Arizona Department Of Public Safety

Arizona Department Of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Great agency to work for with evolving culture
Working for AZDPS is a great opportunity. There are many opportunities for movement throughout the agency and across the state. Training opportunities are ample and when working for the right team, you will have every chance possible to develop yourself as a team member. AZDPS leads the way in changing the culture of law enforcement agencies with respect to leadership of both sworn and civilian employees and their development into leadership roles.
An excellent place to learn, train and advance professionally.
I built a good team and tremendously enjoyed working with them. They worked most diligently to complete every new project. My staff was dedicated to the completion of the daily and long term tasks including special projects. We all worked to meet and succeed the work requirements which fluctuated each day. The workplace culture was one of support and training and commitment to the unit goals. Along with their own goals management supported the goals of my unit. The hardest part of the job is knowing that we needed to constantly upgrade programs, machinery, and advertising knowing that there were so many timing issues. We always pushed through and enjoyed our accomplishments which made the company successful.
Great Career
I have been with the department for 20 years and have loved every minute of it. I’ve worked for bad leaders, good leaders and great leaders. The one thing that always stays the same is the fun I’ve had in this career.
Pros
Job Security, people, benefits
Cons
Pay parity, some of the leadership
Good place to work - Compensation needs to improve
The overall culture is great - If you are looking for benefits only this is the place for you, if you are looking for true compensation then it might not work - the overall financial compensation aka what you receive on your pay day must improve.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Needs higher pay
Great learning environment, diverse work mates
I worked and finished a degree that I was able to apply to my job at DPS. Working with compliance and project development/management drew me into my university studies until eventually my skills outpaced the requirements of my job and I had to move on to grow.

I would have loved the opportunity to stay on and work into project management, but I was being used in that capacity at a lower pay scale and couldn't see the one PM slot opening up any time in that near future.

I enjoyed working with city leadership, state and county leaders and incorporating my law enforcement and IT knowledge into the conversation with developers, stakeholders and end-users.
Pros
People, statewide agency service and great learning environment
Cons
limited growth potential
Az dps
Been an Arizona Highway Patrolman for 23 years enforcing Arizona State law both in Traffic code and Criminal Code. Member of the community and on many boards. Have work intelligence and criminal intelligence.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Poor work hours
Can be a rewarding job for some
Enjoyed some of the jobs I was able to do. Loved working with many of the people. Upper management micromanaged way too much and made things more difficult more often than not. Steady hours and benefits made the whole job worth while.
Pros
Hours/pay/benefits
Cons
Micromanagement/unqualified bosses
Az dps
Typical work day includes a variety of tasks that range from life threatening to dull. I learned a lot of life lessons while working with them. Management is ok.
Work life balance very one sided.
Pay is substantially below market value. Supervisors feel you need to be available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. They want you to drop what your doing and be available for special details.
The best and worst job you will ever have.
Anyone who has worked as a police officer knows the challenges faced by officers. Working as a highway patrolman in an outlying area provided a wide range of experiences. From traffic enforcement, accident reconstruction, cattle herding, human trafficking, drug trafficking to imigration challenges and working with multiple federal agencies. A typical day may include any or all of the above mentioned tasks. Highway patrol is a lonely job, you are on your own with little to no chance of back up. However, you are on your own and can stay as busy as you want to, especially in a border region with so many different things going on. The hardest part of the job is doing death notifications. Helping people is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Self reliance and daily challenges
Cons
Shift work, stress and little time for family on holidays.
Very rewarding
Professional environment, incredible leaders, advancement opportunities, paid training, strong values, family feel, community involvement, serving the public.
Would not recommend with the current administration in place
This used to be a great place to work. The current administration manages by bullying, and the retaliation is sky high! Many tenured people are leaving for other agencies/jobs, and you cannot get a pay raise unless the legislature approves it. The pay here is at least 20% behind other agencies in the area. There are some amazing people working here, but other than that, there is not much good about the agency right now.
Fun flying, not paid well!
For the type of flying required of this job the pay is way behind and under the government level for the same work!

Management is the same, as it was before...nothing new.

Love the variety of flying.
Pros
the variety of flying. rescue, law enforcement, ems, fire...
Cons
have not gotten a raise in 15 years!
Very pleasant atmosphere for work
As a security guard at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. Gained experience in Security Operations , via monthly training meetings, In my opinion, security is under appreciated, and under paid for the dedication they display on a daily basis.
Pros
Interaction with a variety of people, and cultures.
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Good Place to Work at. Would recommend this place to anyone. It is a challenging and fun place to be at. There is a lot of positive things to learn about this company.
State of Arizona is a great long term quality place to start a career. Safety, honesty and integrity are held to the highest standard at the Department of Public Safety.
Benefits
Cons
Enjoyed all aspects of law enforcement
Enjoyed the atmosphere of law enforcement and learned a lot about dealing with the public in person and over the phone. Enjoyed being a Reserve Officer mostly and was probably the most enjoyable part of what I did while with the department. Hardest part of the position was taking calls from relatives of people who had been involved in serious accidents.
Great People
Arizona DPS is a great place to work. The people are great & the atmosphere is very even keeled, at least in the department I worked in. I was an Intermittent Employee, so work was on an "As-Needed" basis.
law enforcement job
I retired from AZDPS after 20 years with them and worked all over the state, was a trainer and coordinator in RADAR and LASER, I worked in public information safety and school bus inspections.
Friendly workplace
The staff at AZDPS are friendly and make you feel like part of a family.

I learned excellent customer service skills to interact with the public, and numerous other policing skills.
Pros
take home vehicle
Cons
lack of raises
Excellent place to work
Great people. Really enjoy it. The hiring process is slow so be prepared but it's worth it once you get on board! Frontline staff are great. Hard working.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona Department Of Public Safety. Our community is ready to answer.
Arizona Department Of Public Safety Reviews by Location