Arizona Humane Society Employee Reviews

rewarding
Emergency Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2019
working at the humane society was very rewarding. You knew you were helping saving animals lives every day that you came in. everyone was so friendly and they all had big hearts.
Pros
rewarding, got to work with animals
Cons
low wages
poor
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 3, 2019
The supervisors do not have time to train or even meet with their team. Often the supervisors go to lunch and have the organization pay for it and call it a department lunch but they do not invite anyone from the department. Just themselves and a friend.
Wouldnt reccommend this place
TNR Driver (Former Employee) –  Sunnyslope, AZSeptember 20, 2018
First of all, they are very good to the animals. The TNR Boss wasn't a good manager and was always disengaged and cruel to employees. If you are great with bad management and Animals, then I recommend this job for you.
Pros
good pay, animals are awesome
Cons
Bad mangament, little training
Varied by the day
Adoption Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2018
Great place, great cause. Easy to stand behind what they're doing, but there's not real consistency in the work. Hours are great, always need people. Pay isn't much, but it never is in the non-profit business, that's not why anyone does it. However, the culture is difficult to navigate. When it comes to the animals, you get all the love and more. When it comes to the people, you have to fight to be heard, deal with next to daily conflict, and hard work doesn't always get recognized within a highly petty managerial environment.
Pros
Good PTO, work with animals, many departments to grow within
Cons
Immature work environment, petty management and authority figures, gossipy staffs, a lot of conflict and no real opportunity or freedom to resolve it
Hostile Environment & Poor Management
Animal Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sunnyslope, AZAugust 16, 2018
Filthy, negative atmosphere. Petty departments, favoritism. Those who actually work with the animals ironically get the least pay and respect. Behavior team does not work with the animals and instead the dogs are given trazodone instead of mental stimulation and attention. Clueless management and HR. Volunteer training is not even thorough. Dogs have hung themselves due to poor building structures. Not a safe environment for Animal Care people either.
Pros
Making an animal feel better
Cons
Hr, Management, Petty Staff & Favoritism
Great Cause Relationship Marketing
volunteer then staff (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 5, 2018
Collaborative. data entry, learning different software packages, getting attached to particular animals.

well defined procedure controls, resources proved invaluable
Pros
community priented, open door
Cons
emotionally draining with animals
Manager doesn’t know how to manage people.
Front Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2018
I was employed for a few months before I decided to leave. My manager thought she knew how to manage people because she knew everything, but had no idea how to manage people. Some of the people were really great to work with but others, stay away from. This position will be a revolving door if she continues to manage this position.
Stressfull and unfair
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2018
The Humane Society and the managers and employees in all areas are so worried about what everyone else is doing instead of what there job is suppose to be and when HR is brought into the mix they make it worse because they are one sided and instead if getting both sides of the story they take the side of the person or persons who are the favorites towards management.
Pros
Working and being around animals
Cons
Management and HR
"Ok" Overall
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2018
The best part about this job was working with the animals and helping them get new homes. The environment is more about who you know not your work performance.
Great place to start
CLIENT SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 29, 2018
The Arizona Humane Society is a great way to get your feet wet. It takes time and very determined person to push themselves to work through all the stress and fast-pace energy of the work place.
Productive and fast paced
Veterinary Clinic Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2018
Greet patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner
Check clients in and out , verify information, collect medical records
Answer telephone, screen calls, take detailed messages and provide resources
Make follow-up appointments on our computerized appointment system
Coordinate lab work, physician reports and correspondence
Maintain patient confidentiality
Update necessary information in medical records
Client communication notes in patient charts
File and maintain medical records
Provide clients with answers regarding medical treatment and products
Schedule appointments promptly for multiple veterinarians
Received and posted payments
Answer multiple lines and over 100 calls daily
There is NO other place like AHS
Emergency Animal Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2017
Balance is hard to find because it is the nature of the job. Management is always 'improving' and changing either themselves or job duties. That can be fun and stimulating if you are not already stressed from the job.
I have always been VERY impressed and grateful for the benefits and compensation. I LOVE AHS.
Animal care
Animal care specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2017
The humane society is a great place to support and it's a great place to feel like you're a part of. Obviously it's stressful being it's a shelter environment but the time spent with all the furry beings is reward enough.
Parted on bad terms.
Animal Care Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2017
Beginning of shift was always spent cleaning in one are aor another until front of house closed, then I would be feeding all of the dogs in the different buildings, then doubling back around to collect the bowls and do the dishes. Or I would be assigned to an area like adoptions, surgery, strays, or quarantine and I would be doing kennel cleans for dogs and cats the whole shift for those areas. Occasionally I would get to do computer work moving an animal to the adoptions floor.
Pros
Eventual discounts on animals.
Great place to start
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2017
I loved working thee and learned tons that carried me with my career. There are so many advancement in this company. Lots to do for this place adoptions or tech work
Pros
Great place
Cons
very productive and hectic environment
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2017
Our typical day starts off as cleaning and sanitizing. We get basically to clean all day and make sure the animals are kept right. do little extra stuff that usually is somewhat dumb. the workplace is crazy and everyone is moving so quick that no one really gets a minute to breath. the hardest part of the job is keeping everyone clean especially the puppies and kittens. We do enjoy having the animals around to keep us company.
Pros
get to be with the animals, good benefits
Cons
short breaks get in trouble easily to many people don't like a lot of people.
Great place to work if you want medical benefits for your pet
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2017
Management does not value their employees & there is much favoritism. If you're not liked by someone, you will be let go regardless of how much you care or how hard you work.
No consistency in how decisions are made & who makes them.
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2015
Giving animals a second chance filled my heart with joy and happiness. Staff was helpful and cheerful at all times. Very clean facility.
Fun, yet challenging job
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2014
customer service, animal intakes- vaccinate, collar and picture animals, then proceed to kennel. adoption returns, euthanasia requests.

relatively good management, but once working with other departments, lack of communication.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
lack of communication between departments
The work environment and management was so poor
Public Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2014
They always made me feel bad when I had doctor's appointments or was sick. The management was very contradicting. One day they would say do this and the next day they would get angry at you for it. I was even made fun of by my supervisor in front of everybody for having to leave when I got injured on the job. I never felt appreciated and felt like they did not care about anyone even people that brought in their pets they were just as down right awful to. I hated going to work every day I worked there. I loved helping the animals and community but the management made it tough to be there. Just look at how often you see ads for open positions there.