits the Public.

Like any job, the quality of the people you work with varies. Some of your co-workers are the best you've ever worked with and some of them are the worst. The same applies to dealing with convicted felons: some are easy to work with and others not so much.

It's easy to advance and promote if you want which is great if you're competent, but the tradeoff is that less qualified individuals can advance just as easily and make everyone's job harder. Over the years I've seen the mid-level supervision ranks (sergeants, lieutenants) increasingly suffer from a lack of quality candidates, and that has an effect on officer performance.

Administration has also changed and become more heavy-handed in implementing policies and procedures without seriously considering the feedback from those who have to enforce it. There needs to be a serious rebalance in roles and decision-making powers between mid-level supervision and administration. It's too heavy on the top. There are several factors that can be attributed to this dysfunctional cycle, and AZDOC needs to get out of it.

Despite the appearance of a military-style command structure it's messier in practice
  more... and resembles a stereotypical office environment.

Overall, I'd recommend working there for starters and give it at least five years. It's not the perfect career but what is? If you have people skills, a solid work ethic, and can keep an eye on the bigger picture then you'll do good there.

You can also be introverted and work in a prison long as you show that you have a backbone and maturity.
Pros
Benefits package, some great people working there, pay is good for small town areas, easy to advance, good training. If you're doing the job right and being ethical, you're making your community a safer place.
Cons
Ease of advancement leads to unqualified employees in special positions and supervision, stagnant wages and not competitive in urban populations, out-of-touch administration with a tendency to micromanage, weak mid-level supervision, negative-thinking people, and high turnover rate.
Great Experience
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZJune 6, 2018
I feel like it was a great experience. Lots of people that i treated like family and vice versa. Working with inmates was no biggie because of the great team we worked with.
Special Investigator position
Investigator AIU (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 1, 2018
Large organization abilty to know job and culture a must. Scal sometimes is frozen by sate authority not AZDOC which makes or creates a turnover, as state does not stay competitive.
Pros
Fair treatment good atmosphere
Cons
Pay rate need to be addressed
Great opportunities and benefits
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 10, 2018
This was one of my first state jobs and I would have loved to stay but was given another opportunity that I had to take so I took it. All in all it was a great place to work for and would recommend it to anyone
Pros
Everything was great here