Arizona Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive but stressful place to work.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 18, 2018
A typical work day there was stressful but rewarding. I learned to be more patient with workplace culture. I also learned how the highways are built and maintained.The hardest part was the work culture as well as favoritism. The best part was learning some of the ins and outs of the company.
Frustrating and Stressful
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZApril 11, 2018
Overall experience was great and I learned a lot, worked with some very good people, external agencies, and great projects..

But, changes in top mgt were horrible for staff and policies, personnel rules changed for the worse, no advancement or promotion potential in my job field, no cost of living increases (for anyone working for the state), no wage increases unless state legislature gives you one. Forced to go uncovered - no unions - no protections for workers. Horrible and archaic personnel rules putting all non-management staff is jeopardy with little to no recourse.

Innovative, creative, and cost savings ideas are typically ignored and it takes a long time to get anything positive done or changed.
Pros
work/life balance good, benefits awesome
Cons
Engineers should be hired to engineer, not manage people
Be prepared to settle in
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2018
People get way too comfortable from lack of accountability making it impossible to get a promotion to a better paying job without someone retiring or dying.
Excelent place to work
Automatic traffic recorder specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2018
Our job was to ensure the collection of traffic data. We used inductive loops and modems to collect the data. Our equipment was a typical so we often had to train the subcontractor on site. Over my 10 years experience I had over 5 managers of various involvement. Our shrinking team had more responsibilities with no pay compensation. But the people were great to work with.
This place isn't for Everybody
Transportation Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2018
I experienced practices, individuals, and workplace culture that I did not agree with. I spoke to my supervisor about it, and was laid off shortly after. Most of my co-workers were great, but management coupled with work-place politics seemed to create a different agenda.
Daily Routine
District Environmental Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 18, 2018
From reviewing environmental law to discussing regulation at new project meetings, this job was wonderful experience starting out. The management was respectable, cooperative and informative.
Highway Project with Granite Construction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2017
I do not work for ADOT. They are the client on the project. Intense / Competitive environment. Narrow opportunity for advancement. Largest project undertaken by ADOT.
Secure job
TECHNICAL SUPPORT UNIT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2017
Best experience ever. I learned a lot at technical support, great supervisor, worked with different companies.lots of phone customer service work, met a lot of people from different work places while working for tech suppor.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
short breaks
A pleasure to work for before the consolidation of jobs to save money
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85007December 11, 2017
Overall the job and the supervisors were a pleasure to work for however it only takes one bad supervisor to change the environment and the motivation of the employees. HR no longer has the best interest of the employee but that of the Supervisor regardless of the prior history of complaints against them. There is no incentive due to no yearly raises so the only option for a pay increase is to leave and promote to a higher paying salary job.
Pros
great health benefits, 11 paid holidays
Cons
low salary, no cost of living raise, HR does not treat employee and supervisor equally
Competitive
ASO I (Personnel Liaison) (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2017
My job takes care of all personnel actions for my division. I read emails, listen to voice mails, Work on our metrics for our continuous improvement.
I learn that every day there is a new change to either policy or procedures, guidelines.
Our management there is a lot of micro managing.
Culture- Everyone comes in to do the job and tries to have a fun day.
The hardest part of my job is the constant changes and no one communicating those changes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is all my internal and external customers that I get to talk to and provide my support to
Benefits
Cons
Constant Changes
Great place
Training Officer I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 11, 2017
Good opportunities and great benefits awesome people to work with. Will recommend this job to anyone who is up for challenges and learning about ADOT
Fascinating organization with diverse opportunities
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2017
Great place to start your career if you want to work in government. Organization has very diverse operations so they hire for a very wide range of positions.
Pros
Rapid change in assignments
Cons
High turnover in some departments
Good place to gain experience as junior engineers.
Design Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2017
It used to be an excellent place to start your career 20 years ago. Typical working days are ; easy working days, fun, educational, less stressful and lot of training opportunities.
Pay it is not so good since it is controlled by legislature. no raises or cost of living for more than 12 years.
positive
EHO - Case Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2017
it was a great place to work and learn.
I resigned my position due to I wanted to retire. Now I'm looking for part time work. Working with Customers was a pleasure to solve their issues and concerns. Taking their Hearing Requests and getting them ready for Hearing Date. I learned a lot in this position.
Pros
benifits
Diverse
Small Business Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Office of Civil RightsSeptember 18, 2017
I can only speak to the office in the department I was employed. Very diverse and the director was very knowledgeable. The entire office was filled with individuals who understood their work and the work was supported by the director.

She kept the pace of the office fast and demanded great work product. She was professional and the atmosphere in the office was excellent.
Pros
understanding and knowledgeable boss
Cons
low pay
OPERATIONS SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 28, 2017
ADOT is a decent working environment. You are definitely are not going to become rich or bank working here. However, you will yourself enriched with time off and a balanced opportunities and still have a life outside of work.
Pros
Pto, pay can be good. Balance with personal life
Cons
Pay can be bad, depending on position.
Fun place to work
State Government Intern (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 7, 2017
I really feel honored being involved in ADOT. My supervisor and mentor teach me many things and I know clearly what I want to do. Life is not so hard, you just need to finish the things you are assigned to. But the pay is less than industry.
Ok place to work
Highway Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJune 24, 2017
Management and the work was good. Working by the highway is pretty rough and cars drive real fast right by you (within 10 feet sometimes). Benefits and pay was good and the job security is good as well.
Pros
Management and benefits
Cons
its hot in Yuma during the summer months
Improving culture, strong leadership team, opportunities to showcase your talents
Public Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 4, 2017
ADOT has undergone a culture transformation over the past four years. A continuous improvement philosophy and the governor's Arizona Management System encourage employees to make improvements to their workplace processes. The Motor Vehicle and Administrative Services divisions are especially progressive in making changes for the better. Most employees are positive about this culture change and annual employee satisfaction surveys reflect that.

Pay is relatively low compared to similar positions in county agencies and cities/towns. There have been no pay raises for more than five years on order of the conservative Arizona Legislature. ADOT does offer "bonus" payments of $500 or more for employees who receive excellent annual reviews. Employees may also receive "spot incentives" for outstanding performance.

Benefits are excellent. You choose from four medical insurance providers, plus dental, vision and life insurance. For most employees, the monthly cost is very low. A pension plan is funded by deductions of 11% from your pay. There are 10 paid holidays and paid time off is accrued at the rate of about 8 hours per month.

With more than 3,500 employees working across the state, there are all sorts of opportunities to showcase your talents and have the satisfaction of serving your fellow Arizonans. Job security is good, but your ability to advance may be limited. I get the impression most employees enjoy their work. There are many long-time employees.

Challenges for ADOT include a funding tax rate from 1991 that has not been adjusted for inflation (see conservative
  more... Arizona Legislature comment above). Revenue shortfalls limit the agency's ability to do its best work, but a sharp leadership team maximizes available revenue.

If you take a position in Phoenix, note that the main administrative buildings are old and need modernization. The main office building dates back to 1956 and the engineering building is almost as old. Some employees work in what are essentially prefabricated huts in a parking lot.
Pros
Excellent low-cost health insurance, intelligent leadership team, opportunities to learn and succeed
Cons
Old office building facilities, low state agency pay relative to counties and cities
I had a very good and hard working crew
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2017
I enjoyed my job and my work crew.We were promised raises after 90 days but they decided not to do this.I needed to work because like anybody else I had to pay rent ect. Then they changed our hours and are locations to work at. Two of my crew members quit and my superviser. So I left on good terms and moved to seattle
Pros
We had banquits which were nice
Cons
I had no complaints I don't like being lied to