Arizona Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Difficult to balance work and home life.
Child Protective Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2018
Worked too many hours, with travel time taking much time. Difficult families to work with. Supervisor usually overwhelmed, along with caseworkers. Case load very high. Deadlines for too many agencies causes stress. Not much guidance at start.
Pros
Coworkers helpful at times
Cons
Very stressful!
Could be better
PROGRAM SERVICE EVALUATOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 31, 2018
Management improvements would change my whole opinion other than the 11.8% taken out of check in 6 months for retirement. That hurts if you don't have a second income.
Not a place to work if you do not have more than one income in the household
Eligibility Worker II (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 31, 2018
The job itself is not a bad job. A typical day has you seeing approximately 7-10 cases. You assess, interview and determine eligibility for programs within the system. For the most part, the clientele can be interesting. If you want a job like this, you have to be able to work with all kinds of people and have patience. I have learned, if you like helping people, this is a great job. If you tend to take home stray puppies and try to fix everyone, this is not the job to have. If you have spent time in the corporate world, public service is a culture shock. There are only two types of people that work here, ones that want to sit back and coast to retirement, and ones who will cut your throat to advance up the government chain. Management depends on the location. Let me put it to you this way, interpretation of the policies, and there are many books on policies, is first and foremost stressed. Depending on who you talk to depends on the interpretation. If you like structure and expect policy to be across the board; if you expect management to be fair, if you expect that someone will do the right thing because it is the right thing to do; this is not the job you want. The hardest part of this is job is knowing that at the end of the day, there are going to be more families that are coming through the same door tomorrow. All of them have a story, some of them will lie to you and will get benefits. Some of them that you know are trying and you really want to help, you are going to have to say no to. The most enjoyable part of the job is back to the clients. When you get that hug  more... from the old man that only has social security and trying to make it or the young mother that is trying so hard. That's the only reason I have been there as long as I have.  less
Pros
helping people, health insurance costs less, hard to be terminated
Cons
low pay for expectations, mandatory retirement contributions 12% of gross pay, only 1 raise then capped no matter how long you're there, bad management
a great working environment that appreciated their workers
Program Service Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 28, 2018
Arizona Department of Economic Security is a great place because they protected their workers to the utmost and helped them in the process of interviewing people for their federal benefits in a timely manner.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sometimes had to work on saturdays
Stressful and intimidated work environment
Program Service Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2018
Dictating and Authoritative
Non-conforming
Not understanding
Benefits
Cons
Inefficient
Review of DES
Training Officer I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2018
DES is such a large agency and has so many different divisions, I found it difficult to feel stable from day to day. I learned alot and would like to work there again, depending on the position. The most enjoyable part was the people. Very dedicated, but overworked and underpaid.
Pros
Learned alot!
Cons
salary
Great job to have
Data Security Analyst - Intern (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2018
The people are great, everyone is friendly and professional, and there are great opportunities to learn and advance your skills. I have been here for two months and it has really been a great opportunity to have.
Pros
Great team, benefits, and work schedule
productive always positive
ITT TECH MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  1789 W Jefferson stJuly 24, 2018
very professional able to learn any position available,job Security/Advancement, good job culture, good managment, also very good compensations, very good job balance
Fast pace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2018
This job had the potential to be very stressful. First point of contact for many people that are needing mental health and substance abuse and domestic violence classes.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Stressful clients
Job
Program Service Evaluator - Family Assistance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2018
Wide open work environment and loud. I would take calls all day, never a dull moment. Enjoyed working for the company and would work for them again, anytime.
You need to brown nose if you want to get ahead or get pay increase
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
If you don't belong to the "club" then management create a very hostile work environment and if you report it, you are retaliated.

It is very hard to be promoted unless you are very well liked; it is not about your experience or skills. There are no pay increases ever unless you get promoted or if you are in upper management.
Pros
You can make a difference in clients life
Cons
Everything else
Very challenging, fast paced, required a lot of understanding and patience
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 15, 2018
DES services thousands of applicants, some are trying to take advantage of the system, and that is frustrating. However, there are stop gaps to report those incidents, and it is a great feeling when you know you have helped a family have the opportunity to get Job training and pull themselves up for a better more secure life style, with respect and dignity, and better their family situation..
Pros
Good benefits, steady employment
Cons
click among workers, favoratism evident at times, some good manag ers/supervisors and some not so astute.e
High volume work
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2018
Interviewed and determined eligibility for indigent and low income individuals for cash assistance , food stamps , medical benefits programs .
Referred clients to other programs as needed.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Uncaring worker's and managers
Almost productive and a cut-throat work environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2018
I think that there wasn't so much gossip about the applicants, and employees that get away with leaving the grounds on break and not helping out the other employees at DES, this would be a better place to work. I worked for them for several years and the office at McKinley amazed me how people were getting away with things and how I had to work until after hours until 6pm to handle a line of people until the work was completed and knowone cared and got away with it. The last two years that I was employed their they would have clicks of people that would just sit around ldoing nothing and I had the most vacation leave and sick leave. When asked to use a little of my sick leave when I had a car accident they would turn me down, and I accumulated 600 hrs of sick leave. That did not seem real and unprofessional.

My information is real and not made up. I believe this is a reason why I have suffered for years and not being able to establish a good permanent job for years.
Pros
Benefits such as health, life, dental, was beneficial for me and my two daughters
Cons
Unethical practices from some of the office managers.
Great work/life balance but pay sucks
SENIOR PROCUREMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2018
Discovered there are no annual raises, no bonuses, and/or no adjustment for cost of living. You need to post for another job to increase your salary. Do you have a work and life balance. It is a true 40 hours a week job. You get discount if you take public transportation to work. Job is enjoyable because what you do is resulted in assisting the most vulnerable Arizonians. This is a true love what you do job.
Pros
True 40 hours a week job
Cons
Pay is low, no annual raises, no bonuses, and no adjustment for cost of living
Cut throat environment, this job will change you.
Program Services Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2018
Working DES is very stressful. There are no raises, no bonuses, employee appreciation and now there is no more concern for the people we serve because now the theme is quantity over quality. DES cannot keep employees so they over work the employees that do stay. All they care about is numbers so there are limits to how long you can take to help clients, even if the client needs more help. The benefits are good but there is a mandatory retirement deducted from your salary at an extremely high rate making it almost impossile to live off the net pay. The workplace is a hostile environment, you can't trust anybody and the morale is terrible. If you are a happy person who wants to be appreciated for the quality of work and paid accordingly , please don't work here.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor salary / management
A great place to work. No raises. Little room for advancement
Human Service Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2018
A typical day depends on your caseload. The work environment can become stressful at times. Very flexible work schedule. Greta benefits for the entire family.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No raise
Great agency!
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJuly 2, 2018
This was my first "real job" out of college. I had no idea what I was doing and the supervisor took a chance on me. She took me under her wing and helped me learn many skills that I lacked.
Reliable place to work
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 29, 2018
Arizona Department of Economic Security is a place where you should work if looking for a job to help other people. It is well organized and structured, easy for new employees to navigate the workflow.
Pros
Excellent mission
Cons
Salary is not enough for single parent to live on.
Not Interested
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZJune 26, 2018
The state of Arizona has not given across the board raises to its employees in over ten years. There are no annual raises nor merit increases. Therefore, the only way to get a raise in pay is to get promoted, and that creates a very cutthroat atmosphere in what is supposed to be a helping field.