Arizona Grand Resort Employee Reviews

understaffed constantly
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 4, 2018
I work at the waterpark as a lifeguard. Weekdays are always understaffed and sometimes we go 4-5 hours in the sun before we get a break. Management doesn't care about trying to hire more people. They're waiting another month before even interviewing people. Hours are hard because of heat and standing. Lower management is better than higher. Their emergency plans are very unorganized and if something serious were to happen, a lot of guards wouldn't know what to do.
Pros
$3 mediocre lunch, good coworkers
Cons
min. wage, management doesn't care about making the park better
Good job for high school
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2018
Life guarding was key for the park to be up and running. Responsibilities included scanning the water every 2 minutes for people or lost items or anything not supposed to be there. Required to attend paid CPR training twice a month . Many unreliable employees worked there so I was always covering someones shift going over my hours. Very hot so must be able to sit in the heat for long periods of time. The best part of working there was getting to relax outside or being in the water when it was very hot.
Busser
Busser (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85044February 16, 2018
its a good place to work, you can eat there for a dollar I liked that. The people that work there are awesome I have a lot a good things to say about arizona grand resort
Horrible place to work!!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 23, 2017
Turn away now while you still can. This is the worst place I've ever worked. Culture is terrible, HR is the worst. I have never wanted to leave so badly. Don't even bother applying for this garbage of a company.
Pros
Cons
Management, Hr.
no support from management
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 12, 2017
Managers don't have any incentive to help the employees.
The hours are long with out breaks or break areas unless smoking next to the dumpster is your idea of a break area.
Great Seasonal Place for a Quick Buck
Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 16, 2017
Serving at the Oasis at the Arizona Grand Resort was a great place for meeting young students and recent grads that were transitioning into full time jobs with some (but only few) opportunities to move upward.
Pros
fun people, flexible schedule
Cons
inconsistent money, working outside in Arizona
Not for Passionate People
Pastry Cook I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2017
Don't be fooled by the job description. It sounded like a cool gig to me but I hardly ever got to do anything that I was told that I would be doing, and I've been there for a year (my last day is in less than a week). The schedule doesn't come out nearly enough in advance to have a life outside of work and will change at random. You'll be guilt-tripped for asking for certain days off, and even if they're approved, the chef won't check to make sure you're scheduled off on the correct days. If you want to advance your career in pastry, go somewhere else. The details for the Pastry 1 position are for a high level pastry cook, but they actual work you do is entry-level. I've personally done more at the bottom rung at other places than the top rung here.
Pros
Free food, decent coworkers
Cons
No one really cares, scheduling, dirty kitchen, stagnant career choice, micromanagers, low wages, low raises
Interesting Atmosphere
IT Manager / Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2017
The Arizona Grand Resort is a unique place to work, even if you have experience working in hospitality due to the large campus, several on-site restaurants, a golf course, and a water park.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Compensation could be better
Great Place to Work
Director of Rooms (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2016
The managers and associates at the Arizona Grand are amazing and dedicated. They are the back bone to the company. I appreciated the willingness to help and assist in anyway they can.
fun place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 1, 2016
being a life guard at Arizona grand resort was a fun experience you learned how to do CPR and other medical techniques to save someones life the culture and employees were great
Good temporary place to work
Security Officer/EMT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2016
Management is sub par and terrible pay but everyone who works there is pretty awesome. You get a good amount of freedom but working every weekend gets old. This place should just be a stepping stone for a better career.
Pros
People
Cons
pay
You'll be very productive but it won't matter if management has it out for you
Lobby porter (Former Employee) –  PhoAugust 18, 2016
There's definitely an issue with management or "a the people in power" the women are very unprofessional here and because most of the workers don't speak English well they get away with treating people poorly. I would honestly say DONT work the lobby porter position the other workers talked badly about me in Spanish assuming I didn't understand then they made a coo to get me fired because they didn't like me every day I got hassles that I should find a different job and why I wanted to work there which should have been none of their business nor concern. Management is just as bad as they back these employees since they've been there so long but doesn't
make it right. I wanted to go to HR about everything they said I had to go to management first and the unprofessional conversation they had with me made me walk out and go straight to HR but even they didn't help so I left because nobody should endure a work environment like this especially when they just wanna work DO NOT work for housekeeping completely unprofessional and they show favoritism
Pros
Lunches they serve and beautiful scenery
Cons
Management, Hr, and being treated like a second class citizen
Fun Workplace, great enviroment
Oasis Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 5, 2016
As a Worker in the gift shop, I would be in charge of checking people in and out of the water park, handling any issues with customer relations, and was in charge of cash register and micros machines.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
short breaks
Love my Job but....
Food and beverage hospitality (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2016
I have worked at the AZ Grand for almost a year now. For the most part I love my job. It's a beautiful environment and an exciting place to work. I'm constantly meeting new and interesting guests from all over the country and I truly enjoy people, so it's definitely my cup of tea.

Here are the cons: Management! Not all, in fact, most are very good, but the problem is the few that are bad, are really really bad and in high positions they don't belong in! The few imparticular I'm referring to are extremely uncaring, unempathetic, unprofessional, have very poor communication skills with the staff and often with the guests. What they should be doing is often passed down to the employee to deal with on their own. Often things are done by these managers that employees are constantly being told we are not allowed to do. Bottom line, the few Managers I'm referring to just really, truly don't care in the least about their employees and it's quite obvious to us.

One other major con is that the hours can be very long (10, 11 plus hour shifts sometimes) and we are NOT given breaks. There isn't even a place where we are allowed to eat except the very back by the dishpit, (no table, counter space, etc.) yet we are not allowed to take a break anyway to go back there for any length of time.

Again, this is a VERY small percentage of Management that I've encountered that are like this. I'm hoping it gets noticed soon and the ones that don't belong in a place like the Arizona Grand will be unable to keep hiding their true colors to their Superiors. I believe it's just a matter if
  more... time.

Back to the positive now. I have never worked with harder working fellow employees who truly care about guests and their coworkers. I do LOVE my job and hope that we can continue to keep the positive attitudes of the hard working employees that this gem of a place has working here!
Pros
Enviroment, guests, co-workers and earning potential
Cons
Specific managenent, no breaks, long hours, inconsistent schedules.
I like my job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 8, 2015
I like my job. So far I like working here. I have been here for less than six months. My typical day at work is about 10-14 hours depending on business. Thanks
Horrible
Banquet Set-Up (Former Employee) –  Tempe,AZJune 19, 2015
Dont ever work there unless you dont want to make any money and get treated poorly.
no breaks, no advancement, low wages, bad hours
Pros
free food
Cons
no breaks, no advancement, low wages, bad hours
Great opportunity to meet new people, great team work, unhappy staff
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2015
Great opportunity to meet new guests on a daily basis, fun environment to work in, understanding staff and team mates, high expectations, expected to be professional yet management and chefs were far from it.
Pros
healthcare, overtime, benefits
Cons
No breaks unless on a double, unprofessional fashion to treat employees/staff
Save yourself the pain and misery
server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2014
The entire restaurant is overall poorly ran. You will be treated horrible and harassed as a test to see if you are going to be able to make it there. The management changes so frequently that you can't even keep things straight. The management will openly bad mouth their employees to other employees.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
discrimination and harassment
Working at the Arizona Grand Resort
Food Runner Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2014
A typical day working at the Arizona Grand is was a task but I was able to handle it. Some of the tasks I was required to do was clean cabanas and help deliver food. I learned from my experience how to interact with costumers and guest. People want to be treated with respect and I was able to do that very easily. My co-workers were also helpful. We help each other with tasks in order to run a successful business. The hardest part of the day was being outside in the heat, after all, it is Arizona. The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to interact with costumers, I'm a people person and people relate to me easily.
Pros
Discounted lunches, tips
Cons
Not being able to stay at the resort
Fun and enjoyable
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2014
Typical day started when ever you were scheduled. Learned a lot in regards to customer service. The managers you worked with seemed to understand what you had to do and go through, but managers from other shifts and upper management had a complete disconnect from each shift. Advancement seemed to be more about who hung out with the managers; rather than who actually did their job. Hardest part of the job was when the water park opened up and you would have lines to check in that would take hours to get through. Most enjoyable was that if it was too busy to go to lunch they would buy it for us. Co-workers could be fun.
Pros
Occasional Free Lunches
Cons
Healthcare and Favoritism